Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c1402

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I have an iPod touch 3rd gen, and with my birthday coming up soon (January), I was thinking about whether or not to switch to the 4th. I was looking forward to the update in October, but since the only thing that was changed was a new color option, I'm wondering if I should just wait for one.

My 3rd gen does it's job pretty well, but I'm starting to want an upgrade. But, I know that I'll also be disappointed if I buy a 4th gen only to find that it's updated around half a year or so later and that I could have waited it out with my functioning 3rd gen.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, is buying a 4th gen worthwhile or should I could just wait longer with my 3rd gen?

bearsalley34

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2011
USA
Im in the same boat as you exempt I have a 2G. It works fine so I am probably going to wait until the next update, when ever that is.

GeniusJon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Canada
Even if you wait, there won't be too much change in the next generation iPod touch if you really think about it. It might get the A5 and some other stuff, but does an iPod really need a dual core processor?

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
Even if you wait, there won't be too much change in the next generation iPod touch if you really think about it. It might get the A5 and some other stuff, but does an iPod really need a dual core processor?

He's right. There isn't much you can add to the current gen iPod. It already a big leap ahead of the 3G as it has the retina display, cameras, A4 chip, and it's super thin. So you won't be disappointed with it. It would a be a big upgrade to you.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Another manner of upgrade for an iPod Touch is an iPhone (for example a used iPhone 4).

super michael

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Any chance for a Ipod touch 5g? Because if we compare

Ipod touch 1st gen = Iphone 1
Ipod touch 2nd gen = Iphone 2
Ipod touch 3rd gen = Iphone 3
Ipod touch 4th gen = Iphone 3GS
None Ipod touch = Iphone 4
None Ipod touch = Iphone 4S

The Ipod touch has been getting way behind the Iphone lately. I hope that if there is a new Ipod touch, it be as good as the Iphone 4. I don't expect it to be as good as Iphone 4s.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Any chance for a Ipod touch 5g? Because if we compare

Ipod touch 1st gen = Iphone 1
Ipod touch 2nd gen = Iphone 2
Ipod touch 3rd gen = Iphone 3
Ipod touch 4th gen = Iphone 3GS
None Ipod touch = Iphone 4
None Ipod touch = Iphone 4S

The Ipod touch has been getting way behind the Iphone lately. I hope that if there is a new Ipod touch, it be as good as the Iphone 4. I don't expect it to be as good as Iphone 4s.

iPod touch 4 came with iPhone 4 ( retina display, FaceTime camera).

super michael

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
iPod touch 4 came with iPhone 4 ( retina display, FaceTime camera).

I guess I made a mistake in the list, although I don't know what mistake I did.

Ok so Ipod touch 4 = Iphone 4, but no Ipod touch = Iphone 4s.

I hope if there is a ipod touch 5th gen, then it equal Iphone 4s.

Correct me if I am wrong, since I haven't used Iphones.

Iphone 4s > Iphone 4 > Ipod touch 4 > Iphone 3gs > Iphone 3 > Ipod touch 3 > Iphone 2 > Ipod touch 2 > Iphone 1 > Ipod touch 1.

Its nothing accurate, its just my guess. But if I am correct then a hypothetical Ipod touch 5th gen > Iphone 4s or Iphone 4.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
I would not wait a whole ~10 months for another itouch to come out. If you look at super michael's chart thing he made, Itouches have been coming out with the next generation of iphone (e.i. when a new number is added). And the next gen iphone aint comin out anytime soon.
Also, if you recall, teh 3GS came out 6 months after the 3G. And no itouch came out with that. then 6 months later the 4G came out with a 4G itouch. Then 1 year later 4GS with no itouch. It is kinda like they just elongated their release of teh 4GS to probably perfect Siri. And probably next year we will get Iphone 5, and itouch 5.

super michael

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Well seeing that I know the correct information better now I update my chart

Iphone 1 = Ipod touch 1st gen
Iphone 2 = Ipod touch 2nd gen
Iphone 3 = Ipod touch 3rd gen
Iphone 3gs = No new Ipod touch
Iphone 4 = Ipod touch 4th gen
Iphone 4S = No new Ipod touch

So it might be possible in 2012

Iphone 5 = Ipod touch 5

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Another manner of upgrade for an iPod Touch is an iPhone (for example a used iPhone 4).
This.

Before the iPhone 4S was released, I managed to pick up an iPhone 4 32GB w/bad ESN ($210 in mint condition) specifically to be used as an "iPod Touch Pro". Although it can't be activated on Verizon (due to the bad ESN) every function not-phone related that can be done by an iPod Touch can be done on this iPhone, only better.

But a bit of a warning... be patient. Be diligent. (It took me nearly 3 weeks of watching every auction) Since there was no upgrade to the iPod Touch this Fall, many have flocked to CraigsList and eBay looking to do the same thing. This has resulted in higher prices and winning bids.

I highly recommend this option.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Well seeing that I know the correct information better now I update my chart

Iphone 1 = Ipod touch 1st gen
Iphone 2 = Ipod touch 2nd gen
Iphone 3 = Ipod touch 3rd gen
Iphone 3gs = No new Ipod touch
Iphone 4 = Ipod touch 4th gen
Iphone 4S = No new Ipod touch

So it might be possible in 2012

Iphone 5 = Ipod touch 5

Your confusion comes from the fact that there never was an "iPhone 1" or "iPhone 2". There was an original iPhone, just called "iPhone".

Initially it came in 4GB and 8GB. Then the 4GB version was dropped and the 16GB version was added, but it was still generally considered to be the same "generation". This was followed up directly by the "iPhone 3G".

So the rough equivalence is as follows:

iPhone = iPod touch 1.
iPhone 3G = iPod touch 2.
iPhone 3GS = iPod touch 3.
iPhone 4 = iPod touch 4.
iPhone 4S = no equivalent iPod touch.

OP:
There is some speculation that a new model may never come, but even if it does come, most agree that it wouldn't come before September 2012 at the earliest. If you are satisfied with what your 3rd generation iPod touch can do, then by all means wait. On the other hand, if you think you're currently being held back by a lack of retina display resolution, FaceTime, and a somewhat slower CPU, then you may as well upgrade now.

Last edited:

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
Your confusion comes from the fact that there never was an "iPhone 1" or "iPhone 2". There was an original iPhone, just called "iPhone".

Initially it came in 4GB and 8GB. Then the 4GB version was dropped and the 16GB version was added, but it was still generally considered to be the same "generation". This was followed up directly by the "iPhone 3G".

So the rough equivalence is as follows:

iPhone = iPod touch 1.
iPhone 3G = iPod touch 2.
iPhone 3GS = iPod touch 3.
iPhone 4 = iPod touch 4.
iPhone 4S = no equivalent iPod touch.

OP:
There is some speculation that a new model may never come, but even if it does come, most agree that it wouldn't come before September 2012 at the earliest. If you are satisfied with what your 3rd generation iPod touch can do, then by all means wait. On the other hand, if you think you're currently being held back by a lack of retina display resolution, FaceTime, and a somewhat slower CPU, then you may as well upgrade now.

Hmm interesting
I never knew there was no Iphone 2G

But i do not support your statement that teh 4G itouch is slower than teh 3g.
That is basically saying that the Iphone 4G is slower than teh 3GS since both teh touch and the phone share teh same processor. The itouch 4g is significantly faster than the 3g.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Hmm interesting
I never knew there was no Iphone 2G

But i do not support your statement that teh 4G itouch is slower than teh 3g.
That is basically saying that the Iphone 4G is slower than teh 3GS since both teh touch and the phone share teh same processor. The itouch 4g is significantly faster than the 3g.

I said the exact opposite. (Well, I intended to say the exact opposite, but I can see how it might have been confusing.)

I said:
myself said:
On the other hand, if you think you're currently being held back by a lack of retina display resolution, FaceTime, and a somewhat slower CPU, then you may as well upgrade now.
That was intended to be interpreted as:
If you feel that you're currently held back by the current deficiencies of the iPod touch 3, such as...
- A lack of retina display, and
- A lack of FaceTime, and
- A slightly slower processor
...Then go ahead and upgrade to the iPod touch 4 (where all these deficiencies are addressed).

Appleboy3

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
I have an iPod touch 3rd gen, and with my birthday coming up soon (January), I was thinking about whether or not to switch to the 4th. I was looking forward to the update in October, but since the only thing that was changed was a new color option, I'm wondering if I should just wait for one.

My 3rd gen does it's job pretty well, but I'm starting to want an upgrade. But, I know that I'll also be disappointed if I buy a 4th gen only to find that it's updated around half a year or so later and that I could have waited it out with my functioning 3rd gen.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, is buying a 4th gen worthwhile or should I could just wait longer with my 3rd gen?

the ipod touch 5 is probably coming out in june-october and its probably going to be a pretty great update, so if ur willing to wait till then, t will be worthwhile. myself, i sold my ipod touch 2g in october and i sort of want to wait but i cant. lol, watch, when the 5g comes out im gonna wish i waited. but thats what apple is good at, making you want the new one each year. good luck

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Get the 4 then sell it when the 5 is announced. If you keep it in good shape you should get back 80% of what you spent.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
I said the exact opposite. (Well, I intended to say the exact opposite, but I can see how it might have been confusing.)

I said:

That was intended to be interpreted as:
If you feel that you're currently held back by the current deficiencies of the iPod touch 3, such as...
- A lack of retina display, and
- A lack of FaceTime, and
- A slightly slower processor
...Then go ahead and upgrade to the iPod touch 4 (where all these deficiencies are addressed).

Oh, my bad, srry.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011

I'd wait with your 3rd gen because next year will hopefully bring the well refreshed 5th gen.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK

Sure it does! If you want to play games (as many people do), games that are been changed to work better on the A5 processor since the 4S was launched, play very jerky now on the iPod Touch 4G. But I don't think you'll be getting the A5 processor in an iPod Touch until the fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.