PDA

View Full Version : Maya Plugin question (This is a longshot...)

chrono1081
Dec 3, 2011, 02:08 AM
Hi guys,

As the title says, this is a long shot but I thought I'd ask here since its my favorite programming forum.

I'm taking a class on writing plugins for Maya. During the last week we design and code a plugin of our own design...which is where the problem lies.

I use Maya, a lot, but I don't use it in detail enough to know what I would need to make a plugin of that would be something a beginner could do in one week.

Has anyone had any experience with this and could suggest a plugin I could create? I am only on week 2 of 8 in the class so far and we have done simple things like grabbing information from nodes and ray casting so far. (Unfortunately I can't see the class overview anymore since I am now enrolled so I'm not sure whats coming up :/ )

theyoda3
Dec 4, 2011, 07:24 PM
Can you give some hints as to what kinds of things in Maya interest you? Is there something that you wish Maya could do or that it could do better?

Also, are you looking to make a GUI with this plugin? Are you using C++ or Python? Do you consider yourself a strong programmer?

Have you looked at the sample plugins yet? Have you looked at academic papers (i.e. SIGGRAPH papers) for some ideas of things that you could implement as a Maya plugin?

Some more info would be helpful to know what interests you and your level of programming skill.