Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehomer doh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Sheffield, England
Just been notified by O2 (in UK) that from February next year wifi connections to icloud WILL NOT be covered on my phone plan!
As I am on mobile me, I was going to transfer over to icloud before 'the lights are switched off'. From O2's text it looks like I will be charged for all icloud wifi access which, todate, has been included (free?) in my network plan.
With emails, diary, appointments, calendars etc. automatically using the public wifi networks when I am out and about, I dread to think the cost of such an 'improvement' in user experience :mad:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What plan are you on??

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Sounds like you've misunderstood the text. A carrier can't bill you when you're not on their network. How the hell would they know what wifi network you join?

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
How can o2 bill you if you aren't using their wifi network? do you mean that they will charge for using icloud over their 3g network even if that is within you data allowence?

How did they inform you - do you have the information to share?

thehomer doh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Sheffield, England
I am on O2 simplicity 600 plan.
I was notified by text from O2:

'O2: Just to let you know, from 1 February 2012 The Cloud wifi won't be part of your unlimited wifi anymore. You can still use BT Openzone as usual. And now, O2 Wifi. Go to o2.co.uk/wifichanges to find out more. To stop SMS, text STOP to 81145.'

I can't figure out how it will work?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Had The Same Message

This morning...From February O2 will charge for Cloud services. It's made my mind up about staying with them (I won't now) since I own my phones anyway, I will be going with another provider (Unless they all start charging extra)

The downside is that about half of my regular calls are to friends who are also with O2.

Guess I will have to weigh up the pros and cons of this, but my contract ends at the end of December.

Anybody have any recommendations here in the UK? Tesco have some ridiculously cheap plans, but the rep is poor. Such a hassle changing, but I'll do it on principal if other carriers continue to include the Cloud in their packages.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
This message has nothing to do with Apple or Apples service iCloud.

It is about O2 using The Cloud, which is a BSkyB WiFi network in Europe that a lot of Tecos use to provide data exchange. I interpirt this s O2 is opting out from this service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.