Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I was watching parts of last year's D: conference, when I came across an interviw with Kevin Rollins, Dell's new CEO.
Watch the interview and you'll quickly see this guy is all about money and cares very little about customer experience.
Dell also does not inovate but repackage as you'll see.

Watch Walt Mossberg grill him.

Attachments

• wdt2xr89.zip
    200 bytes · Views: 123

vasaz

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2004
MN
It just contains a link to the following web page:

rtsp://rx-wes-sea117.rbn.com/farm/*/medialab/medialab/dconference/demand/d2_15_kevinrollins_rv10hi.rm

jacinto45

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
I took the plunge, and it turns out to only be a text file featuring the URL of the following RealPlayer stream:

rtsp://rx-wes-sea117.rbn.com/farm/*/medialab/medialab/dconference/demand/d2_15_kevinrollins_rv10hi.rm

EDIT: Vasaz, it will work if you open RealPlayer, go to File--> Open Location, and paste that URL in.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
damn, i wish i could be watching the SJ presentation; would be interesting :)

i was also just watching the carly fiorina vid - it's a shame she got fired. she seems like a really smart woman. a lot of great comments.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
asif786 said:
damn, i wish i could be watching the SJ presentation; would be interesting :)

i was also just watching the carly fiorina vid - it's a shame she got fired. she seems like a really smart woman. a lot of great comments.

I LOVED her. She made plently valid points, especially on the topic of Dell. HP innovates and makes their own products, while Dell just takes someone elses product and slaps a logo on it.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I have to say that I get annoyed when these kind of people use the word "innovation". Using the word "innovative" seems to be a fad nowadays. Everyone, every single company, seems to throw the word "innovative" at everything. Even when shipping a box full of parts from other companies like NVidia and Intel, they somehow call themselves 'innovative'. To the point that I actually appreciate it when they don't use the word innovative.

Companies like Dell, and especially Microsoft and Sony, tend to call every single new product "innovative". Microsoft is the biggest one here. Every single thing, every single patch, is somehow innovative, in every interview I read. It really bugs me.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Still watching the video. That was awesome. He basicly said to Dell precisely what I was saying. "Okay, so you may provide the box cheaper, and you may have better people on the phone, though I'm not too sure on that, but how is your system running Windows and an Intel processor a better experience and more innovative than any other system running Windows on Intel?" And the guy just kept stammering stuff about price. Pwned.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
keysersoze said:
Yeah, they did a great job with those printers! and those, um... printers! wait, that's all they wound up with right? :D

better than nothing right? at least they do a darn good job with them too in my opinion. and they are a bit smarter of a company than Dell for that matter too

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Daveway said:
I LOVED her. She made plently valid points, especially on the topic of Dell. HP innovates and makes their own products, while Dell just takes someone elses product and slaps a logo on it.
Dell's innovation is in process. They can manufacture hardware like nobody else - they do it fast and they do it cheap. Is that the type of innovation that inspires average consumers, nope! Do businesses ilke it, yup!

You can order 1000 PCs from Dell and get them shipped, fast. You can get a list of NIC MAC addresses ahead of your order so that you can enter them into your IT management system and pre-configure jobs for them. Then when they arrive you plug them into the network and boom... new OS goes down, security settings, applications within a couple of hours of arriving those machines are good to go. It's all about processes!

Just becuase these things aren't appreciated by average consumers (understandably) doesn't mean that Dell is evil.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
GFLPraxis said:
I have to say that I get annoyed when these kind of people use the word "innovation". Using the word "innovative" seems to be a fad nowadays. Everyone, every single company, seems to throw the word "innovative" at everything. Even when shipping a box full of parts from other companies like NVidia and Intel, they somehow call themselves 'innovative'. To the point that I actually appreciate it when they don't use the word innovative.

Companies like Dell, and especially Microsoft and Sony, tend to call every single new product "innovative". Microsoft is the biggest one here. Every single thing, every single patch, is somehow innovative, in every interview I read. It really bugs me.

Agreed. Imagine if every company innovated everything. We'd have next to no compatibility. :(

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
GFLPraxis said:
Still watching the video. That was awesome. He basicly said to Dell precisely what I was saying. "Okay, so you may provide the box cheaper, and you may have better people on the phone, though I'm not too sure on that, but how is your system running Windows and an Intel processor a better experience and more innovative than any other system running Windows on Intel?" And the guy just kept stammering stuff about price. Pwned.

It would be the same thing today for Apple if they had not killed off the Apple clones

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
feakbeak said:
Dell's innovation is in process. They can manufacture hardware like nobody else - they do it fast and they do it cheap. Is that the type of innovation that inspires average consumers, nope! Do businesses ilke it, yup!

You can order 1000 PCs from Dell and get them shipped, fast. You can get a list of NIC MAC addresses ahead of your order so that you can enter them into your IT management system and pre-configure jobs for them. Then when they arrive you plug them into the network and boom... new OS goes down, security settings, applications within a couple of hours of arriving those machines are good to go. It's all about processes!

Just becuase these things aren't appreciated by average consumers (understandably) doesn't mean that Dell is evil.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=innovation

"the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new"

Making a PC cheaper is not something new, therefore it is not "innovation". It is improvement, but NOT innovation. Improvement is needed, but it is a completely different thing from innovative. Innovative requires creativity. Improvement requires number crunching.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
What concerns me the most about Dell right now is their business stradegy. Listening to this CEO, makes Dell sound like a company whose only interest is to sell the cheapest possible computer while making a profit and sh*t on everything else. Cunsumers are treated as 3rd class citizens and Dell decides not to innovate.

BTW: I watched the video of Steve and I have made a personal conclusion that there will be NO movie downloads coming from Apple. Steve was right, there's not enough bandwidth and we haven't even gotten to hi-def yet. iTunes is great because of "instant gratification."

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
GFLPraxis said:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=innovation

"the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new"

Making a PC cheaper is not something new, therefore it is not "innovation". It is improvement, but NOT innovation. Improvement is needed, but it is a completely different thing from innovative. Innovative requires creativity. Improvement requires number crunching.
Lets not get hung up on semantics here. I hope you were able to understand my point. Dell was really the first computer hardware manufaturer to order components in buik, build them quickly, sell them cheaply and cut out the middle man. It's not a compeletely new idea - it probably owes a lot to Henry Ford's invention of the assembly line. However, Dell's production and sales methods were new to this market and remain the reason that they can undercut most of the competition on price.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Daveway said:
What concerns me the most about Dell right now is their business stradegy. Listening to this CEO, makes Dell sound like a company whose only interest is to sell the cheapest possible computer while making a profit and sh*t on everything else. Cunsumers are treated as 3rd class citizens and Dell decides not to innovate.
What's wrong with running a business to provide merchandise and services your customers want at a low price, with decent margins and having little or no interest in innovating? Also, I have purchased several Dells over the years for friends, family and work. I've worked on them, replacing parts, reinstalling, etc. I've purchased peripherals and displays from them for myself. In all my dealings with them whether it be for sales or support I have never had any bad incidents. Now, I know some people have had bad experiences - every large company has some bad employees. However, stating that Dell treats their customers like third class citizens? LOL, that's a joke right? Michael Dell is trying to bring us to a Brave New World and all of its customers will be Epsilons, but those who buy Macs are Alphas, right? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.