PDA

View Full Version : broken screen on an MBA, how to see the installer on an external monitor?

j00d
Dec 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hello,

I have a MBA with a broken hinge and a broken screen connected to an external monitor through minidisplay port + VGA cable. I'd like to wipe out this MBA and install 10.6 off a USB flash drive.

I was able to get past the boot device screen by blindly hitting the right arrow key and then hitting RETURN. That booted off the USB flash drive (loaded with 10.6.3) into the installer wizard. On the external screen I see an extended desktop, and not the main installer wizard. The keyboard commands to mirror displays (i.e. "fn + F7" and "cmd + F1") didn't work.

I also tried booting up with the external screen unplugged and then plugging in after the USB drive booted up the language choice screen in the installer but that didn't work either.

Also it's my understanding that Target Disk Mode isn't supported for the MBA, is this true?

Thanks for any help,

John

sporadicMotion
Dec 2, 2011, 10:21 AM
Connect a USB key board, power and and external display. If you are able to shut the lid then do so. Wake the machine using the external keyboard. External is now the primary display. If you can't close the lid, use a weak magnet to simulate closing the lid.

j00d
Dec 2, 2011, 11:06 AM
Connect a USB key board, power and and external display. If you are able to shut the lid then do so. Wake the machine using the external keyboard. External is now the primary display. If you can't close the lid, use a weak magnet to simulate closing the lid.

Thanks but the MBA only has one USB port, how would I be able to boot off my USB flash drive and also have a KB plugged into the MBA?

johnhurley
Dec 2, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks but the MBA only has one USB port, how would I be able to boot off my USB flash drive and also have a KB plugged into the MBA?

USB hub that gives you multiple USB connections from the one out of your machine.