Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I'm about to do this for the first time, and I'm a bit nervous. I'm trying to figure out what the best compression setting to use would be, etc., as the server is connected to a single T-1 line and it's not going to support a ton of users. I'm wondering how this is going to turn out. Anyone else have experience doing this?

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I think you're going to need something more advanced than QSS...
AFAIK, QSS is for streaming a file that's already been recorded (similar to watching a Keynote event after the fact)

If you want something live, you're in a more interesting situation that I know nothing about...
I'd say give QSS a shot and do a little closed test to see if it does what you want and report back to us.

good luck
reality

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
realityisterror said:
I think you're going to need something more advanced than QSS...
AFAIK, QSS is for streaming a file that's already been recorded (similar to watching a Keynote event after the fact)

If you want something live, you're in a more interesting situation that I know nothing about...
I'd say give QSS a shot and do a little closed test to see if it does what you want and report back to us.

good luck
reality

Nope, QTSS includes the ability to broadcast a live event. OS X Server includes it:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/quicktimestreaming.html

I've already tried it, and I know it works; I'm just concerned about how it's going to work when 20+ people connect to it. That's why I'm wondering if anyone else here has had experience doing this!!

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I'd just record the event... then go back in later and add a "LIVE" banner on it... allow people to download it and simply say it was broadcasted live at some point in the past. They just happened to have missed it.

;)

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
cr2sh said:
I'd just record the event... then go back in later and add a "LIVE" banner on it... allow people to download it and simply say it was broadcasted live at some point in the past. They just happened to have missed it.

;)
That'd be great, but we already announced that we'd be doing it live. :)

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Wow this thread is three years old...

Well judging from what I can remember, it went pretty well?! Yes we bought a server; I don't remember how much it was, it was quite some time ago (it's a dual processor G5).

We've since upgraded our T-1 to a 5Mbit connection, and it seems like there's always a few users who have trouble connecting, but that's no surprise. After the events are over, we usually do post a Flash version of the movie that people can watch whenever.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
ah ya didn't notice it was 3 years old. I just did a search for 'streaming' since i'm planning on doing the same kind of thing soon. Problem is I do not have $7000 for a server. I'm told I can use my second computer for my server running Darwin (top of the line macbook pro), but I don't know how to do this yet....or even if its possible. I would be using Quicktime Broadcaster to stream it live..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.