Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I'm about to sell my old MBP and move to my new MBP. Before selling the old one, I'll wipe the old HDD - including the Bootcamp partition.

Now I have a bunch of dictionaries on the Bootcamp partition that won't work on OS X and no longer have the install CDs for them (don't worry - they were installed from original CDs and no longer require the latter once installed). I would obviously NOT like to lose this Bootcamp partition specifically because of these dictionaries.

My question is: is it possible to make a cloned bootable Bootcamp partition on my external HDD with Winclone? (the external HDD I'm using is already formatted to NTFS, by the way)

So my idea is once I wiped my old MBP HDD and cloned the Bootcamp partition onto my external HDD, I could boot into the cloned Bootcamp partition on the external HDD.

Does Winclone offer this option?

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I'm about to sell my old MBP and move to my new MBP. Before selling the old one, I'll wipe the old HDD - including the Bootcamp partition.

Now I have a bunch of dictionaries on the Bootcamp partition that won't work on OS X and no longer have the install CDs for them (don't worry - they were installed from original CDs and no longer require the latter once installed). I would obviously NOT like to lose this Bootcamp partition specifically because of these dictionaries.

My question is: is it possible to make a cloned bootable Bootcamp partition on my external HDD with Winclone? (the external HDD I'm using is already formatted to NTFS, by the way)

So my idea is once I wiped my old MBP HDD and cloned the Bootcamp partition onto my external HDD, I could boot into the cloned Bootcamp partition on the external HDD.

Does Winclone offer this option?

Sorry no relevant information on winclone.

If I were you I would keep the current drive and put in a replacement hard drive ( reinstall os on the replacement ) and also get an external drive caddy of some kind ( thermaltake etc ).

I would also backup current drive windows partition by something like Norton Ghost and/or windows system imaging utility ( if you are on win 7 ). I think disk utility in mac os x can also make a copy ( disk image ) but think there are some issues with getting that bootable. Acronis also has windows imaging software but no experience on that recent Norton Ghost works pretty well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.