Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keevill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I've just got myself an MBA 128 GB 11inch and so far delighted with it !
Couple of questions -
What is the best "Office type" app to install ? I don't really want to go the route of MSFT Office 2011 OSX which I understand runs fine but it is rather bloated.
I will need to create documents which will be sent to MSFT users so it should be compatible.
How about LibreOffice ? Or something else ??
I have another question about installing Win but I'll submit a separate thread on that.
Many thanks in advance
-keevill-

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
I have 128GB on my MBA as well. I've used office for mac (Switched to iWork because thats what I like and I don't need to necessarily worry about any compatibility issues), it's not as bloated as you'd expect on that particular size SSD. On a 64GB I'd probably be eyeballing it a bit more, but unless you're trying to carry your whole movie collection, a crap ton of CD's and be able to edit the living hell out of a billion office documents, it's your best option for being able to (relatively) seamlessly send between Windows & OSX.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
just go for iWork. its cheap, its got the compatibility, and is relatively light weight for the MBA, and native mac software too.

matixryder

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Hello,

If I were you, I would pick MS office. I had some compatible issue with iWork before. It is a great experience to work on iWork for example cleaner interfaces, fonts etc.... However, when it comes to college documents, my IWork pages and numbers got problems opening the documents that created by older versions of Microsoft Office programs.

castillo4141

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2011
If compatibility is an issue you should use Microsoft Office, if you want to try some free software app, Libre Office will do the trick as well, it recently got very well optimized, I personally prefer iWork but I don't have to worry about sharing my documents and keeping the formatting, if you can give it a shot it may be worth it.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
if you need compatibility just get office 2011

No, there's compatibility and there's compatibility. For simple, unstructured documents where use of styles (and more importantly, use of a house style) is not required, any office application that will export to Word or Excel should be fine.

I write technical documents to a tightly defined structure (required so we can do things like automate requirements cross referencing or exporting to a test management suite using VBA macros) so I need MS Office 2011. For many users who just need to be able to write the odd letter, news letter, memo and a bit of light reporting, any of the free and no so free office applications will so.

For light office use, I think iWork would be a no brainer, bearing in mind it is cheap and has full Lion/iCloud support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.