PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't believe my eyes...

NOV
Dec 3, 2011, 07:22 AM
when I opened up my MacBook this morning. At one side it was completely 'swollen' at the left side of the keyboard and it wiggled because the bottom side was also swollen. When I opened the MBA is saw the culprit: the battery had some kind of internal leaking (?) which changed its shape and therefor the shape of the MBA enclosure. It's a MBA from one of the first revision I bought it in 2008. I'm very disappointed because I can not use it anymore, anyone else ever had a similar failure?

NOV
Dec 3, 2011, 07:24 AM
Here is a picture of the battery:

vitzr
Dec 3, 2011, 07:26 AM
Although you are most likely out of warranty I'd call Apple immediately and see what they say.

johnhurley
Dec 3, 2011, 07:27 AM
when I opened up my MacBook this morning. At one side it was completely 'swollen' at the left side of the keyboard and it wiggled because the bottom side was also swollen. When I opened the MBA is saw the culprit: the battery had some kind of internal laking (?) which changed its shape and therefor the shape of the MBA enclosure. It's a MBA from one of the first revision I bought it in 2008. I'm very disappointed because I can not use it aymore, anyone else had a similar failure?

I hope you have some good pictures before and after you opened it up!

Guessing that if you can show apple that it happened on its own they will be interested in following up and checking out what happened and probably make an appropriate reimbursement to you.

lulla01
Dec 12, 2011, 11:34 PM
Even if your out of warranty, things like that which could be potentially harmful may be looked at in a different light. They will probably replace the unit or the battery at little or no cost.

imswimmin
Dec 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
Oh wow! Do tell us how your story turns out! I'm very curious to know about the result. Also, would you mind sharing a picture of the aluminum casing? I am really quite intrigued by your story; I've never seen anything like it before (for a laptop, that is - and a mac nonetheless)!

(Sorry, I'm not really much help! Just a fascinated and curious reader!)

Xikum
Dec 13, 2011, 05:16 AM
Phone up Apple, things like these can be considered dangerous and they may repair it or give you a new one for you to be quiet, so to speak.

boy-better-know
Dec 13, 2011, 07:18 AM
I have heard about this before, where the macbook actually bulges out. As everyone else says, see what Apple will do.

jamesryanbell
Dec 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
Look for my thread on this issue. I had that happen - OUT OF WARRANTY - (late '08 MBP 15") and they replaced it free of charge. Genius said "This should NEVER happen. Here's a free battery."

Pretty awesome.

-- Ryan

Akack
Dec 13, 2011, 10:38 AM
whoa...

convergent
Dec 13, 2011, 01:14 PM
Batteries can have some rough ends to their life. I'd see if Apple will do anything, but probably not.

sostoobad
Dec 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
Batteries can have some rough ends to their life. I'd see if Apple will do anything, but probably not.

I think Apple should do something, 3yrs old and it explodes, not good.
They should have 3yr warranties on their gear anyway but they don't.

h4ck
Dec 13, 2011, 02:42 PM
you're.

Even if your out of warranty, things like that which could be potentially harmful may be looked at in a different light. They will probably replace the unit or the battery at little or no cost.

----------

probably not? based on what?
i've had several experiences with Apple and out-of-warranty products and they've been more than accommodating.

I've brought physically damaged, out of warranty iPhones in before and had them replaced.

theres a good chance that you can plead your case. if they say no at the apple store, call apple.