Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

grand_central_page_marquee.jpg

Apple today posted its official Grand Central retail store page, formally announcing the 10:00 AM grand opening scheduled for this Friday, December 9th. The store's normal hours will include an early opening time of 7:00 AM on weekdays in order to accommodate commuters passing through the terminal.

grand_central_genius_bar.jpg

One MacRumors reader has passed along a few recent photos of the interior of the store, showing that Apple is still putting the finishing touches on the store's buildout including the typical wood tables that will allow customers to test out Apple's products. One photo in particular shows a close-up view of the store's Genius Bar, revealing the clear glass wall behind the bar that will provide customers will a relatively unobstructed view of the terminal's stone walls behind.

grand_central_apple_logo.jpg

Apple is paying approximately $1.1 million per year in rent for the large space, well below market rates for retail space in the terminal and the broader Manhattan real estate market. The State of New York is investigating the deal's terms, but the Metropolitan Transportation Authority insists that it received the best possible terms for a difficult space.

Article Link: Apple's Grand Central Terminal Store Preparing for 10AM Opening on Friday

Last edited:

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Invisible TV Cables

They must have also come up with invisible cables for those two monitors hanging on the Genius Bar's glass wall. I wish I could get some of those for my TV.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
They must have also come up with invisible cables for those two monitors hanging on the Genius Bar's glass wall. I wish I could get some of those for my TV.

The cables come straight out from the wall into the back of the monitor.

grand_central_display_cable.jpg

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I bet you wont be able to come 10 feet in front of that store for at least a month; without waiting in line for a few hours..

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The haters may hate, but Apple retail business is doing so well. How many retail stores they have in NYC alone? The iconic 5th avenue store, the soho store, and now this one. Am I missing a store?

Good for them.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
The haters may hate, but Apple retail business is doing so well. How many retail stores they have in NYC alone? The iconic 5th avenue store, the soho store, and now this one. Am I missing a store?

Good for them.

Clever announcement!

They are so driven, because they are competing with the Microsoft stores.

As you well know Microsoft had this revolutionary idea to open up Retail stores.
:rolleyes::D

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006

Good for them.

Missing two: the Upper West Side store and the West 14th Street store.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I live in the area and I can hardly wait to check it out. I never expected an Apple store at Grand Central. Another place to stand in line for an iPhone/iPad!

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
The cables come straight out from the wall into the back of the monitor.

I didn't think they would let them drill through those nice walls. I expected some sort of wall-colored conduit, but I guess for $1.1 million/year I would let my tenants drill big holes through my concrete walls too.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I'm sorry...

I'll be unable to attend. That happens to coincide with the start of my wedding ceremony...

(So, I guess I'll never forget when it opens?)

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Clever announcement!

They are so driven, because they are competing with the Microsoft stores.

As you well know Microsoft had this revolutionary idea to open up Retail stores.
:rolleyes::D

Lol. I was amazed when I saw the microsoft store at the mall of America. What a total ripoff of apple's look!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'll be unable to attend. That happens to coincide with the start of my wedding ceremony...

(So, I guess I'll never forget when it opens?)

I think you have something just a tiny bit more important to do than go to an Apple Store opening!!;)

BTW - Mazel Tov :D Best wishes for a happy marriage.:)

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

Wireless HDMI is a thing. Wireless power exists too with inductive charging. I wouldn't have put it past Apple to do something like that, but I see that someone was cleaver enough to take a picture of the cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.