Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Just wanted to share my initial thoughts of this case with everyone and show off the pics as well. I picked up the Orange and Foliage colors.

As much as I like bumper style cases to show off the glass back, I wanted a little more protection for the colder temps coming around. Needed something that had top quality grip and some protection. This Magpul field case does exactly that. Offers outstanding grip in a very minimal design. I've seen pics before, put once you get this case on the phone, it's amazingly thin for my taste and adds very little bulk. The sleep/wake buttons and volume buttons are covered (which I prefer since most other cases are too recessed and a pain to get to). They have great tactile feedback with this case. The headphone jack is definitely bigger than say the apple bumper and sgp products. My NuForce and Klipsch headphones fit without problems. Only 3rd party accessories I see not working is the dock connector. Don't use any 3rd party docks so can't confirm that. The camera cutout is also perfect and haven't experienced any washout photos with the orange or foliage colors. The case wraps around the band, so no problems with screen protectors (I have front, back, and side luckylab wraps on). The case also has a nice lay on the table design and would DEFINITELY recommend this case to those interested. For $10, you can't go wrong.

Recap....

Pros: Slim, won't show fingerprints, easy to pocket, perfect cutouts

Cons: Shipping cost (if you order a few like I did, it's not bad I guess :cool:)

Here are the pics, enjoy :D

Attachments

• DSC_0589.JPG
    DSC_0589.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 743
  • DSC_0591.JPG
    DSC_0591.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 468
  • DSC_0593.JPG
    DSC_0593.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 484

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Here are the pics of the orange

Attachments

• DSC_0597.JPG
    DSC_0597.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC_0600.JPG
    DSC_0600.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0601.JPG
    DSC_0601.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 688
  • DSC_0602.JPG
    DSC_0602.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 204

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is any body aware if there is a coverage difference between the executive & field?

I bought the executive but it doesn't come all the way up on the button side & you can still see metal bezel.

sheltem

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Nice photos. I also bought the foliage color for my white iPhone last week. It seems to work well with both white and black iPhones.

Sku11y

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
I have the black field case.

I don't know what is causing it but there is usually moisture between the back and the case, and the top left has warped somehow so it no longer fits properly.

Sent an email to Magpul but they ignored it!

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

First off, nice pics of the Magpul cases, and they are worth every penny. I have the free case that was given out like 6-8 months ago, and it's still my everyday case. I just love them and now I have them in a few different colors, so black, grey, and dark green. I forget what the official names of the colors were, but you know what I'm talking about.

I also have the "sweat" problem, but just take the case off every so often and wipe your phone and the case down, which should be done on a regular basis anyway no matter what case you have.

Sku11y, it's a $10 case, and it's the best case out there at just about any price! I have yet to see the most absolute perfect case that gets no issues or complaints, but I no complaint in regards to Magpul!

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
map, I've got the Foliage on my black 4S too and since I've had it, it's been my go-to case. It really has the best "in the hand" feeling of any case I've tried. It's just the right mix of protection and slimness. And for the price, you can't complain about anything.

You guys that are having the condensation issue, where do you carry your phone? Pants pockets? Shirt pockets? I had one of these on my 3GS and now, obviously, my 4S, and I've NEVER had that happen. My thought is that if you carry it close to your body, maybe that's condensation from your body heat and cool surrounding air? I don't know. All I know is, I've only seen a couple of reports of that and never had it happen to mine.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
map, I've got the Foliage on my black 4S too and since I've had it, it's been my go-to case. It really has the best "in the hand" feeling of any case I've tried. It's just the right mix of protection and slimness. And for the price, you can't complain about anything.

agreed...have been using for a few days now and haven't taken the case off...love the feel and grip of this case

great case for these colder temps creeping in :D

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I keep the phone on my left front pocket and I'm sure the moisture is coming from either my body or the air. Where else would it come from? Lol.
But stilled the best case I have.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
Based on the suggestions here, I too purchased the Field Case for my 4S and it's brilliant.

The material feels great in my hand. If you've used grip tape on a firearm, it sort of feels like a version of that. It just feels grippy and slides in and out of my pocket easily.

It covers all the important bits and the bits over the sleep/wake button & volume controls work well.

Not to mention the best part: the case was only $12 shipped. I purchased it from here if you're interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300631036851

This case is now my daily case and it replaces the Incase Snap Case that was on it before. I'd easily pay $35 for this case, but for $12 it's a no brainer.

PS: Being a firearm enthusiast, having a Magpul case is just icing on the top.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Based on the suggestions here, I too purchased the Field Case for my 4S and it's brilliant.

The material feels great in my hand. If you've used grip tape on a firearm, it sort of feels like a version of that. It just feels grippy and slides in and out of my pocket easily.

It covers all the important bits and the bits over the sleep/wake button & volume controls work well.

Not to mention the best part: the case was only $12 shipped. I purchased it from here if you're interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300631036851

This case is now my daily case and it replaces the Incase Snap Case that was on it before. I'd easily pay $35 for this case, but for $12 it's a no brainer.

PS: Being a firearm enthusiast, having a Magpul case is just icing on the top.

That case on eBay is for iPhone 4 not 4S?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Not sure why this case is so popular...just looking at the pics it is not my cup of tea. But I am very sure it is very protective. Thanks for the photos and review.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Not sure why this case is so popular...just looking at the pics it is not my cup of tea. But I am very sure it is very protective. Thanks for the photos and review.

It seems that way until you lay your hands on one. Its protective, has good grip. The case feels great in your hand. The burnt orange looks great (Im sure others have their fav colors) and the price cannot be beat.

SweetLou122

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
wasnt sold on the look at first, but got one in in flat dark earth. Really like the look on my white 4s, and has a great feel while keeping slimness. Doesnt bubble up front protectors, but also is raised around the edges for that lay on the table design.

The only thing I can complain about is the 7 dollar shipping, and the fact that the site doesnt show the individual colors with. Idk why they don't do that, its not like some of the colors are self explanatory. eg Foliage, flat dark earth

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I have the black and foliage and they are awesome. After seeing the pics of the orange, I had to order one. I got one for $13.29 (free shipping) on ebay. I need to stay away from these forums. :)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
and the fact that the site doesnt show the individual colors with. Idk why they don't do that, its not like some of the colors are self explanatory. eg Foliage, flat dark earth

Actually, the colors are self explanatory for Magpul's regular customers ...

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Really wish they made this with a built-in stand. I love my Magpul too but I like having a stand in my case too. It would be nice if Magpul and ZeroChroms could join forces and create the perfect case (at least for me).

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I picked up a field case in foliage and an executive field case in orange a week or so. Unfortunately I have found that they both completely wash out photos when the flash is used. I'm guessing it has something to do with my white iPhone 4s. I'm disappointed because I really like both cases.

Steve

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I did like my Field case, but once I got my ZooGue, I really never used it again, so I ended up selling it.

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Fitting

I have a black Magpul case on my 4S and the only thing I dislike about it is that over time it's loosened up around the phone clearly showing space between the case and the metal band of the phone. I've also noticed the "sweat" issue recently but it doesn't bother me. It's the fitting that kinda irks me. Looking at it I believe the reason for the loosening is that it doesn't wrap around onto the glass of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.