PDA

View Full Version : How do people get around the wifi problems?

gummy3
Dec 4, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a new 11" Macbook Air i5, and although I love the computer, I am very disappointed with the wifi connectivity. I'm running Lion 10.7.2, and after going through many forum posts and threads from tons of other people who experience the same problems, I'm left to wonder whether I should just return the MBA.

Internet connectivity is the #1 most important component of any computer, let alone an ultraportable like an MBA. Yet with so many people (including myself now) having problems with wifi, I'm left to wonder why the laptop is still so popular? Is there still a large portion of people out there with MBAs and Lion that don't have any wifi issues? I have a secondary PC and it's downloading at speeds 10x faster than my Macbook Air, it's almost crippling how slow the internet connection is on this thing.

Seems like nobody has a solid workaround for this issue - and I've tried pretty much all the remedies out there.

I'm really just left to wonder, given my disappointment - how do people still manage to function on this computer? Unless I'm mistaken and the wifi issues are only restricted to a small subset of all Macbook Air + Lion users out there...? (although I'd be surprised if this were the case given the 100's of unresolved complaints out there about this issue)

warfed
Dec 4, 2011, 11:26 PM
Have the 13", no problem maxing out my 50Mbit connection over wifi.

altecXP
Dec 4, 2011, 11:32 PM
Reception on my 13in Air is better than my 15in 2011 Pro.

gummy3
Dec 4, 2011, 11:54 PM
and you guys have Lion 10.7.2? Are you using Airport Extreme or a regular router?

...maybe I should do an exchange then if it's an issue with my computer...

monkeybagel
Dec 4, 2011, 11:59 PM
No problem here at all on a 2011 13" Macbook Air with Lion. Connecting to a Linksys E4200. Connects to 2.4 or 5Ghz fine.

michaelkha
Dec 5, 2011, 12:02 AM
I just bought the MBA 13" and haven't run into any problems yet.

Although when woken up sometimes it doesn't connect right away or tells me that there is no internet connection available. But after about 10-20 seconds everything is fine again. I am running Lion 10.7.2

There's no harm in returning your current MBA and exchanging it for another. At least you can see whether it is just that one ..

tom vilsack
Dec 5, 2011, 12:17 AM
gummy3:

have you tryed placing dns server # in network settings (googles are always good to use...below link shows how to do)

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

- my imac 2006 model was having wifi issues and this trick fixed it...

gummy3
Dec 5, 2011, 12:41 AM
gummy3:

have you tryed placing dns server # in network settings (googles are always good to use...below link shows how to do)

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

- my imac 2006 model was having wifi issues and this trick fixed it...

Thanks - yeah I've given that a shot and my internet speeds didn't change at all, unfortunately. Just did another test and my PC laptop was downloading a file at 1.5MB/s while my MBA was getting about 200kb/s.... :\

tom vilsack
Dec 5, 2011, 01:22 AM
try this...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2664670?start=165&tstart=0

1 - Load network preferences

2 - delete the wi-fi in the bar on the left hand side (press the little - at the bottom of the box)

3 - log out

4 - then create a new wi-fi

5 - connect to your usual wi-fi

gummy3
Dec 5, 2011, 07:17 AM
try this...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2664670?start=165&tstart=0

1 - Load network preferences

2 - delete the wi-fi in the bar on the left hand side (press the little - at the bottom of the box)

3 - log out

4 - then create a new wi-fi

5 - connect to your usual wi-fi

Thanks - tried that as well... no luck.

paulrbeers
Dec 5, 2011, 07:37 AM
Although when woken up sometimes it doesn't connect right away or tells me that there is no internet connection available. But after about 10-20 seconds everything is fine again. I am running Lion 10.7.2

This is about the only "complaint" I have. The other night I transferred about 60+ GB worth of data via wifi from my MBP to my MBA with no issues.

I am using Airport extremes (one as my main router/wifi, and then one as an extender in my basement).

My connection speeds constantly show 300mbps when connected at 5ghz and I don't really notice any slowness when surfing.

MacLappy
Dec 5, 2011, 07:40 AM
Both my wife's and mine don't seem to suffer from the above mentioned wifi problem.

Wife's - 2010 macbook air 13" base
Mine - 2011 macbook air 13" base

I have been using mine in a couple of location, none of which connect via a mac router. It seems that this problem might be either specific to 11" macbook air or just the current one that you have, since most of the responding people with no wifi problems are spotting the 13". Either way hope you find a suitable solution, all the best.

jsolares
Dec 5, 2011, 07:46 AM
13" Air with Timecapsule no problems at all

matrix07
Dec 5, 2011, 07:52 AM
13" Air with Lion 10.7.2 with no WIFI problem. Solid as f...

orfeas0
Dec 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
and you guys have Lion 10.7.2? Are you using Airport Extreme or a regular router?

just did a speedtest.net test and had 10mbps on my 11" 2011 mba (with 10.7.2).
Same test on my toshiba laptop gave 8,78mbps o_O

It's highly probable that your mba has a problem and you should return it.

agentphish
Dec 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
13" 2011 i7. No issues with any wifi network i've come across at all.

cgallant725
Dec 5, 2011, 12:22 PM
I have an 11" air and the only WiFi problems I have is at school there are 10 plus networks that are within range and sometimes i have to manually select my home network. Else where i have no problems when there are not as many networks (MBP does the same thing at school too, just less frequently)

Poindexter333
Dec 5, 2011, 01:57 PM
IMHO- having heard these complaints for many years now- and having suffered some of these same maddening issues myself- with either my TiBook, MBA Rev A or current mid 2011 MBA- I think we can conclude that the problems may be heavily influenced by the brand/internal software version of the router.

People are quick to state every detail about their laptop, but almost never make any mention of the router. Why can our laptops work perfectly in one place and terribly in another? If I go into one particular coffee shop, I can get throughout as low as 2kbps- or worse, fail to connect at all or constantly get dropped, (with nobody else connected- traffic independent in other words) but in another place I can see speeds over 2mbps. Same laptop, different in-house router, yet with 6 other computers running in there.

I think our wifi cards just don't like some brands of routers, and/or their software setups. I would suggest that the router brand and software version be included in problem reports too.

daonesteven
Dec 5, 2011, 02:38 PM
if your mba is having trouble connecting to multiple access points, i think it's safe to say you should exchange it

Geekbabe
Dec 5, 2011, 02:53 PM
13 inch MBA no wifi problems

Neolithium
Dec 5, 2011, 03:30 PM
13" MBA, no wifi issues with my RT-N16.

Skoopman
Dec 5, 2011, 03:37 PM
Before you return it, test the MBA at Starbucks or any other wifi and compare it to your laptop.

gummy3
Dec 5, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hey thanks so much for the replies everyone!

I managed to do what many of you suggested and try both my MBA and my PC laptop at another wifi connection. I went downstairs to my condo lobby that has its own wifi hotspot, connected both my laptops, and got the following speeds on Speedtest.net:

Condo lobby wifi hotspot:
PC - 10.31 mbps (download), 0.97 mbps (upload)
MBA - 9.62 mbps (download), 0.98 mbps (upload)

Here are the speeds I got using my own personal router inside my apartment:
PC - 12.29 mbps (download), 0.79 mbps (upload)
MBA - 1.21 mbps (download), 0.79 mbps (upload)

So by the looks of things, it appears as though it may be an issue with my router? I'll try again tomorrow at a Starbucks and see what happens... fingers crossed that I'll get similar speeds as I got in my condo lobby wifi hotspot!

If this is indeed the case, is my next (only) option to buy a new router? How would I know which router to buy, just trial and error? I'm currently only using the router that came with my Internet service (as a rental). Should I get the Airport Extreme instead? Or are there any configurations that I can make to my current router to see if it'll help my download speeds?

Thanks all! Feeling a bit more optimistic :)

paulrbeers
Dec 5, 2011, 09:00 PM
While I don't know why, I have run into some very "unfriendly" routers for Macs. My father-in-law had a Netgear that constantly dropped my connections and was rather slow. We ended up going with a fairly cheap Asus and installed DDWRT on to it and now it runs just fine. At my house we use Airport Extremes, but for many they are over kill.

Edit: If you don't need ethernet ports, you can use an Airport Express as a router and those can be had for 69.99 in the refurbished Apple store....

mj1108
Dec 5, 2011, 09:02 PM
13" here...no problems anywhere yet with WiFi.

cgallant725
Dec 5, 2011, 11:23 PM

I managed to do what many of you suggested and try both my MBA and my PC laptop at another wifi connection. I went downstairs to my condo lobby that has its own wifi hotspot, connected both my laptops, and got the following speeds on Speedtest.net:

So by the looks of things, it appears as though it may be an issue with my router? I'll try again tomorrow at a Starbucks and see what happens... fingers crossed that I'll get similar speeds as I got in my condo lobby wifi hotspot!

If this is indeed the case, is my next (only) option to buy a new router? How would I know which router to buy, just trial and error? I'm currently only using the router that came with my Internet service (as a rental). Should I get the Airport Extreme instead? Or are there any configurations that I can make to my current router to see if it'll help my download speeds?

When we first got comcast we used their netgear router with comcast firmware and its was completely awful. Xbox live would barley work and drop constantly, connection issues the whole 9 yards. We dumped that thing and used a linksys, and now an Airport Extreme with almost no problems since.

LeandrodaFL
Dec 6, 2011, 07:16 AM
My wi-fi is better than cable

Bob Coxner
Dec 6, 2011, 12:38 PM
My WiFi is roughly the same as wired ethernet. I get similar results, 10mbps down, 1mbps up, with my 13" 2011 MBA and my desktop PC with ethernet. I have a Linksys WRT54GL router and RoadRunner broadband. I was thinking about getting an ethernet adapter for the MBA but I obviously don't need one.

altecXP
Dec 6, 2011, 12:54 PM

10.7.2, using the FIOS router that Verizon gave me.

paulrbeers
Dec 6, 2011, 01:18 PM
My WiFi is roughly the same as wired ethernet. I get similar results, 10mbps down, 1mbps up, with my 13" 2011 MBA and my desktop PC with ethernet. I have a Linksys WRT54GL router and RoadRunner broadband. I was thinking about getting an ethernet adapter for the MBA but I obviously don't need one.

For internet purposes that is true since your internet connection is the limiting factor, but for internal network purposes (i.e. PC to PC), wired would be faster especially using an old wifi 54g router like you have.

Zetaprime
Dec 6, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

I just bought a new 11" Macbook Air i5, and although I love the computer, I am very disappointed with the wifi connectivity. I'm running Lion 10.7.2, and after going through many forum posts and threads from tons of other people who experience the same problems, I'm left to wonder whether I should just return the MBA.

Internet connectivity is the #1 most important component of any computer, let alone an ultraportable like an MBA. Yet with so many people (including myself now) having problems with wifi, I'm left to wonder why the laptop is still so popular? Is there still a large portion of people out there with MBAs and Lion that don't have any wifi issues? I have a secondary PC and it's downloading at speeds 10x faster than my Macbook Air, it's almost crippling how slow the internet connection is on this thing.

Seems like nobody has a solid workaround for this issue - and I've tried pretty much all the remedies out there.

I'm really just left to wonder, given my disappointment - how do people still manage to function on this computer? Unless I'm mistaken and the wifi issues are only restricted to a small subset of all Macbook Air + Lion users out there...? (although I'd be surprised if this were the case given the 100's of unresolved complaints out there about this issue)

My macbook air 13" gets the full speed of the internet connection, indistinguishable from Windows computer on wired ethernet.

newdeal
Dec 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
I have a time capsule with my macbook air and have no wifi problems at all

flynnst0ne
Dec 6, 2011, 07:18 PM
I have a new 13" MB Pro, and also have been experiencing the WiFi issues upon waking the computer from sleep. The issue tends to resolve itself within a minute or so, however it is still frustrating.

I've been using the same Linksys WRT54G router for almost 7 years without an issue on PC's, however i'm curious if there is a compatibility issue with my router and the Mac.

yourmother
Dec 7, 2011, 02:55 AM
I have wifi problems with my mac so I boot to windows 7 and no more problems. I'm not saying thats the best way to do it, but it works for me. I love my setup.

theSeb
Dec 7, 2011, 04:14 AM

There is an issue with reconnecting to wifi automatically in Lion after sleeping. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and that's what most people assume by your topic heading. I've never seen a throughput issue though in comparison to other computers.

Could you clarify a couple of things.

1. Are you referring to mega bits per second or mega bytes per second.
2. When you're connected to your wifi hold down alt and click on the wifi icon

Tell me what you see for PHY mode, Channel, Security, RSSI and Transmit Rate

cathyy
Dec 7, 2011, 04:45 AM
I have a 2010 MBA. Running Snow Leopard on it so I'm not facing any issues.

happyslayer
Dec 9, 2011, 12:23 AM
2011 11" Air here. I connect to a LOT of different wifi networks with my job, (computer repair consultant) and I have no issues with speed. Often, I run the speedtest.net web page app to test my customer's connection speeds and I have had no issues with speed. If anything, it usually always bests the PC-based laptops I am working on.

The only possible issue I have had lately is poor connection speed/lagginess at Starbucks Coffee stores. But I have heard other people complaining as well so I think it's an ATTWifi throttling issue and not my MBA.

Good luck.

KylePowers
Dec 9, 2011, 01:56 AM
I tend to run into issues with my 11in MBA. I think it's primarily my router though, seeing as how I do not recall ever running into these issues when I'm on campus or at my friend's places.

What I tend to do to remedy the situation is run two networks simultaneously. There's the one coming directly from the router (which is an old D-Link) and there's the internet connection sharing offered by my iMac, which is connected to the router via ethernet.

You'd think if I couldn't connect to the router regularly, there's no reason it should work via the iMac; but weirdly, I haven't been able to find any sort of correlation. If one doesn't work, I try the other. Usually works out. But if it doesn't, I just reset my router and that typically fixes things.

My neighbor (who splits Wi-Fi with me) and my girlfriend sometimes have trouble connecting to my router, so it definitely seems like a router issue. Too cheap to buy a new one though :p

sdsvtdriver
Dec 9, 2011, 01:59 AM
IMHO- having heard these complaints for many years now- and having suffered some of these same maddening issues myself- with either my TiBook, MBA Rev A or current mid 2011 MBA- I think we can conclude that the problems may be heavily influenced by the brand/internal software version of the router.

People are quick to state every detail about their laptop, but almost never make any mention of the router. Why can our laptops work perfectly in one place and terribly in another? If I go into one particular coffee shop, I can get throughout as low as 2kbps- or worse, fail to connect at all or constantly get dropped, (with nobody else connected- traffic independent in other words) but in another place I can see speeds over 2mbps. Same laptop, different in-house router, yet with 6 other computers running in there.

I think our wifi cards just don't like some brands of routers, and/or their software setups. I would suggest that the router brand and software version be included in problem reports too.

I have 2 MBA's. Same generation (current).

One connects to my home wifi no problem. The other one refuses to see the same wifi network 90% of the time. Closing the lid and reopening it 1-10 times will eventually get it to lock on... maybe

chrono1081
Dec 9, 2011, 02:32 AM
No wifi issues here at all. I have an airport as a router.

Tide
Dec 9, 2011, 09:22 AM
I have both 11" and 13" MBA, no wifi issues. Using Netgear wireless router.

English Hacker
Dec 9, 2011, 01:35 PM
No issues for me running a Linksys n-router with DD-WRT firmware.

2IS
Dec 9, 2011, 11:56 PM
Unless I'm mistaken and the wifi issues are only restricted to a small subset of all Macbook Air + Lion users out there...? (although I'd be surprised if this were the case given the 100's of unresolved complaints out there about this issue)

Wait... You think the most popular ultraportable on the market all have wifi issues?

You DO realize that people don't go around starting threads saying "hey guys, no wifi problems" right? You searched for wifi issues and got the results you searched for. You not being alone doesn't mean you're the majority.

I don't have wifi issues on my MBA. The only time I had trouble connecting was to a sonic wall and that problem was resolved by power cycling the sonic wall.

Beanoir
Dec 11, 2011, 05:58 PM
I had constant problems with my MBA wireless connection at home, but my Lenovo TP and iMac were fine as was my other half's Dell.

I changed my router (from the crappy ISP provided unit to AE), purely by chance actually, and it seemed to cure the problem.

NogbadTheBad
Dec 15, 2011, 01:13 PM
Try doing a wireless survey, to check out the whole house :-

http://www.netspotapp.com/

kostasw
Dec 15, 2011, 02:11 PM
I used to own a Time Capsule however it was not dual band and, when we moved from a cabled home to a wireless-only home, it was struggling to serve all 7 computers and devices in the house. Since at the same time I got a Netgear NAS for centralised backups and sharing/streaming, the Time Capsule was not a requirement anymore.
So I got the Linksys E3000 and it absolutely rocks: really reliable, never a freeze or reset for 11 months. My MBA 13" pairs up instantly and keeps a very fast connection.

To OP: Good to see that there was nothing wrong with the MBA!...