PDA

View Full Version : Massive iPhone Dock Pumps Out Sound With 10,000 Watts of Power

MacRumors
Dec 7, 2011, 12:26 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/07/massive-iphone-dock-pumps-out-sound-with-10000-watts-of-power/)

Behringer (http://www.behringer.com/), a maker of professional audio and music equipment, is launching the world's loudest -- and largest -- iPhone dock. The iNuke Boom is 4 feet tall, 8 feet wide, weighs 700 pounds, and costs $29,999.

The product is real, though the only model in existence will be at Behringer's booth at CES as an attention grabber.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/inuke.jpg

Behringer is using the iNuke to promote its new Eurosound line of consumer products, which will be introduced at CES 2012.

Article Link: Massive iPhone Dock Pumps Out Sound With 10,000 Watts of Power (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/07/massive-iphone-dock-pumps-out-sound-with-10000-watts-of-power/)

jlgolson
Dec 7, 2011, 12:26 PM
No word if it goes to 11.

MasterHowl
Dec 7, 2011, 12:29 PM
Don't think my flatmates would be too pleased if I got one of these :rolleyes:

r2shyyou
Dec 7, 2011, 12:30 PM
Behringer, a maker of professional audio and music equipment

I don't quite agree with this...

chrmjenkins
Dec 7, 2011, 12:30 PM
Waloshin could use one of these to play him narrating his blog for the neighborhood.

the-oz-man
Dec 7, 2011, 12:31 PM
I didn't realize it was April 1st already.

imahawki
Dec 7, 2011, 12:32 PM

What part don't you agree with. Behringer is a pro-audio equipment company. If you're going to dissect the word professional or have some commentary on the quality of their gear or a personal experience... lame.

ouimetnick
Dec 7, 2011, 12:34 PM
Who's going to purchase this? 10,000 watts is an overkill. :roll eyes: $29,999 is slightly out of most people's budget.

Spyriadon
Dec 7, 2011, 12:36 PM
What part don't you agree with. Behringer is a pro-audio equipment company. If you're going to dissect the word professional or have some commentary on the quality of their gear or a personal experience... lame.

Have you used any of there gear?
Its on two ends of the spectrum, most of it is shoddy and hardly gets by, its all entry level stuff.

Then theres the occasional good product from them that tends to be a rip off of another companies bit of gear.

chrmjenkins
Dec 7, 2011, 12:37 PM
Who's going to purchase this? 10,000 watts is an overkill. :roll eyes: $29,999 is slightly out of most people's budget.

It's not an actual product. It's essentially a tech demo for promotion. Kind of how TV makers show 100 inch TVs but never actually sell them.

r2shyyou
Dec 7, 2011, 12:46 PM

You're right, I should've added more than a simple disagreement: everything I've used of theirs has been crap. Total crap. And yes, I do consider myself a bit of a gear snob. I won't hide that fact. I personally don't consider their gear "professional". Maybe pro-sumer at best but not professional.

Its on two ends of the spectrum, most of it is shoddy and hardly gets by, its all entry level stuff.

Then theres the occasional good product from them that tends to be a rip off of another companies bit of gear.

Agreed.

thelatinist
Dec 7, 2011, 12:51 PM

I thought it was a pretty clever way to express his disapproval of their equipment and made perfectly clear what he meant. It's not his fault if you're deficient at recognizing figurative language.

macaddict06
Dec 7, 2011, 12:55 PM
I was looking for a new desk anyway, so this works out pretty well for me. I just hope it has audio in so I can plug in my Walkman and kick some tunes.

RMBittner
Dec 7, 2011, 12:55 PM

I do understand where the OP is coming from. In my experience as a home-studio owner, Behringer makes highly affordable, good gear for home-based recording enthusiasts. It's solid, it's cheap. But I would be *very* surprised to see Behringer gear in any professional recording-studio environment. It's just not at that level.

OTOH, this is clearly just a posting of a Behringer press release, about a one-of-a-kind product for a trade show. Certainly they should be free to describe themselves however they want to in their press releases.

Bob

Vol7ron
Dec 7, 2011, 12:57 PM

Their gear is horrible. everything i bought of theirs died within a year. 2 mixers, eq, feedback destroyer, compressor. All worthless junk. They are def not a pro audio company. More like a want-abe company....

ajones46
Dec 7, 2011, 12:57 PM
this would pair well with the $1000 screen saver iPhone App. Remember that one? Look how rich you are, you can afford an app that does nothing!

Rocketman
Dec 7, 2011, 01:02 PM
On the other hand it got my/your attention. I suspect they would say, "Mission Accomplished."

ThunderSkunk
Dec 7, 2011, 01:02 PM
this is the kind of thing goofball engineers joke about at lunch.

that someone actually did this is a little hilarious and a little awesome.

room237
Dec 7, 2011, 01:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

How practical!!!

ouimetnick
Dec 7, 2011, 01:09 PM
I wonder how many microfarads the filter capacitors are. How many output transistors are there? Did they use a formula to get the 10,000 Watt rating, or find some (say 8Ω if the internal speakers are 8Ω) resistors that could handle 10,000 Watts, inject a 1KHz sine wave, and check for clipping on an oscilloscope?

It could be that BS that Samsung, Sony, and other use in their home theater systems. I'm sorry, but that little amp in that subwoofer has the same change of outputting 1000W as I do. More like 100W total, and 20 watts per channel.

AVChris
Dec 7, 2011, 01:10 PM
hmmm.

Its all about SPL and tonality really. Wattage is irrelevant!

charliex5
Dec 7, 2011, 01:11 PM

I was just going to post the same thing! Behringer makes the cheapest quality gear I have ever used. I bought one of their compressors once and immediately returned it.

I wonder how long it will take for this hunk of junk to break like all their other equipment.

nagromme
Dec 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
This is just like the awesome concept cars at auto shows :( I want one, everyone wants one, we all need one, but they’ll never actually sell it to the public! :mad:

I’ve got a spare room at least 8 feet wide, and I like things that make sounds. But I guess Behringer just wants me to use the space to hoard newspapers :rolleyes: Thanks for nothing.

I guess I’ll have to buy another “me-too” under-four-feet-wide iPhone dock.

Anonymous Freak
Dec 7, 2011, 01:16 PM
The product is real, though the only model in existence will be at Behringer's booth at CES as an attention grabber.

Contradiction. If there's only one, it's not a "product". It's a prototype, or a publicity stunt.

(P.S. To run 10,000 Watts, you'd need to use a 220 Volt circuit with greater than 40 Amps - more than your average electric stove or electric dryer circuit.)

chainprayer
Dec 7, 2011, 01:22 PM
What they're REALLY showing off in this image is the iPhone micro

vincenz
Dec 7, 2011, 01:23 PM
Now to get a big-enough table.

benguild
Dec 7, 2011, 01:23 PM
This image is badly photoshopped.

parish
Dec 7, 2011, 01:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bryan Adams' Waking Up The Neighbours springs to mind :-P

rainbowsofwhite
Dec 7, 2011, 01:29 PM

Totally agree with this comment.

Professional? On what planet?

timd.mackey
Dec 7, 2011, 01:32 PM
Watch the sound waves break the iPhone's glass.

Yvan256
Dec 7, 2011, 01:39 PM
It's not an actual product. It's essentially a tech demo for promotion. Kind of how TV makers show 100 inch TVs but never actually sell them.

All I know is that if they ever make a 2000 inch TV, Weird Al is probably going to buy one.

mrgraff
Dec 7, 2011, 01:43 PM
That's officially the stupidest thing I've ever seen.:)

Dhelsdon
Dec 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
Where's the volume knob?

luxartprodinc
Dec 7, 2011, 01:49 PM

Behringer is the brand that every professional audio engineers avoid at ALL cost. And why would someone spend 30k on a system that doesn't fit in most people environment, when you can get a hell of a good system that also integrates iPhone compatibility for 30k...

NY Guitarist
Dec 7, 2011, 01:59 PM

Sorry, Behringer is know in the "Pro" audio for it's bad build quality, bad sound, and has been sued by many other companies for patent infringement and outright stealing circuit board and product designs, trademark infringement, a huge fine by the FCC ($1M +) for not testing products for certain safety standards and shipped those products for over a year after the fine.

Pure junk with inflated specs. 10k Watts? I call BS.

macaddict06
Dec 7, 2011, 02:03 PM
Where's the volume knob?

It's full on, full time.

With 10,000 Watts, what do you need a volume button for? ;)

Henriok
Dec 7, 2011, 02:04 PM
While this device certainly could be the loudest iPhone dock, it probably isn't the largest. There are cars with built in iDevice docks and they are larger and heavier.

eNcrypTioN
Dec 7, 2011, 02:09 PM

Lol why...

diamond.g
Dec 7, 2011, 02:13 PM
I wonder how many microfarads the filter capacitors are. How many output transistors are there? Did they use a formula to get the 10,000 Watt rating, or find some (say 8Ω if the internal speakers are 8Ω) resistors that could handle 10,000 Watts, inject a 1KHz sine wave, and check for clipping on an oscilloscope?

It could be that BS that Samsung, Sony, and other use in their home theater systems. I'm sorry, but that little amp in that subwoofer has the same change of outputting 1000W as I do. More like 100W total, and 20 watts per channel.

Oh it is possible, us Car Audio guys have been able to produce more power. It just takes a lot of batteries and alternators (with that pesky 14V limitation)... It can't be too much harder to do when you have a much higher starting voltage. Your biggest problem is sustainment of that much power. In Car Audio when voltage sags amperage shoot up like a rocket.

wikus
Dec 7, 2011, 02:16 PM

I didn't agree with that either when Apple released the piece of crap 'iPod Hifi'

xlii
Dec 7, 2011, 02:18 PM
I wonder how many imbeciles this would put out?

Edit: Oops, I meant decibels.

Comeagain?
Dec 7, 2011, 02:19 PM

Lol why...

Because they could.

Berhinger does not make the best quality stuff by FAR. They do however make products that for the price do their job well. They do, however steal from other companies all the time. Their line of amps look and work almost exactly like ASC amps. Their new line of consoles look and operate the same as Mackie. they even have the same spelling errors in the manual as the Mackie.

Anonymous Freak
Dec 7, 2011, 02:23 PM
While this device certainly could be the loudest iPhone dock, it probably isn't the largest. There are cars with built in iDevice docks and they are larger and heavier.

Hell, there are cars with built in iDevice docks that are *SMALLER* than this! :eek:

daxomni
Dec 7, 2011, 02:24 PM
I want one, everyone wants one, we all need one...
I don't want one. I'm also going to go on the record saying nobody needs one.

bassfingers
Dec 7, 2011, 02:31 PM

10,000 watts of Behringer power = ~3,000 watts of Crown power

cshearer
Dec 7, 2011, 02:47 PM
I'll just stick to my Bose surround system for musical entertainment. That thing just looks silly.

CReimer
Dec 7, 2011, 02:51 PM
Does it survive The Overture of 1812 test?

Has to be the version with the real cannon fire. I was at a video game company when the hardware compatibility manager decided to destroy some old speaker by cranking up the volume to max before the cannon fire. An interesting but deafening experience.

maril1111
Dec 7, 2011, 02:56 PM
Must be fun and practical having such a portable iphone dock...

FakeWozniak
Dec 7, 2011, 03:08 PM
Shouldn't it be "10,000 SCREAMING watts of POWER.. Power.. power.."?

DESNOS
Dec 7, 2011, 03:55 PM

HEY! If Jordan says it's for pros, then it's for pros! :rolleyes: Bloggers know it all, after all.

imahawki
Dec 7, 2011, 04:08 PM
I thought this forum was better than that. I thought that comment was about as clever as people who say Crapple computers.

zin
Dec 7, 2011, 04:08 PM
Great. I’ll take five. :D

Fresh Pie
Dec 7, 2011, 04:09 PM
Watch the sound waves break the iPhone's glass.

Congratulations, you just gave away the plot to the next Android phone's commercial.

NorCalLights
Dec 7, 2011, 04:09 PM

Seriously.

Maybe Behringer should spend a little less time making useless promotional displays, and a little more time coming up with unique ideas for their products.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-45960_32_0.html

Navdakilla
Dec 7, 2011, 04:12 PM
wow, useless.. who would actually buy this?

imahawki
Dec 7, 2011, 04:23 PM
Its not an actual product, its a demo unit. There is/will be only one built.

Lostanddamned
Dec 7, 2011, 04:51 PM
I've just discovered the wonderful world of Post Rock too...

carlgo
Dec 7, 2011, 05:28 PM
One of these in my truck, firing maybe four 32" subwoofers... fun to think about. If I pointed the speakers to the rear I could cruise the freeways with the motor off. And nobody would tailgate me.

Porco
Dec 7, 2011, 06:21 PM
10,000? Still not as loud as one that goes to 11. That's one louder.

1goodidea
Dec 7, 2011, 07:22 PM

I've been looking for a dock for my Gran for Christmas (she's a bit deaf).

dweezle3
Dec 7, 2011, 07:41 PM
omg dubstep on this thing....amaaaaaaaaaazing :D

Dec 7, 2011, 07:47 PM
One Word.... Overkill

danahn17
Dec 7, 2011, 07:47 PM

Samsung looks like an innovator compared to Behringer. Behringer's products are far more blatant ripoffs than the Galaxy Tab ever was! :eek:

Well... I'm guessing this will work for one or two shows before it dies... like all Behringer products :o

Although... I have to say... if Back to the Future was made today, I think they might have used this instead of that huge guitar amp :)

BetaZehn
Dec 7, 2011, 08:54 PM
hehe that is nothing

Jean Michel Jarre's AeroDream One is much bigger.. and way more expensive :cool::D:D

http://www.jarre.com/aerodream-one-ipod®-iphone®-dock-speaker

derickdub
Dec 7, 2011, 09:45 PM
I laughed so hard I started to cry after seeing how small the iPod was compared to the thing. I still can't even stop laughing.

And if they sell it, someone WILL buy it.

----------

hehe that is nothing

Jean Michel Jarre's AeroDream One is much bigger.. and way more expensive :cool::D:D

Let me, uhh, climb my ladder to change the song.:D

These things are ridiculous.

AlanShutko
Dec 7, 2011, 09:52 PM
Kind of how TV makers show 100 inch TVs but never actually sell them.

My company has one of the 103" ones. Can't remember which brand.

ahbdesign
Dec 7, 2011, 10:02 PM
one word:

LOL :D

nouveau
Dec 7, 2011, 10:47 PM
Now to get a big-enough table.

Dinner table

damir00
Dec 7, 2011, 11:58 PM
Tons of great music has been performed and recorded with Behringer (and frankly much worse) gear, the stuff may not be the best but it's generally less of a limiting factor than the human using it.

But whatever...it's a pretty cool demo...probably just a whack of 500W PAs under the covers but hey...it all makes sound.

blueroom
Dec 8, 2011, 12:00 AM
Will it fit in my Kia?

afroAnt
Dec 8, 2011, 02:43 AM
Finally something that will wake me up in the morning :D

quasinormal
Dec 8, 2011, 03:18 AM
That $30,000 would be better put towards these at about $48,000 a pair with sub.

http://futuremusic.com/blog/2007/10/05/adam-audio-announce-s7a-mk2-4-way-flagship-monitors-massive-sub2100/

dXTC
Dec 8, 2011, 07:19 AM
hehe that is nothing

Now that's impressive. Love me some JMJ; I can imagine "Oxygène 8" coming out of it right now.

As far as Behringer... well, I'm one of those "pro-sumer" small home studio owners, and I still chose a Peavey RQ200 over any of the Behringer desk mixers. Behringer mixers look just too cluttered.

Sackvillenb
Dec 8, 2011, 07:32 AM
wow... words fail me... I wonder how good it actually sounds lol...

CortoMaltese
Dec 8, 2011, 08:20 AM
This is clever marketing, it will be featured in countless magazines and websites, creating free advertising for the Behringer brand. Of course the product itself is a joke.

Regarding their usual products, indeed not for serious studio work, but they have some interesting tools for a good price that will appeal to those who like to tinker with audio.
For example, like an equalizer (Ultracurve DEQ) that works completely in the digital domain, and that can do auto calibration with many many options. It is interesting to put it between a cd player and a proper d/a convertor. No, it not a Theta device, but fun. I experimented with the previous version. They also have a very configurable all digital active filter, great if you tinker with loudspeaker diy projects.
Finally, for simple podcast needs, their entrylevel usb mixers and microphones can suffice.

sehnsucht77
Dec 8, 2011, 09:11 AM

if you have to ask this question then it is obvious you've never used their equipment or have professional experience with Berry (Behringer nickname in the audio industry) products.

i have had experience using their products and i have had pro audio experience (20 years worth). sorry to rub 'ya the wrong way but his statement is legit unless you work for Berry. a majority of berry stuff is entry level, and you'd be hard pressed to see any of their stuff in a quality recording chain.

30K for an amp pumping out compressed file media? you kidding me?

JuBe
Dec 8, 2011, 12:52 PM
I don't know how difficult this would be to determine, but how many times louder would this be than the iPhone (4S) at full volume? (for comparison's sake)

Kabeyun
Dec 8, 2011, 02:37 PM
No word if it goes to 11.

This needs to get props as one of the best follow-up comments of the year.

kurosov
Dec 8, 2011, 06:19 PM
I'll stick with my ION Tailgater, £100 for a big-ass iPod dock with various inputs and, microphone and a built in 8 hour battery...just needs build in airplay.

Currently got it hooked up to an airport express in the house but i'd love to airplay at the beach for example.

needfx
Dec 9, 2011, 04:57 AM
this thing can accommodate a three piece band on it...

talk about mobility concert-wise

champ01
Dec 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
Boycot Behringer.

Its a F...up company with no shame. They copy everything and don't even try to be original.

Their junk is so poor in quality that if a unit brakes you get a complete new one because repairing it cost 2 much. (only the bcr and bcf are ok)

Save your money and buy something worth buying.

markie
Dec 11, 2011, 01:29 AM
I generally agree with the anti-Behringer statements, but they actually occasionally come up with a very good quality product. Granted, those are the ones where even the internal circuitry is basically photocopied from a good brand. But still...

saxofunk
Dec 11, 2011, 10:18 AM
Behringer is to Pro Audio as airline earbuds are to Pro Audio.

Give me a break.