PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Safari Do This?!

Michaelgtrusa
Dec 8, 2011, 09:52 AM
From time to time, i'll be surfing he web and notice that a webpage will not load even though the load bar travels all the way across, safari will not enter that page. if I return to topsites I get a white page. I can click on the topsides, but I have to close the window to stop this.

MacBoobsPro
Dec 8, 2011, 09:57 AM
I've not seen that but I get graphical glitches with the reading list. I have the very latest version and it still does it.

Bob Coxner
Dec 8, 2011, 11:32 AM
This reminds me of the ancient joke. Guy goes into the doctor and says "it hurts when I do this". Doc says "don't do that".

Why use Safari if it hurts? Chrome beats it in every way imaginable and even has Flash when you need it.

mbdblue
Jan 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
I am going batty with a white screen web page in Safari and Firefox on my iMac!
The website I get a white screen on is this one: http://www.scottkelby.com/
I seem to have no other problems Safari or FF with other websites.
Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

tkermit
Jan 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
If I use Safari for a long enough period of time, all kinds of weird issues will crop up. It slows down to a crawl, consumes huge amounts of memory, web pages flash white or come up empty, trackpad zooming stops working etc... Thankfully, the new resume feature allows one to simply quit and restart Safari without losing any of the open webpages.

mbdblue
Jan 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
But I have the same issue in Firefox with this specific page. It is not Safari-specific.
The below thread shows an answer, but I don't understand the steps to achieve that solution. I'm hoping someone can explain it.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1211554

squeakr
Jan 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Looks like the issue may be DNS related for this site. I can get to it without issue, but I many be using a more authoritative and updated DNS entry (I use Open DNS as it seems to be updated more regularly than some). When I queried the IP returned by the site it turns out within an assigned block to the user. It appears as though the user may be using a load balancer internal to assign the requests and the correct sites accordingly. Thus, the issue could be related to a combination of the DNS entry your are using and the site is maintaining and the internal load balancer allowing the site request through.

If you can change the DNS server for your configuration I would try that and use one of the more commercial versions (OpenDNS or Google are good ones) as maintaining correct DNS information is their main focus.

mbdblue
Jan 27, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thank you for this info...I just switch to OpenDNS using the instructions here (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/38793/how-to-switch-mac-os-x-to-use-opendns-or-google-dns/) and I think this is great for various reasons because I am on Comcast. So thank you, my pages are loading faster. However....it didn't solve the issue with Scott Kelby's blog. Bummer.

UPDATE: That DNS change made it work in FireFox once but then after that I got an error display that says: "The Connection the server was reset while the page was loading..." and a bunch of possible reasons for this. hmmm. The I navigated away from the page and then hit "back" and it showed the blog. Really strange! Still a blank white page in Safari. :(

squeakr
Jan 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
I would check your Security, Privacy, and Advanced settings within Safari> Preferences menus. Insure that the settings are allowing things. I have everything on the Security page checked. This cold be blocking something that needs to run in order for the page to display.

Michaelgtrusa
Jan 28, 2012, 05:57 AM
More people having this?

airlied
Jan 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
i have the exactly the same issue, it happens when you try to switch the webpage back by multitouch gestures. and if you switch between desktops with a cursor in the browser this happens,

bedifferent
Jan 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
i have the exactly the same issue, it happens when you try to switch the webpage back by multitouch gestures. and if you switch between desktops with a cursor in the browser this happens,

Confirmed bug in 10.7.2. The .3 update addresses this issue, and seems to have remedied it. It is, from what the engineers claim, related to multi-gestures and the UI (specifically swiping between pages with either the trackpad or "Magic Mouse").