PDA

View Full Version : MBA 11'' 2G/64Gig

mofoliar
Dec 5, 2011, 02:10 PM
Ok i bought this nice mba 11" on BF.. working great... i was thinking of upgrading the hard drive to 128 or even 256gb.... I was just wondering if it would be worth the upgrade to just go exchange and get the 128gb with the 4G ram perk? I just surf the internet and mord process and sometimes iphoto maybe interested in movie burning...

I do like the 11" so the 13" is out of the question, i know the 13" has sd slot maybe couple of more usb possibly... but not important...
What is everyone take on it... worth the upgrade ssd or just exchange to for a few hundred more and get the extra ram?

thx

adamtheturtle
Dec 5, 2011, 02:14 PM
It really depends on what you do with your machine and how much the longevity matters to you.

In daily use you can tell how much more RAM would benefit you by opening Activity Monitor (in Application, Utilities) and checking out your Page Outs under the System Memory tab. The lower the better, and if you have more Page Outs than in then there would be a large benefit in having 4 GB of RAM.

Storage depends on how much you use and how much you think you will use.

Remember that with time both storage and RAM requirements increase because of software changes.

palpatine
Dec 5, 2011, 02:17 PM
Ok i bought this nice mba 11" on BF.. working great... i was thinking of upgrading the hard drive to 128 or even 256gb.... I was just wondering if it would be worth the upgrade to just go exchange and get the 128gb with the 4G ram perk? I just surf the internet and mord process and sometimes iphoto maybe interested in movie burning...

I do like the 11" so the 13" is out of the question, i know the 13" has sd slot maybe couple of more usb possibly... but not important...
What is everyone take on it... worth the upgrade ssd or just exchange to for a few hundred more and get the extra ram?

thx

i was quite pleased with the 2gb model until i actually did some heavy lifting. actually, not so heavy. it was just searching through pdfs. but, that crashed the pdfs, and resulted in considerably more page outs than page ins. it was ugly.

i would download istat and see how the 2gb handles some of your heavier processing tasks. if you are seeing lots of page outs, then you may want to upgrade. i really, really wish i could have kept the base model, but pdfs are pretty much at the center of my work, so no chance.

i don't care much about the storage (cloud services and external drives help out there), but i can't stand pinwheels and lags. for that, you need RAM.

johnhurley
Dec 5, 2011, 02:56 PM

thx

If you want to "future proof" your machine at all and help on a potential future resale value I would definitely go for 4 gb of RAM.

Unfortunate that the mba has no real viable alternative than going to apple for fixed size memory configurations ... making it even more important to get the size right before the exchange period is gone.

mofoliar
Dec 5, 2011, 04:39 PM
thx for your opinions, i guess i will do get a time capsle, do a backup and maybe go for the upgraded ram and just be happy with it... more i think about it, its probably worth that xtra $300 to get the 4G ram upgrade version than doin it myself and being stuck with 2G ram...

lc25
Dec 6, 2011, 11:28 AM
Upgraded ram is about the only thing i would recommend, i bought the 128 and considered upgrading the drive but then realised with iCloud and DropBox and cheap USB drives/hard drives there is actually very little point.

jterp7
Dec 6, 2011, 11:37 AM

thx

in theory the ssd is always upgradeable*, but the memory truly isn't. If you're already thinking about it now, just do it. Even with light use I think 4gb is really the minimum for my use.

mofoliar
Dec 6, 2011, 10:16 PM
Thx for all ur guys input again....i am gonna take it back and get the 4gig version w/128gb ssd....in the mean time i am gonna get a time capsule and make a backup of what i have...plus good to have anyways...l love the mba 11"...great size and lightweight....for sure recommend to anyone that wonders how they r.....

Thx again everyone