Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a bluetooth GPS receiver, maybe something like the XGPS150. Anyway, if I purchase a navigation app like tomtom or garmin, will I still be able to use the product if I have no wifi? My understanding is that I would be able to use the app, minus the turn-by-turn directions. Is this correct?

Last edited:

gean

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
GPS and ipod touch

Hi Mrjosh, in answering you question they will work together. I have both the Ipod touch, and Ipad2 and use a Dual gps reciever and they work flawlessly.

I hope this answers your question.

gean :)

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I use the Navigon app on my ipod touch with my Dual XGPS150. Once you've downloaded the Navigon maps, you can use them offline. No need for data or wifi connection. Then your ipod touch works exactly like any other GPS device. Turn-by-turn directions and the whole bit.

I also installed a 30 pin connector cable to my car's stereo unit and power supply, so the voice directions from Navigon are announced over my car's stereo speakers and it also charges my ipod at the same time. I never have to worry about the ipod battery running out on a long trip and a single charge of the XGPS150 lasts over 6 hours. Its a great solution.

Last edited:

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Gean and ToothTooth - thanks so much for the responses. I appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.