Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mechanicallion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for how best to create a holiday screen saver on the ATV while playing music through iCloud. I have the ATV currently running through a Yamaha sound bar and was initially planning on turning the TV off (since it's not used for sound). However, the ATV goes into sleep when I do this. I tried searching for Christmas/Holiday on flickr but one of every ten photos was random. I appreciate the help/ideas in advance.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I believe the Apple TV no longer goes to sleep when playing music via the optical out when running the latest firmware, 4.4.3.

mechanicallion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Does the optical digital out on the ATV override HDMI? I think I have an old optical cable lying around somewhere, so I'll have to experiment. Thanks for the help.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I think the Apple TV can output to both HDMI and optical at the same time. I could be wrong, its been a while since I tried.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I set up an album in iPhoto with a bunch of Christmas/winter photos and images. I also scan in Christmas cards and add them. I found a bunch of Christmas movie posters and included them, too. I then sync that album to my ATV and select it as my screensaver.

I should point out I'm using an ATV1. I assume it would work the same with an ATV2.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I think the Apple TV can output to both HDMI and optical at the same time. I could be wrong, its been a while since I tried.
It can. Mine goes HDMI to the TV and optical to the surround receiver. Both play at same time.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Because i have a very large photo library in iPhoto, I actually have created a separate library titled "Apple TV Screensavers" with multiple albums in there. From Christmas, to Actors Faces, Movie Covers, Beach Scenes and several other. I just pick the album I want depending on the occasion. Obviously, its an ongoing thing that grows with time.

Having it as a separate library when your main iPhoto library is 42Gig makes it a fast load for the ATVs. The screensaver kicks in 2mins after I start a playlist!:D

gloomcookie1

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I set up an album in iPhoto with a bunch of Christmas/winter photos and images. I also scan in Christmas cards and add them. I found a bunch of Christmas movie posters and included them, too. I then sync that album to my ATV and select it as my screensaver.

I should point out I'm using an ATV1. I assume it would work the same with an ATV2.

That's pretty slick. That's a very neat thing to do with the Christmas cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.