Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm ChangeWave today released the results of an early November survey of over 200 iPhone 4S owners, finding that 96% of them registered as either "very satisfied" or "somewhat satisfied", up from 93% for the iPhone 4 following its launch last year.

iphone_4s_satisfaction_nov11.jpg

Siri topped the list of most-liked features on the iPhone 4S, with nearly half of survey respondents citing it. Other positives include the ease of use, the new 8-megapixel camera, and faster browsing. On the downside, battery life issues and a lack of 4G (LTE) capability easily led the pack of complaints.
Two-in-five owners said they had experienced reduced battery life with their iPhone 4S (40%). But when asked how much of a problem this issue was for them, only 8% of all owners said it was a Very Big Problem while 20% said it was Somewhat of a Problem.
ChangeWave has long focused on dropped calls as one of its metrics, and the current survey reports a dropped call rate of 2.5% for the iPhone 4S, down significantly from the 5.2% rate for the iPhone 4 just after its launch. The significant drop is due in large part to Verizon now offering the iPhone, as Verizon iPhone 4S owners reported a dropped call rate of only 1.3% while AT&T iPhone 4S owners reported a rate of 4.1%. Sprint's iPhone 4S dropped call rate was not broken out in the survey.

Article Link: Survey Finds 96% of Customers Satisfied with iPhone 4S

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
wow, survey of 200 users. I actually asked about 10 iphone users and they were all very satisfied. 100%. :D

very reliable. thanks.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I'm sorry to say that after happily owning all the iPhones since 2007, I'm not one in that 96% this time. The first iPhone 4S I received was yellow, not white. Sent it back, was acknowledged by Apple as defective. Was told I'd receive a replacement in 3 days. Took many phone calls, (surprisingly !) incompetent customer service and 3.5 weeks. The second one I got had terrible, and I mean, Godforsaken terrible battery life. Sent it back and now waiting for the third one.

Not. Happy.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
wow, survey of 200 users. I actually asked about 10 iphone users and they were all very satisfied. 100%. :D

very reliable. thanks.

And billions of dollars of tv advertising is spent based on the polling of what a few thousand people watch on television.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
And billions of dollars of tv advertising is spent based on the polling of what a few thousand people watch on television.

You are wrong. Those ads are based on hundreds of thousands of viewers.

Only "overnights" are based on a few thousand homes... and even then, it's around 25,000.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003

very reliable. thanks.

200 of say 10-15 million users is accurate enough. Consider when Gallup does a survey they typically use a sample size of 1000 to represent a country of 300 million with a ±4% margin of error. According to their data increasing the sample size beyond 1000 only has a marginal improvement in accuracy.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
This study is trying to make some precise generalization based on only 200 participants. So what like 8 people weren't satisfied? How can they generalize it to millions of users?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Problem is the error rate for 200 is a hell of a lot higher.

TV is going to be around 2-3% for per night viewers. total ads they get it better over time as they get a higher and higher count of people they get the data on.

200 people in survey is pretty much crap. It way to little and chances are good way to much in a pocket.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This study is trying to make some precise generalization based on only 200 participants. So what like 8 people weren't satisfied? How can they generalize it to millions of users?

As long as the sample within the population being studied is selected at random, it doesn't take very many people to reduce the margin of error below a couple percentage points.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003

200 people in survey is pretty much crap. It way to little and chances are good way to much in a pocket.

Would you care to back this up with data proving 200 is too small a sample size?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

TV is going to be around 2-3% for per night viewers. total ads they get it better over time as they get a higher and higher count of people they get the data on.

What would the margin of error be for a random survey of 200 people from a population of 10-15 million? 5-7%?

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No Sprint dropped call info? Must be worse than I thought. That being said over the last 2 years with Sprint, I've only dropped maybe 5 calls. Unfortunately the data speed on 3G is sinful so I am waiting for my stupid contract to end and transfer to AT&T.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
MacRumors is also a skewed sampling. In fact EVERY forum is a skewed sampling. So 100 posts about bad battery life may seem like the whole world, but it's not.

Fandroids look like they are taking over the world, but surprise! they're not. They're just all on the forums blabbing away, all day long, making it much more annoying and useless to even read these comments anymore. Thanks for reading mine though! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.