PDA

View Full Version : Macbook air viewing angles?

legolug90
Dec 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
How are the vertical viewing angles on the 2011 macbook air?

My current laptop is an accer aspire one happy 2 and I just can't stand its poor vertical viewing angles. It's like I can't position myself to the screen without seeing some color distorsion going on, especially when the screen is tilted backwards, when it blacks out.

Does the macbook air have this problem?

Briax
Dec 4, 2011, 02:24 PM
To be honest with you.. They suck. I am really not happy about the viewing angles with my MBA (11" 2010). Especially when I have my macbook pro 15" next to it, and I look at both screens at the same time, the 11" looks quite "washed out".

TheJing
Dec 4, 2011, 03:34 PM
They're not the best. I don't mind since I always have my screen at the right angle but I just tried and they're definitely not that good.

Poindexter333
Dec 4, 2011, 07:29 PM
I must concur. The scientific term is indeed "they suck". If you're the kind of person that is bothered by this kind of thing you really should spend at least a half an hour in the store if you can seeing how this affects you.

I never noticed this- not even once- with the Rev A MBA. It's a shame. because I truly love the form factor. I've just learned to deal with it, but it's just another niggling little demerit with this great product. :(

If there was some way to offer CTO with a better screen I would have jumped in a heartbeat- hey, after all I paid $1,800 for the Rev A back in '08, with an 80GB iPod drive. :eek:

legolug90
Dec 5, 2011, 12:56 AM
I was thinking of waiting till early 2012 to see what Apple has to offer, especially considering the rumors about a 15 inch air.

The screen is the only downside for me as I don't want to do anything very demanding with my air ( just coding 2d games and light photoshop work).

Do you think the next generation macbook airs (2012) will have the screen problem fixed?

ZipZap
Dec 5, 2011, 09:01 AM
I am afraid the current display choice is probably going to be the only choice at this price point with the battery life apple delivers.

MBA screens don't have great viewing angles.

cluthz
Dec 5, 2011, 10:15 AM
Comparing the screen on a Aspire One to a MBA is just wrong.
THe Aspire Oness I've used have pretty much the worst screens I've seen.
The 13 inch MBA has pretty decent viewing angles compared to most laptops, although it can't compare with the best IPS screens out there.

The difference between this 2011 MBA (13") and my 2010 MBP (15") is very little. Although the 15 inch is better.

Anyways, go to an Apple Store and look for yourself

Aras87
Dec 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
I think screen is the weakest point of MBA considering its price. I'm sure it will be better than your acer but do not expect a high quality display. Viewing angles are average at best but my biggest complaint is the backlight uniformity problems. It especially becomes bothersome when reading stuff with white background in the full screen mode. The upper portion of the screen is darker than bottom portion on most MBAs I have seen.It creates a terrible gradient effect.