Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VintageRetro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Hi guys

Not sure if anyone has ever posted on here about this issue, I've searched and found nothing.

I run a 13" Macbook (white) with OSX 10.5.8 and I'm having an intermittent (but regularly occurring) problem with my volume controls to the left of the eject button on the keyboard.

All of a sudden the volume control locks up, I cannot increase or decrease the volume with those buttons but on screen the volume control visualization graphic still goes up and down. I hear the sound effect but it remains at a constant level rather than getting quieter or louder with the matching volume level.

I first noticed it after using my mini DVI to HDMI (male to male) cable for the first time and since then it happens quite regularly and spontaneously, usually without the mini DVI cable plugged in. I have to restart my Macbook which corrects the problem but it reoccurrs afterwards without warning. I have noticed that it never locks when I'm using it, only after sound has finished. I connect my stereo to the headphones output with an RCA to 3.5mm jack on a daily basis as I like to have my music through my stereo while working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys
Simon

moody.tek

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Same problem here, Macbook Unibody (white) mid 2010, running 10.6.8

I am also using MiniDisplayPort to HDMI connector to connect external display and a 3,5mm jack to connect speakers, however, problem started to appear just a month ago, or so.

My only solution is to repeately plug and unplug speakers audio connector few times, and after that, I am able to adjust volume again, but it is surely quite frustrating..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.