PDA

View Full Version : Apple Camera Connection Kit - Alternatives?

peanutismint
Dec 5, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm looking into getting a camera connection kit to allow me to use USB peripherals/memory cards with my iPad, but I'm a bit concerned with the 'dongle' design.... Obviously it works or Apple wouldn't have decided to ship with that design, but it seems like it would be flimsy or easily snapped off if you happen to bend the dongle away from the ipad while it is inserted.....anyone have any experience with this? I would have thought a cabled version (like the normal Apple connector with a USB socket on the other end) would have made more design sense.... No??

crobbins
Dec 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
I just keep mine in my camera case and take it out whenever I need it. I import the pictures, then take it right back out. I've not had any trouble with it at all..

porcupine8
Dec 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
There are a lot of off-brand connection kits on amazon, including ones that take more than just sd or USB. I have one that cost about $7 and has sd and USB on one dongle, and it works great. Maybe you can find the style you're looking for there?

peanutismint
Dec 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
There are a lot of off-brand connection kits on amazon, including ones that take more than just sd or USB. I have one that cost about $7 and has sd and USB on one dongle, and it works great. Maybe you can find the style you're looking for there?

Did exactly that after I made my original post! :-) So you can confirm they work just like the 30 Apple versions? Looking forward to seeing what I can make work with it! (my Apple keyboard perhaps??)

Dhelsdon
Dec 7, 2011, 01:52 PM
What devices does the USB port support?

Would you have to be jailbroken for best functionality?

peanutismint
Dec 7, 2011, 01:54 PM
What devices does the USB port support?

Would you have to be jailbroken for best functionality?

I don't think you *need* to be jailbroken; I read a few articles (http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/seven_hidden_features_ipad_camera_connection_kit) on several USB peripherals working via the camera connection kit. Check it out!