Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greythorne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Hello people,

Being having this problem ever since i updated to lion. Despite updating to 10.7.2 still have the issue.

I believe this has been mentioned here in the forums. Anyone has this in their macbook pro?

Mines is a mid-2010 13inch 2.4GHz C2D Nvidia 320M.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks people.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 163

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
I believe Apple still needs to make some adjustments to the way Lion work with the graphic cards.

I don't have you problem specifically, but I'm having many graphical glitches around Lion 10.7.2

I've repaired permission and all the other usual steps. And nothing seems to help.

greythorne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I believe Apple still needs to make some adjustments to the way Lion work with the graphic cards.

I don't have you problem specifically, but I'm having many graphical glitches around Lion 10.7.2

I've repaired permission and all the other usual steps. And nothing seems to help.

The thing is this did not happen when i was using Snow Leopard. This are but just some of the reasons why i keep going back to Snow Leopard.

We shall see if issues like this will be ironed out in the upcoming release of 10.7.3.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Lion is a fest of Graphical glitches, seriously flawed as far as handling he graphic cards/drivers goes. It seems they are working on some fixes for 10.7.3, I for one hope they do. About damn time they fix this mess.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Expose was more smooth under Snow Leopard in my 2006 MacBook.

Now with my new 15" MBP Expose/Mission Control is a mess. Even to the point were it is a pain having to use Mission Control.

greythorne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Yes.

Wait for 10.7.3. to be released. :eek:

LOL OK. Maybe a Mod can merge the two threads?

Oh its not a bad logic board if it is then i should observe the same artifacts while running Snow Leopard but that was not the case.....

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Lots of weird graphics glitches under Lion for me: distorted areas of my screen which go away after a mouse or keyboard input; lock-ups while watching video of various codecs (whether using M PlayerX, VLC or QT); etc. I figure Apple is trying to tell me I have to purchase a new machine to run Lion (I have a 2.16 C2D, pre-Santa Rosa, Macbook Pro; maxed-out 3GB RAM)

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Oh its not a bad logic board if it is then i should observe the same artifacts while running Snow Leopard but that was not the case.....

You can't assume that. It's faulty logic. Changes in drivers cause the hardware to be used in different ways, which means that actual hardware problems may be visible in one version of the driver where they aren't visible in another version of the driver. If it were a driver bug, a lot more people would have the problem.

If you get the logic board replaced by Apple and the issue doesn't go away, then I'll be more than happy to consider changing my position on the issue. If your machine is still under warranty, you should really have them look at it. If it isn't, you may want to try to get them to cover it anyway. Until then, don't scoff at my diagnosis.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Lion is a fest of Graphical glitches, seriously flawed as far as handling he graphic cards/drivers goes. It seems they are working on some fixes for 10.7.3, I for one hope they do. About damn time they fix this mess.

In fairness though it is a nVidia issue rather than a Mac OS X issue per-say. You are correct that it is up to Apple to fix the issue but at the same time such issues aren't affecting everyone. One of the things I swore that after the 8600M fiasco 2 years ago that I would never purchase another device with nVidia GPU inside it - I'd sooner go without than having to deal with all the drama. I just hope that with the break down in the relationship between nVidia and Intel that maybe for the next few years we'll be seeing more AMD GPU's in Apple computers.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
If it were a driver bug, a lot more people would have the problem.

Who says that's not the case? I would assume everyone with a MBP7,1 (running 10.7.2 Lion) at least. The issue appears only sporadically though, and even then most people might not see it as a problem or even notice it at all.

Last edited:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I'm quite sure it's a driver bug

My SL machine ran 24/7 NEVER once a graphical glitch.

Lion upgrade, clean install straight to 10.7.2 and daily glitches

Running a Nvidia GT 120 256MB. Lots of users on apple discussions having issues. All my crash logs point to the driver.

Possibly lion is too demanding for older cards :confused:

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I have an occasional glitch when copying files. My iMac was rock-solid prior to Lion, so I'm in the "bad driver" camp.

attachment.php

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
In fairness though it is a nVidia issue rather than a Mac OS X issue per-say. You are correct that it is up to Apple to fix the issue but at the same time such issues aren't affecting everyone. One of the things I swore that after the 8600M fiasco 2 years ago that I would never purchase another device with nVidia GPU inside it - I'd sooner go without than having to deal with all the drama. I just hope that with the break down in the relationship between nVidia and Intel that maybe for the next few years we'll be seeing more AMD GPU's in Apple computers.

I don't have any Graphical glitches with Windows 7 nor with Snow Leopard. It's only with Lion.

So it's something wrong with Lion.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I'm on 10.7.2, on a 17" MBP 6,1.

This problem has been coming up all day for me. Not sure what changed.

The finder badge/icon is too dark.
k0jclh.png

All of my widgets are extremely dark.
59ygqw.png

It seems like it's a contrast problem, but it's not. I'm using the default Color LCD Profile, and using the internal screen. No weird settings. Nothing showing up in disk utility either.

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
This problem has been coming up all day for me. Not sure what changed.

Your issue differs from the one presented in this thread. It is being discussed in another thread though.

EDIT: Oh, and would you mind changing the image tags in your post from img to timg to make them smaller? Thanks!

Last edited:

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Your issue differs from the one presented in this thread. It is being discussed in another thread though.

EDIT: Oh, and would you mind changing the image tags in your post from img to timg to make them smaller? Thanks!

Thanks! I looked around, but I couldn't find it. Probably because I wasn't searching for 'burnt.'

Also, thanks for the TIMG suggestions. I had no idea about it, but now I do.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
I'm having this exact same issue... appears to be happening in different programs, although i notice it mostly in Chrome because I use it the most. 10.7.3 didn't appear to resolve the issue. Anyone have any luck after bringing theirs in to Apple? Just wondering if I should wait for an update or bring it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.