PDA

View Full Version : howcome appleworks isnt on the PMac?

SilvorX
Oct 14, 2002, 04:31 PM
i noticed someone said in a previous thread about half a week ago that apple doesnt include appleworks on the powermac..and i went to the apple site to check it out..and they dont...
howcome apple doesnt include applework on their 2 most expensive computers (the powermac and powerbook)? lol spending $1699-7000 bux on a mac and theres no appleworks included...doesnt sound right :S
howcome they dont include appleworks on the powermac and powerbook? i'll live without appleworks when i get my mac lol, ive never been a fan of appleworks anyways :S lol

King Cobra
Oct 14, 2002, 04:43 PM
>i noticed someone said in a previous thread about half a week ago that apple doesnt include appleworks on the powermac..and i went to the apple site to check it out..and they dont...

Appleworks didn't come with my Cube, but it came with my original iMac and my iBook.

>howcome apple doesnt include applework on their 2 most expensive computers (the powermac and powerbook)? lol spending $1699-7000 bux on a mac and theres no appleworks included...doesnt sound right :S

Tell me you're in a total rave about Appleworks not accompanying top model Apple computers, and I'll disregard the $7000 bux comment.

>howcome they dont include appleworks on the powermac and powerbook?

To directly answer your question, I am not too sure. But I will not dismiss the fact that you can get AppleWorks for cheap. Use an education discount, or go to Dealtime and find a copy cheap. AppleWorks isn't a luxury software app, such as Photoshop, or as pricey as Microsoft Office. Spending not even $100 on a word processing/database/polygonal drawing app, I think, is a complete steal. Pardon my casual comment, but...

>i'll live without appleworks when i get my mac lol, ive never been a fan of appleworks anyways :S lol

...you have no idea how much cool sh** AppleWorks can still do for under $100. :) And I can detect a hint of sarcasm when you "lol" twice in one sentence.

As for this entire rant, until you switch, you don't need to rant that prominently. At most, rant a little when you get a Mac.

MacBandit
Oct 14, 2002, 04:51 PM
Apples philosophy on the PowerMac/Powerbook systems is simply this. It's a pro product and pros have certain programs they have to have or will only use. Also if they have the money to spend $3-6,000 on a system then they should have enough money to buy the programs they need. Or since they are buying a pro system they are pros and already have the software they need.

I don't necesarily agree with this philosophy but I will say that I got a ton of software with my new tower. When I got my old B/W G3 there was nothing just they system.

Another thing to point out is Apple doesn't consider AppleWorks to be pro software. Also no matter what they say is not nearly 100% compatible with word. So maybe they just don't want people who spend thousands on they're system to get pissed off because AppleWorks doesn't work quite like expected.

FattyMembrane
Oct 14, 2002, 05:35 PM
macbandit is correct about apple's mentality: the pros will probably either have their favorite suite already, or opt to just buy office. i think that this is an unwise move as there are many who buy the tower as a home computer and have a great need for a wordprocessor/drawing/spreadsheet program. it would not be a great cost to apple or to the consumer to include it with all machines, which is what i think they should do (even if it's on a separate cd that you can install yourself).

MacBandit
Oct 14, 2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
macbandit is correct about apple's mentality: the pros will probably either have their favorite suite already, or opt to just buy office. i think that this is an unwise move as there are many who buy the tower as a home computer and have a great need for a wordprocessor/drawing/spreadsheet program. it would not be a great cost to apple or to the consumer to include it with all machines, which is what i think they should do (even if it's on a separate cd that you can install yourself).

It definitely wouldn't cost much. Seeing how I bought AppleWorks with my new tower and after rebate and educational discount it was only $20.

solvs
Oct 14, 2002, 06:07 PM
I too think they should have it on every computer they sell. They used to do the same thing with iMovie. It was only on the iMacs. Most PCs come with at least the option for Corel WordPerfect, or M$Works (ha, that's an oxy-moron. MS Works. No it doesn't). Not everyone who buys a Tower or TiBook wants to spend $200 - $400 on M$Office, or have to spend $40 - $80 on something that should be free. It's the principal of the thing.

There's always ThinkFree, and that other one, as alternatives for much cheaper (or P2P for free).

There is a basic text program built in if you're really cheap.

G5orbust
Oct 14, 2002, 06:41 PM
god knows why it deosnt come w/ atleast a comprehensive word processor beyond text edit. I actually didnt believe taht it didnt come with it and spend about 2 hours on the applications cd looking for it :mad: .

O well it doesnt matter, i bet more than half of the people on mr would be happy enough (encluding me0 to give u full microsfot office via a .dmg file.

MacBandit
Oct 14, 2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by G5orbust
god knows why it deosnt come w/ atleast a comprehensive word processor beyond text edit. I actually didnt believe taht it didnt come with it and spend about 2 hours on the applications cd looking for it :mad: .

O well it doesnt matter, i bet more than half of the people on mr would be happy enough (encluding me0 to give u full microsfot office via a .dmg file.

Absolutely not. Pirating is not at all accepted by this site.

SilvorX
Oct 14, 2002, 07:08 PM
im saying that appleworks should be included with powermacs and powerbooks cuz many ppl who are switchers choose the powermac/powerbook cuz of the power and speed, a person who buys their first mac, and is on a budget for a new computer (and they want a dual 867 (just an example), they'dd be like "where's the word processor on this computer", cuz most pc's in the world (excl some custom built brands) include either an office suite or a word processor, my aunts computer didnt come with a word processor nor office suite (cuz she bought a custom built computer) but she got a free copy of office from the accounting course she was taking.
most mac users would be like "your all pissy cuz it doesnt include a word processor", well im not, im excited about getting the mac soon...
and i was saying $7000 computer as if someone customized their dual 1.25 powermac to include a nice apple display and such...
i know a powermac is a professional computer, but there ARE people who buy a powermac for the speed and such...as i said above, not just entertainment companies/design studios/etc, so appleworks would be a nice addition to someone who buys the computer to plan to use it for about 5 years, and if they have a family, it would be great to have appleworks for the kids to type up reports or whatever..
ya i was sarcastic about the living without appleworks, its a speedy office suite, and at times idd probably need to use appleworks for school work (aka working on the stupid school website lol)
i live in canada so i cant really take advantage of much of the sweet american deals (tariffs) but one of my relatives might have gotten a job at one of the major computer chains here, so i could try getting a discount on a powermac through him...

G5orbust
Oct 14, 2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit

no no no, you misunderstood. I was saying taht the people here are so friendly taht if he really needed it, he could probably trade for it or something... Pirating is bad... really bad ;) ;) ;)

Sun Baked
Oct 14, 2002, 08:15 PM
Go ahead and http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/sad/mecry.gif

What are you complaining about if you don't like AppleWorks?

King Cobra
Oct 14, 2002, 08:31 PM

What is your name again? MacBandit? Got it. :D

As for the trading thing, you really shouldn't trade software for software. I think that's also pirating, either depending on the circumstances, or as a whole. IF need be to discuss it, do not discuss it here on the forums. You may get banned from all discussion.

SilvorX
Oct 14, 2002, 11:25 PM
lol tsk tsk tsk...no bad software talk allowed :p lol
a lil offtopic, what does everyone want to see on aw7? lol :P

MacBandit
Oct 15, 2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra

What is your name again? MacBandit? Got it. :D

You don't understand I am the Zorro of the Mac. I bring justice too the common folk. :D ;)

Someday I will fix my tar.

SilvorX
Oct 15, 2002, 09:26 AM

You don't understand I am the Zorro of the Mac. I bring justice too the common folk. :D ;)

Someday I will fix my tar.
your avatar doesnt have a sword if your zorro tho :P

MacBandit
Oct 15, 2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by SilvorX

your avatar doesnt have a sword if your zorro tho :P

Damn your good.:rolleyes: That's why I said I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.:)

SilvorX
Oct 15, 2002, 01:37 PM

Damn your good.:rolleyes: That's why I said I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.:)
lol when i saw your avatar for the first time, and noticed wha your sn was, i thought the avatar suited u :P, but give the bandit a sword and then it will be zorro lol...brings me back memories of the simpsons a few years ago