Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
My G5 is having some strange problems burning Ritek G05 DVD-R media. Every 3 or 4 discs will not burn correctly. It will not give me an error at all, but will just freeze in the middle of the burn, and never finish. This happens in both Toast 6 and Disk Utility. The strange thing is that it does not cause either program to crash, it just hangs there until I decide to force quit it.

After I quit, the CD tray refuses to eject until I reboot my computer. I recently re-formatted my main hard drive and did a fresh Tiger install, and that did not help the issue.

This just started happening when I switched to Ritek media from ProDiscs (which worked perfectly) but it still could be a problem with the disc drive. I'm not sure... but from my understanding Ritek G05's were the highest-rated bulk media you can get, second only to Taiyo-Yuden? :confused:

Has anyone else had this problem?
BTW, it was originally a Pioneer 117D drive, but since I upgraded to Tiger a couple weeks ago, it is now recognised correctly as a Pioneer 108

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
cwright said:
My G5 is having some strange problems burning Ritek G05 DVD-R media. Every 3 or 4 discs will not burn correctly. It will not give me an error at all, but will just freeze in the middle of the burn, and never finish. This happens in both Toast 6 and Disk Utility. The strange thing is that it does not cause either program to crash, it just hangs there until I decide to force quit it.

After I quit, the CD tray refuses to eject until I reboot my computer. I recently re-formatted my main hard drive and did a fresh Tiger install, and that did not help the issue.

This just started happening when I switched to Ritek media from ProDiscs (which worked perfectly) but it still could be a problem with the disc drive. I'm not sure... but from my understanding Ritek G05's were the highest-rated bulk media you can get, second only to Taiyo-Yuden? :confused:

Has anyone else had this problem?
BTW, it was originally a Pioneer 117D drive, but since I upgraded to Tiger a couple weeks ago, it is now recognised correctly as a Pioneer 108

Did it do this before Tiger with just that brand of DVD media, or was it with any brand of Media you attempted to use?

Ratings or not, some drives will not like a brands disk, and for no reason at all. I ran a lab with identical Dell dimension (yetch) computers with the exact same hardware. Some systems loved samsung disks and burned them without problems, others would always create errors and eject them.

I know this dosent' help your current situation, but I would try 2 or 3 other brand disks, and do some test burns. If you find one that works better, sell the remainder of the disks you currently have on here, Ebay, or somewere else.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I ordered the discs from supermediastore.com, do you think there's any chance that they will exchange them for the ProDisc media I've used before?

Anyway, right now the only DVD-R media I have is these Riteks, but I do have about 25 Memorex DVD+RWs, so I'll burn a bunch of those and see if I run into the same problems.

And to answer your first question, this is the first time I've tried Ritek media, and I never used it before upgrading to Tiger. However, I did notice that Tiger made my ProDisc media a bit less reliable when burning at 16x. After I upgraded I got more frequent burn errors unless I dropped down to 12x :(

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
The most annoying part is that everytime a burn fails, the disc refuses to eject until I reboot. Is there any way to fix this? I looked in the Activity Monitor to see if the disc was still being used somewhere but couldn't find anything.

I've tried using the eject button on the keyboard, and the eject buttons from within Toast and iTunes... none of it works! :mad:

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
cwright I ordered the discs from supermediastore.com, do you think there's any chance that they will exchange them for the ProDisc media I've used before?

Yes they have been known for good cust. service, try Verbatium or TY dvds.
Did you do an upgrade or a custom install with Tiger? Also if you go to http://www.videohelp.com and go under the Mac Video Forum they have a list of dvds and how they rate (warning it's a long list but could save you money and time in the end).
My new burner (see sig.) doesn't like Memorex dvds so I use Verbatium and TDK, haven't had a bad burn yet since the switch but I'm also still using Panther and not Tiger :rolleyes: One last thing you did update Toast since using Tiger? You will have to or problems will happen ;)

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I called supermediastore, and they're going to give me a refund on the discs. I think for now i'll just go back to the ProDiscs that I had good luck with before

Someday I may try Taiyo-Yuden discs, but I don't think they make hub printable disks yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.