PDA

View Full Version : Possible mineral oil form Ipod??

Carolinabuckeye
Dec 7, 2011, 10:12 PM
I have an incipio "pillow" cover my ipod.

One day I noticed my screen getting a little greasy so I took the cover off and there was what looked like oil or some kind of leakage from the ipod. It was on the back of the ipod and on the inside of the cover itself.

It's clear and kind of thick-like (sorry for lack of a better description)...its not water. Would it be possible that the heat from my hand and the ipod running cause some sort of sweating?

I did use the Ipod without the cover for a while and it never happened so I know the Ipod isn't leaking. But I am clumsy and don't like my Ipod being naked.

Thanks in advance

Thetonyk123
Dec 8, 2011, 07:02 AM
I have an incipio "pillow" cover my ipod.

One day I noticed my screen getting a little greasy so I took the cover off and there was what looked like oil or some kind of leakage from the ipod. It was on the back of the ipod and on the inside of the cover itself.

It's clear and kind of thick-like (sorry for lack of a better description)...its not water. Would it be possible that the heat from my hand and the ipod running cause some sort of sweating?

I did use the Ipod without the cover for a while and it never happened so I know the Ipod isn't leaking. But I am clumsy and don't like my Ipod being naked.

Thanks in advance

Is your water sensor tripped?

Carolinabuckeye
Dec 8, 2011, 07:29 AM
No the water sensor hasn't been tripped.

Consultant
Dec 8, 2011, 10:06 AM
What you claimed is NOT POSSIBLE. Here's what's inside iPod touch in real life:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod-Touch-4th-Generation-Teardown/3562/1

marcusj0015
Dec 8, 2011, 10:35 AM
^^^ It couldn't be battery acid at all could it?

Carolinabuckeye
Dec 10, 2011, 10:44 AM
What you claimed is NOT POSSIBLE. Here's what's inside iPod touch in real life:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod-Touch-4th-Generation-Teardown/3562/1

I wasn't stating that what it was, I was just asking. I also was wondering if the heat form the Ipod could cause sweating within the case, causing some kind of condensation.

Apple told me the Ipod has a lithium battery that ran on electricity, therefore it can't actually "leak."

I've called Apple and Incipio, but both seemed very puzzled at my question. I really don't think the Ipod itself is the cause I guess. I was more looking for if this condensation type oil could be potentially hazardous.

Gav2k
Dec 10, 2011, 10:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

U tried a little taste? I know it sounds stupid but u can tell a lot ;)

Holly999999
Dec 25, 2011, 05:29 PM
This happened to me today. It was a brown oil between the cover and the iPod back. My iPod briefly stopped working too. It froze up and wouldn't turn off.

ChicagoMac
Dec 25, 2011, 08:02 PM
I have a similar cover for my 3rd generation ipod touch. I've noticed the same issue when the weather is warm. It seems to me that the case is causing the oily substance, almost like it is breaking down from the heat. Or perhaps the oils from your fingers are getting trapped in the edge of the case?