Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I'm wondering if my CPU temps and battery life normal. I'm just doing average web browsing few tabs open, music playing, IM app running. My CPU temps are usually between 55-65C when doing this. Is that normal? My battery life seems a little low though I just got it so I don't know if it gets better after a couple cycles? I got maybe around 4.5-5 hours doing basic stuff like this.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I'm wondering if my CPU temps and battery life normal. I'm just doing average web browsing few tabs open, music playing, IM app running. My CPU temps are usually between 55-65C when doing this. Is that normal? My battery life seems a little low though I just got it so I don't know if it gets better after a couple cycles? I got maybe around 4.5-5 hours doing basic stuff like this.

It seems fine. Doing regular stuff I do get about 5 hours on the battery, doing light tasks with only text processing gives me roughly 7 hours.

Only browsing, my cpu stays on 40°C, but when there is flash involved and iTunes and IMs running i get the same temps as you do.

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Only browsing, my cpu stays on 40°C.

I find that hard to believe. Unless we have a different definition of browsing. I can open a website and not touch anything, yes the temps will fall to 40C after a bit. But actual scrolling and navigating through websites it's more like 50C+ (especially after browsing for a few minutes). Hell, just moving the cursor adds about 5C.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I find that hard to believe. Unless we have a different definition of browsing. I can open a website and not touch anything, yes the temps will fall to 40C after a bit. But actual scrolling and navigating through websites it's more like 50C+ (especially after browsing for a few minutes). Hell, just moving the cursor adds about 5C.

Yeah this about what I'm experiencing. Right now I'm at 53C with just one Safari page open and typing this message. I played a video on youtube before and I was around 70C. I guess these are fairly normal temps for these machines.

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
I hover around 60-65 just browsing the internet some times it does seem to get alarmingly high, last night it hit 85 but elevating the back reduced it dramatically.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
I hover around 50C (+/- 3C) when web browsing. Considering the size of the MBA, you can't expect it to have a cooling system on par with something like a desktop replacement. Still I can watch HD movies and not have it excessively hot, and the fans aren't too bad considering the whole package.

My battery life for browsing and listening to iTunes in the background if I have the backlight off and screen dimmed to around 30-40% gives me around 6 hours or so. Taking into consideration the laptops I've (for lack of a better term) upgraded from, I can't complain in the least.

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
I hover around 50C (+/- 3C) when web browsing. Considering the size of the MBA, you can't expect it to have a cooling system on par with something like a desktop replacement. Still I can watch HD movies and not have it excessively hot, and the fans aren't too bad considering the whole package.

My battery life for browsing and listening to iTunes in the background if I have the backlight off and screen dimmed to around 30-40% gives me around 6 hours or so. Taking into consideration the laptops I've (for lack of a better term) upgraded from, I can't complain in the least.

Agreed i'm really impressed with the Air it's a brilliant machine i'm just gonna turn the iStats thermal monitoring off so it stops bugging me.
41638756.jpg

Last edited:

warfed

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Agreed i'm really impressed with the Air it's a brilliant machine i'm just gonna turn the iStats thermal monitoring off so it stops bugging me.

Haha true. When I have smcfancontrol on it "feels" warmer. Overall it feels much cooler when I don't know what temp it is :D

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
I'm buying an i5 11" (1.6 .. 2.3 GHz) while waiting for the Ivy Bridge line-up, can anyone comment on how that one compares to the i5 13" (1.7 .. 2.7 GHz), temperature- and battery life-wise?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I'm buying an i5 11" (1.6 .. 2.3 GHz) while waiting for the Ivy Bridge line-up, can anyone comment on how that one compares to the i5 13" (1.7 .. 2.7 GHz), temperature- and battery life-wise?

Smaller battery, the 13 inch has "up to 7 hrs" and the 11 inch has "up to 5 hrs" according to apple.

To the others here about temps, my MBA is definitely cooler than yours.
While typing this post my MBA is 36°C (only one tab open in safari)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.