PDA

View Full Version : Official Xbox Live App Hits the iPad and iPhone

MacRumors
Dec 7, 2011, 02:42 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/07/official-xbox-live-app-hits-the-ipad-and-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/xboxlive.jpg

Microsoft has released an official Xbox Live iOS app (http://kotaku.com/5866048/). The free app, for iPhone and iPad, allows users to:
- Read and send messages to Xbox 360 friends
- Manage your friends list, invite new friends,
- Read and Edit your full LIVE profile (name, bio, motto)
- Change your avatar features/items with the avatar closet
- View and compare your achievement progress with friendsMicrosoft has released a number of iOS apps (http://appshopper.com/search/?searchdev=298856275&sort=name&dir=asc), but with millions of Xbox Live members, this may be the most popular yet.

My Xbox LIVE (http://appshopper.com/games/my-xbox-live) is available for iPhone and iPad free on the App Store. [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-xbox-live/id480914036?mt=8)]

Article Link: Official Xbox Live App Hits the iPad and iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/07/official-xbox-live-app-hits-the-ipad-and-iphone/)

cshearer
Dec 7, 2011, 02:48 PM
Someone let a shrew into the garden. ;)

TheOrioles33
Dec 7, 2011, 02:49 PM
Awesome!

Nevermind! Its not awesome! It wont let me log in. WTF?

ALRIGHT! You have to go to Xboxlive.com and agree to the new terms and all that. Then it works!

Its freaking cool!

ugp
Dec 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
Not working for me... All I get is the following...

http://i54.tinypic.com/167m2qq.jpg

UPDATE: After a few tries it's working now...

tendicott
Dec 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
This is a good app and I would recommend it. It is better than other 360 apps such as iNXE or 360 live. It gives the options of these apps but also goes further as you can now send and receive messages instead of just sending them. Avatars are also in full 3D and move around. Props equipped to an avatar also work. Another cool thing is if you shake your device your avatar falls over. I must say though its a bit weird seeing a Windows Phone 7 UI on an iOS device.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 7, 2011, 02:58 PM

Image (http://i54.tinypic.com/167m2qq.jpg)

I'm getting that error on their regular website too. Both with Safari and Firefox.

pdjudd
Dec 7, 2011, 03:01 PM
I have always had issues with their website on firefox and safari. I find adding :80 to the end of the .com always works well. I don't know why, but it works...

ugp
Dec 7, 2011, 03:03 PM
I'm getting that error on their regular website too. Both with Safari and Firefox.

It's working every time for me now. Very nice App. Very slick I think. Much better than 360 Live. I like how you can watch the Spotlight Videos now. It's very fluid.

saccento
Dec 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Great app!

Foggy
Dec 7, 2011, 03:40 PM
Very very nicely done app

DavidLeblond
Dec 7, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"

Dr Strangelove
Dec 7, 2011, 03:55 PM
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"

These are my sentiments exactly

Wang Foolio
Dec 7, 2011, 04:05 PM

Insightful commentary? On the Interwebs?! Well said, David.

I'm still getting the /shrug error message seen above, but it wasn't even getting that far a second ago. Could just be a traffic thing as they bring the app online. Who knows :p

stomer
Dec 7, 2011, 04:06 PM
Animations are annoyingly slow.

alksion
Dec 7, 2011, 04:15 PM
This is the first time that I have seen Microsoft pulling out original design and smooth UI's in a long. I am definitely more of an Apple fan, but I do welcome all technology. Personally, I do not like Android that much, but I do think Windows Phone 7 is pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

Great little App!

rmwebs
Dec 7, 2011, 04:17 PM

TBH If Windows Phone 7 is like this then they have done a great job, which is quite surprising given the fool who's sadly still in charge of the place.

I'm liking the 'Metro' style - possibly the most innovative design thats ever come out of the Redmond Chocolate Factory!

stridemat
Dec 7, 2011, 04:20 PM
Sweet plug for the writer's gamertag :D Guess he want's to be beaten at MW3!

Moe UK
Dec 7, 2011, 04:28 PM
Very nice app makes me want a windows phone more then anything else. But am i missing something this has no setting in notification centre nor can I see a setting for push notifications?

Micjose
Dec 7, 2011, 04:30 PM
Wow this app is great. If Windows Phone 7 is close to being like this, then i might even consider buying such a device.

neiltc13
Dec 7, 2011, 05:23 PM
This is the first time that I have seen Microsoft pulling out original design and smooth UI's in a long. I am definitely more of an Apple fan, but I do welcome all technology. Personally, I do not like Android that much, bug I do think Windows Phone 7 is pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

Great little App!

Wow this app is great. If Windows Phone 7 is close to being like this, then i might even consider buying such a device.

The UI for this application is basically identical to the entire Windows Phone 7 interface.

Yaboze
Dec 7, 2011, 06:31 PM
This is well made app and I have to get a little cynical here....

MS has to be thinking that if people get a taste of what a Windows phone is like, they may try it or even switch over at one point. There have already been several posts here stating that very fact. Since the phone works just like the app does, it provides a nice tech demo to everyone that has an iPad an iPhone. Brilliant!

Icaras
Dec 7, 2011, 06:56 PM
I don't have an Xbox but I definitely commend Microsoft for making a nice looking app.

I also hope this spurs other companies like Valve, Sony, and Nintendo in creating similar social apps. I've been waiting forever for Valve to create an official Steam App.

liquidsuns
Dec 7, 2011, 11:56 PM
The metro interface on the iPhone screen makes me wish certain things...

DJAKO
Dec 8, 2011, 12:55 AM
Have no idea why this is coming up, nowhere on xbox.com or under my live.com ID do I even see an option mentioning parental control.

http://f.cl.ly/items/2n0N2e0j0a0H441O3A2X/Photo%2520Dec%252008%252C%25201%252051%252001%2520AM.png

jroadley
Dec 8, 2011, 01:31 AM
There must be away to turn off those annoying sound effects each time you press something in the app.

adder7712
Dec 8, 2011, 05:10 AM
Finally?

I'll go ahead and download it...

NekoFever
Dec 8, 2011, 07:28 AM
The app crashes for me every time I try to access my messages or tap on a game to see its achievements. Am I the only one?

OneOkami
Dec 8, 2011, 07:33 AM
The UI for this application is basically identical to the entire Windows Phone 7 interface.

Which is really an expansion of the Zune HD interface. I really think its been a diamond in the rough these past few years (the interface).

Sackvillenb
Dec 8, 2011, 07:34 AM
Well, this will be a handy complement to my xbox... I can send messages and do "xbox live stuff" separately on my iPad while playing my games... Can't wait to try it out!

ProVideo
Dec 8, 2011, 08:27 AM

That is the official character of Microsoft support. His slogan is; "Meh, what are you going to do?"

mw360
Dec 8, 2011, 08:38 AM
Metro looks like a nice touch interface, based on this app, but I'm not enjoying it on the XBox. It's dog slow to navigate especially since they insist on placing 'games' all the way down the list - after all the buzzwords and just before 'preferences'. Stupid. Admit the XBox is a games console!

ryanmcv
Dec 8, 2011, 09:14 AM
This is a very nice app, but it's not without its bugs. Trying to adjust the volume or bring up controls while watching a video seems to crash the app more often than not. I also wish the animations weren't so long. They're cool, but I'd rather get to my content faster.

EmbraceTheOne
Dec 8, 2011, 09:34 AM
If I had to choose between an Android, or Windows Phone 7, I'd definitely going WP7. I've always waned one.
Now I can some-what have one with this app. Very similar to WP7 UI.

Awesome App.

Consultant
Dec 8, 2011, 09:54 AM

This app uses iOS features. So, it's like saying Office on Mac = how Windows run.

Also, all the great apps are on App Store.

budafied
Dec 8, 2011, 10:07 AM
This was perfect timing for me. I hated using the half-assed apps from third parties. The only workable app for iOS that keeps track of my Live friends was Bungie's app.

Now MS releases this and I have an incredibly solid Xbox Live app. Thanks MS!!!

DavidLeblond
Dec 8, 2011, 10:55 AM
This app uses iOS features. So, it's like saying Office on Mac = how Windows run.

Also, all the great apps are on App Store.

Of course it uses iOS features, but the UI of this application works like Windows Phone 7. They were pretty meticulous about it, down to the animations.

DocNYz
Dec 8, 2011, 11:29 AM

Dude I totally agree with everything you just said. At first I was a little confused as to why they'd put this on the competition, but as you said, it's free advertising/demoing for us.

----------

TBH If Windows Phone 7 is like this then they have done a great job, which is quite surprising given the fool who's sadly still in charge of the place.

I'm liking the 'Metro' style - possibly the most innovative design thats ever come out of the Redmond Chocolate Factory!

Yeah I'm loving the Xbox LIVE update, much faster/snappier, less cluttered, and yet more information/options per page. Not to mention how ****ing awesome Roaming Profiles and Cloud Saves are ...

Sweet plug for the writer's gamertag :D Guess he want's to be beaten at MW3!

Haha seriously. Or Halo: Anniversary Edition (also in 3D I might add).

I don't have an Xbox but I definitely commend Microsoft for making a nice looking app.

I also hope this spurs other companies like Valve, Sony, and Nintendo in creating similar social apps. I've been waiting forever for Valve to create an official Steam App.

Seriously Steam should have an app by now. Nintendo probably never will though because iPhone is one of, if not the competitor for 3DS ...

This was perfect timing for me. I hated using the half-assed apps from third parties. The only workable app for iOS that keeps track of my Live friends was Bungie's app.

Now MS releases this and I have an incredibly solid Xbox Live app. Thanks MS!!!

Embarrassingly I didn't know about Bungie's app (had been using 360 Live for years now) but thanks for the suggestion regardless.

whaled09
Dec 8, 2011, 02:01 PM
There must be away to turn off those annoying sound effects each time you press something in the app.

Vibrate Mode. :D

Joe-Diver
Dec 8, 2011, 02:55 PM
Pretty slick! I like it....

ChrisSD
Dec 8, 2011, 03:19 PM
This is a very nice app. I've been waiting for something like this for a while, especially after the 360 Live fiasco (charging for removing ads, then when in-app purchases come, charging AGAIN to remove ads). Now all I need on iOS is a Zune app with the same level of polish and an official Playstation app, and I would be very happy.

alksion
Dec 8, 2011, 09:36 PM
Metro looks like a nice touch interface, based on this app, but I'm not enjoying it on the XBox. It's dog slow to navigate especially since they insist on placing 'games' all the way down the list - after all the buzzwords and just before 'preferences'. Stupid. Admit the XBox is a games console!

I have to disagree with you on this, I think it's clutter free and makes it easier to navigate.

Only thing I do not like is the Netflix update, I think it is greatly inferior to the last one. This might be my only grime and a small one at that..

iSayuSay
Dec 9, 2011, 12:01 AM
Hey .. Sony .. MSFT did that on iOS. Where is this apps (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/12/16/the-official-playstation-app-coming-soon-to-iphone-and-android-handsets/) of yours? Never heard of it again.

KdParker
Dec 12, 2011, 11:59 AM
Still not going to push me into a Windows phone....they still have some catching up to do

jonnysods
Dec 13, 2011, 06:56 AM
It's a cool idea for XBOX to put this on the app store. Could get a few new interested people in their monthly services. Good for them.

I'm a PS3 man myself, when I have time to use it!

jayhtee
Dec 17, 2011, 05:30 AM
Nice effort, nice design MS...

Doesn't really do much though eh?!?

DocNYz
Dec 22, 2011, 03:19 AM
Nice effort, nice design MS...

Doesn't really do much though eh?!?

Great to see who's online, respond to messages, and see what achievements require ...

Really could use some push notifications though and faster response time for messages, friend requests, etc ...

posimosh
Dec 24, 2011, 02:05 AM

LOLOLOLOL! I really hope that is not a real Microsoft page... Seriously, is that photoshopped? I don't know which is funnier if it is a legit webcap or doctored...

briansolomon
Nov 7, 2012, 01:02 PM
Would have been nice to use it last night when they had election coverage using SmartGlass.