Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitchellMck

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Scotland
Hey guys,

So right now I have a 2007 MacBook that contains a copy of Windows 7 (totally legal with a product key) that runs via Bootcamp. I've ordered a brand spanking new MacBook Pro and the only thing I'm worried about is transferring the activated copy of Windows over to it. How would I go about doing this? Would I just install Windows on the new MacBook and enter the product key there or is it not as easy as that?

Many thanks.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Hey guys,

So right now I have a 2007 MacBook that contains a copy of Windows 7 (totally legal with a product key) that runs via Bootcamp. I've ordered a brand spanking new MacBook Pro and the only thing I'm worried about is transferring the activated copy of Windows over to it. How would I go about doing this? Would I just install Windows on the new MacBook and enter the product key there or is it not as easy as that?

Many thanks.

If you bought an OEM version then you may be in trouble; only the retail version can be legally transferred. ( MSN keeps a record of the hardware and if it is an OEM version then likely it will not activate on another platform. )

The retail version will happily be reactivated on another computer but it will not work on two computers at the same time.

You can use the built in backup and restore to backup your data and restore it on another computer - personally I prefer to have more control and copy it manually. If you are using Outlook don't forget the hidden data files (normally not visible, you'll have to change the settings in windows explorer to see that)

MitchellMck

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Scotland
If you bought an OEM version then you may be in trouble; only the retail version can be legally transferred. ( MSN keeps a record of the hardware and if it is an OEM version then likely it will not activate on another platform. )

The retail version will happily be reactivated on another computer but it will not work on two computers at the same time.

You can use the built in backup and restore to backup your data and restore it on another computer - personally I prefer to have more control and copy it manually. If you are using Outlook don't forget the hidden data files (normally not visible, you'll have to change the settings in windows explorer to see that)

Gladly I bought the retail version as it was a toss of a coin whether to buy that or the OEM! Many thanks guys.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011

I have not seen that with OEM.

You have to sometimes dial in with a telephone and use the generated keys and in return microsoft generates an activation code back.

It usually asks how many computers has this copy of windows ( or office etc ) been activated on.

From what I have seen I don't think microsoft really treats OEM activations differently from regular activations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.