Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenhauser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
iPhone 4, 5.0.1.

Recently, i've turned off iMessage since i've started using Whatsapp extensively, plus my carrier plan has 3000sms'n'mms/month so no need for cheapo iMessage stuff...

But the day i've turned iMessage off strange things started to happen: all the ppl that were chatting with me via iMessage STILL sent me lots of messages via iMessage (the SEND buttin was STILL blue on their iPhones!) and so i didn't receive all these messages!

What's worse, EVEN if they delete the conversation and start the new one, the Send button is STILL blue!

I've tried erase all content and settings as new and erase all content and settings with iCloud backup but NOTHING helps!

I just can't get make THEIR iPhones KNOW that i am NOT using iMessage ANYMORE!

Any help?????

icicle71

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
HUGE iMessage BUG: please help!

log in to appleid.apple.com, edit and delete secondary email address...worked for a lost iphone 4 and people trying to send to it.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
They could be sending messages to your Apple ID instead of your mobile number. iMessage is free and integrates within the SMS app. Why use a completely different app for messages when you can have it all under one app?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Bad idea, because then no one would ever use it.

If it was a separate app built into the OS, of course people would use it. If you think otherwise, then you can say the same thing about every other stock app.

Also, BBM is a separate app and it's successful.

I know a lot of people that would prefer it to be a separate app.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
If it was a separate app built into the OS, of course people would use it. If you think otherwise, then you can say the same thing about every other stock app.

Also, BBM is a separate app and it's successful.

I know a lot of people that would prefer it to be a separate app.
Objectively speaking, some of the best and brightest programmers in the world believed what you're saying to be a bad idea. Take that as you will.

Personally, I have had no problems with iMessage, and to have two separate apps for my friends who have iOS 5 and who have not would be an extremely useless waste of megabytes.

Further, for those who complain about, say, Newsstand not being removable, how do you think those who only have an iPod touch or iPad would feel? They would then not only have one, but two messaging apps that they can't remove. You have to look at all the angles, and clearly Apple made the right decision.

Using RIM as an example isn't too effective either, seeing as the platform is fledgling.

Nokaoi

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Objectively speaking, some of the best and brightest programmers in the world believed what you're saying to be a bad idea. Take that as you will.

Personally, I have had no problems with iMessage, and to have two separate apps for my friends who have iOS 5 and who have not would be an extremely useless waste of megabytes.

Further, for those who complain about, say, Newsstand not being removable, how do you think those who only have an iPod touch or iPad would feel? They would then not only have one, but two messaging apps that they can't remove. You have to look at all the angles, and clearly Apple made the right decision.

Using RIM as an example isn't too effective either, seeing as the platform is fledgling.

Probably the most well put together argument I've seen yet.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
The solution to the OP's problem is just to turn on iMessage again. So you can afford to pay for SMS, great. But now you're having this issue.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
The solution to the OP's problem is just to turn on iMessage again. So you can afford to pay for SMS, great. But now you're having this issue.
My solution is usually (for anything with an operating system) to wipe it clean and slap the OS back on.

This is why I could never be a Genius. :cool:

Jnewry

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
iPhone 4, 5.0.1.

Recently, i've turned off iMessage since i've started using Whatsapp extensively, plus my carrier plan has 3000sms'n'mms/month so no need for cheapo iMessage stuff...

So you're not using iMessage cause it's "cheap"? There's your problem... just turn it on and get the messages when ever and then use the whatsapp app for what ever else you need... there's a simple solution, you're just refusing to utilize it. :rolleyes: #firstworldpains lol

Antowns

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't understand why you care so much. iMessage is so integrated that you need not perform any extra steps to send messages. I'm fairly sure disabling iMessage just prevents you from dispatching them yourself.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

wait, are you serious right now? your entire argument just went into the hole cause you don't have logic.

there wouldn't be Messages for iPod touch/iPad, strictly iMessage.

also, it wouldn't take up anymore space to make it a separate app. :rolleyes:

fwiw, i don't have a problem with iMessage right now.. but there are definitely some things that need to be fixed. i know making a separate app isn't really a solution, therefore, we should have the ability to turn iMessage on/off for certain contacts.

i, myself, i have unlimited texts and i only use iMessage to communicate with people outside of Canada. that's all it's good for really (to me)

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
wait, are you serious right now? your entire argument just went into the hole cause you don't have logic.

there wouldn't be Messages for iPod touch/iPad, strictly iMessage.

also, it wouldn't take up anymore space to make it a separate app. :rolleyes:

fwiw, i don't have a problem with iMessage right now.. but there are definitely some things that need to be fixed. i know making a separate app isn't really a solution, therefore, we should have the ability to turn iMessage on/off for certain contacts.

i, myself, i have unlimited texts and i only use iMessage to communicate with people outside of Canada. that's all it's good for really (to me)
Telling me I don't posess logic would mean I wouldn't even have the mental capacity to use the iPad I'm currently typing on. The fallacy in your own logic, coupled with the fact that you can't even use proper structure and capitalization in your responses really gnaws away at your credibility. At the end of the day though, the whole thing is moot because you're just a dopey poster on an Internet forum, and I'm a moody poster on an Internet forum.

That being said, I apologize that in my world, making a simple mistake in an argument doesn't render every logical thought I've ever had nonexistent. Although you think you're high and mighty because you pointed out the admitted mistake in my post, it still doesn't erase the fact that many, but not all, iPhone users would be livid to have two separate apps like this. Example? Just read the reviews for the Facebook Messenger app by Facebook themselves. I think that about sums it up, multiplied a few times because the end user has no way of getting rid of it, just like Newsstand.

If you don't think it's a wise solution, why reply at all? I'll run circles around your words, trust me. Even the fact that you don't think two apps take up more space than one is absurd. Also, what the ****** does "fwiw" mean?

<3

Tenhauser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
My solution is usually (for anything with an operating system) to wipe it clean and slap the OS back on.

This is why I could never be a Genius. :cool:

This doesn't help at all - it seem to me that there is some problem with Apple servers not telling all other devices that my device is not using iMessage at all.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
This doesn't help at all - it seem to me that there is some problem with Apple servers not telling all other devices that my device is not using iMessage at all.
My apologies for digressing in your thread.

A similar problem has been happening to a coworker of mine with his 3GS. We're both techies to some degree, and we both came to the conclusion that the best troubleshooting method would indeed be a restore. So, while I was joking to the other poster, it was somewhat meaningful, even if you've already tried it.

The heart of the issue is the fact that all though you're using a third-party app, their Messages app is still recognizing the fact that you're using iOS 5. This is something that Apple will most likely have to address on their end, because the bug is obviously not allowing your phone to turn off iMessage at some level.

You can do one of two things to avoid the headaches. The first is to call Apple tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. The second, and most obvious solution, is to just use iMessage. It might be fun to use third party software, but if you want to communicate without trouble, it might just be best to succumb to the bug. Just my two cents.

Tenhauser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
My apologies for digressing in your thread.

A similar problem has been happening to a coworker of mine with his 3GS. We're both techies to some degree, and we both came to the conclusion that the best troubleshooting method would indeed be a restore. So, while I was joking to the other poster, it was somewhat meaningful, even if you've already tried it.

The heart of the issue is the fact that all though you're using a third-party app, their Messages app is still recognizing the fact that you're using iOS 5. This is something that Apple will most likely have to address on their end, because the bug is obviously not allowing your phone to turn off iMessage at some level.

You can do one of two things to avoid the headaches. The first is to call Apple tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. The second, and most obvious solution, is to just use iMessage. It might be fun to use third party software, but if you want to communicate without trouble, it might just be best to succumb to the bug. Just my two cents.

I would also like to do a restore, but then i will lose all my sms's. I can't stand that.

And, while "succumbing" to the bug might be a viable option in fact it isn't since iMessage doesn't work 100% as regular sms over cell.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
For future reference, 'fledgling' means the opposite of what you appear to think it does.
And many people still can't grasp the true usage of irony. Your point? Besides, by some stretch it could be used, given the fact that it seems RIM has regressed to a rookie status by their failure to innovate well. Language is ever changing, with dictionaries and other texts being reference points, not the rule of law.

I'm not going to make any note for "future reference" because some poster on the Internet told me to. I will continue to use the word in this way, because in this usage, I've never had anyone misunderstand it. At the end of the day, the main function of language is to communicate, and I can say that I do this effectively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.