PDA

View Full Version : Tiger on iMac 333

colinet
May 26, 2005, 07:42 PM
HELP!! I've just installed tiger on my wife's tray loading rev B iMacc 333Mhz. I did the following -
1 - Installed 10.4 on an 80 gig drive via firewire in an external case via my Dual G5
2 - Put the drive into the iMac.
3 - The welcome and config/setup stuff all worked fine.
4 - I then installed iLife 05 from an external DVD drive.
5 - I copied the 10.41 and latest iLife updates via ethernet from my G5 and installed them on the iMac. Everything still seemed to be OK.
6 - After installing 10.41, the iMac then asked for a restart.
7 - Did the restart
8 - The little disc with the ? comes up then it's OK and goes to the grey screen with the grey apple and then NOTHING. It just sits there.

I've done the PRAM reset, done the poking the paperclip the the programmer's hole ( we won't go there:-)) Nothing. This machine has 160 gig of ram and no firewire. It tells me the hardware is up to date and it ran 10.35 no problem. (What is the max ram I can put in this machine?)

Any ideas???

ibookowner2
May 26, 2005, 08:04 PM
umm 160 gb of ram!

macbaseball
May 26, 2005, 08:07 PM
HELP!! I've just installed tiger on my wife's tray loading rev B iMacc 333Mhz. I did the following -
1 - Installed 10.4 on an 80 gig drive via firewire in an external case via my Dual G5
2 - Put the drive into the iMac.
3 - The welcome and config/setup stuff all worked fine.
4 - I then installed iLife 05 from an external DVD drive.
5 - I copied the 10.41 and latest iLife updates via ethernet from my G5 and installed them on the iMac. Everything still seemed to be OK.
6 - After installing 10.41, the iMac then asked for a restart.
7 - Did the restart
8 - The little disc with the ? comes up then it's OK and goes to the grey screen with the grey apple and then NOTHING. It just sits there.

I've done the PRAM reset, done the poking the paperclip the the programmer's hole ( we won't go there:-)) Nothing. This machine has 160 gig of ram and no firewire. It tells me the hardware is up to date and it ran 10.35 no problem. (What is the max ram I can put in this machine?)

Any ideas???

I think it might have some of the settings for a G5 not the G3. Like the ways to contact the hardware. Why didn't you just install it on the iMac from the start?

colinet
May 26, 2005, 09:11 PM
Because the iMac only has a CD drive and Tiger is on a DVD and there is no Firewire. I'll try to install over USB from an external DVD drive - not sure if it will.

How much ram can I put in the iMac 333? It has the 32meg + a 128meg - is the 32 meg replaceable too. what typwe of ram do I need. I'm happy to add as much ram as I can.

California
May 27, 2005, 03:35 AM
Check the specs for ram on a google search for your iMac. But I heard that you can't run even Panther well on less than 256mbs, much less Tiger.

Macky-Mac
May 27, 2005, 11:27 AM
the RAM finder thingie at Crucial says you can put 512 in it and that the 32 is indeed removable

Mord
May 27, 2005, 11:38 AM
http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/ instal version 4 onto the drive.

csubear
May 27, 2005, 12:02 PM
I have one of those, yes you can pull the 32meg stick out. But I can't remember if its a SO-DIMM or a full size DIMM

colinet
May 27, 2005, 05:42 PM
I've come to the conclusion that trying to use any version of OSX on an old iMac without putting it on a 6 gig partition is the problem. With OSX 10.3 it does the same as 10.4 - appears to work first time but won't re-start (even ignores holding down C with an OS 9 CD in the drive)

Are there any patches to overcome the 6 gig thing or do I have to have 2 partitions?

California
May 29, 2005, 10:17 AM
Spend forty bucks on a new Deskstar hard drive, add at least 512k of memory and you are raring to go. Yes, you need to partition the first 7.8 gigs of the drive (or some such odd number, I forget). I've done this on a 266, a 233 and a 333 iMac. That old hard drive my cause you more problems down the line and you can always take your new hd out of the iMac...