PDA

View Full Version : I want to play "Star Wars: The Old Republic" on my Mac?

RedHotChiliDog
Dec 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
I got my Macbook pro last spring (13 inch 2.3) and I love it! Problem at the time is I didn't think I would be gaming on my laptop till I found out The Old Republic is PC only. What can I do to run it on my mac without totally ****ing up my mac's speed or performance? I've heard of bootcamp and other parrallels but don't know much about any and if its possible to put the OS on an external harddrive so my mac isn't affected I'll gladly do that. I'm not much of a computer guy by any means as I'm sure you can tell :D . So please explain to me my options/the best option.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
Can this help clarify some unknown?
http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR_Image_Hotlinks/MR_screenshots/MR_screenshots_2011_11/2011_11_02_pB1_MR_advSearch_small.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR_Image_Hotlinks/MR_screenshots/MR_screenshots_2011_11/2011_11_02_pB2_MR_advSearch.png)

Nightarchaon
Dec 2, 2011, 01:35 AM
I'm on the beta , on a 2011 iMac and a mid 2008 MBP , I can say, if you want performance, install windows 7 64bit, under bootcamp, on at least a 150GB partition on your main drive, it's the only way to play and get the best performance out of the system, sure you could go the parallels route, I tried it and it does work, but you'll take a performance hit.

Shivetya
Dec 2, 2011, 04:49 AM
I have played it both through Bootcamp and with Parallels. Parallels with SWTOR suffers the same problem it suffers in other game, namely screwing mouse behavior. As in click a mouse button and sometimes the screen twirls. Otherwise its 'playable' but I figure it this way, since you need windows for Parallels to work just bootcamp

doh123
Dec 2, 2011, 07:23 AM
With your specs... go with bootcamp.

Parallels actually runs this game fantastic for being in a virtual machine, and is the way I play, but my specs are MUCH higher than yours, so I don't notice much of a slow down like you would.

To the Parallels mouse comment, the mouse can work fine. Run Parallels in fullscreen, and turn off SmartMouse in Parallels options and the mouse works perfectly in the game.

Shivetya
Dec 2, 2011, 07:54 AM

Parallels actually runs this game fantastic for being in a virtual machine, and is the way I play, but my specs are MUCH higher than yours, so I don't notice much of a slow down like you would.

To the Parallels mouse comment, the mouse can work fine. Run Parallels in fullscreen, and turn off SmartMouse in Parallels options and the mouse works perfectly in the game.

Thank you doh123, I will try disabling smart mouse.

Huntn
Dec 2, 2011, 02:43 PM
I got my Macbook pro last spring (13 inch 2.3) and I love it! Problem at the time is I didn't think I would be gaming on my laptop till I found out The Old Republic is PC only. What can I do to run it on my mac without totally ****ing up my mac's speed or performance? I've heard of bootcamp and other parrallels but don't know much about any and if its possible to put the OS on an external harddrive so my mac isn't affected I'll gladly do that. I'm not much of a computer guy by any means as I'm sure you can tell :D . So please explain to me my options/the best option.

Bootcamp creates a separate hard drive partition for Windows. As a rule, what happens in Windows, stays in Windows. I know of no threat to your MacOS and it's ability to function. This includes getting a Windows Virus on your Windows partition. If you are only playing SWTOR in Windows, not emailing, and not surfing all over, the threat even in Windows is slight.

KevinRightWing
Dec 2, 2011, 08:44 PM
How well will the game game rub on a 17in 2011 MacBook pro?

doh123
Dec 2, 2011, 09:02 PM
How well will the game game rub on a 17in 2011 MacBook pro?

Amazingly fast...

the game is very low end for graphics and is supposed to look cartoony. You do not need a powerhouse to run the game. I have a early 2011 17" MBP and used it during beta and it runs fantastic even in Parallels.

Siggen
Dec 3, 2011, 03:01 AM
@doh123

Are you gonna work on a wine port of the game?
Maby not before its out of beta?
My macbook pro is old and I dont think it would run swtor in parallels well :)
Thanks anyway, I really love your software :3

Of course as of now I'm playing in bootcamp which is tottaly satisfactory but a bit cumbersome.

doh123
Dec 3, 2011, 06:19 AM
@doh123

Are you gonna work on a wine port of the game?
Maby not before its out of beta?
My macbook pro is old and I dont think it would run swtor in parallels well :)
Thanks anyway, I really love your software :3

Of course as of now I'm playing in bootcamp which is tottaly satisfactory but a bit cumbersome.

I am... yes. I did during beta and had a mostly working Wineskin port already done, but they kept changing things and breaking things... and currently they made some changes that has totally broken usage with Wine for everyone... so I stopped even looking at trying until the game is out with more stable code. Its too hard chasing a quickly changing/moving target.

Huntn
Dec 3, 2011, 09:12 AM
I am... yes. I did during beta and had a mostly working Wineskin port already done, but they kept changing things and breaking things... and currently they made some changes that has totally broken usage with Wine for everyone... so I stopped even looking at trying until the game is out with more stable code. Its too hard chasing a quickly changing/moving target.

If you play this game under a wineskin port, how reliant are you on the port's author for when updates to the game are released? Once the game is running by means of wineskin will it handle all updates on it's own or will it require continuous wineskin patches?

doh123
Dec 3, 2011, 09:31 AM
If you play this game under a wineskin port, how reliant are you on the port's author for when updates to the game are released? Once the game is running by means of wineskin will it handle all updates on it's own or will it require continuous wineskin patches?

only requires updates to the actual wrapper if some update the game maker puts out breaks it... most game patches do not cause any issues like that. It uses the normal game's log in and patching... I've played and made an unofficial Mac version of STO since it came out... their patches have only caused issues twice, and they were pretty easy to fix.

Huntn
Dec 3, 2011, 10:03 AM
only requires updates to the actual wrapper if some update the game maker puts out breaks it... most game patches do not cause any issues like that. It uses the normal game's log in and patching... I've played and made an unofficial Mac version of STO since it came out... their patches have only caused issues twice, and they were pretty easy to fix.

How would you compare performance between wineskin and native Windows?
Thanks for the info! :)

doh123
Dec 3, 2011, 05:26 PM
How would you compare performance between wineskin and native Windows?
Thanks for the info! :)

running something natively in Windows (directly installed, not a VM) will usually always a lot better. Its about being able to run it in OSX without needing Windows, which is much preferable. Its a game by game basis though, some run very well, and some will run horrible... Its usually always much better in performance than Windows in a virtual machine though.

RedHotChiliDog
Dec 3, 2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the responses! Bootcamp looks like the way to go. And just to be sure, this game will play okay on my specs right? (I figure if not you guys would've said something by now)

doh123
Dec 3, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the responses! Bootcamp looks like the way to go. And just to be sure, this game will play okay on my specs right? (I figure if not you guys would've said something by now)

if you don't mind using a PC instead of a Mac (virtually what you are doing when using Bootcamp to dual boot), then Bootcamp is the way to go...

It should run ok on your machine at lower settings, but it depends on your exact specs which you didn't provide.

RedHotChiliDog
Dec 3, 2011, 09:36 PM
My MacBook pro has: 2.3ghz dual core intel core i5 processor 3 mb shared level 3 cache, 4gb of 1333mhg ddr3 sdram, a intel hd graphics 3000 processor, and a 320 gb 5400 rpm harddrive

DoghouseMike
Dec 4, 2011, 09:02 AM
It'll be fine in bootcamp (I ran the beta on my core 2 duo/320m MBP).
Previous (limited) experience makes me think it'll be playable through wineskin, but it might be pushing a bit.
I kinda like the distinction of having to boot into windows, for what that's worth. It's a bit more like "ok, I've stopped being productive, let's reboot and geek out a bit." Clean lines

datamonger128
Dec 4, 2011, 09:25 AM
I ran The Old Republic on my old Toshiba Satellite L745-S4210 with a Core i3-2310M, 4GB DDR3, Intel HD 3000, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64. It ran, but not as well as one would like. Keep in mind that the 13" MacBook Pro comes with a Core i5, so it may run better, but it is doubtful. If you do decide to run it on that, you'll need to do so with all settings set to low.

Craig1071
Dec 4, 2011, 09:47 AM
My parents are giving me their iMac from 2010....will the game run on that? I believe the specs will be one of these two:

Low-End 21.5 Inch Model - MC508LL/A
1) Processor changes from Intel Core 2 Duo to an Intel Core i3 and supports Hyper-Threading
2) L2 Cache changes to L3 and increases 1MB to 4MBs
3) Graphics Card goes from NVIDIA GeForce 9400M to ATI Radeon HD 4670

High-End 21.5 Inch Model - MC509LL/A
1) Processor changes from Intel Core 2 Duo to an Intel Core i3 and supports Hyper-Threading
2) Processor speed increases from 3.06GHz to 3.2GHz (Optional 3.60GHz Intel Core i5)
3) L2 Cache changes to L3 and increases 1MB to 4MBs
4) Graphics Card goes from ATI Radeon HD 4670 to ATI Radeon HD 5670
5) Graphics memory increases from 256MB to 512MB

RedHotChiliDog
Dec 4, 2011, 11:21 AM
I ran The Old Republic on my old Toshiba Satellite L745-S4210 with a Core i3-2310M, 4GB DDR3, Intel HD 3000, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64. It ran, but not as well as one would like. Keep in mind that the 13" MacBook Pro comes with a Core i5, so it may run better, but it is doubtful. If you do decide to run it on that, you'll need to do so with all settings set to low.

If I were to keep things on normal or high it wouldn't work well then? It looks like the only problem I really have is my video card is it possible to get a better video card put in so I can leave the settings on high?

DoghouseMike
Dec 4, 2011, 12:36 PM
Probably depends a little on the resolution, I was running the beta at 720 with a pretty solid 20-40 fps on medium, with bloom on, messed with a few sliders. Your CPU beats mine by a decent amount, but the GPU's are about equal I think. I'd imagine the actual shipping client will run a little faster.

Mr.C
Dec 5, 2011, 07:05 AM
If I were to keep things on normal or high it wouldn't work well then? It looks like the only problem I really have is my video card is it possible to get a better video card put in so I can leave the settings on high?

Unfortunatey it's not possible to upgrade the GPU in the MacBook Pros and only the 15" and 17" models come with dedicated GPU's. The 13" models are not really designed for heavy gaming especially AAA games.

Plutonius
Dec 5, 2011, 11:12 AM
It will not run natively under OS X so no sale.

Dekard
Dec 6, 2011, 10:11 AM
I was playing the beta up until this weekend on my MBpro 15 inch, and it has a 6750m Ati card, I was no longer able to see enemy target models. :( up until this past weekend it's been a blast playing the beta.

Not sure if I'll purchase now that I don't know if I'll be able to see enemy targets.

mgipe
Dec 6, 2011, 11:16 AM
I was playing the beta up until this weekend on my MBpro 15 inch, and it has a 6750m Ati card, I was no longer able to see enemy target models. :( up until this past weekend it's been a blast playing the beta.

Not sure if I'll purchase now that I don't know if I'll be able to see enemy targets.

Consider it the next level of difficulty. ;)

Nightarchaon
Dec 6, 2011, 11:55 AM

Uninstall the ati drivers , re-install the stock bootcamp drivers , this has been covered in the beta forums ad-nausium for iMacs and MacBooks

Dekard
Dec 6, 2011, 12:29 PM
Original bootcamp drivers cannot run Bf3, so I'll stick with the latest drivers.

Huntn
Dec 6, 2011, 03:27 PM
Original bootcamp drivers cannot run Bf3, so I'll stick with the latest drivers.

...and not play SWTOR?

For my knowledge, could you clarify your symptoms? You can see everything in the game except enemy targets as in hostile targets before they are designated, after they are designated, or are invisible all of the time?

Dekard
Dec 6, 2011, 06:17 PM
invisible all the time, I can attack them and I can see their names above the models, just can't see the models. Game worked awesome up until the latest update from Friday's beta..

heyloo
Dec 7, 2011, 11:44 PM
If only Bootcamp was able to be installed on an external HDD... 256GB SSD really doesn't give me much option in the Bootcamp department heh. Guess I'm stuck with Parallels or Wine :eek:

SlickShoes
Dec 8, 2011, 04:39 AM
invisible all the time, I can attack them and I can see their names above the models, just can't see the models. Game worked awesome up until the latest update from Friday's beta..

What drivers are you using? I have the 11.11 drivers and did not have this issue with the game at all or at any point in beta in the last month.

Dekard
Dec 8, 2011, 04:07 PM
11.11c

zen
Dec 14, 2011, 07:38 AM
Just to add my obgliatory question to this thread - I have two Macs:

iMac (20", mid-2007)
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Macbook Air (11", mid-2011)
- 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
- 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Which of these two (if either) can play SWTOR the best? I've played WoW on the iMac with mid-graphics settings without much trouble (gets about 60 fps). I'm tempted to get rid of the iMac and use the MBA with a Thunderbolt Display at some point.

Also, I've never installed Windows under Bootcamp before - I believe Window 7 64 bit will give the best performance, rather than the 32 bit version?

SlickShoes
Dec 14, 2011, 08:00 AM
Just to add my obgliatory question to this thread - I have two Macs:

iMac (20", mid-2007)
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Macbook Air (11", mid-2011)
- 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
- 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Which of these two (if either) can play SWTOR the best? I've played WoW on the iMac with mid-graphics settings without much trouble (gets about 60 fps). I'm tempted to get rid of the iMac and use the MBA with a Thunderbolt Display at some point.

Also, I've never installed Windows under Bootcamp before - I believe Window 7 64 bit will give the best performance, rather than the 32 bit version?

Yes to 64bit windows it will see and use all 4GB of your ram.

The air will get better performance, I assume the air will also be playing it at a lower res than the iMac due to the smaller screen size which will help make it look better than it would trying to display at 1920x1080 or similar high res.

EDIT: You will be playing on low settings though, although the game does not look bad on low at all.

zen
Dec 14, 2011, 08:03 AM
Yes to 64bit windows it will see and use all 4GB of your ram.

The air will get better performance, I assume the air will also be playing it at a lower res than the iMac due to the smaller screen size which will help make it look better than it would trying to display at 1920x1080 or similar high res.

Thanks for the advice. Also, I did a quick Google and it seems my iMac can't run the 64-bit version of Windows 7 anyway.

I have played WoW on the air, and the screen is a little small to see details. I guess once I get a Thunderbolt Display it'll be okay, without a performance hit (I hope).

SlickShoes
Dec 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. Also, I did a quick Google and it seems my iMac can't run the 64-bit version of Windows 7 anyway.

I have played WoW on the air, and the screen is a little small to see details. I guess once I get a Thunderbolt Display it'll be okay, without a performance hit (I hope).

I didnt take into consideration you playing on external display! However it should still play the game on low settings with the intel 3000.

Here is a guy that played the beta using the intel 3000, he had poor performance on high settings but perfectly playable on low.

zen
Dec 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
I didnt take into consideration you playing on external display! However it should still play the game on low settings with the intel 3000.

Here is a guy that played the beta using the intel 3000, he had poor performance on high settings but perfectly playable on low.

Well, I'll be getting a Thunderbolt Display eventually. I don't have one yet! But I did buy this MBA with the intention of getting rid of the old iMac.

SWTOR seems worth a try anyway.

SlickShoes
Dec 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
Well, I'll be getting a Thunderbolt Display eventually. I don't have one yet! But I did buy this MBA with the intention of getting rid of the old iMac.

SWTOR seems worth a try anyway.

Oh man I meant to send you a link to someone playing the game on 3000 HD on high settings and I didnt paste it in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkySe_T5u90

cluthz
Dec 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
Oh man I meant to send you a link to someone playing the game on 3000 HD on high settings and I didnt paste it in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkySe_T5u90

It seems when he move the camera the FPS is like 5.
The beta had some slowdowns on my GTX285 (not lag, but FPS dips to like 25) at high settings. Mostly keeping the fps at 60, but intel HD should definitely keep to low settings, unless 15 fps is ok for you.

I'm pretty sure it will be playable tho.

SlickShoes
Dec 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
It seems when he move the camera the FPS is like 5.
The beta had some slowdowns on my GTX285 (not lag, but FPS dips to like 25) at high settings. Mostly keeping the fps at 60, but intel HD should definitely keep to low settings, unless 15 fps is ok for you.

I'm pretty sure it will be playable tho.

Yeah he was playing on high settings which is why all the slowdown, once you turn bloom and shadows off it helps massively with FPS as does Vsync, the game still looks decent on LOW and should be perfectly playable on a 3000HD. Not going to be pushing 60fps or anything but for the average joe it will be perfectly playable.

Kremin
Dec 14, 2011, 01:35 PM
Another for the Will It Run? file -

I have a 2010, 17" MBP, 2.53 GHz i5, 8 gigs of RAM, with the Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. I'd like to use Parallels if I can, but would my specs be sufficient? I don't need to max it out but it would be nice to play with the sliders up to medium...

Aristor
Dec 14, 2011, 06:22 PM
In order to not start another thread for 1 question:

How will SW:TOR run on a 27" 3.1ghz i5-2400, Radeon HD 6790M 1gb vram, 12 gb ram, running windows 7 in bootcamp? Also, how is the sound on the built in imac speakers? (I bought an imac and it is shipping now.)

David085
Dec 14, 2011, 06:43 PM
And I want a newer Star Wars Games with a good graphics engine and it better be good too

Aundril07
Dec 14, 2011, 11:07 PM
Will I be able to run SWTOR on my 2010 13'' Macbook pro? It was the barebones macbook pro at the time

If so will it be smooth on mediumish settings?

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo procesor

4 GB 1076 MHz DDR3 of memory

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256mb of virtual ram

and my resolution is 1280 x 800

Thanks!!!

DoghouseMike
Dec 15, 2011, 04:03 AM
Will I be able to run SWTOR on my 2010 13'' Macbook pro? It was the barebones macbook pro at the time

If so will it be smooth on mediumish settings?

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo procesor

4 GB 1076 MHz DDR3 of memory

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256mb of virtual ram

and my resolution is 1280 x 800

Thanks!!!

It'll run fine dude, I was running the beta on the exact same model, and it was grand. I can't remember the settings I used, it was either "low" with a few things bumped up, or "medium" with a few things turned down. I'm lazy, but if you can be arsed to check my previous posts, there's probably more info in there. Also, the game is awesome, get it!

Jezak
Dec 15, 2011, 07:46 AM
Edit - Nevermind!

LagFighter
Dec 16, 2011, 03:11 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble running this on my mid-2010 15-inch MacBook Pro. I've got the Nvidia 330M GT w/ 512MB dedicated memory, i7 @ 2.66 GHz (although I believe it's dual core), and 8 GB of RAM that I installed myself. I'm running on Boot Camp with Windows 7 64-bit, and I've updated my drivers.

Yet, despite all of this, I'm still only getting about 10 frames per second at best, and that's with all settings on low. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Notably, I do have the higher-resolution screen, running at 1680 x 1050.

----------

Here are my specs if that helps:

http://i.imgur.com/mCUVY.png

Shivetya
Dec 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
Certain areas of the game, namely the jedi temple at start and its sith equivalent punish my fps... out in open I get into the 20s on my i5/4850 ..

there were reports that ATI cards had some issues, didn't hear any with Nvidia

goMac
Dec 16, 2011, 03:33 PM
Don't know if this has been noted, but the engine Old Republic uses is getting a Mac native version first quarter next year. Chances are very good for a Mac version around that time, as The Old Republic is only one of two games right now using that engine.

crmfghtr
Dec 17, 2011, 07:00 PM
I bought the game got the discs yesterday. Loaded in all the discs, when it gone done it said Installation Failed. I was running bootcamp Windows XP on a 2008 Macbook Pro
MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Guessing I wouldn't meet specs anyway.

Marctraider
Dec 18, 2011, 06:16 PM
Running SWTOR on my 2010 Macbook Pro 15 inch with Nvidia 330M GT (256MB Vidmem) overclocked to

625/1000/1375, can get it to 650/1000/1475 even but for some strange reason Powermizer kicks in and puts it back to 450 core clock and its stuck until I reset the whole Video driver.

FPS is reasonable and playable even with Anti Aliasing on 2x or 4x. (Have to force this in the SWTOR client_settings.ini.

I would say 25-60fps depending on the environment, everything high except for Bloom and Shadows. (Texture resolution on Low since I only have 256M dedicated vidmem)

Cheers :)

(Btw, I do think that SWTOR needs a bit of tweaking because even people with very fast PC's have problems with FPS)

LagFighter
Dec 18, 2011, 07:38 PM
Running SWTOR on my 2010 Macbook Pro 15 inch with Nvidia 330M GT (256MB Vidmem) overclocked to

625/1000/1375, can get it to 650/1000/1475 even but for some strange reason Powermizer kicks in and puts it back to 450 core clock and its stuck until I reset the whole Video driver.

FPS is reasonable and playable even with Anti Aliasing on 2x or 4x. (Have to force this in the SWTOR client_settings.ini.

I would say 25-60fps depending on the environment, everything high except for Bloom and Shadows. (Texture resolution on Low since I only have 256M dedicated vidmem)

Cheers :)

(Btw, I do think that SWTOR needs a bit of tweaking because even people with very fast PC's have problems with FPS)

How did you overclock it? I have the same model as you do.

Gooter
Dec 19, 2011, 10:50 AM
Runs great on my iMac 8,1. I am running at my native res with everything on high except for two settings (shadows = low, and whatever is to the left of shadows = medium). Also, bloom is turned off.

I have 4 gigs of ram and the latest Nvidia drivers running on Win7 x32.

zen
Dec 19, 2011, 11:50 AM
I have 4 gigs of ram and the latest Nvidia drivers running on Win7 x32.
In which case Windows is only seeing 3GB of that RAM.

Dekard
Dec 19, 2011, 06:07 PM
Microsoft doesn't even support Windows XP anymore..

I bought the game got the discs yesterday. Loaded in all the discs, when it gone done it said Installation Failed. I was running bootcamp Windows XP on a 2008 Macbook Pro
MacBookPro3,1
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Guessing I wouldn't meet specs anyway.

lewys
Dec 19, 2011, 06:11 PM
I have two questions about this.

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit but it isn't genuine. Will i need a genuine copy of windows to play it? I read somewhere that i may need to. If i get the game i will be buying from a store so it will be a genuine copy.

Also i only have 20 gig partitioned for windows with bootcamp. Can i partition windows to have more space or would i have to delete everything? I dont mind deleting all the windows stuff but would like to keep my mac stuff.

Thanks

LaDirection
Dec 19, 2011, 06:26 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-knights-old-republic/id416608891?mt=12

Blue Sun
Dec 19, 2011, 07:35 PM
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-wars-knights-old-republic/id416608891?mt=12

That is "Knights of the Old Republic", released years ago on the original Xbox and PC. This thread is about "The Old Republic", a new MMO.

Mr.C
Dec 20, 2011, 04:50 AM
I have two questions about this.

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit but it isn't genuine. Will i need a genuine copy of windows to play it? I read somewhere that i may need to. If i get the game i will be buying from a store so it will be a genuine copy.

Also i only have 20 gig partitioned for windows with bootcamp. Can i partition windows to have more space or would i have to delete everything? I dont mind deleting all the windows stuff but would like to keep my mac stuff.

Thanks

I will give you the same answer I gave you in the same post you made in the other thread. Why would you even bring up the discussion of bootleg software on these forums. not to mention there is no need to post the same thing in more then one thread.

applesith
Dec 20, 2011, 11:07 AM
Can anyone tell me how much space this will take on my hard drive? I looked on the official site and amazon and there is no mention of the storage specifications.

My bootcamp partition is only ~30GB and i didn't realize 7x64 takes so much space!! I only have ~10GB free.

Anyone advice if this will work? Thanks!

astupiddream
Dec 20, 2011, 11:27 AM
Can anyone tell me how much space this will take on my hard drive? I looked on the official site and amazon and there is no mention of the storage specifications.

My bootcamp partition is only ~30GB and i didn't realize 7x64 takes so much space!! I only have ~10GB free.

Anyone advice if this will work? Thanks!

The Install takes up 18-27GB depending on languages installed.

applesith
Dec 20, 2011, 11:42 AM
The Install takes up 18-27GB depending on languages installed.

:eek: WOW

You'd think that would be specified somewhere on the website under system requirements. I guess I have to redo my bootcamp or just return the game. Probably just going to return and then buy down the road when I would be re-partitioning for something else. I was looking forward to the game, but not worth the trouble.

Blooo
Dec 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
hey guys i have a mid 2011 iMac

2.5ghz intel core i5
4gb 1333 mhz ddr3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

i am using windows 7 through bootcamp.

would this be good enough to run the game?

i hope so

astupiddream
Dec 20, 2011, 01:37 PM

2.5ghz intel core i5
4gb 1333 mhz ddr3

i hope so

My 2011 Mac mini (with the dual core 2.5 i5, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 6330M 256MB) can run the game at 1080p with all the settings on low in a very playable frame rate. You're iMac is better specced than the mini so I'm thinking you'll be fine even at medium settings.

Blooo
Dec 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
My 2011 Mac mini (with the dual core 2.5 i5, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 6330M 256MB) can run the game at 1080p with all the settings on low in a very playable frame rate. You're iMac is better specced than the mini so I'm thinking you'll be fine even at medium settings.

does it look any good on the low settings? also what is the texture pop in like?

BowTheMan89
Dec 20, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble running this on my mid-2010 15-inch MacBook Pro. I've got the Nvidia 330M GT w/ 512MB dedicated memory, i7 @ 2.66 GHz (although I believe it's dual core), and 8 GB of RAM that I installed myself. I'm running on Boot Camp with Windows 7 64-bit, and I've updated my drivers.

Yet, despite all of this, I'm still only getting about 10 frames per second at best, and that's with all settings on low. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Notably, I do have the higher-resolution screen, running at 1680 x 1050.

----------

Here are my specs if that helps:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/mCUVY.png)

I have the same model, its running very poorly on my comp. all settings turned to low, and still getting very low fps. Anyone have any ideas? based on the system requirements, my comp should be fine.

Marctraider
Dec 20, 2011, 06:32 PM
How did you overclock it? I have the same model as you do.

First you want to disable Powermizer;
Download NVPMManager and disable that.

Next I used Nvidia Inspector to gently overclock it.
(Note that if you go too high, somehow the clocks revert to fixed performance mode and U cannot change it until you use NVPMManager again and use 'Instant Apply' button :)

Gooter
Dec 21, 2011, 08:05 AM
In which case Windows is only seeing 3GB of that RAM.

Very true but still runs it well!

Huntn
Dec 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
Don't know if this has been noted, but the engine Old Republic uses is getting a Mac native version first quarter next year. Chances are very good for a Mac version around that time, as The Old Republic is only one of two games right now using that engine.

Whose engine is it? If I knew, I've forgotten. I would welcome the chance to play a game like this native Mac.

Yaboze
Dec 21, 2011, 08:51 AM
Whose engine is it? If I knew, I've forgotten. I would welcome the chance to play a game like this native Mac.

It's called the Hero Engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_Engine

sotsuki21
Dec 21, 2011, 12:42 PM
I have a mid 2009 MBP

2.53ghz intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
NVidia 9400M w/ 256MB VRAM

i am planning on using windows 7 through bootcamp.

would this be good enough to run the game? do I have any other options? suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Blooo
Dec 21, 2011, 01:54 PM

2.5ghz intel core i5
4gb 1333 mhz ddr3

i hope so

anyone have any other input on my setup?
anyone using what I'm using.
what would the frame rate be like?

just like some more input before i go out and get it.

doh123
Dec 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have a mid 2009 MBP

2.53ghz intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
NVidia 9400M w/ 256MB VRAM

i am planning on using windows 7 through bootcamp.

would this be good enough to run the game? do I have any other options? suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Geforce 9400m is going to be the biggest problem. If you run a really low res with all the graphics options way down, it will probably be playable... even if it looks bad. I have heard other people (on swtor forums) saying they were using 9400s and it was terrible though...

anyone have any other input on my setup?
anyone using what I'm using.
what would the frame rate be like?

just like some more input before i go out and get it.
with Bootcamp that should run good... you'll probably be able to max it (with shadows disabled) and play fine with 40 or 50 fps at least...

I run through parallels (so a huge slow down there) on a i7 2.2, 8gb ram, 6750 1gb (2 CPUs to the VM, 4gb of ram, and 512mb vram) with Windows 7... 1280x800, all graphics options maxed except bloom and shadows off, and get like 30 to 50 depending where I am. Since running Windows natively instead of parallels will boost you like 5 to 10 times better performance... I'd say your machine should run it great.

Huntn
Dec 21, 2011, 03:04 PM
It's called the Hero Engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_Engine

Oh My God...Heroes Journey the most famous bit of MMO vaporware I've ever heard of. I knew they were involved in creating an engine for sale to other MMO developers. I guess it paid off for them?

I realize that these are two different gaming environments, but graphically, Skyrim puts SWTOR to shame...imo. :)

Blooo
Dec 21, 2011, 03:39 PM
with Bootcamp that should run good... you'll probably be able to max it (with shadows disabled) and play fine with 40 or 50 fps at least...

I run through parallels (so a huge slow down there) on a i7 2.2, 8gb ram, 6750 1gb (2 CPUs to the VM, 4gb of ram, and 512mb vram) with Windows 7... 1280x800, all graphics options maxed except bloom and shadows off, and get like 30 to 50 depending where I am. Since running Windows natively instead of parallels will boost you like 5 to 10 times better performance... I'd say your machine should run it great.

Really that is great. i have been reading that it will only run on low with my computer but i cant really find a straight answer.

i really hope this does work.

burak434
Dec 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
Slightly off topic but where did you all get your game from?

Huntn
Dec 21, 2011, 04:36 PM

Blockbuster in the U.S. However a lot of people ordered a digital download online at http://buy.swtor.com/us/.

doh123
Dec 21, 2011, 09:31 PM

I preordered it in July from Amazon... Collectors Edition... :-)

burak434
Dec 22, 2011, 02:49 AM
Blockbuster in the U.S. However a lot of people ordered a digital download online at http://buy.swtor.com/us/.

Yeah I also tried that but It says temporarily sold out?How can a digital download be sold out?

SlickShoes
Dec 22, 2011, 03:26 AM
Oh My God...Heroes Journey the most famous bit of MMO vaporware I've ever heard of. I knew they were involved in creating an engine for sale to other MMO developers. I guess it paid off for them?

I realize that these are two different gaming environments, but graphically, Skyrim puts SWTOR to shame...imo. :)

I would imagine Skyrim would take a massive performance hit if you put 500 player characters all wearing different items in the game world for the engine to render.

Skyrim looks nice, but it is still as buggy as every other bethesda game, If star wars had released with NPCs that fly into the sky when you touch them people would be outraged but its bethesda and its a single player game so its OK.

Vivid.Inferno
Dec 22, 2011, 03:42 AM
I'm running a Late 2008 MBP:
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

If I were to install XP under bootcamp with a ~80GB partition how well would the game run? I'm not to worried about it being pretty, I currently play WoW on low settings. As long as the game runs smoothly I'm not worried about it looking fantastic.

BornAgainMac
Dec 22, 2011, 05:50 AM
I have played it both through Bootcamp and with Parallels. Parallels with SWTOR suffers the same problem it suffers in other game, namely screwing mouse behavior. As in click a mouse button and sometimes the screen twirls. Otherwise its 'playable' but I figure it this way, since you need windows for Parallels to work just bootcamp

I fixed that problem with the mouse by connecting a wired USB mouse and letting it have direct control over it as a USB device. Then I max the screen (optional) and turn off my Magic mouse. Problem solved.

doh123
Dec 22, 2011, 07:17 AM
I fixed that problem with the mouse by connecting a wired USB mouse and letting it have direct control over it as a USB device. Then I max the screen (optional) and turn off my Magic mouse. Problem solved.

I tried that with a few mouseseseses and it didn't work.

I had to turn SmartMouse off in Parallels, which then gives you an invisible cursor, but the game works... so then i had to change SWTOR to run in the Fullscreen (Windowed) mode, then the mouse appeared and works great. Its SmartMouse that screws up gaming in Parallels, and isn't really that useful unless your running in coherence mode. In Lion i love running in fullscreen mode since it just adds it like another desktop you can easily switch between with 4 finger swipe, or Mission Control.

Huntn
Dec 22, 2011, 08:29 AM
I would imagine Skyrim would take a massive performance hit if you put 500 player characters all wearing different items in the game world for the engine to render.

Skyrim looks nice, but it is still as buggy as every other bethesda game, If star wars had released with NPCs that fly into the sky when you touch them people would be outraged but its bethesda and its a single player game so its OK.

I'll clarify a little. I got signed into "retail" SWTOR (for the first time last night) and was surprised how much better the game looks than it did in beta. Someone told me that the graphics were kept muted in beta (unverified). However, Skyrim still has much better enviromental effects, but I acknowledged in my earlier post that the two games were running in different environments. Yes, Skyrim can afford the extra frills. No, I don't imagine as is, it could handle 500 players running around the landscape. :)

In SWTOR, I'm running with a Sith Inquisitor, because in beta I was not impressed with the Jedi starter zone, nor the first two Jedi story-line planets, Corescant and Taris. The Sith story starts you on Korriban, then moves to the jungle world of Dromund Kaas. I don't know but am hoping that Sith can quest on Alderaan.

Usually I play "good" characters, but this is a nice change of pace as the Jedi seem a little too namby-pamby. In the guise of a "dark" character, inflicting pain can be fun. ;)

This is the strange part. As representative of Empire, you are given light and dark choices. Without doing any research, I do know there is gear that requires "light" or "dark" alignment to wear. I've wondered out loud in my guild chat if there is any advantage what so ever to being a "light" Sith? No one knows. Ok, so you might be able to snag some particular light gear, but there are equivalent "dark" pieces of gear available. Anyone know of any advantage to being a "light" Sith or a "dark" Jedi?

Karenl39
Dec 22, 2011, 08:43 AM
I think I'm going to cry. I want to play Star Wars so bad, I played wow for years. I have a macbook pro and have no clue how to install bootcamp, etc. on it. If I was able to install it, I don't have a copy of windows to even put on this computer. :( :( :(

DustinT
Dec 22, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think I'm going to cry. I want to play Star Wars so bad, I played wow for years. I have a macbook pro and have no clue how to install bootcamp, etc. on it. If I was able to install it, I don't have a copy of windows to even put on this computer. :( :( :(
Here's how to use bootcamp

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

You'll need a disk and license key for Windows. Any local computer shop will sell them or if you've got friends who are into PC's they maybe able to share a disk with you. You'll still need a key though, which legally comes from Microsoft.

After that, you'll just need to buy and install swtor and\or anyother Windows software you want to run.

Steelgrave
Dec 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
This is the strange part. As representative of Empire, you are given light and dark choices. Without doing any research, I do know there is gear that requires "light" or "dark" alignment to wear. I've wondered out loud in my guild chat if there is any advantage what so ever to being a "light" Sith? No one knows. Ok, so you might be able to snag some particular light gear, but there are equivalent "dark" pieces of gear available. Anyone know of any advantage to being a "light" Sith or a "dark" Jedi?

Everything I have heard/read is it's just cosmetic (color crystals for light sabers etc..), both light and dark have equivalent gear, just different colors. It is confusing alot of folks though how you can be a dark jedi and a light sith, not sure why they were going this way with the game.

I'd also agree, the Jedi starter quests give a very "rainbows & butterflies" view of the world compared to the Sith, but I think that was the intent lol.

Huntn
Dec 22, 2011, 11:22 AM

(pats shoulder) There there, you can play if you want to. Can you afford $80-$100 for Windows? Is so, keep reading. Performance will be determined somewhat by how old of a MBP you have. On mine (see my sig), I played last night with a frame rate in the range of 20-60fps depending what was going on. Performance has been good in this game. I'm also playing Skyrim and it runs great too. :):)

In a nutshell, Bootcamp creates a Windows partition on your Mac's hard drive, then Windows is installed into that partition. You have to decide how much space you want to allow for Windows. IMO I'd say a minimum of 100GB. Be sure you have that much free space. If you don't, another option would be to buy an external hard drive and move some of your Mac content over to free up space.

See the Bootcamp Installation Guide (http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/). You do want to print out the instructions. It's not hard but there are 2 tricky parts. This: Macs can't do anything with Windows NTFS file system except maybe read it. However, Windows now requires NTFS so when you follow the instruction in the Boot Camp install guide, Bootcamp will create a FAT32 partition on your Mac's hard drive. This is the older Windows file system. Bootcamp will tell you to insert your Windows Install CD. When you do, there are specific instruction listed on that printout on how to tell Windows you need to reformat the partition as NTFS. Once you do that, Windows will install itself. Then one more tricky part, while still running Windows, you'll stick your MacOS install DVD in and run a program that installs the Apple Drivers allowing your Mac hardware and Windows software to interact properly.

If you are going to pursue this I'm sure someone, even me could come up a linke to purchase Windows7. :)

Everything I have heard/read is it's just cosmetic (color crystals for light sabers etc..), both light and dark have equivalent gear, just different colors. It is confusing alot of folks though how you can be a dark jedi and a light sith, not sure why they were going this way with the game.

I'd also agree, the Jedi starter quests give a very "rainbows & butterflies" view of the world compared to the Sith, but I think that was the intent lol.

Thanks for the insight! :)

Mac Bulldog
Dec 22, 2011, 06:39 PM
Ok guys, I am in need of some mac wisdom. I'm trying to run swtor on my MBP but am getting "error code 7". :confused:

I have a 13" MBP from this summer (2011). It's got a 2.7 GHz i7 processor and 8 GB ram. I have Parallels 7 with Windows 7 (32 bit). I've used Windows Update to make sure everything is updated.

I'm not sure if the problem is because of parallels or not. I am not opposed to using bootcamp, but it's not my first option as I do not have a Windows disk (I purchased my genuine copy from microsoft.com and downloaded).

Any thoughts, tips, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. If I've left out any important information please let me know. Thanks again! :)

Melbatoaster
Dec 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, hoping for some help here. I have a 17" MBP from mid 2011.

I have recently installed SWTOR on a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate (Bootcamp). It played the cinematic the first time through, but crashed with an "Appcrash" error as soon as it ended. I had it running (Slowly) in Parallels, but now it doesn't want to run in bootcamp.

I've tried the solutions offered on various sites to fix it, such as disabling full screen, running as administrator and trying it with an entirely different user.

Here's the error report, incase anyone wants to see it:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: swtor.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ef26b4f
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdadb
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002fc47
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Any ideas?

Fitret
Dec 23, 2011, 10:28 AM

How'd you get Parallels to use 512MB of VRAM? Mine caps out at 256MB. Also, I have the same exact specs as you (though I'm running Parallels with 4 CPUs to the VM) and yet mine is unplayable. Did you change anything else?

Meicyn
Dec 23, 2011, 11:16 AM
It is confusing alot of folks though how you can be a dark jedi and a light sith, not sure why they were going this way with the game.
It makes plenty of sense when you think about it. Human beings are complex creatures and go beyond emotionless paragons of virtue (typical Jedi) and absurd cartoon villains (typical Sith). A dark Jedi is someone who disagrees with the Jedi order's core teachings, but also despises the Empire. They take an ends justifies the means approach, which is closer to Sith teachings. A light side Sith still believes in the Sith code, but thinks wholesale slaughter of people and kicking puppies harms the Empire more than it helps. I play a light side Sith as my main character in the game, and the story is very compelling.

If you play the Imperial Agent story, you get to see the Imperial Army's perspective, and they regard the Sith as a bunch of petulant manchildren whom have to constantly be cleaned up after every time a Sith has another one of their tantrums. The Empire is run by sociopaths, and such a society is unsustainable without the efforts of normal, more level-headed people.

The Republic side is easily the least interesting of the two sides due to the nature of the Jedi and the limited freedom you have in what they can do in the spectrum that is morality, but playing an alignment other than what is typical makes things a lot more fun. After all, the Jedi believe that love is a bad thing, which is hilariously absurd.

Bobby Corwen
Dec 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
I have the early 2011 2.3 i7 17" MBP with 8GB RAM

Does anyone have any experience with a beefier system like this and if I can play it above "low" graphic settings?

NightStrikergp
Dec 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
I've been playing it on my mbp without too much hiccups (but have to keep shadows off) however I was curious if anyone was playing on a 27" iMac?

I'll be upgrading my desktop in the next few weeks and would love to play it on the iMac but unsure how well it'd run at native resolution on the 27"

The system I'm going after is

i7 3.4 GHz
16 GB RAM
1TB/256GB SSD
2 GB 6970M Radeon

I'm guessing the bottleneck will be the video card but wanted to see what performance was like for swtor. This might be a work computer but when I'm not working I'd rather be playing

Sith Vol
Dec 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have a 13in low end model MBA. All I want to do is install W7 Home Premium to a partition and then run the game through an external. I really don't want to install SWTOR. I'd like to partition less than 50gb. Is that possible?

Blooo
Dec 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
to the people who actually have the game what framerate are you getting when playing and on what settings?(low/medium/high/custom)

corbyone
Dec 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
to the people who actually have the game what framerate are you getting when playing and on what settings?(low/medium/high/custom)

also what are the specs of your mac that you achieved those fps... Thanks

Meicyn
Dec 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
I play on the 27" iMac with 12GB of RAM, the i5 processor, and the 1GB 6970 videocard. I play the game now at 1080p with 4x Antialiasing and 16x Anisotropic filtering. All settings are maxed including shadows, but bloom is turned off. I get mid 30s on the fleet with a ton of players on screen or on planets with a ton of foilage. On rare spots where there is a ton of fog, upper 20s. Everywhere else, it's in the upper 50s and higher.

Performance would skyrocket if I turned shadows off, but I like them and the game is very playable with them on. Bloom isn't worth it, as a good 10 frames or more are usually lost for minimal graphical improvement. Shadows add a lot to a scene and make it look less flat. Bloom... not so much.

Trw8108
Dec 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
I have a 13" mid 2009 MacBook pro 2.26 ghz 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 nvidia GeForce 9400M 256 mb running lion? Will my MacBook be able to handle the game and if so what way should I run it, parallels or boot camp?

Huntn
Dec 23, 2011, 05:09 PM

My Sig, 20-50FPS depending on what is going on.

SpyFox229
Dec 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
Hello!

I have a 2010 21.5" iMac with a 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 processor and ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics.

Most people have mentioned buying Windows 7, but I'm wondering how well ToR would work using Windows XP(through either parallels or bootcamp). Which would be better? The requirements for the game say it can be run on XP, but how well would it work on my iMac?

doh123
Dec 23, 2011, 06:24 PM
How'd you get Parallels to use 512MB of VRAM? Mine caps out at 256MB. Also, I have the same exact specs as you (though I'm running Parallels with 4 CPUs to the VM) and yet mine is unplayable. Did you change anything else?

really? Parallels 7.. fully updated, running Win7 Pro 64 bit and the vram slider goes up to 1gb for me...

I didn't give it 4 CPUs because I've found the VM actually runs slower if you give it too much stuff (and SWTOR is only made for 1 CPU), because OSX suffers too much and slows down the VM.

I have everything graphically maxed int he game, except I keep Bloom and Shadows disabled, because bloom makes a big hit, and shadows makes it unplayable. Other than that, no I really didn't do anything special. If you aren't using a fully updated Parallels 7, then I doubt its going to work good... VMWare and older versions of Parallels cannot handle it very well.

To everyone worried if their machines will run it... SWTOR is NOT even close to top of the line graphics. Its designed to be able to run on a wide range of systems including low end... you do not need a powerhouse to run the game.

EDIT: also if it matters, I run Windows as fullscreen... but I tried knocking it back to a window and it still ran ok.

Blooo
Dec 23, 2011, 06:44 PM
Im new to playing pc games and i was wondering how you change settings like anti aliasing. i cant see it in game settings.

Edit: also what is all this overclocking people are talking about? Does it make the game more playable?

Could anyone point me to a tutorial?

VeganHipster
Dec 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
Im new to playing pc games and i was wondering how you change settings like anti aliasing. i cant see it in game settings.

Edit: also what is all this overclocking people are talking about? Does it make the game more playable?

Could anyone point me to a tutorial?

For some reason SWTOR does not have Anti-Aliasing as an option on the preferences. People on the official SWTOR forum have found out how to force Anti-Aliasing though I did not reach too much on it.

Fitret
Dec 24, 2011, 12:02 AM
really? Parallels 7.. fully updated, running Win7 Pro 64 bit and the vram slider goes up to 1gb for me...

I didn't give it 4 CPUs because I've found the VM actually runs slower if you give it too much stuff (and SWTOR is only made for 1 CPU), because OSX suffers too much and slows down the VM.

I have everything graphically maxed int he game, except I keep Bloom and Shadows disabled, because bloom makes a big hit, and shadows makes it unplayable. Other than that, no I really didn't do anything special. If you aren't using a fully updated Parallels 7, then I doubt its going to work good... VMWare and older versions of Parallels cannot handle it very well.

To everyone worried if their machines will run it... SWTOR is NOT even close to top of the line graphics. Its designed to be able to run on a wide range of systems including low end... you do not need a powerhouse to run the game.

EDIT: also if it matters, I run Windows as fullscreen... but I tried knocking it back to a window and it still ran ok.

Thanks for calling out that earlier versions of Parallels don't work so hot - I thought I had 7 but it turns out I was running 6! I just bought it a few months ago so I assumed I had the latest version. Anyway, updated to Parallels 7 now and it runs really really well (thank you, free upgrade!). Thanks for the advice!

aznguyen316
Dec 24, 2011, 05:13 AM
I play on the 27" iMac with 12GB of RAM, the i5 processor, and the 1GB 6970 videocard. I play the game now at 1080p with 4x Antialiasing and 16x Anisotropic filtering. All settings are maxed including shadows, but bloom is turned off. I get mid 30s on the fleet with a ton of players on screen or on planets with a ton of foilage. On rare spots where there is a ton of fog, upper 20s. Everywhere else, it's in the upper 50s and higher.

Performance would skyrocket if I turned shadows off, but I like them and the game is very playable with them on. Bloom isn't worth it, as a good 10 frames or more are usually lost for minimal graphical improvement. Shadows add a lot to a scene and make it look less flat. Bloom... not so much.

Good tip on the bloom. On my desktop PC I have everyting maxed and enabled AA in ini files and occasionally FPS dips below the 60 vsync so I'll maybe disable bloom.

BTW AA is super worth it, the game is pretty jagged without it. I only have 1x turned on but it makes a big difference to me IMO.

go to your top bar, put in %appdata% press enter, go back a folder to appdata -> local -> -> SWTOR -> swtor -> settings -> and open up client_settings.ini

add AntiAliasingLevel = 1 under [Renderer] section; you can change it to 2 or 4 or 8 if you like but it takes a massive hit above 2x in performance and it honestly doesn't look that much better. Go for 1

my ini looks like this:

[Renderer]
D3DFullScreen = false
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
VerticalSyncState = true
FullScreen = true
EnableBloom = true
AntiAliasingLevel = 1

[Game]
MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies
SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Liquorpuki
Dec 24, 2011, 05:20 AM
I'm running a Late 2008 MBP:
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

If I were to install XP under bootcamp with a ~80GB partition how well would the game run? I'm not to worried about it being pretty, I currently play WoW on low settings. As long as the game runs smoothly I'm not worried about it looking fantastic.

I installed it on the late 08 core duo MBP in my sig. Using a 60gb 64-bit Windows 7 partition in Bootcamp.

Put all settings on low, disabled shadows and one of the sound settings, and dropped the res to 1024 x ___. The game is totally playable.

Yogakun
Dec 24, 2011, 05:03 PM
I have a fresh install of win 7x64 ultimate sp1, all updates, and the game fully updated. I launched it for the first time, but I am getting no video. I have an imac 2011 mid-2011 model, base unit.

Any solutions?

Interlagos
Dec 24, 2011, 06:26 PM
I have the newest 17" MBP with 1GB of VRAM and I have all the game settings as low as they can go, running at 1920x1200 and I get 60fps for the majority of the game, except for when there's blue fog or a hologram call. In these instances my frame rate is reduced to around 8 fps. Also space missions are running at really low frame rates as well. Seems as if the graphics card is capable of running this game perfectly, I was on the other hand able to run Skyrim very well, a much more graphics intensive game. Any suggestions?

DustinT
Dec 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have the newest 17" MBP with 1GB of VRAM and I have all the game settings as low as they can go, running at 1920x1200 and I get 60fps for the majority of the game, except for when there's blue fog or a hologram call. In these instances my frame rate is reduced to around 8 fps. Also space missions are running at really low frame rates as well. Seems as if the graphics card is capable of running this game perfectly, I was on the other hand able to run Skyrim very well, a much more graphics intensive game. Any suggestions?Check that you have the latest graphics drivers and if that doesn't work, hope the next patch fixes it.

Interlagos
Dec 24, 2011, 06:54 PM
Check that you have the latest graphics drivers and if that doesn't work, hope the next patch fixes it.

Thanks you, I did check through windows if it had the latest video driver and it did. Does AMD provide a specific driver package I can install?

DustinT
Dec 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks you, I did check through windows if it had the latest video driver and it did. Does AMD provide a specific driver package I can install?Sure does... Google provided this link, it looks like it will get you started.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

peter3mj
Dec 25, 2011, 02:08 AM
15 inch macbook pro mid 2009
2.53 GHz Intel core 2 duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Windows 7, 32 bit

Download the entire game and go to enter and it wont even load, gives me an error code. :( Put windows 7 on my computer just for this game.

Yogakun
Dec 25, 2011, 04:34 AM
So i escalated my problem to level inept level 2 technical support. After waiting for 2 hours, and sending them an email with my full diagnosis files, they told me they can't help me because I'm using bootcamp.

I'm hoping some solution comes from this board, because in the swtor forums some people are having the same issues like me:

The game is installed, but as soon as I launch the game, it goes black. No video, just sound.

corbyone
Dec 25, 2011, 05:59 AM
So i escalated my problem to level inept level 2 technical support. After waiting for 2 hours, and sending them an email with my full diagnosis files, they told me they can't help me because I'm using bootcamp.

I'm hoping some solution comes from this board, because in the swtor forums some people are having the same issues like me:

The game is installed, but as soon as I launch the game, it goes black. No video, just sound.

I am by no means sure this will work nor am I a mac person (yet) but I am a computer teacher and when we first installed windows 7 on our PCs there were certain programs that what you are describing would happen. To this day one still does it. What you can try is to press the windows key (what ever keystroke one a mac would do the same in bootcamp) the key that brings up the start/program menu. You may see the menu appear with SWTOR running in the background in a smaller window, then you ca maximize and see if it works. Like I said not sure it will work but it does for a few programs I use in my classroom. Hope it helps...

Yogakun
Dec 25, 2011, 06:04 AM
I fixed it! so far so good.

I don't know about bootcamp, I tried installing 3.3, but apparently I can't install it because I have 4.01. I'm still a mac noob, really only playing with the osx since August.

Anyway I'm in windows, and I thought I had the latest drivers from AMD 11.xx.
No, I tried the latest AMD 12.1 preview drivers, I restart, and it works.

Hopefully it fixes it. The solution was by lurking the forums endlessly, until someone said that amd 12.1 drivers work.

This is the solution for your black screens I'm guessing, which Is a big problem on the swtor forums.

aznguyen316
Dec 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
15 inch macbook pro mid 2009
2.53 GHz Intel core 2 duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Windows 7, 32 bit

Download the entire game and go to enter and it wont even load, gives me an error code. :( Put windows 7 on my computer just for this game.

Sorry to hear.. but yeah that 9400m won't cut it.

Rhieia
Dec 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
13'' MacBook - Late 2008
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I need this game to run. I just got it for Christmas. But I don't know what I should do. What would be the best option for my computer? I originally was just going to go with Parallels, but now I'm reading all of this stuff about BootCamp and Wineskin and all of this other stuff I've never heard of or dealt with. Do I really need to partition my drive to play this game?

I don't mind mediocre graphics. I've been playing WoW with low graphics for years and I'm just fine with that. But I'd really like to avoid major game glitches and side effects to my machine.

Please somebody tell me what I should do!! :confused:

DustinT
Dec 25, 2011, 10:53 AM
13'' MacBook - Late 2008
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I need this game to run. I just got it for Christmas. But I don't know what I should do. What would be the best option for my computer? I originally was just going to go with Parallels, but now I'm reading all of this stuff about BootCamp and Wineskin and all of this other stuff I've never heard of or dealt with. Do I really need to partition my drive to play this game?

I don't mind mediocre graphics. I've been playing WoW with low graphics for years and I'm just fine with that. But I'd really like to avoid major game glitches and side effects to my machine.

Please somebody tell me what I should do!! :confused:Bootcamp is by far the best option. In fact, with the older hardware you have, it might be your only option.

Wineskin and Parallels are virtualization tools and they will greatly reduce the performance of the game. Bootcamp FTW.

Huntn
Dec 25, 2011, 11:22 AM
Bootcamp is by far the best option. In fact, with the older hardware you have, it might be your only option.

Wineskin and Parallels are virtualization tools and they will greatly reduce the performance of the game. Bootcamp FTW.

Bootcamp seconded.

Rhieia
Dec 25, 2011, 12:11 PM
Bootcamp is by far the best option. In fact, with the older hardware you have, it might be your only option.

Ok, but what about this. I'm not sure if this is actually different or not. Apparently there is a combination of bootcamp and parallels.

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd78/?source=g_us&gclid=CNPn-7Dona0CFYPc4AodSjynlg

If you could take a look and let me know what that's about it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

marsh043
Dec 25, 2011, 01:25 PM
hello all,

i have windows 7 ultimate installed with parallels 6. i am trying to set up boot camp, because id much rather play on that. i tried burning the ISO Image of windows 7 on a DVD-R but nothing is showing up on that disc, therefore i keep getting this error in Boot Camp Assistant. "The installer disc could not be found. Insert your windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized." Do i need to purchase another copy of windows 7, since the one i have came from parallel 6? I've been searching for answers all over the internet but can't find any

thank you much,

Justin

DustinT
Dec 25, 2011, 06:44 PM
Ok, but what about this. I'm not sure if this is actually different or not. Apparently there is a combination of bootcamp and parallels.

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd78/?source=g_us&gclid=CNPn-7Dona0CFYPc4AodSjynlg

If you could take a look and let me know what that's about it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)Sure, thats a good idea but it requires Bootcamp before it will work. Even after you have everything setup, you're not going to be able to play SWTOR using it, you'll have to boot into Bootcamp.

Bootcamp, Bootcamp, Bootcamp... Just use Bootcamp.

doh123
Dec 25, 2011, 07:18 PM

If you could take a look and let me know what that's about it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)
Bootcamp is just a program that helps you get Windows installed directly on the machine like any other PC runs it... Bootcamp doesn't run Windows. Parallels will let you use the Bootcamp install inside a virtual machine, but then its normal virtual machine running on top of OSX, so its still going to be much slower... you have to install and boot directly into Windows (aka Bootcamp... aka Dual Boot) if you want full Windows performance. This option with Parallels just lets you have the option... run in a Virtual Machine so you can do a few things with OSX and Windows at the same time, or reboot into Windows only for a full Windows experience, all with the same install of Windows.

Parallels is virtualization... it basically emulates computer hardware, so you can install Windows in that fake "hardware" computer...

Wineskin is nothing like that what-so-ever. its basically a collection of libraries needed to understand Windows software and run it. Being that many things (including DirectX) has to... in a very simple explanation.. be translated on the fly, this extra layer will slow things down more than a fully well programed native version would run... I say well programmed, because many fully native ports are done such half way rushed, there are some Wineskin ports that actually run faster than native ports. Parallels cannot even hope to keep up with the performance level that Wine (Wineskin, Crossover, etc...) can get *if* its running right with Wine.

Thats all besides the point anyways since there are currently bugs with Wine causing it to not be playable... so you'd have to wait for that, or play with Windows.

goMac
Dec 25, 2011, 11:19 PM
With a 9400m, I wouldn't do anything other than Boot Camp. I have a 9600m, and it's certainly taxing my machine. I'm running on a combination of medium/low settings.

cbenj1976
Dec 26, 2011, 12:14 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing the latest mac mini to serve as my media center and to play some PC games (obviously SWTOR). I see the best option would be to partition and install windows 7. The specs of the mini are
(from Best Buy)
Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features a 3MB L3 cache and 2.3GHz processor speed.
Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Automatically speeds up your processor when your Mac needs extra performance. Intel® HD Graphics are built into Intel's smart new processors.
2GB DDR3 memory
500GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Feature 288MB DDR3 SDRAM video memory for lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV. Dual display and video mirroring capability.

How will SWTOR run on this machine? Thanks for all the input you guys put on these sites. Really helps noobs like me!

DustinT
Dec 26, 2011, 06:08 PM
Parallels is virtualization... it basically emulates computer hardware, so you can install Windows in that fake "hardware" computer...

Wineskin is nothing like that what-so-ever. its basically a collection of libraries needed to understand Windows software and run it. Being that many things (including DirectX) has to... in a very simple explanation.. be translated on the fly, this extra layer will slow things down more than a fully well programed native version would run...

Thats all besides the point anyways since there are currently bugs with Wine causing it to not be playable... so you'd have to wait for that, or play with Windows.I think it could safely be argued that Wine is virtualizing a Window environment under the Mac OS X. It's semantics, I suppose, to argue whether an emulator is virtualizing... . But, I'd call that a form of virtualization because it's pretending to be another environment that the native one.

But anyway... Back to the point, neither Parallels or Wine or Wineskin are the best way to game on a Mac if you're using 3d. Bootcamp is the best solution for playing SWTOR.

Sith Vol
Dec 27, 2011, 01:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I successfully have the game running. I have a 13" MBA with 128gb. I partitioned 50gb for Win 7 Home Premium and copied my SWTOR folder from external to laptop. I'm running the game on low settings and it's perfectly fine.

doh123
Dec 27, 2011, 09:12 AM
I think it could safely be argued that Wine is virtualizing a Window environment under the Mac OS X. It's semantics, I suppose, to argue whether an emulator is virtualizing... . But, I'd call that a form of virtualization because it's pretending to be another environment that the native one.

But anyway... Back to the point, neither Parallels or Wine or Wineskin are the best way to game on a Mac if you're using 3d. Bootcamp is the best solution for playing SWTOR.
no... its not emulating and its not pretending to be Windows. If it was actually emulating Windows it would probably be more compatible (yet slower). Wine is simply a fully native implementation of Windows APIs... Windows programs that use those APIs now have the APIs available.

Bootcamp is the "best" way to play it if you want it to be easy and run with the highest frame rate possible.. yes.... but since "best" is subjective, its better to give people all the info and let them choose what is best for them.

cbenj1976
Dec 30, 2011, 08:59 AM
Does it matter what Windows OS I use on my partition in bootcamp? Does it make any difference if I use XP, Vista or 7? Meaning, will the OS effect how the game plays?

Meicyn
Dec 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
Running it in XP instead of 7 will give you no added benefit. However, if you have more than 4 GB of RAM, you won't be able to utilize it all unless you're running Windows 7 64-bit.

Don't bother with Vista. It uses more resources just to run the OS and offers no benefit over 7.

Also, I'm going to leave this here: http://youtu.be/1oEXxltvm34

Micaeus
Dec 30, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hey Guy's I'm not too familiar with how this works, but I'd love some help to see if running out and buying Windows 7 64 bit will work to run SWTOR on my System via bootcamp 2.0.

Specs:

Imac G5 osx 10.5.8
2.66 GHz intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

I have a feeling from reading this post that it wont work, what drivers would I need for either os etc if I could possibly get it running?

Any help would be much appreciated

Micaeus
Dec 30, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hey Guy's I'm not too familiar with how this works, but I'd love some help to see if running out and buying Windows 7 64 bit will work to run SWTOR on my System via bootcamp 2.0.

Specs:

Imac G5 osx 10.5.8
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

I have a feeling from reading this post that it wont work, what drivers would I need for either os etc if I could possibly get it running?

anyone?

for those not wanting to answer me via 10.5.8 not running 7 being said, I've read on quite a few blogs that it is possible, i just need to know if my system can pull it off

please help, my brother is leveling and it's killing me lol

Siggen
Dec 30, 2011, 04:46 PM
no... its not emulating and its not pretending to be Windows. If it was actually emulating Windows it would probably be more compatible (yet slower). Wine is simply a fully native implementation of Windows APIs... Windows programs that use those APIs now have the APIs available.

Bootcamp is the "best" way to play it if you want it to be easy and run with the highest frame rate possible.. yes.... but since "best" is subjective, its better to give people all the info and let them choose what is best for them.

To be fair doh123, Wine is actually emulating Windows. Compared to Parallels emulating hardware to run Windows.

In a virtualized environment a REAL Windows asks hardware calls and programs like VirtualBox and Parallels answers them. But when you run a program in Wine the REAL program asks system calls and an emulated Windows answers them.

Compare to a totally different scenario ScummVM which an open source fan made clone of the SCUMM engine, which is able to run the REAL scripts.

Micaeus
Dec 30, 2011, 07:02 PM

Specs:

Imac G5 osx 10.5.8
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

I'm feeling like a creeper here, but seriously, I am illiterate when it comes to computer specs.I have no problem buying windows 7, I just dont want to partition my HD if I can't run the game.

if anyone can give me a "yes" or "no" to me running SWTOR on my specs in any way shape or form, I'd really appreciate it

Micaeus
Dec 30, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'm going to post why I think it could work, in hopes that one of you kind souls will help me out....I'm a little confused why so many have been helped and not me...but c'est la vie

Specs:

Processor Minimum 4 Swtor: Intel core 2 duo 2.0GHz+
My specs:2.66 GHz intel Core 2 Duo

this looks like its more then enough

OS Minimum 4 Swtor: Win 7 w/ 2GB ram or higher
My specs: 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

again, this looks good, but I'm not 100% sure

Video Min 4 Swtor: ATIx1800 or better
My specs: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

totally clueless as to whether or not mine is on par or above the min

someone please help!, this is only a temp thing until I can afford a pc laptop...I'd just like to know whether I should drop the bucks on a snow leopard cd for the 3.0 driver and windows 7 64bit.

again, sorry for the creeping, but this seems to be the only place with any info

DustinT
Dec 30, 2011, 10:43 PM

Bootcamp is the "best" way to play it if you want it to be easy and run with the highest frame rate possible.. yes.... but since "best" is subjective, its better to give people all the info and let them choose what is best for them.Interestingly, the name Wine initially meant WINdows Emulator (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/windows-emulation/wine-faq/) and was later changed to mean Wine Is Not an Emulator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)#Wine_vs._native_Unix_applications) (third paragraph). So, doh123, apparently you aren't the only one confused. However, I'll be moving on now since I find arguing about semantics (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semantics) to be pointless. I've learned that instead of saying "You are completely full of (%@#", it's best just to tip your hat and move on.

Good day to you sir.

doh123
Dec 30, 2011, 11:38 PM
Interestingly, the name Wine initially meant WINdows Emulator (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/windows-emulation/wine-faq/) and was later changed to mean Wine Is Not an Emulator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)#Wine_vs._native_Unix_applications) (third paragraph). So, doh123, apparently you aren't the only one confused. However, I'll be moving on now since I find arguing about semantics (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semantics) to be pointless. I've learned that instead of saying "You are completely full of (%@#", it's best just to tip your hat and move on.

Good day to you sir.

I'm not confused... its fine if your confused... it can be confusing... using a 15 year old FAQ isn't the best way to go though... as what Wine was aiming to be, and what it turned out to be aren't exactly the same.

I happen to work with Wine a lot, its not just a passing fancy...

Siggen
Dec 31, 2011, 06:24 AM
I'm not confused... its fine if your confused... it can be confusing... using a 15 year old FAQ isn't the best way to go though... as what Wine was aiming to be, and what it turned out to be aren't exactly the same.

I happen to work with Wine a lot, its not just a passing fancy...

Yes doh123, your an awesome programmer and your work with wine is awesome!

but i still think if you call wine an emulator or not is just semantics.

Samuriajackon
Dec 31, 2011, 07:40 AM
OS Minimum 4 Swtor: Win 7 w/ 2GB ram or higher
My specs: 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

again, this looks good, but I'm not 100% sure

Video Min 4 Swtor: ATIx1800 or better
My specs: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

again, sorry for the creeping, but this seems to be the only place with any info

I just made the mistake of thinking I had 4GB of Ram in my new iMac...make sure that you are running 64-bit version of whatever windows you fancy, if you do not, you will be essentially running the game with only 2.2GB of ram used by the program.

with my iMac listed below I'm running the game at 1200x800(0r about) in Full Screen mode with Model and Textures on high, grass and tree models set to minim, V sync off. Running game just fine 25 to 45 FPS.

Micaeus
Dec 31, 2011, 02:07 PM
I just made the mistake of thinking I had 4GB of Ram in my new iMac...make sure that you are running 64-bit version of whatever windows you fancy, if you do not, you will be essentially running the game with only 2.2GB of ram used by the program.

with my iMac listed below I'm running the game at 1200x800(0r about) in Full Screen mode with Model and Textures on high, grass and tree models set to minim, V sync off. Running game just fine 25 to 45 FPS.

yeah, I planned on getting the 64 bit version after reading through a bunch of posts here, I'm still not sure IF my system will pull it off after its all said and done, and wasting all that cash on win7 etc for nothing.

thanks for the reply, but I'm still not clear if I can pull it off lol :)

DustinT
Dec 31, 2011, 07:11 PM
yeah, I planned on getting the 64 bit version after reading through a bunch of posts here, I'm still not sure IF my system will pull it off after its all said and done, and wasting all that cash on win7 etc for nothing.

thanks for the reply, but I'm still not clear if I can pull it off lol :)Windows 7 can be installed from the disk WITHOUT a serial key and will work as a demo for a couple of months. That's probably the best way to try it before you commit and spend the money. Later, you can easily purchase and activate the software with the key from a retail disk.

Micaeus
Jan 1, 2012, 02:25 AM
Windows 7 can be installed from the disk WITHOUT a serial key and will work as a demo for a couple of months. That's probably the best way to try it before you commit and spend the money. Later, you can easily purchase and activate the software with the key from a retail disk.

awesome, thanks, but I don't want to make the leap unless swtor will run on my set up with windows 7

Specs:

Imac G5 osx 10.5.8
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

thanks for your time

BornAgainMac
Jan 1, 2012, 08:44 AM
It should be native.

Siggen
Jan 1, 2012, 10:43 AM
It should be native.

Well, the people who made the Hero Engine is working on making the engine run on OS X, Linux, iOS and Android. But I expect that to happen sometime in 2012 or 2013. And if BioWare will even use this to their advantage and put in the time and resource to port SWTOR over to the OS X Hero Engine we will just have to wait and see.

Micaeus
Jan 1, 2012, 02:19 PM
It should be native.

Is that a "yes"? sorry, not sure what Native means in this context

----------

Windows 7 can be installed from the disk WITHOUT a serial key and will work as a demo for a couple of months. That's probably the best way to try it before you commit and spend the money. Later, you can easily purchase and activate the software with the key from a retail disk.

so, after partitioning my HD , can I access the demo from my mac side?...how do I install a demo if I download it to my mac side?...burn it to cd?

thanks

DustinT
Jan 1, 2012, 07:13 PM
so, after partitioning my HD , can I access the demo from my mac side?...how do I install a demo if I download it to my mac side?...burn it to cd?

thanksWhat you need to do is run the Bootcamp utility that's already on your system. It will guide you through the steps to install Windows. Do not partition the drive on your own.

Once you have Windows installed you will need to boot into Windows. That means Mac OS X isn't running on your system. For all intents and purposes, you now have a Windows laptop. Just follow the normal SWTOR installation procedure and you'll be good to go. Anytime you want to play SWTOR or do anything else that requires Windows you'll need to reboot your machine into Windows.

There is one add-on you can do, that's totally optional and frankly, of limited value. You can purchase Parallels and direct it to load up your Bootcamp installation of Windows. You can then access Windows from within your Mac however there is a pretty serious performance penalty to games, so don't think you can just run Parallels and play SWTOR that way. You can however, use this to make the installation less painful by running the installer while you are using your Mac for other things.

Micaeus
Jan 1, 2012, 11:23 PM
What you need to do is run the Bootcamp utility that's already on your system. It will guide you through the steps to install Windows. Do not partition the drive on your own.

Once you have Windows installed you will need to boot into Windows. That means Mac OS X isn't running on your system. For all intents and purposes, you now have a Windows laptop. Just follow the normal SWTOR installation procedure and you'll be good to go. Anytime you want to play SWTOR or do anything else that requires Windows you'll need to reboot your machine into Windows.

There is one add-on you can do, that's totally optional and frankly, of limited value. You can purchase Parallels and direct it to load up your Bootcamp installation of Windows. You can then access Windows from within your Mac however there is a pretty serious performance penalty to games, so don't think you can just run Parallels and play SWTOR that way. You can however, use this to make the installation less painful by running the installer while you are using your Mac for other things.

thanks, I understand that, Its just how do I access the demo version of windows 7 to install it if I'm downloading it from my mac side?. I assume it will ask for the installation disc? or will I be able to use the demo download by selecting the file from my mac hd when I'm doing the Bootcamp install?.

I'm still fuzzy on whether or not my specs can run the game, but if I can install window 7 demo, then I'll give it a shot

doh123
Jan 2, 2012, 06:47 AM
thanks, I understand that, Its just how do I access the demo version of windows 7 to install it if I'm downloading it from my mac side?. I assume it will ask for the installation disc? or will I be able to use the demo download by selecting the file from my mac hd when I'm doing the Bootcamp install?.

I'm still fuzzy on whether or not my specs can run the game, but if I can install window 7 demo, then I'll give it a shot

Win7 Demo is just installing Windows like normal from a normal Win7 install disc and just not activating it.

This means you'd get a Win7 disc downloaded in ISO format and burn it to a disc... and do a normal Windows install using Bootcamp. If later you decide to wipe it out, Bootcamp will do it for you... or if you want to keep it, you just pay for a Win7 license and activate the copy you already have and its good to go.

Just make sure you are installing the same version you are wanting to buy so the activation should work ok. Like if you install Win7 Ultimate 64 bit but buy a license for Win7 32 bit it won't work... etc... or Win7 home, Win7 pro.. etc etc...

Akarin
Jan 2, 2012, 08:17 AM
Just make sure you are installing the same version you are wanting to buy so the activation should work ok. Like if you install Win7 Ultimate 64 bit but buy a license for Win7 32 bit it won't work... etc... or Win7 home, Win7 pro.. etc etc...

Wrong. A license for 32 bits works with a 64 bits edition. As long as the edition ("Ultimate", "Home Premium", etc...) is the same.

DustinT
Jan 2, 2012, 09:17 AM
Wrong. A license for 32 bits works with a 64 bits edition. As long as the edition ("Ultimate", "Home Premium", etc...) is the same.Yes, I can confirm this.

doh123
Jan 2, 2012, 09:59 AM
Wrong. A license for 32 bits works with a 64 bits edition. As long as the edition ("Ultimate", "Home Premium", etc...) is the same.

thats how its supposed to work, yes... but never assume it will work right... I've had it not work myself, plus there are others who have had problems. Activation with Windows is always problematic, and its safest to make sure you install the same exact version your purchase was for.

DustinT
Jan 2, 2012, 10:19 AM
thats how its supposed to work, yes... but never assume it will work right... I've had it not work myself, plus there are others who have had problems. Activation with Windows is always problematic, and its safest to make sure you install the same exact version your purchase was for.I've had plenty of god experiences with this. doh123, you just need to run Wine and stop playing with Windows.

Akarin
Jan 2, 2012, 10:41 AM
thats how its supposed to work, yes... but never assume it will work right...

It does work, period. If it doesn't, call the free MS number, give your activation key and they'll return you an activation code. I've had over 100 machines with Ultimate 64 bits on them activated with a 64 bits serial code during the past 6 months.

Siggen
Jan 2, 2012, 11:49 AM
I've had plenty of god experiences with this. doh123, you just need to run Wine and stop playing with Windows.

DustinT I don't think you know who you are talking to, doh123 is a legend in the Wine community and a revered programmer. Its not far of to say that doh123 might be the one person in this whole forum who knows most about Wine, and especially about wine+mac.

It does work, period. If it doesn't, call the free MS number, give your activation key and they'll return you an activation code. I've had over 100 machines with Ultimate 64 bits on them activated with a 64 bits serial code during the past 6 months.

Your reasoning is correct, but as doh123 were saying, you might have problems, and its a hassel call, its something to do and I've done it several times. I'd rather I didn't have to.

DustinT
Jan 2, 2012, 12:15 PM
DustinT I don't think you know who you are talking to, doh123 is a legend in the Wine community and a revered programmer. Its not far of to say that doh123 might be the one person in this whole forum who knows most about Wine, and especially about wine+mac.I do appreciate your information, I was not aware of that. It is a little frustrating when people who should know better post wrong information, or take an argumentative tone. Being associated with Wine does not make one an expert on it, Windows or on polite behavior.

In any event, I'm going to leave this matter alone. I believe more than enough has been said by all parties involved.

Again, Siggen, I do appreciate your post. Thank you.

bcburrows
Jan 2, 2012, 12:33 PM

Can I ask what machine you have and how you set up your virtual machine or star wars.

Cheers

doh123
Jan 2, 2012, 12:56 PM
Can I ask what machine you have and how you set up your virtual machine or star wars.

Cheers

Running on a MBP 17" early 2011. i7 2.2, 8gb ram, Radeon 6750 1gb.

Parallels 7 fully updated (earlier versions work poorly). Have it set to 2 CPUs and 3.5 gb of ram with 512mb vram for the VM, set for Windows performance... and SmartMouse disabled.

Running Win7 Pro 64 bit with many of the bells and whistles, including Aero disabled (it does help performance).

SWTOR I have set at 1280x800, with Bloom and Shadows disabled, everything else at max... using Fullscreen (windowed) setting so the mouse works right.

Depending where I am and what I'm doing, the frame rate is anywhere from 30 to around 65.

I was only saying, its best to avoid hassles than having to deal with them... it doesn't take really any extra work to make sure your versions match up, and takes away a lot of risk. Calling MS is a PITA, so why not take an extra couple of seconds to avoid the risk?

Micaeus
Jan 2, 2012, 01:14 PM
thanks for the help guys, I plan to get the win 7 64bit demo and Ill make sure I buy the right "ultimate" or "home", but this is just a temp fix till I can get a good pc desktop for gaming.

I'm a music producer and most if not all of my imac's space is taken up by my music, I'm still pretty apprehensive about doing bootcamp, as I've always had issues with all of my imac's power supplies and don't want to jeopardize anything mac side when I do this....

goMac
Jan 3, 2012, 02:01 PM
Ahem.

"BioWare: Mac version of Star Wars: The Old Republic is something it's 'looking at next'"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/

DustinT
Jan 3, 2012, 02:39 PM
Ahem.

"BioWare: Mac version of Star Wars: The Old Republic is something it's 'looking at next'"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/Ya, that's a PR speak for maybe someday... The quote you mentioned indicates they haven't even started development work on it yet, so there's no reason to expect anything in the next couple of years.

goMac
Jan 3, 2012, 03:54 PM
Ya, that's a PR speak for maybe someday... The quote you mentioned indicates they haven't even started development work on it yet, so there's no reason to expect anything in the next couple of years.

They're actually using a third party engine, and the company that does the engine says they're shipping a Mac version in the next few months.

Seems to dovetail nicely with it being what they're looking at next. And obviously it means development work is nearly done on the engine for Mac.

jffjnny
Jan 3, 2012, 06:18 PM

I successfully have the game running. I have a 13" MBA with 128gb. I partitioned 50gb for Win 7 Home Premium and copied my SWTOR folder from external to laptop. I'm running the game on low settings and it's perfectly fine.

What processor is that MBA using and did you use Parallels? I'm using a 13 inch MBP, Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Intel Core i7 2.7 Ghz. Thanks

DustinT
Jan 3, 2012, 08:02 PM
They're actually using a third party engine, and the company that does the engine says they're shipping a Mac version in the next few months.

Seems to dovetail nicely with it being what they're looking at next. And obviously it means development work is nearly done on the engine for Mac.Yes, but the development work being done on the engine doesn't really mean the the game made on the engine is close to release. Like I said, Bioware has stated they haven't started work on a Mac port yet. So, if the engine is supposed to be released in a Mac compatible version in a few months and then there's the conversion work to make the game compatible with it, it could well be a couple of years before there's an actual game to play. Then all the threads will be titled 'will my 2014 iMac Pro play SWTOR - Mac Edition?'

----------

Seems to dovetail nicely with it being what they're looking at next. And obviously it means development work is nearly done on the engine for Mac.

After further research I pulled the original quote again and was able to get it translated (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14104461&postcount=3).

goMac
Jan 3, 2012, 08:45 PM
Yes, but the development work being done on the engine doesn't really mean the the game made on the engine is close to release. Like I said, Bioware has stated they haven't started work on a Mac port yet. So, if the engine is supposed to be released in a Mac compatible version in a few months and then there's the conversion work to make the game compatible with it, it could well be a couple of years before there's an actual game to play. Then all the threads will be titled 'will my 2014 iMac Pro play SWTOR - Mac Edition?'

The engine is actually a pre-built kit/IDE with it's own project type. So there isn't really much of a porting process for Bioware, they just load in their project and their scripts and it runs. I'd suggest taking a look at the engine and it's data sheets, makes things pretty clear.

That, and TOR is the only game using the engine, so if the engine is being ported to Mac, who exactly do you think that porting work is being done for? A dedicated MMORPG engine, which provides the entire kit for game creation, only being used for TOR currently, being ported to Mac? Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

But you're the expert translator, I suppose.

DustinT
Jan 3, 2012, 11:55 PM
The engine is actually a pre-built kit/IDE with it's own project type. So there isn't really much of a porting process for Bioware, they just load in their project and their scripts and it runs. I'd suggest taking a look at the engine and it's data sheets, makes things pretty clear.

That, and TOR is the only game using the engine, so if the engine is being ported to Mac, who exactly do you think that porting work is being done for? A dedicated MMORPG engine, which provides the entire kit for game creation, only being used for TOR currently, being ported to Mac? Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

But you're the expert translator, I suppose.Yes, the engine is a pre-built project but it would be dangerous to your position to assume that Bioware hadn't tweaked, enhanced or reprogramed any parts of the engine when it spent $300 million (reportedly) developing the game. Oh, and TOR isn't the only game using the engine, their own site spotlights 6 major projects (http://www.heroengine.com/spotlight/) that are being developed for releases this year and next.

Considering that Bioware has never done an in-house port of one of their products to the Mac platform, I doubt they can pull this one off in a matter of months as you are suggesting. Once they start looking at developing for the Mac, which their comments clearly indicate they have not yet done (http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/), I think it will take more like 1 - 2 years before you see it launch.

doh123
Jan 4, 2012, 08:17 AM
yes, HeroEngine is being ported to Mac (and Linux).

SWTOR is highly customized, and many of those customization have to be ported to the Mac version so its not super simple.

Luckily a lot of their customization was in tools used to make the game as well, which is still going to be Windows only, as the Mac/Linux/etc version of HeroEngine is a client only version, and Windows will still be required to make content.

2 years? nah... 1 year... maybe.

Collected
Jan 4, 2012, 10:07 AM
It's surprising that they didn't have support right out of the box. Blizzard now support Mac as standard and if you buy any future games such as Diablo 3, it will be out on both PC and Mac at the same time. I imagine their next MMO will follow the same route.

DustinT
Jan 4, 2012, 10:40 AM
yes, HeroEngine is being ported to Mac (and Linux).

SWTOR is highly customized, and many of those customization have to be ported to the Mac version so its not super simple.

Luckily a lot of their customization was in tools used to make the game as well, which is still going to be Windows only, as the Mac/Linux/etc version of HeroEngine is a client only version, and Windows will still be required to make content.

2 years? nah... 1 year... maybe.And that's from the time they start work on it. From the quote that's got everyone up in arms, they've not even taken a serious look at it. From a business perspective, it probably doesn't make sense to get serious about a Mac port until the Mac engine is done.

sama86
Jan 5, 2012, 05:03 AM
So, guys, will the game run with 13"??? i have 2,8GHz i7 MBP and i wish play SWTOR, so if i install windows7 through bootcamp is it enough?

what i need?

1º original windows 7 64bits disc
2º bootcamp
3º SWTOR

make hhd partition via bootcamp and install w7, then install swtor and choose low graphics... is that all??

thanks everyone!!:apple:

Huntn
Jan 5, 2012, 08:31 AM
So, guys, will the game run with 13"??? i have 2,8GHz i7 MBP and i wish play SWTOR, so if i install windows7 through bootcamp is it enough?

what i need?

1º original windows 7 64bits disc
2º bootcamp
3º SWTOR

make hhd partition via bootcamp and install w7, then install swtor and choose low graphics... is that all??

thanks everyone!!:apple:

Bootcamp is included with the MacOS for free. 32bit Windows7 also works, but it and SWTOR will have to be purchased. Your bottleneck is the video card on the 13" MBP but it is still playable (I believe). ;)

----------

Yes, the engine is a pre-built project but it would be dangerous to your position to assume that Bioware hadn't tweaked, enhanced or reprogramed any parts of the engine when it spent $300 million (reportedly) developing the game. Oh, and TOR isn't the only game using the engine, their own site spotlights 6 major projects (http://www.heroengine.com/spotlight/) that are being developed for releases this year and next.

Considering that Bioware has never done an in-house port of one of their products to the Mac platform, I doubt they can pull this one off in a matter of months as you are suggesting. Once they start looking at developing for the Mac, which their comments clearly indicate they have not yet done (http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/), I think it will take more like 1 - 2 years before you see it launch.

For years I followed "Hero's Journey" on MMORPG.com, apparently the vapor ware title being developed by the owners of this engine. I am impressed that it actually served as a launching point for real game and such a game. I guess their marketing strategy hit a home run. :)

sokweman
Jan 8, 2012, 02:18 PM
So I'm running parallels 7 on my late 2011 15"MBP (2.5 quad, 8gb ram - half of which is dedicated to virtual machine) for the sole purpose or swtor. everything seems to be working fine except for in swtor, where the mouse cursor's horizontal sync is way off. vertical sync seems to be fine. Not sure how to describe it technically, but in order to click on something 2/3 of the way across the screen (moving left to right), i have to move the visible cursor ALL the way to the right side of the screen. Things on the right third of the screen can't be clicked on because of this - hence I can't change the swtor video settings via the internal interface. I tried messing with some of the resolution settings in the swtor settings.ini file, but didn't get any improvement. There seem to be multiple settings for horiz and vert resolution in there anyway and i'm not sure which ones to tweak.

Tried turning off the smart mouse option (in fullscreen and otherwise) which seems to make the mouse disappear from the fullscreen swtor client entirely. (when I then quit swtor, the mouse is on the fulscreen windows desktop functioning fine) Using a cyborg Rat-5 mouse, with the cyborg client installed on OSX only, if that makes a difference.

doh123
Jan 8, 2012, 03:43 PM
So I'm running parallels 7 on my late 2011 15"MBP (2.5 quad, 8gb ram - half of which is dedicated to virtual machine) for the sole purpose or swtor. everything seems to be working fine except for in swtor, where the mouse cursor's horizontal sync is way off. vertical sync seems to be fine. Not sure how to describe it technically, but in order to click on something 2/3 of the way across the screen (moving left to right), i have to move the visible cursor ALL the way to the right side of the screen. Things on the right third of the screen can't be clicked on because of this - hence I can't change the swtor video settings via the internal interface. I tried messing with some of the resolution settings in the swtor settings.ini file, but didn't get any improvement. There seem to be multiple settings for horiz and vert resolution in there anyway and i'm not sure which ones to tweak.

Tried turning off the smart mouse option (in fullscreen and otherwise) which seems to make the mouse disappear from the fullscreen swtor client entirely. (when I then quit swtor, the mouse is on the fulscreen windows desktop functioning fine) Using a cyborg Rat-5 mouse, with the cyborg client installed on OSX only, if that makes a difference.

I haven't ever seen that problem... the main problem with SmartMouse comes when you try to Right click in game and move the camera for direction control... it'll spin and go up and down all over the place. To make the mouse visible with SmartMouse disabled in the game... you have to set the game to the "Fullscreen (windowed)" option. The first time I ran it this way it was very sluggish... i tried a few things... quit the game... started the game again, and then it was fine. Have you checked if it works ok if your mouse is not plugged in? Have you tried capturing that mouse into Parallels just for Windows?

bcburrows
Jan 9, 2012, 09:18 AM
What mouse are people using? I have a magic mouse- that I assume will be just pointless for this game - guess a standard 2/3 button windows mouse is all that is needed?

Huntn
Jan 9, 2012, 03:38 PM
What mouse are people using? I have a magic mouse- that I assume will be just pointless for this game - guess a standard 2/3 button windows mouse is all that is needed?

When I was playing I used a Razr Naga, 14 or so buttons...handy.

DustinT
Jan 9, 2012, 04:03 PM
Razer Diamondback here. It's about 5-6 years old and just a fantastic mouse.

Alaerian
Jan 9, 2012, 04:57 PM
Razer Lachesis. Wouldn't use anything else.

aznguyen316
Jan 9, 2012, 05:45 PM

Yeah a standard 3 button mouse, left right, middle + scroll works fine. I have a couple thumb buttons just to pull up the map/quests easier but not necessary. Everything else just map to the keyboard + modifiers.

I used to have a Naga too, and as goofy as it looks or sounds, it's extremely helpful in MMOs. Less time worrying about what modifier combinations to use (shift/control/alt + 12345) and have more buttons on both keyboard side and mouse side.

Dekard
Jan 9, 2012, 07:31 PM
Anyone having issues with the tilde key ~ bringing up a new customer support ticket? I can't find a way even in the UI keybindings for it to be mapped to that key, let alone try to remap it to something else.

Alaerian
Jan 9, 2012, 07:52 PM
I have my tilde key bound to another slot, so I've never seen this before. >.<

doh123
Jan 9, 2012, 11:10 PM
Anyone having issues with the tilde key ~ bringing up a new customer support ticket? I can't find a way even in the UI keybindings for it to be mapped to that key, let alone try to remap it to something else.

no... Backslash does that for me no matter what you try to set it to... but tilde key works fine.. I actually put my walk/run toggle on it since I enjoy RPing, and walking is helpful at times.

Dekard
Jan 10, 2012, 08:17 AM
no... Backslash does that for me no matter what you try to set it to... but tilde key works fine.. I actually put my walk/run toggle on it since I enjoy RPing, and walking is helpful at times.

Yeah it's weird, not seeing it anywhere else, the keyboard on the mac, a apple keyboard, and a regular keyboard all of them..

whenever I hit ` it automatically brings up a new ticket and I have to keep canceling out and it stinks to hit it on accident in combat. :)

Tried remapping it as well and it still does it and doesn't take the new mapping. So I'm stumped. It makes no sense. Win7 64bit 16gb of ram

AppleMacFinder
Jan 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
You could use a virtual machine, and run Mac OS X and Windows simultaneously.

I have conducted the benchmark for Parallels Desktop 7, and the virtual machine (Windows 7) was just 5% slower than bootcamp!
The only downside is that you would have to upgrade to 8GB RAM, because Macbook Pro has 4GB out of the box
and virtual machine will eat half of RAM.
Or change the habits and shutdown other applications both at OS X and virtual machine before gaming.

natejohnstone@g
Jan 13, 2012, 03:15 AM
I have an early 2009 17" MBP. Do you guys think I'll be able to play TOR allright via BootCamped Windows 7 Pro?

2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
4 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
OSX 10.5.8

gabbyrozow
Jan 17, 2012, 02:23 AM
I have the current 13" MacBook Pro:

Processor: 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz
Hard Drive: 500GB 5400-rpm1
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Will I be able to play the game at all?

Will it be playable using Parallels or should I use BootCamp?

Thanks,

DustinT
Jan 17, 2012, 06:55 AM
I have an early 2009 17" MBP. Do you guys think I'll be able to play TOR allright via BootCamped Windows 7 Pro?

2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
4 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
OSX 10.5.8I think Bootcamp would be fine, but you'll definitely have to lower the settings to the min.

I have the current 13" MacBook Pro:

Processor: 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz
Hard Drive: 500GB 5400-rpm1
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Will I be able to play the game at all?

Will it be playable using Parallels or should I use BootCamp?

Thanks,Bootcamp should be fine.

StandardGinge
Jan 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
i have a macbook pro which is a late 2010 one and will i be able to play swtor with it? the graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory but what else do i need and is that graphics card good enough?

Lame duck
Jan 20, 2012, 07:17 AM
I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit (genuine via technet subscription) with a Windows experience score of 5.9 (lowest) but "3D Gaming Business Graphics' score of 6.0 out of a max 7.9.

It's running via VMWare fusion 4.x on an early 2011 MBP 15" 2.2 i7 with 8Gb/256Gb SSD and the ATI 6750.

How well is TOR likely to run under fusion? It's a clean install, patched, with very little else running (I use other VMs for work & other projects).

Ta...

doh123
Jan 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit (genuine via technet subscription) with a Windows experience score of 5.9 (lowest) but "3D Gaming Business Graphics' score of 6.0 out of a max 7.9.

It's running via VMWare fusion 4.x on an early 2011 MBP 15" 2.2 i7 with 8Gb/256Gb SSD and the ATI 6750.

How well is TOR likely to run under fusion? It's a clean install, patched, with very little else running (I use other VMs for work & other projects).

Ta...

from what I've heard... it doesn't run well at all.

Fitst, the Windows experience scores are next to useless when it comes to gaming. ... second, While it does run good with Parallels, VMWare is still not close to Parallels 7 in gaming graphics compatibility or speed. If you really want to game in a VM, you need Parallels 7.

Lame duck
Jan 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
from what I've heard... it doesn't run well at all.

Fitst, the Windows experience scores are next to useless when it comes to gaming. ... second, While it does run good with Parallels, VMWare is still not close to Parallels 7 in gaming graphics compatibility or speed. If you really want to game in a VM, you need Parallels 7.

ok, thanks

Sandman1969
Jan 20, 2012, 02:52 PM
ok, thanks

If you have a key for VMWARE I think 2.0 or greater, you can get Parallels 7.0 for $39.99!

That is what I did.

Haven't used it for games yet, but that is the plan, when I get some spare time.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/vmwareoffer/

Beezzy
Jan 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have a 15" 2.4 i7 with the HD6770 1GB VRAM. I wanna load windows on it so I can play Old Republic. Two Questions.

1. How much how my HDD should I dedicate to windows 7? I have 634 GB of free space left.

2. What kind of settings can I run the game at to run smoothly?

Alaerian
Jan 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
I partitioned off 120GB for Windows. That's an ample amount of space for Windows, SWTOR, and other random programs.

Pyromonkey83
Jan 24, 2012, 09:08 PM

I found a workaround for your (and also was my) problem. The problem is the way parallels configures the keyboard.

SOLUTION:

1. Go into the Start Menu
2. Click Devices and Printers
3. Right Click on the Keyboard (likely called "Virtual Keyboard") and select "Region and Language".
4. In the "Keyboards and Languages" tab, click the button that says "Change Keyboards"
5. Under the "General" tab, click "Add"
6. Scroll down until you find "English (United States)", click on the + sign, then click on the + sign next to keyboards and select the keyboard called "US", then click "OK".
7. At the top of the "General" tab, click on the drop down menu and set "English (United States) - US" as the default.
8. Remove ALL other keyboards EXCEPT "US" from the Installed Services list.
9. Click OK to exit, and launch SWTOR and enjoy your fully working keyboard!

NOTE: This will only work if you have a US based keyboard. If you have a UK keyboard where the backslash button is next to the z, or an italian keyboard where its totally whacked, this will not help you.

Beezzy
Jan 24, 2012, 11:58 PM
Running SWTOR on my 15" 2.4m i7 late 2011 with the HD6770 on high graphics with Boot Camp. It runs so smoothy and is very nice. Im using and arc mouse but I might return it and get a Razor Naga.

tremotrav
Jan 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Im running a macbook pro 13" 2.66 Duel Core, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB, 750GB HD. How much should I give to running SWTOR in parallels for it to run?

Dekard
Jan 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
Working great in Bootcamp, started last night to get it working in Parallels and for the most part it's 95% there, I have turned off SmartMouse and unchecked Optimize modifier keys for games and turned down the mouse speed in Windows...

But I still get crazy camera mouse, it's slowed down some with my changes but still pretty awkward... I am guessing it's a parallels issue since it doesn't happen in bootcamp..

Alaerian
Jan 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
I booted up SWTOR on in bootcamp a few days ago. Worked perfectly.

Now, I can't even get the damn launcher to load. I get the outline, and then "swtor launcher has stopped working." I've ran FixLauncher.exe, redownloaded and reinstalled the launcher, updated Windows, reinstalled C++, ran under Administrator ... I don't know what else to try. I uninstalled last night with the intention of reinstalling, but the exact same thing happened. I can't even get the launcher to load so it can be downloaded.

I'm out of things to try here.

MattA
Jan 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm playing SWTOR on my Mac Mini C2D 2.0Ghz with 9400m. I'm running WinXP 32bit on a 160GB partition. Right after launch, at 1280x800 with all pretties off, I was getting 6-10 fps. I started researching a new mac at that point.

After the latest patch, performance improved dramatically. I now run 1920x1200 with all pretties off and get 15-20fps. It's now playable. It isn't great, but it's much better than it was at launch. Perhaps the performance will improve even more as time goes on and bugs get worked out?

cyc46
Jan 26, 2012, 11:41 PM
I want to play SWTOR also but I am not willing to sink a lot of money into a PC. I love my mac and would like to run it off this. Can anyone tell me if my setup is strong enough to run SWTOR.

IMAC Intel Core I3 3.06 GHZ. 4g ram and 500 g hardrive. ATI Radeon HD4670 graphic card.

Could I run bootcamp and install windows 7 sp3 and run it?

Steelgrave
Jan 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
I want to play SWTOR also but I am not willing to sink a lot of money into a PC. I love my mac and would like to run it off this. Can anyone tell me if my setup is strong enough to run SWTOR.

IMAC Intel Core I3 3.06 GHZ. 4g ram and 500 g hardrive. ATI Radeon HD4670 graphic card.

It'll be rough. SWTOR is very CPU intensive. The memory is probably ok. You may have to crank the resolution way down though.

MattA
Jan 27, 2012, 01:07 PM

You may have to experiment with the graphics settings, but there is no reason why you couldn't play it pretty easily. I'm running it adequately on a 2009 Mac Mini. You can definitely run it on your iMac without too much trouble.

cl14
Jan 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
I'm trying to run SWTOR on my mac using boot camp. I partitioned 250 GB for Windows 7. My iMac's specs are: Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. My total memory is 1TB. I assumed that this was enough to run SWTOR and bought the game. Now when I try and run it, it gives me an error message saying the game is incompatible with my computer. On the windows side, it says my video card memory is 16MB and the rating for gaming is the lowest at 1.0. Any ideas on how to fix this?

doh123
Jan 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm trying to run SWTOR on my mac using boot camp. I partitioned 250 GB for Windows 7. My iMac's specs are: Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. My total memory is 1TB. I assumed that this was enough to run SWTOR and bought the game. Now when I try and run it, it gives me an error message saying the game is incompatible with my computer. On the windows side, it says my video card memory is 16MB and the rating for gaming is the lowest at 1.0. Any ideas on how to fix this?

your machine can run it fine in Windows. Not sure what you mean with "incompatible" unless you were trying to use it in OSX.. its a Windows only program.

What is probably wrong with your Windows install in Bootcamp is that you never installed your graphics drivers, so its using default barely functional graphics capabilities. Make sure you've installed Apple's Bootcamp software pack, and also updated your graphics drivers.

cl14
Jan 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
your machine can run it fine in Windows. Not sure what you mean with "incompatible" unless you were trying to use it in OSX.. its a Windows only program.

What is probably wrong with your Windows install in Bootcamp is that you never installed your graphics drivers, so its using default barely functional graphics capabilities. Make sure you've installed Apple's Bootcamp software pack, and also updated your graphics drivers.

If I download the Bootcamp software pack, will the problem sort itself out, or do I have to re-install Windows?

doh123
Jan 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
If I download the Bootcamp software pack, will the problem sort itself out, or do I have to re-install Windows?

you just need to install the software pack for all the drivers... then for the best graphics performance, I'd suggest updating the Graphics drivers separately.

coco5150
Jan 30, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm sorry if this has been adressed...

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.26 Intel Core Duo, NVidia Geoforce 256MB card, 8 GB or Ram, and a 110 GB partition with bootcamp. I've loaded up Windows 7, and have updated all the video drivers.

So...Bought the game and when I start it, it gets stuck updating the launcher. I've looked on other forums and have done the following:
1) changed the language
2) Paused the download and re-started it
3) Re-installed the whole thing
4) run the Launcher fix software

None of this works!

Any thoughts? Going crazy here...thanks

Huntn
Jan 30, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry if this has been adressed...

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.26 Intel Core Duo, NVidia Geoforce 256MB card, 8 GB or Ram, and a 110 GB partition with bootcamp. I've loaded up Windows 7, and have updated all the video drivers.

So...Bought the game and when I start it, it gets stuck updating the launcher. I've looked on other forums and have done the following:
1) changed the language
2) Paused the download and re-started it
3) Re-installed the whole thing
4) run the Launcher fix software

None of this works!

Any thoughts? Going crazy here...thanks

Try it a couple of times. When I was playing SWTOR, I saw what appeared to be the launcher update hanging. I've also seen when downloading an update hangs. I've found that pausing/restarting the update or even quitting out of game and restarting helped.

joshkosco
Feb 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
I have a macbook pro mid 2009

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

i was wondering if i would be able to play SWTOR in bootcamp. i have windows 7 64 bit and want to upgrade 4GB or 6GB. any help would be greatly appreciated! if fps would be bad, is there anything i could do to improve it. im not tech savvy but can follow your directions. i remember reading that GeForce 9400M might be a problem... again i thank you all for your help!

Ellis13
Feb 23, 2012, 01:00 AM
http://www.***************/avatar1.jpgIt will not run natively under OS X so no sale

happyslayer
Feb 23, 2012, 01:35 AM
I have SWTOR installed on my 2011 MacBook Air - i7 256GB SSD version. I have a Win7 64bit pro bootcamp partition - 60GB. SWTOR plays okay with graphics on minimum settings. The Air does get pretty warm and the fans run at 6000 rpm continuously. However, I have played it for a couple hours straight with no real issues. I also use an external mouse when I play... the track pad is just NOT good for games like this.

Admittedly, I normally paly on a pretty souped up PC on a 26" monitor, but when I travel and need my Jedi fix, the Air does a good enough job!

MattA
Mar 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
One of the changes in the latest patch allowed textures to be turned down to 'very low' instead of low or high. Knocking this setting down to 'very low' allowed my mini (early 2009, 9400m) to run the game at 1920x1200 at 30-40 fps. It's finally smooth.

The suck thing is, they patched it right after I ordered my 2011 mini w/6630m. Figures.

Ryanglen
Mar 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
I was wondering iff it could run on My MBA

1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Windows 7 Professinol
NVIDIA GeForce 320M

Just wanting to know iff i could be able to run SWTOR aleast on low

VonWulf
Mar 14, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hey guys

Here is a wrapper, that is currently in testing, works quite well...

http://portingteam.com/index.php/files/file/7187-star-wars-the-old-republic/#comment_25744

Try it out best of luck!

Shaitang
Mar 15, 2012, 04:18 PM
I run SWTOR smoothly at 1920x1200 with low graphic settings on my 2007 24" iMac. I'm using Bootcamp with XP Pro.

I have a problem with the graphics though.
Looks like I am playing a widescreen movie on an old 4/3 TV. The characters look flatty.
I've tried different resolution with no success ranging from 1280*1024 to 1440*1050.

There is no way I can find a ATI 2600HD driver better than the 2009 one I have.

Anyone has a clue for this?

btw: I' m running LOTRO and Lineage 2 no problem at 1920x1200.

Thx ya all

haravikk
Mar 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
Bootcamp is definitely the way to go for maximum speed and compatibility. However, I recently tried Star Trek Online using a Wineskin wrapper which uses the open source WINE software, and it runs really well.

Instead of emulating a machine that Windows can run upon, WINE instead provides implementations for the various Windows APIs that .exe files use. This means that it can be faster than emulation, though there is still a definite performance trade-off (not much though), and it's not going to run everything.

However, using Wineskin it can be very easy to package a Windows program in a manner similar to a Mac app, so it can be a very convenient way to run Windows programs without Bootcamp.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a go at least.

doh123
Mar 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
Instead of emulating a machine that Windows can run upon, WINE instead provides implementations for the various Windows APIs that .exe files use. This means that it can be faster than emulation, though there is still a definite performance trade-off (not much though), and it's not going to run everything.

its still not running SWTOR well, even with the experimental patches. STO does run decently enough. The experimental patches for SWTOR do fix some of the networking issues, but it doesn't fix them properly enough and causes other issues, mainly with speed. Its just going to be more time before anything Wine based is viable... until someone figures out all the issues and gets them fixed.

Most of the performance loss comes from Direct3D games having to be handled in OpenGL on the fly... that extra translation layer can slow down graphics a minor amount.. up to being quite a bit, depending on the game.

Huntn
Mar 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
Nothing seems worse than trying to use Windows then add all these other issues and being frustrated while playing your game. Or being worried that each new patch will break your implementation of a game. If you are going to play Windows games, the Bootcamp route seems to be the least painful, most satisfying method. :)

doh123
Mar 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
Nothing seems worse than trying to use Windows then add all these other issues and being frustrated while playing your game. Or being worried that each new patch will break your implementation of a game. If you are going to play Windows games, the Bootcamp route seems to be the least painful, most satisfying method. :)

depending on the user... yes, it can be the easiest. I have tons of games i run through Wineskin, and its super easy for me, but I'm not a normal user. Its less of a headache for people wanting to play single player offline games though since you aren't forced to update, and other people like over at portingteam.com or paulthetall.com have already done the hard work for you on getting specific games working.

haravikk
Mar 20, 2012, 05:45 AM
Most of the performance loss comes from Direct3D games having to be handled in OpenGL on the fly... that extra translation layer can slow down graphics a minor amount.. up to being quite a bit, depending on the game.
That's an issue that also affects emulation (VMWare Fusion and Parallels) as well though surely? In my experience WINE apps, especially games, perform better than Fusion or Parallels, usually run better as well.

Of course that's all dependent on there being no weird bugs, so it's a shame to hear that SWTOR won't run well in WINE yet, as it's by far my preferred method of running games :)

doh123
Mar 21, 2012, 05:37 AM
That's an issue that also affects emulation (VMWare Fusion and Parallels) as well though surely? In my experience WINE apps, especially games, perform better than Fusion or Parallels, usually run better as well.

Of course that's all dependent on there being no weird bugs, so it's a shame to hear that SWTOR won't run well in WINE yet, as it's by far my preferred method of running games :)

VMWare and Parallels both use Wine code for Direct3D->OpenGL too, so yes they are affected. They also have the overhead of emulating an entire computer and running a whole other OS. They have less compatibility problems but a much bigger performance hit.

ryanevans1
Mar 22, 2012, 06:10 AM
I have IMAC Intel Core I3 3.06 GHZ. 4g ram and 500 g hardrive. ATI Radeon HD4670 graphic card. And I am playing SWTOR, ofcourse you know because of the bad engine its not as flawless as it should but still its fine for Mac.

Random14
Mar 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
I have a 2010 i7 iMac with 4GB (although probably going to increase that to 8GB or 12GB soon) and an HD 5750. I've been playing SWTOR in bootcamp since launch and its been running fine but thinking of trying it out in a VM soon.

From glancing through the topic, sounds like Parallels should work (I don't mind trying the VM for a few other older games and I think the Wine skin needs to be changed with each TOR update? Probably misread something somewhere, as I haven't looked into it that much since I'm aiming for a VM anyway).

I've been trying to read through the manuals, but just curious if I should have Parallels run Windows from the Boot Camp partition or import it into Parallels? I was thinking of importing, keeping the Parallels version separate from Bootcamp just in case, but then how much space would that require? I still have space on my hard drive, but not quite enough for another partition the same size as my current Bootcamp partition (though I could just delete some stuff or move old stuff to an external HD). Also how many cores (or CPU power) would Windows 7 and SWTOR require? I think my i7 is a quadcore, although it might count as eight cores with four real and four virtual cores so not sure how much would be allocated (I would probably try not to have too many mac applications running at the same time anyway). I think Paralllels' site offers a free trial so I'll try that out soon but just reading up first.

Aneix
Mar 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
Just want to know before I buy if i can run SWTOR on my mac. its mid 2008 and specs are

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRRAM
ATI HD Radeon 2600 256 MB vram

if not please cn anyone advise whats need to improve

MattA
Mar 27, 2012, 02:54 PM
by the way, just to report:

The 2011 Mac Mini with i7/2.7Ghz, 4GB memory, 6630M, 750GB HDD, etc plays SWTOR at 1920x1200 with everything on full except shadows. Shadows have to be turned to low, but once that is done, it plays perfectly through bootcamp and Windows7 64-bit.

Just FYI in case anyone needed to know.

----------

Just want to know before I buy if i can run SWTOR on my mac. its mid 2008 and specs are

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRRAM

Yes, you should be able to play it, though I would upgrade your memory to 4GB. The cost of the upgrade will be minimal. Just install windows using bootcamp, upgrade to the latest video driver for your video card, and you should be good to go.

The 2600 is more powerful than the 9400M I was playing on, and with everything turned to low or very low I was able to play fairly well at 1920x1200 which is the same resolution as your iMac.

Varigon
Mar 27, 2012, 04:43 PM

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRRAM

I have a 2008 iMac with a slower 2.66GHz C2D processor, but I have 4GB RAM in mine. I haven't played much but it runs OK at very low settings at native resolution. I'm running the game in Windows 7 using boot camp.

shortychamp
Apr 24, 2012, 04:31 AM
2.4GHz MacBook Pro
(MC374LL/A) 2.66GHz MacBook Pro
(MC375LL/A)
Enclosure Precision aluminum unibody
Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 cache 3MB shared
System bus 1066MHz
Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 8GB
Hard drive6 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm 320GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory5
Video iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI (requires adapters, sold separately)
Display 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
Expansion One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps), two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), SD card slot
Audio Stereo speakers with subwoofers, omnidirectional microphone, combined headphone/line in (supports digital output)

I would like to know how good old republic will run with my laptop and what settings i need to set to get the best rsults thanks

MJedi
May 14, 2012, 04:25 PM
So my friends are asking me to join them in SWTOR. I have the following 3 Macs, and wondering which one is the best to use.

- MacBook Pro (Mid-2007) C2D 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM.

- iMac (Early 2009) C2D 2.66GHz with 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

- MacBook Air (Mid-2011) Core i5 with 4GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Reading this thread, it seems the best way is to use BootCamp.

Thanks.

doh123
May 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
So my friends are asking me to join them in SWTOR. I have the following 3 Macs, and wondering which one is the best to use.

- MacBook Pro (Mid-2007) C2D 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM.

- iMac (Early 2009) C2D 2.66GHz with 8GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

- MacBook Air (Mid-2011) Core i5 with 4GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Reading this thread, it seems the best way is to use BootCamp.

Thanks.

while theoretically the 8600M is the fastest performing GPU there... being that those models have seriously bad problems of dying, i wouldn't game on it. The Geforce 9400 is a bit too slow. The Intel HD 3000 will run it better.

MJedi
May 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
while theoretically the 8600M is the fastest performing GPU there... being that those models have seriously bad problems of dying, i wouldn't game on it. The Geforce 9400 is a bit too slow. The Intel HD 3000 will run it better.
I had my 2007 MacBook Pro checked at the Genius Bar, where they ran that GPU test, and it came out fine. I'm hoping that since it has not failed in the last 5 years, it is not part of that bad batch of GPU's.

So assuming the MacBook Pro is good, you think it is the best one to run the game? Is performanance more dependent on the CPU or the GPU?

Thanks for your reply.

doh123
May 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
I had my 2007 MacBook Pro checked at the Genius Bar, where they ran that GPU test, and it came out fine. I'm hoping that since it has not failed in the last 5 years, it is not part of that bad batch of GPU's.

So assuming the MacBook Pro is good, you think it is the best one to run the game? Is performanance more dependent on the CPU or the GPU?

Thanks for your reply.

you'll just have to play with the settings... SWTOR seems to be heavy on the CPU, but the GPU is important as well.

and all 8600M GPUs are bad, no matter what Apple tells you, or what "tests" they run. They are ticking time bombs.

I had one run for four years... I had one run for a year... I had Apple replace them with the "fixed" versions that have also died later as well, and I know several other people who have ones that went bad that were supposed to good, or had been replaced already. I wouldn't trust it even if its lasted 5 years now.

MJedi
May 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
So I decided to use the MacBook Air 13-inch and use Windows 7 64-bit through Boot Camp. I was able to try the game over the weekend, through their Weekend Pass Free Trial. I was able to play pretty well with Low settings, at the MBA's native resolution (1440 x 900). I even tried to raise some graphic settings like texture and render, and it still played fine. The FPS was between 22-25. Just don't enable vsync or AA.

I was playing on an RP server, and wasn't able to try the PVE or PVP servers, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

It looks like I might just get this game.

SWTORonMBA
Jul 25, 2012, 01:53 PM

Hey I tried seeing if I could PM about this, but apparently I can't. So I sent you a friend request...

Anyways, it seems you and I have the same macbook air. The 13 default. 128 gb, hd3000?

I am a noob when it comes to running bootcamp and it seems what you did is the best way to maximize performance on SWTOR. Right now, I'm running parallels and I get about 20 FPS on average, in war zones I get a crawling 0-10 FPS.

I want to run bootcamp and partition my hard drive. What do I need for my macbook air to do this? When I run boot camp assistant it says I need a USB flash drive...

Also, I was wondering what FPS are you getting on your boot camp partition?

Sith Vol
Jul 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
Hey I tried seeing if I could PM about this, but apparently I can't. So I sent you a friend request...

Anyways, it seems you and I have the same macbook air. The 13 default. 128 gb, hd3000?

I am a noob when it comes to running bootcamp and it seems what you did is the best way to maximize performance on SWTOR. Right now, I'm running parallels and I get about 20 FPS on average, in war zones I get a crawling 0-10 FPS.

I want to run bootcamp and partition my hard drive. What do I need for my macbook air to do this? When I run boot camp assistant it says I need a USB flash drive...

Also, I was wondering what FPS are you getting on your boot camp partition?

Sorry my reply was so late. Just now noticed it.

Honestly, I have no idea what the FPS got. I haven't played the game in months. I do know that it ran pretty smoothly. All I did was partition 50gb to Windows 7. I had no other programs installed on the "boot camp'd" Win 7. Installed SWTOR. I believe I had the graphics set to medium. I think the highest setting made it a little laggy.

I stopped playing it on the Air though because I was afraid the computer would overheat.

anderssewerin
Aug 12, 2012, 07:17 AM
EDIT: Here's the drivers I was missing, and they totally solved the issue:

http://www.techpowerup.com/155538/AMD-Rolls-Out-Catalyst-11.11a-Performance-Driver.html

END OF EDIT

Hi,

My kid want to play SW:TOR on our 27" iMac under Bootcamp. It installs, but the 3D objects are all stretched, and look ridiculous.

I have tried the tips from this thread:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=530443

No joy.

I can install the newer ATI Bootcamp drivers, but the link for the Catalyst 11.11a performance driver is dead, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Any ideas?

iHailCarlo
Aug 17, 2012, 08:08 PM
All this windows and bootcamp stuff is cool. but i freaking hate windows and cant ever use it in my house again, i am forced to at work though. My question is when is this game coming natively to OS X??????

princealfie
Aug 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
Nice, hoping to pick up a MBP 13" with Nvidia 9400m graphics card so hopefully it will work decently.

neurophysicist
Nov 22, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hello,

Sorry if this was already addressed in previous posts, but I was wondering how people found performance to be since TOR came out.

I have an early 2011 MBP, quad core 2.2 (6750 HD) and 8 GB 1600 MHZ.

I use Windows 7 via Parallels occasionally for some apps for school and I was wondering how much difference people noticed in performance between Parallels and Bootcamp. I'd prefer not to install Windows natively, and I don't mind having graphics settings down when playing the game if I stick to Parallels. Thanks for the help.

luffytubby
Nov 23, 2012, 07:41 AM
Hello,

Sorry if this was already addressed in previous posts, but I was wondering how people found performance to be since TOR came out.

I have an early 2011 MBP, quad core 2.2 (6750 HD) and 8 GB 1600 MHZ.

I use Windows 7 via Parallels occasionally for some apps for school and I was wondering how much difference people noticed in performance between Parallels and Bootcamp. I'd prefer not to install Windows natively, and I don't mind having graphics settings down when playing the game if I stick to Parallels. Thanks for the help.

The performance cost is too extreme. Not to mention all sorts of glitches and hang ups that exist in lots of parallels apps. Don't do it. Go natively and you will see.

Huntn
Nov 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
The performance cost is too extreme. Not to mention all sorts of glitches and hang ups that exist in lots of parallels apps. Don't do it. Go natively and you will see.

Agreed especially for MMOs- Bootcamp/Windows is the only consistently viable performance option.

elephant
Feb 17, 2013, 03:02 AM
Just wanted to give some hope for those who want to use Parallels:

Installed SWTOR yesterday in Windows 8 through Parallels 8 Desktop, and although I was skeptical at first, I can run the game in 2560x1440 fullscreen on my mid-2011 iMac 27" (2.7GHz i5, 12GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB) with very high framerates.

Granted, I can't run it on highest graphic settings, but it's not on the lowest either. MOst is on low, character texture is on high and shader is on low to give it more depth. Works perfectly.

Only problem is that even though I've increased mouse speed to maximum in Windows, it's still feels a bit like syrup. Any tips on how to increase mouse tracker speed above Windows' scale?

MGregory666
Apr 29, 2013, 03:36 PM
Sorry to restart an old thread but has any one come across any news of a native port for SW: TOR? The last I heard was back in January 2012 when the good Dr's were still at Bioware and they stated that a native OS X port was something they were wanting to do. Obviously since then Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have left and its not been mentioned since.

So has anyone read or heard anything to the contrey? I play the game and love it on my Boot Camp partition but a native port is something I have always wanted. I mean all other MMORPG's do it. It's part of the reason why WoW has been so successful over the years as their Mac user base is huge. :apple:

TedM
Apr 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
I absolutely grew to hate this game with a passion just by playing it and listening to Bioware devs.

Nightarchaon
Apr 30, 2013, 02:44 PM
and all 8600M GPUs are bad, no matter what Apple tells you, or what "tests" they run. They are ticking time bombs.

unless you get it replaced, the replacements HAD to use proper solder on the joints , not the shoddy stuff that cracked and disintegrated under heat load over time.

But yes, if its an original shipping 8600, its going to die eventually, i ran my macbook pro 24/7 under PCMARK in bootcamp until it died and got apple to replace the logicboard under the extended warranty, its now sound and running strong.

----------

I absolutely grew to hate this game with a passion just by playing it and listening to Bioware devs.

I loved the game, right up until it went free to play, and they started spamming everything with the store...that and the horrible horrible trolls and "gold" farmers that all flocked in once the paywall dropped.

Not since the Starwars Galaxies NGE upgrade has a game been so royally fubared

MGregory666
May 2, 2013, 11:10 AM
Just a little something I put together on this subject http://www.macgamerhq.com/opinion/star-wars-the-old-republic-for-mac-where-is-it/

luffytubby
May 3, 2013, 05:39 PM
I loved the game, right up until it went free to play, and they started spamming everything with the store...that and the horrible horrible trolls and "gold" farmers that all flocked in once the paywall dropped.

Not since the Starwars Galaxies NGE upgrade has a game been so royally fubared

I loved old school SWG, but I disagree. I think SWTOR is a much better game now as a F2P title. It never felt like a real MMO. It works a lot better this way. As a Co-Op story action RPG. Thats the strength. Thats the fun bit, and what makes it stand out. It never was and never can be a real MMO.