Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Hello,

On my 2008 White macbook, after 700 cycles my original battery finally died. So I got a new one (generic, saves $100) and that one did not work; one instant replacement, and it worked fine to begin with.
Did a calibration, but during a full cycle, as the battery drains to 40%, at ~39% the computer shuts off without warning, and the battery indicator has one flashing dot (low-no power).

When I plug in the power adapter and turn on the computer, it shows 0% and charges up normally.

Should I ask for a replacement? Is there anything else I can try before an RMA??

Thanks

PS I have done an SMC reset multiple times. Also battery seems to discharge normally with low power warning if I stop charging at ~30%

Here is my battery info:
Model Information:
Serial Number:
Manufacturer: DP
Device Name: ASMB013
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 102
Hardware Revision: 300
Cell Revision: 100
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 172
Fully Charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5838
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 3
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 2377
Voltage (mV): 10820

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I'm confused, did you end up with a generic battery or an Apple one?

If you have a generic battery and the computer only exhibits random shutdowns on batter power, I would say the next step is to get a legitimate Apple battery. You should never run non-Apple batteries in your Mac.

akad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
I'm confused, did you end up with a generic battery or an Apple one?

If you have a generic battery and the computer only exhibits random shutdowns on batter power, I would say the next step is to get a legitimate Apple battery. You should never run non-Apple batteries in your Mac.

I got the generic one. The only reason being that I need to use the laptop until march/april when I will buy the new macbook pro, and could not justify spending $130 on a $400 (max)-worth macbook (that I am keeping for a few more months).

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Well generic batteries have two things going against them.

1. They are not made by Apple, who has the best handle on how they should be designed (or whoever designed the battery for Apple).

2. They are a race to the bottom in terms of quality, QA, durability, design.

Does the machine randomly power down with the batter removed, running of mains power?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You Are Better Off

with Apple batteries, it's the one thing I won't scrimp on...You have found out the hard way that the extra $100 is worth it.

RAM, yep I'll by from Crucial, but batteries are genuine Apple every time.

Get rid of the generic and buy the real thing.

akad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Well generic batteries have two things going against them.

1. They are not made by Apple, who has the best handle on how they should be designed (or whoever designed the battery for Apple).

2. They are a race to the bottom in terms of quality, QA, durability, design.

Does the machine randomly power down with the batter removed, running of mains power?

I understand both your and madman's concerns with generic batteries, and completely agree.
No, without the battery, the computer will not shut down randomly. My best guess is that the battery processor is not relaying accurate information about the battery's lifespan.

Honestly, I just want a battery that allows me to move the computer from location to location without shutting down the computer immediately (w/ only the power cord). I'm not looking for ultimate portability and original-quality battery life that the macbook came with over 3 years ago.
Is it still not good to buy a generic battery for such purposes given that I will keep the computer for 3-4 more months? The money is not an issue, I just want to be wise and refrain from unnecessary spending.

I tried a PRAM reset and will see what that does (discharging now).

Any more input? I really appreciate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.