Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
This might be a silly question but here goes. Is there a way to exclude your songs which are above the 256 bit rate for match? I would like to match all my songs below 256 and exclude my songs above 256 without having two separate libraries. Thanks,

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Currently, no. Match scans your entire library. What you could do is remove the lossless files, run Match and then add them back. (Seems like a PITA to me.)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
What's wrong with matching ALAC? Most of my music (95%) is ALAC and I see Music Match as a last ditch back up (I have been collecting CD's since they were introduced). On your device (iPhone) you either use Music Match or you sync with iTunes. You can't do a combination of both (getting ALAC off iTunes and AAC off Music Match) so if you are going to use your ALAC you will sync.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
What's wrong with matching ALAC? Most of my music (95%) is ALAC and I see Music Match as a last ditch back up (I have been collecting CD's since they were introduced). On your device (iPhone) you either use Music Match or you sync with iTunes. You can't do a combination of both (getting ALAC off iTunes and AAC off Music Match) so if you are going to use your ALAC you will sync.

Ok, if I hear you correctly, I match with my computer and only download the match songs that are under 256. All other songs I leave on my computer as is. Leave match off on my iPad and iPhone and sync directly with my computer. I am only doing match to upgrade my 2000 songs or so that are under 256k. Would this be the best work around?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Ok, if I hear you correctly, I match with my computer and only download the match songs that are under 256. All other songs I leave on my computer as is. Leave match off on my iPad and iPhone and sync directly with my computer. I am only doing match to upgrade my 2000 songs or so that are under 256k. Would this be the best work around?

Yes, that is it and exactly what I did/do.;)

The only difference is I do use Music Match on my iPad so when I travel I can listen to any of my music through my BT system (quality not as important). My iPhone is for serious listening and ALAC synced with iTunes.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Yes, that is it and exactly what I did/do.;)

The only difference is I do use Music Match on my iPad so when I travel I can listen to any of my music through my BT system (quality not as important). My iPhone is for serious listening and ALAC synced with iTunes.

makes sense, thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.