Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey all,

I have a Macbook Pro Mid-2010 i5 with 10.7.2 installed, and I have recently decided to upgrade my backup volume. I am currently using a 2TB Seagate external USB hard drive, and I bought a WD My Book Essential 3TB external USB drive to replace it. The 2TB is formatted with NTFS, and the WD is formatted to exFAT (so I can write to it without issue).

I have a huge amount of data - about 770 odd GB, and when I ordered the Finder to transfer all of that from the Seagate to the WD, I got through almost all of it (after several hours, shame on 2.0 USB speeds!) when I received a Finder error code -8062. It didn't give me any further details other than that there was an error transferring the files. I'm not sure why this would be, as both disks are using a compatible format with the Mac, and I didn't have sleep enabled to interrupt the transfer. Neither of the cables came loose either: they were both directly attached to the Mac without tampering.

I was able to finish the transfer after determining what had transferred and what hadn't, and there were no more error issues, but I'm curious as to what could have caused this error. When I checked Google it seemed as though it was a Finder error affecting the Trash, which I wasn't using at all; nothing was deleted, it was a copy, not a move operation.

Does anyone have any information that could shed light on this mystery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.