Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcowdude20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
So, I am going to buy a DSLR, but I have heard that the microphone is not good on it, so I will need to buy an external microphone. I am looking for one that clips onto your shirt, like the news people have. Heres what I need:
  • lower than $300
  • wireless
  • recorder/computer recording program

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Are you talking about a lavalier system or a wireless shotgun?

For "wireless" lavalier, the cheapest option would be an Audio Technica ATR3350 lav (~$25) + Zoom H1 recorder ($99).
That'll leave you enough money for an Azden SGM 2x shotgun + a Pearstone transformer to connect it to your H1.
You'll need a boom pole, some cable and a good pair of headphones too.

For 300 bucks, you won't get a wireless system that is worth its money. Maybe from Azden, but that seems to cause diverse opinions. I have a Sony UWP for now $450 (I paid $525 three years ago). Was my personal preference over Sennheiser or Audio Technica.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You might be able to get an older Sennheiser Evolution G2 for that price.

Excellent wireless lav mic.

julesw

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
agree with above, I like the sennheisers, uses them a tonne filming/directing tv shows

mrcowdude20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Okay, thanks to all of you, and yes, now that I have looked into this more, it is the laveir things. I'm driving home from a vacation, and internet on the iPhone is slow. Will look into when I am home from my five hour trip. Another question has popped into me. How can I record this?

jdesign

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
Just get an Olympus dm-520 recorder + lav .. you can get 2 of that system for $300.

i've also have h4n + sonny wireless lav $800 all together. but depends of what area you are on, i think the olympus recorder does it job.

i'm liking the olympus recorder more as its small and lightweight and lot cheaper.

i'm in wedding industry, and i know lot of wedding videographers uses olympus recorder to record the audio.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
If you plan on doing this long term, and perhaps will make money off your work, I would heed the suggestion of purchasing a Sennheiser wireless lav. Get a used one or pay more money and get a new unit.

If you really don't want to spend much money, look into the Azden LAV. It has gotten great reviews, I have one and it works great, the sound is good for the money ($100). The Azden will get you by if you are just doing amateur stuff, and you can then decide if you want to spend more money on a Sennheiser lav system, or something even better.

Last edited:

superdudebt

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I was in your same position. I didn't have the $500+ budget to get a decent wireless system, but needed good quality lav mic.

I ended up getting this wired lav mic. It's got a 10 ft. length, which is long enough to stretch out to get a medium shot interview style (like top half of abdomen up) at 35mm on my GH2.. which equals just under 50mm on a 7D.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/266176-REG/Audio_Technica_AT899_AT899_Condenser_Lavalier.html

For longer focal lengths, I just plug the mic into a long XLR cable extender (I think mine is like 25 feet) and as long as it's a sit down interview (not walking around)-- it works out as the same functionality as a wireless system for a few hundred dollars less.

I use a Zoom H4n, which is able to provide phantom power to the mic. I highly recommend it. The Tascam DR100 gets raving reviews, too. I might have considered it instead of the H4n, but I was already accustomed to it from working with other folks.

I also HIGHLY recommend getting one of Sescom's cables. This lets you plug the cable into the headphone jack of your audio recorder. Then that cable has a Y split (two cables off of it). One goes into your camera, so that the audio gets recorded onto the video without having to sync it in post. The other has a headphone jack to plug in your headphones. NOTE: The Tascam I spoke of has both a line out jack AND a headphone jack, but most of the others just have the one output for headphones. The cables also come with a 25dB Attenuator Pad if that model camera needs it. The GH2 does, and I think Canon's offerings do as well.

Let me know if I can help otherwise. Myself, I'm looking for a decent, cheap boom system for around $300 ($200 would be nice, but I don't think that's going to happen). Any suggestions anyone?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
I'm looking for a decent, cheap boom system for around $300 ($200 would be nice, but I don't think that's going to happen). Any suggestions anyone?
The Azden 2X I mentioned further up should keep it under 300. Buy it second hand, DIY'ing your boompole and shock mount could keep it at 200.

A dead cat can be made from fake fur (use the longest "hair" you can find) for a couple of dollars. It is not perfect, but works to 90%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.