PDA

View Full Version : And I should buy a PowerBook because of what?!...

Bengt77
May 25, 2005, 12:24 PM
Not really the right place to post this in, but I'm too frustrated with Apple for this moment to go and search for a more fitting spot.

See this link (http://www.aldi.nl/OFFER_NL/OFFER_21/OFF01.HTM). It's in Dutch, but of course Altavista can translate it for you (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aldi.nl%2FOFFER_NL%2FOFFER_21%2FOFF01.HTM&lp=nl_en). Then, when you're done drooling over all the specs, check out Apple's offerings (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html). The 17" PowerBook costs 2699 against 1549 for the Medion laptop. Of course, you get a beautiful laptop for your money if you go the Apple way, but djeez! For little over half the money you get a 'good enough' (design-wise) laptop with features that make the PowerBook shrink to the miserable pile of junk it apparently is today.

See? That's why I'm a little frustrated with Apple today. :(

TreeHugger
May 25, 2005, 12:31 PM
Not really the right place to post this in, but I'm too frustrated with Apple for this moment to go and search for a more fitting spot.

See this link (http://www.aldi.nl/OFFER_NL/OFFER_21/OFF01.HTM). It's in Dutch, but of course Altavista can translate it for you (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aldi.nl%2FOFFER_NL%2FOFFER_21%2FOFF01.HTM&lp=nl_en). Then, when you're done drooling over all the specs, check out Apple's offerings (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html). The 17" PowerBook costs 2699 against 1549 for the Medion laptop. Of course, you get a beautiful laptop for your money if you go the Apple way, but djeez! For little over half the money you get a 'good enough' (design-wise) laptop with features that make the PowerBook shrink to the miserable pile of junk it apparently is today.

See? That's why I'm a little frustrated with Apple today. :(

But you don't get OS X. The medion comes with another platform which makes it an unattractive offer (for me at least, and I know my way around windows very well.)
For a windows based notebook its a great offer. But its not OS X.

yellow
May 25, 2005, 12:32 PM
But you don't get OS X.

I'll second that. I don't buy Apple because I like the hardware all that much, or I think it's particularly fast/cutting edge.

TreeHugger
May 25, 2005, 12:50 PM
I'll second that. I don't buy Apple because I like the hardware all that much, or I think it's particularly fast/cutting edge.

Well I like the hardware a lot too, and I think its pretty cutting edge! Firewire 800! Oh and by the way, the Powerbook is one inch thick, which I think a lot of PB owners take for granted. Try to find a windows portable that is 17 inches and 1 inch thick. The only ones I know of are at least a couple of inches thick, like bricks and are massive, whereas the PB is sleek, thin and elegant!

asanchezm
May 25, 2005, 12:57 PM
Join the club, there are a lot of us out there a bit disapointed at apple's current laptop offering.

Windows is awefull, but at least the machines are up to date and there are quite a few awesome laptops out there with good designs, decent if not better battery life than the apple offerings and something that has been bothering me as of late, a decent MSN Messenger program. (Yes I've tried aMsn, Mercury, Proteus, Fire and Adium)

yellow
May 25, 2005, 12:57 PM
The Sony VAIOŽ A290 NotebookVGN-A290 comes fairly close.

But I don't want to argue the merits one way or the other of my statement. IMO, the hardware (not the aesthetics of the box) are not special. The video cards are expensive and underpowered, and bus is not all that fast, and the G4/G5 clock speeds are really lagging. But the shining plus, for me, is OS X. I'd rather be using a slow-ass Mac running OS X any day, then some bleeding edge PC running XP or Longoverdue. But that is just my opinion.

xli_ne
May 25, 2005, 01:12 PM
The Sony VAIOŽ A290 NotebookVGN-A290 comes fairly close.

But I don't want to argue the merits one way or the other of my statement. IMO, the hardware (not the aesthetics of the box) are not special. The video cards are expensive and underpowered, and bus is not all that fast, and the G4/G5 clock speeds are really lagging. But the shining plus, for me, is OS X. I'd rather be using a slow-ass Mac running OS X any day, then some bleeding edge PC running XP or Longoverdue. But that is just my opinion.

Longoverdue... :D Thats the first time I have seen that. That's great

Bengt77
May 25, 2005, 01:21 PM
But the shining plus, for me, is OS X. I'd rather be using a slow-ass Mac running OS X any day, then some bleeding edge PC running XP or Longoverdue. But that is just my opinion.
Well, that's mine too, actually. It's just that the laptop offer I linked to in my first post has sooooo much more to offer hardware-wise, that it almost seems silly to buy a PowerBook just for Mac OS X.

I know, I run Tiger on an 800MHz iMac G4 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE it. Yes, I know it's more about the software than about the hardware on the Apple side of things. The weird thing is, though, that the Power Mac G5 is actually pretty darn good. And so is the iMac G5. Those computers offer some great value for decent money. And when mainly considering the cost, the iMac wins from the Power Mac hands down, of course. Why does Apple then still use the G4? Where is Freescale's next version of the G4, with actually decent FSB speeds and dual cores? Until then, any Apple computer using a G4 processor is just sad a excuse for a computer.

Again, yes, with the laptop in the link you don't get Mac OS X. You don't get iLife either. You don't get the 1" thinness. You don't get the looks from other people. But anyone owning it and knowing what Apple has to offer, will know better than to envy somebody owning a PowerBook.

andiwm2003
May 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
Well, that's mine too, actually. It's just that the laptop offer I linked to in my first post has sooooo much more to offer hardware-wise, that it almost seems silly to buy a PowerBook just for Mac OS X.

I know, I run Tiger on an 800MHz iMac G4 and ABSOLUTELY LOVE it. Yes, I know it's more about the software than about the hardware on the Apple side of things. The weird thing is, though, that the Power Mac G5 is actually pretty darn good. And so is the iMac G5. Those computers offer some great value for decent money. And when mainly considering the cost, the iMac wins from the Power Mac hands down, of course. Why does Apple then still use the G4? Where is Freescale's next version of the G4, with actually decent FSB speeds and dual cores? Until then, any Apple computer using a G4 processor is just sad a excuse for a computer.

Again, yes, with the laptop in the link you don't get Mac OS X. You don't get iLife either. You don't get the 1" thinness. You don't get the looks from other people. But anyone owning it and knowing what Apple has to offer, will know better than to envy somebody owning a PowerBook.

don't underestimate usability, which comes from both hard and software.

of course some pc notebook have better specs than my pb. but in a presentation, on the plane, in a car i found my pb more reliable and faster.

while others still don't get the access to the wifi and are already scared of setting up the beamer i'm already in the middle of a presentation and everything including presenter tools works perfect.
when in need an extra file i just open it and show it on the beamer while others wait for the program to start and then the resolution of the beamer is off.
also my screen is usually better than pc notebook screens. you need to invest $2500 to get a really good notebook. forget the theoretical specs. look what your colleagues have, what they paid, and then compare real world experiences.

my 2 cents.

andi

leekohler
May 25, 2005, 01:54 PM

Uh...excuse me? I'm confused. One second you love your iMac G4 running Tiger and the next "any Apple computer using a G4 processor is just a sad excuse for a computer"? I think you're just being grumpy. Apple has explained time and again that the G5 will not fit in it's notebook format due to heat and energy use issues. I'm sure it'll get there at some point. Until then, enjoy your "sad excuse for a computer" iMac G4. :)

cubist
May 25, 2005, 02:15 PM
In answer to the original question, I guess the answer is Mac OS X. So I'd recommend, if you must get a computer right now, get a refurb PB 12" 1.5, or else a refurb 12" iBook, both at good low prices at the online store. If you can wait, I'd suggest waiting until a little after WWDC.

nagromme
May 25, 2005, 02:24 PM
A Windows laptop is really the ONLY choice right now.

If you are running a render farm made out of laptops...

But if what a computer DOES is more important to you than GHz, I see no alternative to OS X.

And in every regard but speed, Apple laptops have outstanding hardware too. Thin, light, durable (mine has zero scratches in 18 months), lots of high-end ports, lighted keys, instant-wake, etc.... and they are the most reliable laptop brand on the planet (see Consumer Reports).

A PowerBook is the ONLY computer that meets my needs. I wish it had a G5. It doesn't yet. What it does have is a year-and-a-half-old 1.25 GHz G4 that still handles all the high-end tasks I throw at it, up to and including 3D gaming.

If I could have one of TODAY'S PowerBook G4s instead, I'd be even happier!

What percentage of people need extra speed more than they need functionality? Maybe some people do. Windows laptops are for them: the Pentium M is a nice chip.

Agathon
May 25, 2005, 02:28 PM
You get what you pay for.

It's the same as those cheap Dells. My folks bought a cheap PC at the same time I bought my old imac. The imac is still going strong and runs Panther just fine. The PC is junked.

Only a fool would run Windows these days. It is an antiquated and insecure OS with poor graphics and a poor user interface. If you want to actually get work done a powerbook is a better choice.

crees!
May 25, 2005, 02:51 PM
Get a PB... you'll get mad *****.

Bern
May 25, 2005, 02:52 PM
I don't understand why people compare Mac to Window$ :confused:

From a Mac user prospective I think it's a moot point. On my Rev D PowerBook I run Adobe CS2 and Painter IX and I'm yet to see a pc that runs them any faster or "better" despite that pc's apparent faster processor.

I know from side by side comparison my artwork colour looks a lot better and is more accurate on my screen than any pc I've viewed it on (and yes my screen is properly calibrated).

I was of the opinion that part of the reason for pc's having higher processor speeds was because it is necessary to run bloated, clunky window$ OS. Let's face it when Longhorn is eventually released to these poor unsuspecting *bleep* they'll have to upgrade their computers just to run it.

Do I want my Mac to be faster because the OS depends on it? No I don't. Do I think it could be faster so I can gloat "Tim Allen Tool Time" style about my processer speed etc? No I don't, everything I use my Mac for works just as it should.

jsw
May 25, 2005, 03:07 PM
After literally years of waiting for a major revision to the PB line sufficient to cause me to dump my 1999 Lombard (400 MHz G3), I finally gave up last night and decided to buy a 12" PB Combo to "tide me over" until decent PBs come out.

See, I'd been paying too much attention to nay-sayers in this forum and decided that the current G4 offerings weren't really all that much better than my G3 - I mean, hey, they're so underpowered and outdated, why shouldn't I just wait until Apple made a competitive laptop?

Man, was I ever wrong. Sure, I might get a new PB when the next rev comes out (I'm a developer, and I'm yearning for higher resolutions more than I want faster speeds). Yeah, spec-wise, the PBs and iBooks pale compared to Wintel versions.

I bought my PB last night at 9 PM. At 2:30 AM, I forced myself to put it down and go to sleep. I was up at 7 AM. This little bugger is just the most fun I've had in years. And I'm used to Macs. Used them since 1984. Own an iMac, the aforementioned PB, a dual-2.0 PowerMac. And I still barely slept last night because this is so cool. And this is the smallest and slowest and least-tricked out PB. I'm sure I would have been as excited about an iBook as well.

Whatever it is, the synergy between a PowerBook (or iBook) and OS X is amazing. OS X is a fantastic OS for portable computers. And, as noted numerous times in posts above, you cannot just look at the hardware - although I think the PB is beautiful. The OS and the hardware together combine in ways Windows cannot with any laptop. I have, through work, a very nice 1920x1200 resolution Dell laptop running XP. I never use it.

floyde
May 25, 2005, 04:20 PM
First of all: you don't have to buy a powerbook if you don't want to ;) .
And second, I don't see how that laptop of yours shrinks the pb to a "miserable pile of junk". Seriously, lets go over the features:
-Processor: They don't even list the Ghz (Very suspicious I would say). Ok, so the G4 is not bleeding edge anymore, so what? I was a bit skeptic about buying a new laptop with an old G4 processor but once I saw how it performed I realized how useless it is to compare chips by means of Ghz. Of course, I'd be better off with a G5 but I don't see a 64 bit processor on your Medion either.
-Hard drive : Comparable, except hard drives have a short lifespan and it gets even shorter when its a cheap brand such as -Seagate??- :)
Wireless: I'd say airport is better
-Memory: Same amount, yet apple's is better quality and faster (ok I admit, its also more expensive)
-DVD: ok so you can't burn dual layer dvd's with the superdrive, other than that its the same thing.
-Graphics card: Yours has a decent card, I personally prefer ATI (nvidia is not what it used to be). Anyway, I'm neutral in this category, pick your favorite.
-Speakers, headphone inputs, etc: It doesn't specify the brand of any of your multimedia hardware but I guarantee its a piece of :eek: (even if it has 6 channels) The powerbook has great sounding speakers, optical inputs/outputs, close to 0 interference (wireless card won't mess up your audio), etc.
-Ports: Yours has 2 more usb, Powerbook has better firewire (is it 6pin?).
-Software: I won't even discuss this... :p Windows XP vs Tiger? they're not even at the same level.. It's like comparing a beetle and a Ferrari.
-Design: Weakest point of the Medion... PB is the best designed laptop I have ever used. I can almost guarantee the medion gets very hot and is very noisy.
-Price: The Medion is cheap because it is made out of cheap hardware. The powerbook is a bit overpriced because it uses a Powerpc (which are sadly more expensive) processor, other than that its worth every penny.
-Finally, just look at how happy powerbook users are (most of them at least). I spent a lot of money on mine (saved money for about 4 months) and I am very, very happy with it. I would never go back to pcs no matter how cheap they get.

James Philp
May 25, 2005, 04:50 PM
No-one seems to have mentioned battery life!
Am typing this on a PB G3 500 "Pismo" running 10.4.1 an OS that is about 9 days old! I have only ever added 256MB RAM to the free slot- all I've done!

That's a 5 year-old laptop running a 9 day old OS and running it WELL - and I mean WELL! Try to find me a 5 year old PC laptop running XP that well.

This laptop is still functional to me, more functional than ANY PC i've EVER used. I'd rather be opening or editing any document on this than on the year-old DELL in the Lab.

It has 2xUSB, 2xFW400, S-Video, VGA, Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, Headphone, Line In, BT via USB dongle, Airport (built in should I have the money but at the moment via PCMCIA) and 2xUSB2 (via PCMCIA). - Remember 5 years old!

Can run office & safari & mail all concurrently.
You can expect all this from the current range of PBs.

asanchezm
May 25, 2005, 05:28 PM
1 inch thick Carbon Fiber Laps (http://www.voodoopc.com/sellPage.aspx?productID=1063)

They are out there in the PC world, give it to us in Steves Reality Distorted Mac World!

plinden
May 25, 2005, 05:45 PM
1 inch thick Carbon Fiber Laps (http://www.voodoopc.com/sellPage.aspx?productID=1063)

They are out there in the PC world, give it to us in Steves Reality Distorted Mac World!
Sure, and it's almost twice the price ($3629.77 for the base options).

My Thinkpad is also barely over an inch thick, but it cost my employers about $3600 a year ago (with 1.5GB RAM and a docking station).

asanchezm
May 25, 2005, 06:13 PM
Sure, and it's almost twice the price ($3629.77 for the base options).

My Thinkpad is also barely over an inch thick, but it cost my employers about $3600 a year ago (with 1.5GB RAM and a docking station).

You could always buy the Asus equivalent, the same machine, less customizable but you are still talking carbon fiber, etc..

stutz
May 25, 2005, 06:59 PM
Damn right!

I've been sitting on my 3+ year old PowerBook and have still not been given a reason to upgrade. While it does make me feel good about my purchase years ago, the current line is embarrasing hardware wise. The OS is the only reason I would buy an Apple portable now. Granted that's the most important thing in my opinion (I will never go Windows).

Apple won't get another damn dime of my money for my next laptop until they put a next generation chip, better video and a bigger HD into the PowerBook series.

If you feel ripped off by the whole "high end" route of the PowerBook, get a PowerBook Light (a.k.a iBook) and then sell it once Apple comes out with a real revision, not this "167mhz bump with the same damn video chip over a year a half " crap.

Stutz

Mechcozmo
May 25, 2005, 07:03 PM
In the end, the Wintel laptop is just another laptop.
The PowerBook will be a PowerBook that you clean, use Q-tips on, and make sure is in great condition.

You just use them differently and it makes a big difference.

James Philp
May 25, 2005, 07:11 PM
In the end, the Wintel laptop is just another laptop.
The PowerBook will be a PowerBook that you clean, use Q-tips on, and make sure is in great condition.

You just use them differently and it makes a big difference.
i haven't treated my pismo with that kinda stuff, but 5 years on when i get it out on the train, and open it up and tiger pops up i get a huge sense of self-satisfaction. IMO it looks better than any PC laptop I've seen still!
http://www.brezhnev.net/oldpage/images/pismo.jpg

asanchezm
May 25, 2005, 08:06 PM
Agreed, they still run windows, but they show what could be.

AMD has a 64bit mobile processor, the turion, so if apple introduces a G5 mobile they won't be the first with a 64 bit laptop. At the rate they are going it seems that they will be the last.

nagromme
May 25, 2005, 08:13 PM
After literally years of waiting for a major revision to the PB line sufficient to cause me to dump my 1999 Lombard (400 MHz G3), I finally gave up last night and decided to buy a 12" PB Combo to "tide me over" until decent PBs come out.
My Lombard 333 still does the job for WP and Internet :)

Look at it this way too: you've got a great new PB now, and when the G5 comes out you won't be too tempted to jump on it. You'll be able to wait a couple generations for them to refine the new design, and end up with a better PBG5 in the end.

AMD has a 64bit mobile processor, the turion, so if apple introduces a G5 mobile they won't be the first with a 64 bit laptop. At the rate they are going it seems that they will be the last.
You mean at the rate IBM is going: Apple doesn't make the CPUs or dictate their power/heat requirements. Meanwhile PPC has some BIG advantages over x86--a trade I can deal with for now.

BTW, there were 64-bit UNIX laptops (Solaris I think) before AMD and Intel had anything. Somewhat obscure, but they existed. So Apple was never in the running for "first."

Anyway, I'd say the iPod shows the value of doing something RIGHT vs. doing it FIRST :)

revenuee
May 25, 2005, 08:18 PM
Unless apple makes Final Cut Pro for Windows <-- this laptop computer is as attractive as a BMW with no available gas source :rolleyes:

law guy
May 25, 2005, 09:20 PM
Well I like the hardware a lot too, and I think its pretty cutting edge! Firewire 800! Oh and by the way, the Powerbook is one inch thick, which I think a lot of PB owners take for granted. Try to find a windows portable that is 17 inches and 1 inch thick. The only ones I know of are at least a couple of inches thick, like bricks and are massive, whereas the PB is sleek, thin and elegant!

I agree - I like the hardware too. I have brand new IBM T42 ThinkPad 15" that I use at the office. I like it. I've always liked ThinkPads for PC notebooks. But my 15" PB is slimmer and lighter. It also is zippier, although I can speed up my 1.7 GHz ThinkPad by setting the settings to not look as good (no shadows, etc). So despite the IBM's zippier RAM and higher MHz chip, my PB's 1.5 GHz G4 in combo with the OS and architechture of the system (and the 128 MB of VRAM doesn't hurt) seem to keep my PB just a bit on the faster side.

Hardware aside, I continually enjoy the Mac OS. To give it some personality, I've got to say it's a plesant interface. I just don't have anything like that reaction with Win XP, which is only fun for trying to find all the backdoors Microsoft left open around the Administrator controls (my goodness, there are quite a few!).

LG

asanchezm
May 25, 2005, 10:08 PM
I was a bit disapointed when I wanted to see some E3 high definition footage on my apple laptop and it stuttered all the way, had to wait till I got on the Dual 2.0 G5 and was wowed by the videos.

It does help that I was watching them on a 20 inch Apple display, but I sure wish I could've seen them on my laptop.

cooknwitha
May 25, 2005, 10:19 PM
Everytime I've even toyed with the idea of 'switching to the dark side' for monetary reasons I look at it this way:

1) No OSX
2) Money to re-purchase all my software for Windows
3) The Blue-screen of Death
4) Viruses (more costs with software)
5) Ugly machines
6) Time wasted with drivers and the like
7) Supporting Microsoft

Then I remember why I love Macs so much. :)

asanchezm
May 25, 2005, 10:57 PM
It would be healthy for apple if third parties where allowed to build Mac machines.

Competition is a good thing.....

Duff-Man
May 25, 2005, 11:35 PM
It would be healthy for apple if third parties where allowed to build Mac machines.

Competition is a good thing.....Duff-Man says....this has been done to death. Apple makes $$ from hardware sales - cannibalizing them by allowing "clones" is *not* healthy for Apple - it almost put them out of business last time....oh yeah!

dejo
May 26, 2005, 12:04 AM

Competition is a good thing.....

While we're at it, let's let other parties build Fords, Chevys, Dodges, etc.

asanchezm
May 26, 2005, 09:57 AM
Its not a fair comparison. Look at the PC side of things, lots of luxury laptops are being developed and each offering from each brand pushes the boundary of what is doable.

aintnohalfstppn
May 26, 2005, 10:43 AM
pc's just straight up suck. I'm on one now, and I hate it. It's pretty tech for a pc that just really needs to connect to a mainframe, p4 2.8ghz/2gb ram nice 19" flat panel and I hate it. Took me 35 minutes, no joke, to 'apply computer settings' 3 days in a row. This thing is such a piece. No joke, this thing is hardly quicker at opening apps then my powerbook and if you have multiple apps going at once...forget it.

I try to run outlook, a couple mainframe sessions, websphere, and a firefox window...guaranteed it'll have a problem. Throw some sort of media player in and it's over.

jaseone
May 26, 2005, 11:08 AM
Agreed, they still run windows, but they show what could be.

And what exactly are you going to use a 64 bit procesor in a laptop for?

People comparing specs of Powerbooks to WinTel laptops need to just spend some time with a Powerbook, the specs don't really amount to much, 9 times out of 10 the Powerbook will outperform the WinTel laptop.

Bengt77
May 26, 2005, 12:34 PM
Uh...excuse me? I'm confused. One second you love your iMac G4 running Tiger and the next "any Apple computer using a G4 processor is just a sad excuse for a computer"?
Okay, I should clarify myself. What I actually meant was that any computer using a G4 processor that Apple sells now is just a sad excuse for a computer. When I bought my iMac, it was as good a computer as the new iMac is now.

jaseone
May 26, 2005, 01:50 PM
Okay, I should clarify myself. What I actually meant was that any computer using a G4 processor that Apple sells now is just a sad excuse for a computer. When I bought my iMac, it was as good a computer as the new iMac is now.

Why though? What are you basing your opinion on? Have you tried doing your regular tasks side by side on a Powerbook and a whizz bang Wintel laptop? On paper the Powerbooks might look sad compared to a Wintel laptop but in practice I can't find fault with my Powerbook.

Bengt77
May 26, 2005, 02:09 PM
Why though? What are you basing your opinion on? Have you tried doing your regular tasks side by side on a Powerbook and a whizz bang Wintel laptop? On paper the Powerbooks might look sad compared to a Wintel laptop but in practice I can't find fault with my Powerbook.
Somebody I know bought a laptop recently. It's fast. It's really fast. But the operating system is a pile of *****. That's a shame, though, since I run Windows XP at work too on my work PC and it's quite okay. Of course, it's nowhere near the sophistication of Tiger or even Panther or, dare I say it, even Jaguar. But it's actually quite workable. Althought the spyware problem is really a big one. And on the Toshiba laptop of that somebody I know all sorts of weird completely ununderstandable control panels are installed.

Darn, I'm not making any sense today, am I now? What I'm trying to say is, that I agree with you all. A PowerBook is pretty darn cool when just and only considering the OS and the design. When taking into account it's innards it becomes a whole different story altogether. Of course, The OS and design mainly make the Mac. Not the computer's innards. But a fast and feature rich rig do help speeding up lots of things. The laptop in my first post in this thread, hardware-wise, is absolutely awesome. Software-wise, though, it's probably just as bad as the Toshiba I mentioned above. Probably even worse...

I hope I made some sense. I really, definitely, absolutely LOVE Mac OS X. Especially Tiger. Only staring at it and using it for trivial things is a treat. I never really enjoy using Windows, while I can keep myself busy and happy just fiddling around with my iMac all evening. Can't explain it, really, but a Mac is just one big treat. Software-wise. Hardware-wise, the desktops (not considering the Mac mini) are treats too. The laptops are not, though. At least, not in my opinion.

Ti_Poussin
May 26, 2005, 03:01 PM
The only thing the Powerbook line is missing is a good Front-side-bus, that's all. The speed are ok, the graphic card is ok, the hard drive is ok, the design is awesome. In fact everything except the FSB is great or ok, but the G4 have always suffering problem with a slow FSB. Give a new revision of the G4 with a REAL DDR (that take advantage of it) at a high speed, you get a killer machine. The G5 in Powerbook is just plain dumb to do this, anybody still think the Powerbook need a G5 is mess up in it's head or have no idea of hardware architecture. What we want is the new Freescale dual core with HIGH frequency FSB, low heat dissipation, please, please, that would be so sweet. Not a heater G5 64 bit! what the use if your memory is limit to 2 Go? the speed boost of 64 isn't there yet, will not be for a long time for normal software (only big math calculation may need it).