PDA

View Full Version : Apple Loses Chinese Lawsuit Against Proview Technology Over 'iPad' Trademark

MacRumors
Dec 6, 2011, 10:51 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/06/apple-loses-chinese-lawsuit-against-proview-technology-over-ipad-trademark/)

Financial Post reports (http://business.financialpost.com/2011/12/06/apple-to-lose-ipad-trademark-in-china-report/) that Apple has lost a lawsuit it had filed against Chinese company Proview Technology alleging infringement of the "iPad" trademark. At stake in the dispute is ownership of the Chinese "iPad" trademark itself, which Proview registered for in China back in 2000. The company threatened to sue Apple (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/27/apple-accused-of-ipad-trademark-infringement-in-china/) last year amid failed negotiations, pegging the value of the trademark at $800 million.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/ipad_2_china.jpg

As today's report notes, Apple purchased the European rights to the "iPad" trademark from Proview's parent company last year for just $55,000 and filed its suit against the Chinese subsidiary earlier this year with claims that the European deal also included the Chinese rights. Proview's Chinese arm has since sued Apple for $1.6 billion.Apple purchased the European rights to the iPad name from Proview's global parent last year for about $55,000 and filed an infringement lawsuit against the Shenzhen subsidiary six months ago, claiming the European deal also included China. While Tuesday's reported ruling suggests China's legal system does not agree, Apple officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.It is unclear exactly what the next steps will be in the dispute and whether there is an appeals process in place beyond today's ruling. Alternatively, Apple may have to continue working toward a settlement with Proview's Chinese arm or refrain from using the iPad name in China.

Article Link: Apple Loses Chinese Lawsuit Against Proview Technology Over 'iPad' Trademark (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/06/apple-loses-chinese-lawsuit-against-proview-technology-over-ipad-trademark/)

D4F
Dec 6, 2011, 10:52 AM
Should I say... ooops??

eNcrypTioN
Dec 6, 2011, 11:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Should I say... ooops??

lol poor apple but this company has had the name since 2000

jmthigpen
Dec 6, 2011, 11:07 AM
Apple should just bite the bullet..pay them and end the dispute.

*LTD*
Dec 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
Lovely.

Knock-off junk-ware bearing the "iPad" name in a major market. :rolleyes:

eawmp1
Dec 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
lol poor apple but this company has had the name since 2000

Ah, the joys of the global economy with national laws affecting commerce.

In the U.S., one cannot squat on a name. Unless a company has actively used the name in a product, one would not usually be able to claim harm and collect damages. I am not familiar with the laws in China, however.

Simplicated
Dec 6, 2011, 11:23 AM

In the U.S., one cannot squat on a name. Unless a company has actively used the name in a product, one would not usually be able to claim harm and collect damages. I am not familiar with the laws in China, however.

Wait... There's laws in China? :rolleyes:

reefoid
Dec 6, 2011, 11:28 AM

Except they're not squatting. They produced iPad PC's in the Asian market.

Looks like they got a bargain with the EU trademark, the Chinese one is going to be quite a bit more expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

tonkaxxtuph
Dec 6, 2011, 11:29 AM
Apple should throw it's hat into a trade war proposal with China.

gkpm
Dec 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
"Apple Inc bought the trademark rights in Europe and other places from Proview Taipei, but Proview Technology (Shenzhen) Co Ltd still held the iPad trademark in China.
Li said the two sides had been negotiating the trademark issue at the beginning of this year, but later Apple quit the talks as Proview International became trapped in a debt crisis and its assets were frozen by eight banks. [...]

The eight banks are Bank of China, China Minsheng Bank, China Development Bank, Guangdong Development Bank, Bank of Communications, Shanghai Pudong Development Bank, Hua Xia Bank and Ping An Bank."

Sounds like that trademark is the only thing of value Proview owns and the banks are the ones chasing this.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2010-10/27/content_11466712.htm

something3153
Dec 6, 2011, 11:59 AM
Lovely.

Are you saying Proview shouldn't be able to use a name they registered well over half a decade before Apple wanted it?

christophermdia
Dec 6, 2011, 12:03 PM
I would go in and sue the government for all the counterfeit apple stores, for not being able to control it. And if that didnt work, I would just decide not to sell ipads in china....watch how fast they change their mind....

*LTD*
Dec 6, 2011, 12:07 PM
Are you saying Proview shouldn't be able to use a name they registered well over half a decade before Apple wanted it?

All I'm saying is that house will bring the neighbourhood property value down. No one says you aren't allowed to do that, though.

eawmp1
Dec 6, 2011, 12:09 PM
I would go in and sue the government for all the counterfeit apple stores, for not being able to control it. And if that didnt work, I would just decide not to sell ipads in china....watch how fast they change their mind....

Cutting off one's nose to spite one's face comes to mind.

smulji
Dec 6, 2011, 12:39 PM
Apple should just bite the bullet..pay them and end the dispute.

No Apple shouldn't just go and pay them money. They should push this as far as it can go. The iPad is major international brand as far as products go and is only associated with Apple.

Apple should stand its ground.

nagromme
Dec 6, 2011, 12:43 PM
If Proview owns the name, they own the name. They chose a name—after Apple started using i names, but before the iPod, it seems—that turned out to have value; and Apple chose a name with the potential for some expense! I still think they chose well.*

I remember that Apple had to call AirPort AirMac in some countries. So be it, but I think they’ll settle in the iPad case.

* Flashback to when the 8-year olds were snickering about Apple using the word “pad,” because they forgot that a million tech products were already called “pads”: mouse pads, keypads, trackpads, gamepads, DDR pads, numeric pads, wrist pads, chair pads, and the PADD tablets on Star Trek! And pad thai. Mmmmm... pad thai....

Cartaphilus
Dec 6, 2011, 12:46 PM
Uh oh. It looks as if when it comes to IP protection Apple may have a chink in its armor. There is a simple solution though, and I'm surprised that Apple's usually adroit marketing department didn't think of it. Just call the Chinese version of the product the "iPaddy". Problem solved.

coder12
Dec 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
Uh oh. It looks as if when it comes to IP protection Apple may have a chink in its armor. There is a simple solution though, and I'm surprised that Apple's usually adroit marketing department didn't think of it. Just call the Chinese version of the product the "iPaddy". Problem solved.

Bad choice of words for this thread? :eek:

Kabeyun
Dec 6, 2011, 01:24 PM
Interesting; China permits an intellectual property free-for-all (movies, technology, even branding) yet everyone else has to play by the rules. Not exactly a level playing field.

Nonetheless, no matter what happens next this will not end in an injunction against Apple selling iPads in China. Not before pigs grow wings. Too much profit for everyone.

----------

Bad choice of words for this thread? :eek:

Ooh, you went there.

whooleytoo
Dec 6, 2011, 01:33 PM
Lovely.

That's harsh... I wouldn't call the iPad 2 junk-ware

:p

gorjan
Dec 6, 2011, 01:35 PM
That's harsh... I wouldn't call the iPad 2 junk-ware

:p

Haha.. Would be fun if Apple actually had to pay, equally as others have to pay to them for using knock-off iBlah-names. :D

whooleytoo
Dec 6, 2011, 01:41 PM
Haha.. Would be fun if Apple actually had to pay, equally as others have to pay to them for using knock-off iBlah-names. :D

The funny thing is - Apple has a lot of history of this; either copying, buying, or being sued & settling for - other peoples' trademarks. IIRC "Classic", "iPhone" and "iOS" were all in use before they became Apple trademarks. Hell, even the name & logo of the company itself were the subject of legal disputes for several years.

mjoshi123
Dec 6, 2011, 03:40 PM
No Apple shouldn't just go and pay them money. They should push this as far as it can go. The iPad is major international brand as far as products go and is only associated with Apple.

Apple should stand its ground.

Love the fanboyism here, when shoe is on different foot it is hard to handle for people. What is point in doing trademark if anyone can use any name, could I start a company by name Apple and start selling whatever I want too ? No Apple will go after me for that. It is same thing, no matter how small the company is when it comes to laws you need to apply it equally. Technically speaking Apple doesnot have ground here except negotiating settlement. Either Apple should settle with company or stop selling its product in China under name of iPad. Afterall for iPhone they did settle with others in past.

Rocketman
Dec 6, 2011, 03:48 PM
File in Europe to get a ruling the rights also apply to the Chinese subsidiary?

That would at least lean against the current ruling against Apple. It was a tactical error to file in China first since they are adverse to all US interests generally. Hence the real and actual risks to having Chinese suppliers and investments since property rights of foreign entities are regularly forsaken without notice.

China should fix that.

IF Apple ever sells an iPad in China they will simply have to change the name, and they should shift all iPad final assembly out of China ASAP.

Rocketman

vonWachtstain
Dec 6, 2011, 04:00 PM
I am very anti China. I hate how world treats them with kid gloves. Bastards can do anything they want and our government have to let them so we don't offend them or God forbid embarrass them. Apple should just get better lawyers. Its not like China is famous for protecting trading laws. They shamelessly copy anything they can put their hands on. How many of you seen iphone clones? Or clothes "NICE" "ADIDOS" "PUMO"?

Consultant
Dec 6, 2011, 04:16 PM
If Proview owns the name, they own the name. They chose a name—after Apple started using i names, but before the iPod, it seems—that turned out to have value; and Apple chose a name with the potential for some expense! I still think they chose well.*

I remember that Apple had to call AirPort AirMac in some countries. So be it, but I think they’ll settle in the iPad case.

* Flashback to when the 8-year olds were snickering about Apple using the word “pad,” because they forgot that a million tech products were already called “pads”: mouse pads, keypads, trackpads, gamepads, DDR pads, numeric pads, wrist pads, chair pads, and the PADD tablets on Star Trek! And pad thai. Mmmmm... pad thai....

1998: iMac revitalized Apple
1999: iBook introduced by Apple

BiscottiGelato
Dec 6, 2011, 04:27 PM
I am very anti China. I hate how world treats them with kid gloves. Bastards can do anything they want and our government have to let them so we don't offend them or God forbid embarrass them. Apple should just get better lawyers. Its not like China is famous for protecting trading laws. They shamelessly copy anything they can put their hands on. How many of you seen iphone clones? Or clothes "NICE" "ADIDOS" "PUMO"?

Maybe you should study a little bit of history before you speak? The rest of the world have done whatever they want against China for over 100 years.

Notably, the Europeans back then have banned Opium domestically, knowing the drug's bad effects. Yet, the European countries were exporting Opium into China for profit like crazy.

When the Chinese government enact laws to outlaw Opium imports and tracking down pirate smuggling Opium into China what happened? The Opium War! Multiple European countries ganged up on China, some 8 countries against 1, enacting unequal treaties, seizing lands and making sure that Opium profits will continue to flow. Between that and Japanese invasion during WW2, China took 100 years to recover, and is recovering still.

Now, China is trying to play the western game as the west have called for it. Yet you are saying the West, especially Apple of all, with billions in the bank should not respect Chinese IP Laws just because it does not serve their interest?

Now onto why China is ruling against Apple, but rather slow against thousands of small shops faking Apple products... Well I'd think that it's justifiable. The Apple trademark case is worth billions and requires little man-power. All that's involvde is probably a judge or two or whatever their legal proceeding requires? Hunting down the thousnands of fake Apple shops, which is valued at, at the maximum, hundreds of thousands of dollars is comparitively a much less effecient use of resource. It will require police to hunt, procecuters from the state, along with whoever needed from the justice side of things.

Amazing Iceman
Dec 6, 2011, 04:28 PM
Apple may need a new chinese CEO to fix this.
The chinese government could care less about this, favoring its own people.
As a huge example, the many fake Apple Stores found all over China are still in business, apparently protected by the authorities.

vonWachtstain
Dec 6, 2011, 04:36 PM
Maybe you should study a little bit of history before you speak? The rest of the world have done whatever they want against China for over 100 years.

Notably, the Europeans back then have banned Opium domestically, knowing the drug's bad effects. Yet, the European countries were exporting Opium into China for profit like crazy.

When the Chinese government enact laws to outlaw Opium imports and tracking down pirate smuggling Opium into China what happened? The Opium War! Multiple European countries ganged up on China, some 8 countries against 1, enacting unequal treaties, seizing lands and making sure that Opium profits will continue to flow. Between that and Japanese invasion during WW2, China took 100 years to recover, and is recovering still.

Now, China is trying to play the western game as the west have called for it. Yet you are saying the West, especially Apple of all, with billions in the bank should not respect Chinese IP Laws just because it does not serve their interest?

Because at the time Opium was the only thing Chinese wanted. To them Europeans were the savages and not the other way around. Read and you will find out how European ships were waiting weeks and months at the time to enter Chinese ports ( i think only 2 were allowing foreigner ships).
But I dont really care. I know one thing I would rather own Japanese made electronics than Chinese made. HUGE difference in quality. Sucks Apple doesn't see it that way.

ed724
Dec 6, 2011, 04:42 PM
Change the name to jPad, next letter, who cares, they'll only be in China. They'll buy them anyway. If that doesn't work, keep on going down the alphabet then start doubling up. How 'bout iiPad 'arrrrr', has a Naval flare to it. :p

BiscottiGelato
Dec 6, 2011, 04:51 PM
Apple may need a new chinese CEO to fix this.
The chinese government could care less about this, favoring its own people.
As a huge example, the many fake Apple Stores found all over China are still in business, apparently protected by the authorities.

What evidence do you have that the fake Apple Stores are 'protected by the authorities'? I thought a few were shutdown by the authorities around the time the Apple Shanghai store was opening up? So at the very least we know they are not 'protected'? At max it'd be that the authorities are not prioritizing the procecution of these fake Apple Stores? Heck, according to Macrumor reports, I think most of these stores were actually selling genuine Apple products.

Besides, from my limited undrestanding of how IP laws work in the Western world, it's up to the IP owner to sue. It's not up to the government to procecute?

I am not saying China is a saint, especially the Chinese government of all things... They definately have plenty of short comings. Tho a lot of the comments against them seems to be rather unfair, unfounded or at least lacks seriously in evidence. While people are crying foul at China for their alleged double standards, maybe they should really check and see if they also have some double standards imposed against them?

----------

Because at the time Opium was the only thing Chinese wanted. To them Europeans were the savages and not the other way around. Read and you will find out how European ships were waiting weeks and months at the time to enter Chinese ports ( i think only 2 were allowing foreigner ships).
But I dont really care. I know one thing I would rather own Japanese made electronics than Chinese made. HUGE difference in quality. Sucks Apple doesn't see it that way.

I am sure addicts definately wanted nothing but Opium... I don't think China as a country, the Chinese society and definately the Chinese authorities welcomed Opium... that is until the West imposed war, unequal treaties and bribaries to change how the game was played...

I don't see what's really wrong with limiting trade to a few ports. There was no WTO or Free Trade Agreement back then. Importing Opium, possession and selling was definately against the law back then in China. The Britains kept sending it into China anyways. When China seizes and burns their illegal drug stockpiles DEA styles, the British used the military instead... When that's not enough to crush China, they ally with other European countries... Talk about bullying on an international scale..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_war

I'll take Japanese made Apple products over Chinese made ones any day too... that is if the price is the same... That said, this have absolutely nothing to do with Apple's alleged infringement on Proview's legally obtained Chinese trademark that they have filed back in the year 2000.

Amazing Iceman
Dec 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
What evidence do you have that the fake Apple Stores are 'protected by the authorities'? I thought a few were shutdown by the authorities around the time the Apple Shanghai store was opening up? So at the very least we know they are not 'protected'? At max it'd be that the authorities are not prioritizing the procecution of these fake Apple Stores? Heck, according to Macrumor reports, I think most of these stores were actually selling genuine Apple products.

Besides, from my limited undrestanding of how IP laws work in the Western world, it's up to the IP owner to sue. It's not up to the government to procecute?

I am not saying China is a saint, especially the Chinese government of all things... They definately have plenty of short comings. Tho a lot of the comments against them seems to be rather unfair, unfounded or at least lacks seriously in evidence. While people are crying foul at China for their alleged double standards, maybe they should really check and see if they also have some double standards imposed against them?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/11/us-apple-china-fake-idUSTRE77A3U820110811

Quoting link above:
"Chinese law protects trademarks and prohibits companies from copying the "look and feel" of other companies' stores.
But enforcement is spotty, and the United States and other Western countries have often complained China is woefully behind in its effort to stamp out intellectual property (IP) theft."

As you may already know, every province handles businesses their own way, and some local government may enforce laws more than others.
I know China is working on changing that negative image, and is doing a great job at it in general, still with some spotty issues.

Still, a lot of counterfeit items are made in China, and the authorities don't do enough to stop it.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/11/us-china-iphone-idUSTRE7791UM20110811

theelysium
Dec 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
Total BS

*LTD*
Dec 6, 2011, 08:31 PM
Still, a lot of counterfeit items are made in China, and the authorities don't do enough to stop it.

http://micgadget.com/18694/unibody-macbook-air-knockoff-review/

Shameless.

BiscottiGelato
Dec 6, 2011, 09:22 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/11/us-apple-china-fake-idUSTRE77A3U820110811

Quoting link above:
"Chinese law protects trademarks and prohibits companies from copying the "look and feel" of other companies' stores.
But enforcement is spotty, and the United States and other Western countries have often complained China is woefully behind in its effort to stamp out intellectual property (IP) theft."

As you may already know, every province handles businesses their own way, and some local government may enforce laws more than others.
I know China is working on changing that negative image, and is doing a great job at it in general, still with some spotty issues.

Not trying to give them any excuses... But it is really 1.3 Billion people afterall. Same can be said for authorities in North America that they don't do 'enough', especially for how much they are paid, in cracking down a lot of nasty stuff. As a tax payer, it's never enough~.

----------

http://micgadget.com/18694/unibody-macbook-air-knockoff-review/

Shameless.

It's a knock-off, and marketed as such. Not going to see them exporting it to Best Buy at least.

Same can't be said for the likes of Android and Samsung... And fighting it at the court to the bitter end.

charlituna
Dec 6, 2011, 10:34 PM
As today's report notes, Apple purchased the European rights to the "iPad" trademark

Am I crazy or did I see articles on this very site last year saying that Apple bought the GLOBAL rights from said company.

And it seems after they found out that this IP Application Development or whatever it was called was a front for Apple they suddenly said "that doesn't mean China"

If the agreement says they have world rights and it wasn't the companies to give then that's an issue between the two companies in China not for Apple as they would have signed in good faith. And that is probably the next argument that Apple will toss out into the playing field. At the very least it might end up negating any payments for previous 'infringement' and Apple will just change the name in China like they did for Airport in Japan

Kaibelf
Dec 7, 2011, 09:21 AM
Not trying to give them any excuses... But it is really 1.3 Billion people afterall. Same can be said for authorities in North America that they don't do 'enough', especially for how much they are paid, in cracking down a lot of nasty stuff. As a tax payer, it's never enough~.

Actually, you are trying to give them excuses. They have a lot of people. They also have a lot of police, money, resources, and press exposure, so it's not hard for them to not rip off others. There's a reason every fake POS item is called a "cheap Chinese knock-off" no matter where it's from.

dBeats
Dec 7, 2011, 11:26 AM
It's a simple settlement case. Throw a couple billion around and call it a day. Hoila! iPad in China is Apple's.

I'm usually down on China, but probably for the first time, they seem to have a legitimate case. Next step will be getting people to stop selling Pd on the Chinese grey market. Yeah right THAT'S gonna happen anytime soon.

HelveticaRoman
Dec 8, 2011, 11:07 AM
Can't Apple innovate themselves away from the whole "i" thing. It's getting a little old hat now.

LWONG
Dec 8, 2011, 09:56 PM
I coined the name iPAD a decade ago -- initial of 'Internet Personal Access Device'. The concept of the device is to do away with Windows, Office, Intel CPU, HDD, FDD, ...... It is solely used to access internet by individual who want to read news, get information, read and writte emails, communicate with friends, play games, access to coursewares, ......

toiday
Dec 29, 2011, 09:41 AM

Make no sense... Like your US government is able to control illegal drug, illegal immigration, .... I can't think of anything that any governments able to control.

charlituna
Dec 30, 2011, 12:10 PM
It's a simple settlement case. Throw a couple billion around and call it a day. Hoila! iPad in China is Apple's.

Apple may end up doing just that although they shouldn't have to. It's not their fault that the parent company agreed to sell Global rights and apparently didn't detail that that doesn't mean China because they don't have the rights to that area. Then again they are the parent company to the other group supposedly so one would think if they make a deal the deal is made. As a parent company they should have the right to really sell Global and have it mean Global.

Or Apple could just say 'whatever' and change the name in China just like they did when they couldn't say Airport in Japan

Rocketman
Dec 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
Since China doesn't care much about IP rights, they could call it "Samsung Galaxy Tab" (preferably misspelled) for the iPad 1 and "Apple ][" for the iPad 2, and "Apple Love" for the iPad 3. Have some phun with it Apple. Create some buzz. China can use some buzz.

Rocketman

christophermdia
Mar 17, 2012, 08:10 AM
I would tell China to buy Samsungs, and that the iPad is not going to ever be available in China again. Let them enjoy life without Apple products.

thewitt
Mar 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
Except they're not squatting. They produced iPad PC's in the Asian market.

Looks like they got a bargain with the EU trademark, the Chinese one is going to be quite a bit more expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

They never made computers with the iPad name. They make a very poor quality monitor, and never named one of these an iPad either. It's not been used on an actual product.

When Apple purchased the global rights to the name, the Chinese facility was part of a larger company operated out of Taiwan. They held Trademark rights in several countries. They have since split and the Chinese company claims they maintained the trademark in China.

The company itself is on the verge of bankruptcy.

It will be interesting to see Apple's next steps here, but I doubt the ruling will stand.

bobenhaus
Mar 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/06/apple-loses-chinese-lawsuit-against-proview-technology-over-ipad-trademark/)

Financial Post reports (http://business.financialpost.com/2011/12/06/apple-to-lose-ipad-trademark-in-china-report/) that Apple has lost a lawsuit it had filed against Chinese company Proview Technology alleging infringement of the "iPad" trademark. At stake in the dispute is ownership of the Chinese "iPad" trademark itself, which Proview registered for in China back in 2000. The company threatened to sue Apple (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/27/apple-accused-of-ipad-trademark-infringement-in-china/) last year amid failed negotiations, pegging the value of the trademark at $800 million.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/ipad_2_china.jpg)

As today's report notes, Apple purchased the European rights to the "iPad" trademark from Proview's parent company last year for just $55,000 and filed its suit against the Chinese subsidiary earlier this year with claims that the European deal also included the Chinese rights. Proview's Chinese arm has since sued Apple for $1.6 billion.It is unclear exactly what the next steps will be in the dispute and whether there is an appeals process in place beyond today's ruling. Alternatively, Apple may have to continue working toward a settlement with Proview's Chinese arm or refrain from using the iPad name in China.

Article Link: Apple Loses Chinese Lawsuit Against Proview Technology Over 'iPad' Trademark (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/06/apple-loses-chinese-lawsuit-against-proview-technology-over-ipad-trademark/)

How about this interesting link nobody has been aware of since yesterday.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/17/itc-rules-against-apple/

Very interesting.

Cheffy Dave
Mar 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
Love the fanboyism here, when shoe is on different foot it is hard to handle for people. What is point in doing trademark if anyone can use any name, could I start a company by name Apple and start selling whatever I want too ? No Apple will go after me for that. It is same thing, no matter how small the company is when it comes to laws you need to apply it equally. Technically speaking Apple doesnot have ground here except negotiating settlement. Either Apple should settle with company or stop selling its product in China under name of iPad. Afterall for iPhone they did settle with others in past.

Actually, Proview is near Bankrupt, makes nothing, sells nothing, this suit is to draw down Apples coffers, with a frivioless lawsuit, who's only choice of winning, is in the crooked, slanted Chinese courts, in favor of in Country businesses.
If I was Apple, I'd shift product manufacture to Taiwan, Korea, and stick it to the Chinese. they have the $$ power:cool:

LaWally
Mar 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
Actually, Proview is near Bankrupt, makes nothing, sells nothing, this suit is to draw down Apples coffers, with a frivioless lawsuit, who's only choice of winning, is in the crooked, slanted Chinese courts, in favor of in Country businesses.
If I was Apple, I'd shift product manufacture to Taiwan, Korea, and stick it to the Chinese. they have the $$ power:cool:

How is it a frivolous lawsuit? Just because Proview is a little guy, they should give up their rights to what they legally own in China because Apple is bigger than they are?

Proview owns the iPad name in China. Apple did not do its homework when it (thought it) secured rights to the name and it came back to bite them.

Apple could have settled for a lot less a month ago and it's going to cost them a lot more now. It's nice to know that the corporate bully doesn't always win.

Time for Apple to end its obsession with all these made up iWords for it products anyway. I'm tired of every product coming out of Apple as "iWhatever". Shows no originality.

wbeasley
Mar 18, 2012, 06:08 PM
"iPad "

gnasher729
Mar 18, 2012, 07:19 PM
How is it a frivolous lawsuit? Just because Proview is a little guy, they should give up their rights to what they legally own in China because Apple is bigger than they are?

Proview owns the iPad name in China. Apple did not do its homework when it (thought it) secured rights to the name and it came back to bite them.

Apple could have settled for a lot less a month ago and it's going to cost them a lot more now. It's nice to know that the corporate bully doesn't always win.

Time for Apple to end its obsession with all these made up iWords for it products anyway. I'm tired of every product coming out of Apple as "iWhatever". Shows no originality.

Well, there is one "Proview" company that sold the trademarks to Apple, and another "Proview" company that claims they own the trademarks, that they knew nothing about the sale, and they didn't agree to anything. Both companies have the same CEO. :D

So Proview shouldn't "give up their rights" because they "are the little guy", but Proview should stop lying and deliver what they agreed to and what they have been paid for.

MythicFrost
Mar 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
I read that the judge in the Hong Kong case that they won came to the conclusion that Proview Taipei and Shenzhen Proview (the child company) had planned this with another company or two, in order to get a lot of money from Apple.

SandynJosh
Mar 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
There's gotta be a Chinese word that sounds like iPad or means the same thing. Then Apple can use that word within China and everything is good to go.

It won't be long before Proview is no more and Apple can buy the name from the banks for pennies as it no longer has value to anyone within China.