PDA

View Full Version : Why would I want to put my MBA to sleep?

WissMAN
Dec 4, 2011, 05:35 PM
With the MBA having a SSD, why would I want to put it to sleep, (outside of the power savings)? I always put my PC's to sleep to let the HD spin down mainly. Processors don't really wear out, so the last thing would be the fan; but I never hear it on unless I am watching a video.

With the proliferation of SSD's, and the MBA configuration, is it still necessary to put a MBA to "sleep"?

Do we run a greater chance of a disk/OS corruption coming out of sleep rather than leaving it "on"? I do have my screen set to sleep at 10 minutes of inactivity...

Any thoughts from the Mac experts (or newbies) out there! :o

jabbawok
Dec 4, 2011, 05:54 PM
I never turn my air off. I simply shut the lid and it sleeps. When I open the
It it's instantly on. Macs have a safe sleep, so it writes the memory to disk before the battery goes completely flat. If its gone into safe sleep then it will take a little longer to wake.
I used to power down my old macs and boot up every time I used the, looking back it seems a bit stupid. Why wait 10 seconds when you can have it in 2 or 3...

MultiFinder17
Dec 4, 2011, 06:20 PM
With the MBA having a SSD, why would I want to put it to sleep, (outside of the power savings)? I always put my PC's to sleep to let the HD spin down mainly. Processors don't really wear out, so the last thing would be the fan; but I never hear it on unless I am watching a video.

With the proliferation of SSD's, and the MBA configuration, is it still necessary to put a MBA to "sleep"?

It's never been necessary, but waking up is just faster than booting up. If it's easier and has no downside, why not?

Do we run a greater chance of a disk/OS corruption coming out of sleep rather than leaving it "on"? I do have my screen set to sleep at 10 minutes of inactivity...

Turning on a computer is about the cruelest thing you can do to it. It's the most stressful part of its day. I rarely reboot my Macs (usually just for software updates that require one) and I always put them to sleep to spare the core components the pain of startup.

Neolithium
Dec 4, 2011, 07:33 PM
Same with me, the only time I don't use sleep is if there's an update which requires me to restart my MBA.

Peteman100
Dec 4, 2011, 09:40 PM
You want to put your MBA to sleep so it doesn't discharge quickly when you aren't using it. I think you meant to ask whether it needs to be shut down after use. The answer to that, as others have mentioned, is no.

Booji
Dec 4, 2011, 11:39 PM
I just shut mine down. It boots up so fast I don't really care to leave it on.

fade-
Dec 5, 2011, 12:33 AM
i dont want to lose the 4-5% of battery per night when I leave my Air to sleep as opposed to when I shut it down, so i just shut down when I'm not using.

Internaut
Dec 5, 2011, 02:38 AM
I've found the whole sleep thing odd. I've been using XP at the office (and on the move) for a long time as part of my day to day work and found that putting the laptop to sleep seemed to cause more problems than it solved.

With the MBA OTOH, I work for an hour, put it to sleep overnight and the following day, at the cost of a couple of percent of battery power, everything I had open is simply there, immediately.

yegon
Dec 5, 2011, 03:32 AM
Shutting down is largely pointless, and a relic of old computing habits.

Get with the times.

halledise
Dec 5, 2011, 03:50 AM

Get with the times.

pffft :rolleyes:

3bs
Dec 5, 2011, 03:50 AM
I think most people misunderstood the OP. He's not asking why sleep is better than shutting down, he's asking why not just keep it on all the time

ThemacNub
Dec 5, 2011, 06:16 AM

Get with the times.

Actually being limited to only 4gb, I would power down every few days to free up the RAM. For some this is not necessary others it is, do what best enhances your operating experience.

ddong
Dec 5, 2011, 11:02 AM
i dont want to lose the 4-5% of battery per night when I leave my Air to sleep as opposed to when I shut it down, so i just shut down when I'm not using.The Air battery is supposed to last up to 30days while sleeping, it means that it shouldn't loose more than 3% each 24hours (sleep time is only about 5-10hours in most common case). So if it indeed loose 4-5% each night as you're saying, that's wrong..?

johnhurley
Dec 5, 2011, 12:05 PM

Lots of divided opinions here from the mba crowd and the longtime macbook crowd.

A whole bunch of people ( 70 percent or more probably ) do use sleep mode all the time or quite a bit.

A smaller bunch ( including me ) typically don't use sleep and just shut it down at night typically. You can adjust ( preferences ) energy save under the power adapter tab so that it never sleeps if you want to when plugged into power ( that is the setting I use ).

Just my wild shot in the dark guesses on percentages here obviously!

So do what makes sense to you! There's a bunch of us who do not use the sleep feature ... plus a fun app ( free ) called caffeine that helps keep your laptop awake ... caffeine might be useful at times keeping a wifi connection active maybe.

BENJMNS
Dec 5, 2011, 12:20 PM
for those saying you never shutdown. bs

the OS hangs up and acts weird at times making a full shut down or restart a requisite partof the computing experience.

you have to restart anyways when you install a software update or install.

orfeas0
Dec 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
It's never been necessary, but waking up is just faster than booting up. If it's easier and has no downside, why not?

Turning on a computer is about the cruelest thing you can do to it. It's the most stressful part of its day. I rarely reboot my Macs (usually just for software updates that require one) and I always put them to sleep to spare the core components the pain of startup.

Does that mean that I'm wearing my mac out by rebooting in and out of boot camp 1-2 times a day?

yegon
Dec 5, 2011, 01:38 PM
for those saying you never shutdown. bs

the OS hangs up and acts weird at times making a full shut down or restart a requisite partof the computing experience.

you have to restart anyways when you install a software update or install.

I never shutdown.

I restart (which is completely different) about once every 2 weeks, or when I'm forced too due to an update/kernel panic.

Again, other than booting into another OS, shutting down is largely pointless and is a relic of old computer habits/windows*, and is only really useful when you're going to be away from it for a few days, and don't wish to leave it plugged in and charging (in the case of a laptop).

*Nothing against windows, I've got a beastly PC for gaming which I shutdown daily simply because it can go days without seeing any use. XP, of course, needed regular reboots to keep the speed up, can't comment on Windows 7 as I only use it in the above scenario, meaning it's uptime is never more than a day.

larmende
Dec 5, 2011, 01:47 PM
How about when putting it into a laptop sleeve for transportation?Is sleep enough? Also, could it be on sleep in a sleeve for a day?

ddong
Dec 5, 2011, 03:27 PM
hey man, wake up! all air are supposed to be able to sleep for 30days! don't you know that? thought everyone does... in a sleeve, a bag or oustide doesn't change anything to that. so, could anyone tell me how many %% will an air will loose while on sleep for a night (let's say 9hours)?

yegon
Dec 5, 2011, 03:53 PM
hey man, wake up! all air are supposed to be able to sleep for 30days! don't you know that? thought everyone does... in a sleeve, a bag or oustide doesn't change anything to that. so, could anyone tell me how many %% will an air will loose while on sleep for a night (let's say 9hours)?

Mine loses about 2% every 12 hours of sleep.

ddong
Dec 5, 2011, 04:48 PM
That makes 4% a day, and 4*30 gives 120%... Please tell year and size, anyone else is also welcome to report!

yegon
Dec 6, 2011, 04:05 PM
That makes 4% a day, and 4*30 gives 120%... Please tell year and size, anyone else is also welcome to report!

Haha, good point. Wasn't lying though, that is generally what my 2011 13" loses over a 12 hr period - in real terms, that 2% could actually be 1.66% rounded up to 2%, meaning 3.33% a day, which is equivalent to the supposed 30 days of sleep the marketeers claim.

Naturally, longer periods of sleep would yield more accurate results but it rarely goes unused for more than 12 hours.

Stingray454
Dec 6, 2011, 05:51 PM
Haha, good point. Wasn't lying though, that is generally what my 2011 13" loses over a 12 hr period - in real terms, that 2% could actually be 1.66% rounded up to 2%, meaning 3.33% a day, which is equivalent to the supposed 30 days of sleep the marketeers claim.

Naturally, longer periods of sleep would yield more accurate results but it rarely goes unused for more than 12 hours.

Also, battery performance degrade over time, so the 2% figure might be accurate too. I'm guessing my own 2010 Air won't be able to sleep for a month, but I will try to test this soon when I can let it sleep for a day or two uninterrupted :)

WissMAN
Dec 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
Good insight as to what others when traveling about with their MBA's. I did not ask my question in a way to get the answer I was looking for... My fault.

What I am interested in is IF you leave you MBA on your desk at home/work (lid open) with power plugged in, is there a reason to set it to sleep after a certain amount of time? I do power off the monitor after 10 minutes...

What do you do if you MBA is at home for the weekend. Do you close it/sleep/shut down everytime you are away or do you let it go to sleep based on time? Or do you leave it powered on (never sleep)?

What are the Pros/Cons?

altecXP
Dec 7, 2011, 06:16 PM
Good insight as to what others when traveling about with their MBA's. I did not ask my question in a way to get the answer I was looking for... My fault.

What I am interested in is IF you leave you MBA on your desk at home/work (lid open) with power plugged in, is there a reason to set it to sleep after a certain amount of time? I do power off the monitor after 10 minutes...

What do you do if you MBA is at home for the weekend. Do you close it/sleep/shut down everytime you are away or do you let it go to sleep based on time? Or do you leave it powered on (never sleep)?

What are the Pros/Cons?

You get a lower electric bill?

macdudesir
Dec 8, 2011, 04:54 PM

If it sleeps for exactly 30 days...it looses 3.333333333333% a day (exact...not 1/3...no repeating...30*3.333333333333=100) haha just had to :)

EDIT: Nevermind :( spotlight rounded it...its is 3.33...........

MattZani
Dec 8, 2011, 07:21 PM
Leaving it on all the time plugged in isn't great for the battery is it? I use mine as a desktop a lot, but every few days I untether and use it out/on the sofa and run it dead.

johnhurley
Dec 8, 2011, 08:34 PM
Leaving it on all the time plugged in isn't great for the battery is it? I use mine as a desktop a lot, but every few days I untether and use it out/on the sofa and run it dead.

Yeah that sounds like a good usage. The battery these days are pretty advanced ( well at least that what you think until your unit catches fire right ? ) ... you just don't want to always have the power into it.

I probably go for up to 10 days or 2 weeks before I remember to let it go unplugged for a while.

Funkymonk
Dec 8, 2011, 11:04 PM
is it safe to NEVER shutdown?

I normally shutdown my air because of my own ocd paranoia :D

yegon
Dec 9, 2011, 07:04 AM
is it safe to NEVER shutdown?

I normally shutdown my air because of my own ocd paranoia :D

My 3 y/o mbp is still going strong and has only been shut down when I've gone on holiday, the mba won't be any different.

One thing I love about the mba is that I don't have to leave it plugged in so I have practically full battery when I come back to it - my mbp, even new, lost a couple % an hour if sleeping unplugged, meaning I left it plugged in ALL the time when I wasn't using it. I can happily leave my MBA unplugged and see minimal battery loss, and it's surely healthier in the long run than leaving it plugged in for days on end at 100%.

Really though, your best bet is not to stress about the battery and just use it anyway you wish, though I still maintain shutting it down for periods is completely pointless.

Confuzzzed
Dec 9, 2011, 09:16 AM
none of you super geeks are going to own a machine for more than 4-5 years without craving for the newest and bestest (that's why you are here, right?) so just use your damn machine as it pleases you and chilax as they say over here. Let the longevity of the battery and HDD be someone else's concern that you sold your 2 year old machine to. Just an idea

maddog91
Dec 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
I shut my laptop down every so often just because I feel that it kinda "resets" everything. Starts fresh when you turn it off and on..Thats how I feel,is it true? Idk, but It doesn't hurt to make your laptop work all the way..

fade-
Dec 13, 2011, 10:47 AM
nowadays i don't shut down because of that annoying launchpad rearranging icons bug.

vitzr
Dec 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
I never turn my air off. I simply shut the lid and it sleeps. When I open the
It it's instantly on. Macs have a safe sleep, so it writes the memory to disk before the battery goes completely flat. If its gone into safe sleep then it will take a little longer to wake.
I used to power down my old macs and boot up every time I used the, looking back it seems a bit stupid. Why wait 10 seconds when you can have it in 2 or 3...

On my Ducati 999R Fila... Whoops wrong forum :D

I sleep my MBA between appointments & meetings during the day, then shut it down when not using it.

If it was my only Mac I'd probably use a different routine.

GekkePrutser
Dec 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
I shut my laptop down every so often just because I feel that it kinda "resets" everything. Starts fresh when you turn it off and on..Thats how I feel,is it true? Idk, but It doesn't hurt to make your laptop work all the way..

Yeah me too :) But Apple broke that in Lion, if you don't uncheck the 'Reopen my programs again on startup' every single time, you get the same mess back the next time :) One of the few features in Lion I really don't like.

js81
Dec 13, 2011, 12:20 PM

I've disagreed with this ^^ for years, even though many people preached it. I still stand against it and advise all of my friends and customers to SHUT DOWN at the end of the day. Take for example my home PC - I don't get home from work until at least 4pm every day; why in the world should it be running, wasting power and wear-and-tear on my components, while no one is there to use it? I also go to bed each night around 12 and don't have time to use it in the mornings (if I want to check something fast I can use my iPad anyway). They way I see it, my computer is on for at most 8 hours a day this way, rather than 24. Same applies to my work PC, except in reverse.

And it appears I'm not alone... :)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/240118/turn_a_pc_off_or_leave_it_on.html

My laptop is another story, though - I usually leave my MBP "on." I just close the lid and put it to sleep whenever I'm finished. :D

LordVic
Dec 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
I've disagreed with this ^^ for years, even though many people preached it. I still stand against it and advise all of my friends and customers to SHUT DOWN at the end of the day. Take for example my home PC - I don't get home from work until at least 4pm every day; why in the world should it be running, wasting power and wear-and-tear on my components, while no one is there to use it? I also go to bed each night around 12 and don't have time to use it in the mornings (if I want to check something fast I can use my iPad anyway). They way I see it, my computer is on for at most 8 hours a day this way, rather than 24. Same applies to my work PC, except in reverse.

And it appears I'm not alone... :)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/240118/turn_a_pc_off_or_leave_it_on.html

My laptop is another story, though - I usually leave my MBP "on." I just close the lid and put it to sleep whenever I'm finished. :D

You're not alone. it is a myth that "starting your computer is stressful on it".

this myth dates back to old AT days. when computers had mechanical power switches that actually activated the power supply directly by closing a circuit. A lot of failures in computers early days happened when turning on the computer because well, it was early tech, and mechanically throwing a switch which suddenly jolted power, often unpredictably down to every device all at once.

once the move to ATX motherboards, tech and power supplies came around, much of this was eliminated. Powersupplies were no longer started by physically closing the circuit but by electronic controls. Believe it or not, your power button on your computer, goes to your motherboard first, which then tells your PSU to start up.

As for "load on the system" that is caused by a computer start up? it is no different than say, running a game, or anything else that would need to access data quickly from your disc, load it to memory, and provide constant power. There is no additional wear to components by starting up windows / OSx than there is starting up World of Warcraft or your favourite shooter.

Quite the opposite is true by leaving your computer on constantly however. When you turn off your computer, it does nothing. there is little to no power usage (modern computers always draw current unless unplugged). What ends up happening, while your computer is running is well, all the parts in use, continue to be in use. Your power supply continues to be under load. your video card, CPU, and all your fancy expensive components continue to be utilized. Heat is still generated, fans continue to spin. In short, leaving your computer ON, continues to use the limited lifespan of all parts. While todays hardware's lifespan can be measured likely in Decades, this wasn't always the case. Even hard drives today are a primary point of failure because constant non stop use wears down mechanical parts. Heat from active parts always has a negative, even if minuscule affect on all computer parts. Plus not to mention the sheer amount of power draw and waste.

And your computer you leave on during the day isn't just sitting idle as well. Many modern Operating systems perform "idle tasks". windows for example when detecting long periods of inactivity can and often does hard drive maintenance such as defraging

SO, is it safer to turn your computer off or leave it on between uses? Turning it off should prolong the life of any computer if you have no need for it to be left on.

Newer computers with fewer and fewer moving parts, the Macbook Air for example only has a single moving fan that more often than not is powered down, really won't matter too much in the long run, aside from the obvious power consumption.

Going to sleep is pretty close to powering down in regards to power consumption and load on the power usage.

What shutting down provides is clearing out the RAM. With no power, RAM is empty, So when you start your computer up the next time, the computer will go through it's boot sequence and load all fresh new data from the hard drive to system memory. This is why when you call for Tech support, they often ask "have you restarted / shut down your computer". sometimes after too long running, without realizing it, programs leave bits of data behind. or lock little bits of ram accidentally (memory leaks) and overall performance might degrade or conflicts might arise. Rebooting and shutting down will always clear the contents of RAM.

ET iPhone Home
Dec 14, 2011, 12:17 AM
I too, put my MBA to sleep. Only do I shut down, when required by an update.

calvol
Dec 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
Putting to sleep adds to the battery cycle count to the tune of 1 per month if you're ok with that. I let mine sleep during the day when not using, and shut down nightly to avoid the constant battery drain.

wgnoyes
Dec 14, 2011, 02:37 PM
I've found the whole sleep thing odd. I've been using XP at the office (and on the move) for a long time as part of my day to day work and found that putting the laptop to sleep seemed to cause more problems than it solved.
That's XP. I've never trusted a windows operating system to sleep or hibernate; it's a coin toss as to whether it comes back up normally. OS X doesn't suffer from this. Let it sleep; it'll be fine.

Internaut
Dec 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
That's XP. I've never trusted a windows operating system to sleep or hibernate; it's a coin toss as to whether it comes back up normally. OS X doesn't suffer from this. Let it sleep; it'll be fine.

This is the aspect of the MacBook Air I'm really, seriously enjoying. I put the MacBook Air on the kitchen table for the first time in four days this afternoon, opened it up and everything was just there (well at least after I'd entered my password), complete with a battery just short of 80%! All the applications I had open and all the web pages were there and within seconds I was adding a couple of paragraphs to a blog I've been working on in Evernote.