PDA

View Full Version : Pressing enter when navigating finder to open folders

stevenpa
Dec 4, 2011, 06:49 PM
This is probably a really dumb question but is there a way to make pressing enter open the folder instead of the option to rename?

GGJstudios
Dec 4, 2011, 06:50 PM
This is probably a really dumb question but is there a way to make pressing enter open the folder instead of the option to rename?
Why not simply press the right arrow to open the folder?

r.j.s
Dec 4, 2011, 06:53 PM
No, there isn't.

Why not simply press the right arrow to open the folder?

That only works in column view. In icon view, it moves to the next file/folder.

GGJstudios
Dec 4, 2011, 06:54 PM
That only works in column view. In icon view, it moves to the next file/folder.
It works in list view, as well. I use it all the time. Right arrow to open the folder, left to close.

stevenpa
Dec 4, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah I use the right arrow now, just easier to press enter when I'm going through a ton of files/folders. A windows thing I guess

GGJstudios
Dec 4, 2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah I use the right arrow now, just easier to press enter when I'm going through a ton of files/folders. A windows thing I guess
Yes, it sometimes takes a while to re-learn new workflow habits. Once you get used to it, you'll find it quite efficient.

stevenpa
Dec 4, 2011, 07:26 PM
Yes, it sometimes takes a while to re-learn new workflow habits. Once you get used to it, you'll find it quite efficient.

Yeah, I use both systems all the time since I used excel quite a bit. Was just trying to find a few files and it was bugging me.

GGJstudios
Dec 4, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I use both systems all the time since I used excel quite a bit. Was just trying to find a few files and it was bugging me.
I've been very happy with Office for Mac. Since I do extensive work with Excel, it enabled me to completely abandon Windows almost 4 years ago.

tkermit
Dec 4, 2011, 08:41 PM
A windows thing I guess

It really is. I remember being slightly annoyed in general of the Mac's differing shortcuts when I first started using a Mac, but after a short while really learned to appreciate their consistency and general sensibleness.

I use ⌘-↓ and ⌘-↑ to navigate into and out of folders, and to open documents. ⌘-1/2/3/4 to switch between different views, is helpful too. Not to forget ⇧⌘G to go to a specific folder (tab-key autocompletes).

stevenpa
Dec 5, 2011, 12:02 AM
It really is. I remember being slightly annoyed in general of the Mac's differing shortcuts when I first started using a Mac, but after a short while really learned to appreciate their consistency and general sensibleness.

I use ⌘-↓ and ⌘-↑ to navigate into and out of folders, and to open documents. ⌘-1/2/3/4 to switch between different views, is helpful too. Not to forget ⇧⌘G to go to a specific folder (tab-key autocompletes).

Oh that's nice, didn't know you could do ⌘-↓ and ⌘-↑

Thanks!

VPrime
Dec 5, 2011, 04:45 AM
I press cmd+o to open folders. :)

phyrexia
Dec 6, 2011, 09:16 AM
Why does enter = rename? Windows or not, it is not very intuitive.