Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
I don't mean to post in multiple forums, but there are so many here. I've got movies in iTunes ripped using Handbrake. I want to burn a DVD. What's the best way to do that. For CDs I use iTunes, but can't do that with a movie. Is there. I use an iMac with Lion, don't have any 3rd party software (other than Handbrake for ripping). Thanks.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Yes, new Macs are still shipped with iDVD on board. This is an easy way to get a rather fancy DVD with animated menus and stuff. It will do almost everything for you (encoding, demuxing, burning, ...).

However, be aware: This programm has not been updated since Apple declared the "disc" dead about 6 years ago! All themes are really old and iDVD does not get along nicely with 16:9 footage and sometimes messes up my video files. It runs on Lion, but don't be surprised if you don't get the result you would expect from the nice interface.

The above mentioned Toast is definitely an option, but not a cheap one. If you just want a movie on a DVD that you can play, without animated menus and stuff, you can simply use Burn, which is free and very simplistic and provides exactly this, not more.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
^^ I'm pretty sure Apple updated the theme database in the most recent version of iDVD '11. That being said they aren't the world's greatest but for personal use they work fine.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Actually, when I produce something for our aquaculture program, I forgo DVDSP and use the iDVD template with the fish :D

careypo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
Apple's Compressor 4 still burns DVDs. It also burns Blu-ray disks, as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.