Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted updates to Pages and Keynote from their iWork suite:

Pages 1.0.2 addresses issues with page navigation and organization.

Keynote 2.0.2 corrects a security issue. For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

Apple introduced iWork '05 earlier this year at MacWorld San Francisco.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Great! Can't wait to get home from work and get the update. Anyone know if this is showing up in Software Update yet?

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Yeah it is in Software update...havent really seen any changes..but they are big downloads :eek:

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nothing obvious

Really haven't seen anything dramatic after the updates. Yet again, I am not a big user of Keynote and Pages.

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Has any1 been able to dwnload this? It is not on the support downloads on Apple's site and that means that software update wont pick it up.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
There is another thread somewhere else with some details about changes. I haven't noticed anything yet, except that they open a lot faster than before the update. The updates were kinda big for the reasons given too. Hmmm.

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Never Mind i figured out that the reason it was not working was because software update was not finding the two apps. I realized that I drug them out of the iWork folder in /Applications when i first installed iWork.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
Macrumors said:

Keynote 2.0.2 corrects a security issue.
I never quite guessed that Keynote, of all programs, would ever need a security update...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Xtremehkr said:
There is another thread somewhere else with some details about changes. I haven't noticed anything yet, except that they open a lot faster than before the update. The updates were kinda big for the reasons given too. Hmmm.
Remember these updates also included the updates included in Pages 1.01 and Keynote 2.01 and that all the changes do add up.

Lord Kythe

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
Quebec
Bear said:
Or maybe an app called Sheets. I suspect we'll most likely see this at the next MacWorld SF.

Yeah... I think I remember a rumor on this site that was leaning towards "Cells". We need a decent substitute for MS Office!

Is there anyone here who completely switched to Pages? I'm still using Word for my old documents and I try to create all my new ones in Pages.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Bear said:
Or maybe an app called Sheets.
Yeah, a name like "Cells" reminds me of a prison.

Bear said:
I suspect we'll most likely see this at the next MacWorld SF.
I hope so. I hope it develops in to a whole suite like AppleWorks but with more of an OS X touch. I will be happy with Pages only if it becomes a better Application than Word though. How about adding a core image based art program to the suite? That would be cool. But I think Apple will first add an Excel clone to the suite.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Abercrombieboy said:
Does anyone even use these products on a day to day basis? I don't see the point of buying iWork after I bought Office 2004.
PowerPoint doesn't compare to Keynote, but then again Pages doesn't compare to Word. Of course there is a use for iWork if you want Keynote like me. I am happy with both of the suites. (I currently am using Office X.)

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I bought it, but I already had Office 2004, so I haven't used it much, and probably should have thought it through before making an impulse purchase, but all in all, I am still glad I bought it. But it is just a toy for me.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I don't make many presentations and when I do I have always used PowerPoint. Keynote might be better, but why learn a new program or pay for it when you only use it a couple times a year. I think Apple will eventually get a good set of programs to replace AppleWorks, but I am not sure if they even want to go against Office. It seems MS Office for Mac is still a good selling point. When I talk to my friends about changing that is the NUMBER 1 question they ask... Will it run Office???

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Abercrombieboy said:
Does anyone even use these products on a day to day basis? I don't see the point of buying iWork after I bought Office 2004.
I don't do that many presentations, so I don't use Keynote that often. I do however use Pages daily.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Object-X said:
How about updating iWork with a spreadsheet called Cells?

And a Quicken-like app called Ledger. (Quicken for Mac is dreadful, but it works with bankofamerica.com, so it's what I use.)

iGuy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Keynote vs PowerPoint

Perhaps someone can educate me, but I think I still prefer PowerPoint because of its text-based outline tool. Let me explain.

Unless you're making sales presentations, the resolution and transition effects (affects?, I allways get those confused, blonde roots) are not as important as the content. In fact, a presentation that looks too slick only undermines the credibility of its content, at least in the corporate world.

With this in mind, an outline feature that is visually-based is not as useful as a text-based one. That is because I use the outline feature to organize my thoughts and create the basis of the presentation. I can't read the text on small iconic representations of screens.

It is a great tool once the underlying message is organized, but it focuses too much on the graphic and not on the message for me. Just my opinion, don't beat me up for being honest. As I state in my title, I'm happy to be educated and learn how to use a text-based outline tool within Keynote.

There is one thing I can do in Keynote that I can't in PowerPoint and that is create a series of slides to be used on my PSP. Keynote allows you to customize the output resolution. PowerPoint does as well, but only with preset aspect ratios, non of which are PSP suitable.

Just my two cents.

~iGuy

Lord Kythe said:
Is there anyone here who completely switched to Pages? I'm still using Word for my old documents and I try to create all my new ones in Pages.

I've switched to Pages from Word. I like it. It did take a little bit of time to get used to but the included manual was a big help.

I think that one of the features in the upcoming versions of Pages should be a webpage template. You could just drag and drop text and images and then publish it through .Mac. Right now you can only export into a HTML format, not bad but I would love for there to be actual templates and that .Mac could do all of the work of converting the Pages document to a webpage.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Argh, why do the Pages and Keynote apps NEED to be in the 'iWork' subfolder in order to be updated? I hate having subfolders in my Applications folder. So inefficient.

Pages has it's uses. I don't really see it as a general use word processor. I have it in my dock alongside Word, which I see as general use. Pages is more of a layout app and if you need to dash off a quick impressive document using one of the templates. I just wish I could find a source to download more professional Pages templates.

Keynote is incredible. I just converted one of my PowerPoint-using friends (she already has a Mac) because I showed her how to export to .ppt. I love the transitions. But one feature it could grab from PowerPoint is the ability to have presenter notes - notes that appear on the Mac but not on the projector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.