Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otissmithd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm currently at a university and was wondering if enabling wireless iPhone sync to my computer would cause any problems considering my iPhone and Macbook Pro are connected to the same wifi networks thousands of other people are connected to. I know for a fact that at least 40 people share the access point I am connecting to. Will this be a problem if I setup wireless iPhone sync? I don't want my iPhone syncing to any other computers by mistake

Thanks!

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
It won't accidentally connect to a different computer, but I haven't gotten my iPhone to sync wirelessly on my university's network.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It is not an issue as a file is created when you check sync via wifi in iTunes. The file is written only to your computer.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
There's no way to accidentally connect to another computer because you have to "pair" your iPhone. That being said, I haven't been able to actually do Wi-Fi sync through my university's network, it acts like my Mac and my iPhone are on completely different networks (probably due to the way they route traffic).

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Most school wifi systems isolate each client to help prevent the spread of viruses and whatnot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.