PDA

View Full Version : Possible to convert MBA SSD into 2.5" form factor?

cathyy
Dec 6, 2011, 01:14 AM
Okay I'm receiving a 64GB 2nd hand MBA pretty soon. I'm considering buying a 128GB SSD and replacing it with that.

I was wondering, can I take the 64GB SSD and converting it into a 2.5" form factor, then putting it into another computer or something? Like my MBP or my desktop?

Thanks

tom vilsack
Dec 6, 2011, 01:47 AM
here you go

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/other_world_computing_releases_external_enclosures_for_macbook_air_ssds/

cathyy
Dec 6, 2011, 02:20 AM
This is external though. I'm looking for a way to put it in internally.

tom vilsack
Dec 6, 2011, 02:30 AM
the link said...

"Prior to today’s announcement there were no consumer-grade options for utilizing the MacBook Air’s unique form factor SSD outside of the computer"

inside? guess anythings possible

cathyy
Dec 6, 2011, 02:36 AM
Other World Computing (OWC) announced Thursday morning the immediate availability of two external hard drive enclosures for 2010 and 2011 MacBook Air Solid State Drives.

Sorry, not what I'm looking for :(

tersono
Dec 6, 2011, 02:49 AM
Okay I'm receiving a 64GB 2nd hand MBA pretty soon. I'm considering buying a 128GB SSD and replacing it with that.

I was wondering, can I take the 64GB SSD and converting it into a 2.5" form factor, then putting it into another computer or something? Like my MBP or my desktop?

Thanks

Nope. The MBA's SSD is a fitting unique to that computer - it can't be fitted to anything else, with the exception of OWC's external casing posted earlier.

ZipZap
Dec 7, 2011, 05:08 AM
That OWC case is junky as well:

1. Too dam big
2. SSD bowed once mounted
3. Bowing made it finiky when connecting
4. WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY over priced.