Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
That is the coolest dang thing I've ever read. I mean really. This will be the first time we've pierced the bubble of our solar system and probably will be the only time I'm around to see such a thing too considering how long it takes to get there.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Barring hardware failure, Voyager I and II boast enough power and communications capability to keep radioing back to Earth until 2020, NASA says.
That's a lot of potential information coming back in the next 15 years. It will be interesting to see what Voyager finds out once it gets out into interstellar space. It still boggles my mind that these spacecraft are still out there after all of these years, sending information back to us. Something we created is now 8.7 billion miles from here, potentially on a path to meet up with some other life form. Wow.

Now as a grown man, I shouldn't find this comment humorous, but I succumbed to a Beavis and Butthead moment and chuckled in spite of myself:
Voyager II, which observed Uranus...
I don't think that's an appropriate use of government funding. :D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
was reading that this morning, pretty neat! Just hope it never becomes "V"ger!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
leftbanke7 said:
Does any one know about how long it takes the signals from the Voyager crafts to make it back to Earth from those distances?
I believe at 8.7 billion miles, it takes about 13 hours for the signal to get back here (speed of light = 186,000 miles per second).

At 6.5 billion miles, it's 9.7 hours.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Top 10 "V"ger facts..........Link

Item 10

Outta Here!

As of March 2002, Voyager 1 was 7.7 billion miles (12.4 billion kilometers) from the Sun. That's 84 times the distance from Earth to the Sun. It's the farthest (known) human thing, and it takes about 23 hours for a radio signal, moving at the speed of light, to make the round-trip. The craft adds more than 3 Earth-Sun distances to the separation every year as it continues to speed away.

If you calculate that out it's, well, fast.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stubeeef said:
Top 10 "V"ger facts..........Link

Item 10
For a little perspective, I believe the nearest star is 4.3 light years from Earth.

Based on the information above, V'ger travels about 1 light-hour every 2 years. That means that it will be 75336 years before V'ger could possibly make it to the next nearest star, assuming it was headed in the right direction....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm wondering if there will be any communication issues once it passes through the heliopause and what will space look like out there....

Very cool stuff - you have to wonder if we'll ever make a probe in our lifetime that will go farther. Making something faster wouldn't be that hard and using newer technologies I'm sure we could get an order of magnitude increase in speed.

D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Mr. Anderson said:
Very cool stuff - you have to wonder if we'll ever make a probe in our lifetime that will go farther. Making something faster wouldn't be that hard and using newer technologies I'm sure we could get an order of magnitude increase in speed.

As well as information gathering. I don't know if we'd ever foot the bill for it. Voyager was just 8 years after landing on the Moon. Those heady days of space exploration are gone for the moment. I'd love to see them come back, I'd even foot my portion of the bill!

I suspect it's chocolate pudding beyond the heliopause. It's just a feeling..

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
I'm wondering if there will be any communication issues once it passes through the heliopause and what will space look like out there....

I'm gonna guess it is dark and cold, probably a bit quiet too. Or chocolate pudding.

Here is an old picture of earth as Vger was saying bye bye. It was taken 14 years ago.

Attachments

• ig129_09_voyager_02.jpg
    ig129_09_voyager_02.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 61

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
yellow said:
I suspect it's chocolate pudding beyond the heliopause. It's just a feeling..

Wel they did mention that it was denser than the what we have around the solar system. But chocolate pudding might be a little much - we really wouldn't be able to see any other stars, then, would we? Maybe if it was in a crystalized vaporish form.....:D

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.