PDA

View Full Version : Dust trapped under the glass screen

Shadyriley
Dec 4, 2011, 12:32 AM
I noticed a spec today and realized it was under the glass after it wouldn't wipe off. Anyone else have this problem? I'm considering going to best buy and having them replace it under my 3 year coverage plan because of it.

MultiMediaWill
Dec 4, 2011, 12:58 AM
This is a well known issue for all technology with screens. On earth it is near impossible to manufacture in conditions with out dust therefore leading for dust to get under the screen during the manufacturing process.

mmf01
Dec 4, 2011, 01:34 AM
I noticed a spec today and realized it was under the glass after it wouldn't wipe off. Anyone else have this problem? I'm considering going to best buy and having them replace it under my 3 year coverage plan because of it.

If everything else is perfect, and you don't notice the dust while using the iPad, I wouldn't worry about.

I've been through numerous iPads for various reasons and every single one had some form of dust under the screen. Almost all were not noticable unless the display is off and you use a flashlight.

In my experience trying to find a perfect ipad, this is the least of the issues that may arise. Swapping my iPad to lead to bigger issues like dead pixels, backlight bleeding and other annoying problems. In other words, a replacement device may be worse than your current device.

I'll take non-visible dust over the aforementioned items. Unfortunaly, I've jst come to accept there are no perfectly manaufactued iPads and other products for that matter. Basically, if I can't see it and doesn't get in the way of me using the product, and providing the issue won't get worse, I try not to worry about it.

Shadyriley
Dec 4, 2011, 02:10 AM
Well I dont believe it was there when I first got it and my eye keeps wandering over to it but yeah I guess 80% of the times don't notice it but when I do it really bothers me. This is already the 2nd iPad the first one got exchanged for backlight bleeding.

mmf01
Dec 4, 2011, 02:49 AM
Well I dont believe it was there when I first got it and my eye keeps wandering over to it but yeah I guess 80% of the times don't notice it but when I do it really bothers me. This is already the 2nd iPad the first one got exchanged for backlight bleeding.

If it's big enough to see at eye level distance on a black background/wallpaper, that would bother me too. A few iPad 1 replacements ago I had a little white speck that was totally visible and couldn't stop looking at it. I had that swapped.

With my new ipad 2, there are small non-noticeable pieces of dust that can only be seen with a flashlight or while the display is off. This did not occur right away, but occurred about a month after the fact. I believe this is normal given the manufacturing process involved.