Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stanoefc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I have a MBA 11", 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM and I'm planning to install Xcode on it and just wanted to know;

1) why shouldn't I install it to external HDD
2) why should I install it to SSD?

3) what would you install it on? SSD or external HDD?

Thanks.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
SSD:

1. Any internal drive would be faster than an externally connected HD via USB 2.0(regardless of SSD or HD).
2. External drives should be for data storage only due to the relatively slow speed of USB 2.0 and the fact they can be fairly easily corrupted by drops/liquids/etc (at some point we all forget about them being in our bags and do something stupid with our bag... i.e. get angry and throw it!).

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
There is no reason why you shouldn't if you have space.

The reason people say get an external HDD is because sometimes 64 GB/128 GB just isnt enough for most people, so they use an external HDD. If you have enough space, use the SSD for sure. The speed difference is in a world of its own.

Stanoefc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
So if I install Xcode, how much space will it take up? I won't be using it for iPhone apps, I will only be using it to code C++.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I have a MBA 11", 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM and I'm planning to install Xcode on it and just wanted to know;

1) why shouldn't I install it to external HDD
2) why should I install it to SSD?

3) what would you install it on? SSD or external HDD?

Thanks.

The external HDD will probably operate at a speed 90% slower than the internal SSD. If you are ok with that then put it on an external.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
To be honest most of Xcode has to be on main HD.
I'm not sure if you can install it on external

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Xcode from the Mac App store is 1.81 GB.

Note that this is the compressed size. I checked my "Developer" folder on my hard drive (ie, where XCode 4 and all the includes files and whatnot installs), and it's 7Gb - and I'm quite sure I don't have much "clutter" in there at all, it's pretty much a fresh install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.