PDA

View Full Version : Retina Display-Equipped iPad 3 to Launch in February?

MacRumors
Dec 8, 2011, 12:05 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/retina-display-equipped-ipad-3-to-launch-in-february/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/ipad.jpg

The next iPad will be introduced in February according to a research note issued by Citi analyst Richard Gardner, obtained by Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/the-next-ipad-will-launch-in-february-2011-12).
According to "several sources" the next iPad will launch in February, and it will sport a screen with double the resolution of the current model.

Gardner says, "there do not appear to be any significant technical hurdles remaining" to prevent a launch of a high-resolution iPad, despite rumors to the contrary.Gardner's note echoes prior reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/18/ipad-3-display-shipments-nearing-3-million-units-with-assembly-set-for-january-start/) of a mid-Winter launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/18/march-launch-for-slightly-thicker-ipad-3-iphone-with-4-inch-screen-in-summer/) for the iPad 3.

Some reports had been suggesting that Apple's display suppliers were struggling (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/27/lg-and-samsung-still-struggling-with-retina-ipad-3-display/) with mass production of the higher-resolution 2048x1536 displays for the iPad 3, but reports over the past few weeks have indicated that the production is now moving along at Samsung, LG, and Sharp ahead of final iPad 3 assembly scheduled to begin next month at Foxconn.

One issue that has remains unclear is whether the iPad 3 will be thinner or slightly thicker than the iPad 2. Several sources have claimed that the iPad 3 will need to be slightly thicker (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/07/ipad-3-will-be-thicker-still-support-smart-cover/) due to the adoption of a dual light bar system (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/07/apple-adopting-dual-light-bar-system-for-ipad-3-display/) to handle the significant jump in display resolution. But another report (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/23/thinner-ipad-3-coming-with-low-power-retina-display/) from late last month claimed that Apple will be utilizing a new display technology to support the high-resolution without requiring dual light bars, a development that will allow the iPad 3 to be slightly thinner than the current model.

Article Link: Retina Display-Equipped iPad 3 to Launch in February? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/retina-display-equipped-ipad-3-to-launch-in-february/)

mactmaster
Dec 8, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hope it's sooner rather than later. I want to buy one for my mom, her macbook is on its last legs.

Amazing Iceman
Dec 8, 2011, 12:33 PM
Best rumor of the month. I really hope it's real... :D

rmwebs
Dec 8, 2011, 12:35 PM
Sounds good.

Although it should be noted that it WILL be slower than the iPad 2. It'll also take a fair while (1+ year) for most apps to get retina resolutions too for obvious reasons.

Edit: to the 26 people who down voted this, it will be slower because there is currently no faster CPU on offer to Apple than the existing A5. You're all making an assumption that the A6 will be ready, despite most sources saying it wont. You take an iPad 2 and slap a 'retina' screen on it and its got to do 4x the work...thats fact, not opinion.

Yumunum
Dec 8, 2011, 12:36 PM
So it won't have 4G, if this is true... Correct? Cuz they don't have the radios out yet

bushido
Dec 8, 2011, 12:37 PM
damn who wants my iPad 2?

basesloaded190
Dec 8, 2011, 12:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sounds good.

Although it should be noted that it WILL be slower than the iPad 2. It'll also take a fair while (1+ year) for most apps to get retina resolutions too for obvious reasons.

Both of those "facts" couldn't sound more like the opposite of the truth

smulji
Dec 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
Sounds good.

How did you jump to the conclusion that iPad 3 will be slower than iPad 2? I'm curious.

Wouldn't this only be the case if the A6 is generally the same architecture as the A5? If it's using a new more modern architecture like that used in Samsung's recently announced Exynos 520 SOC (dual-core Cortex A15 architecture), then iPad 3 should be just as fast if not faster than iPad 2.

Jbrumz85
Dec 8, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'll get excited when it's announced.

Battlefield Fan
Dec 8, 2011, 12:43 PM
Please be early to mid February :)

Mess
Dec 8, 2011, 12:45 PM
Heres hoping!!

Sounds good.

Slower? What you been smoking? A6 quad core more than likely with retina display. Will be awesome!

And it wont take long for devs to update their apps. Not a year thats for sure!

tranceformav2
Dec 8, 2011, 12:47 PM
So glad I've been holding out on buying a 2.

Hope this is true cos ME WANT COOKIE!:D

Akack
Dec 8, 2011, 12:48 PM
Guess I'll be selling my ipad 2 in early Jan :D

Caliber26
Dec 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
These iPad 3 rumors are making me reconsider having one again. :cool:

notjustjay
Dec 8, 2011, 12:49 PM
I really have no problem if it's slightly thicker than an iPad 2, especially if that added thickness can mean longer battery life or better performance.

chalpin
Dec 8, 2011, 12:50 PM
When Gardner says, the iPad 3 will have "double the resolution" of the iPad 2, doesn't he mean quadruple? I don't think doubling the resolution is as big a problem - quadrupling is a massive difference.

Or have I misunderstood the situation?

Tsunami911
Dec 8, 2011, 12:50 PM
Will it get 4 cores to drive that fancy new display? I don't think the A5 will cut it.

MacDarcy
Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 PM
Ain't no way in HELL the iPad 3 is gonna be SLOWER than the iPad 2. Nope.

That ain't gonna happen.

Battery life might take a slight hit because of the power suckin' potential of a 9.7" Retina display...but it won't be slower.

Actually, the battery life should improve, especially if they plan to make the ipad "slightly" thicker.

I would hope along with the Retina Display it gets better battery life, the A6 AND a better camera. :-)

But then...we are all just guessing right?

Bathplug
Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 PM
And it wont take long for devs to update their apps. Not a year thats for sure!

Skype will take a year to get an update mark my words.

deannnnn
Dec 8, 2011, 12:53 PM
To quote Seth Meyers from the iPad 2 launch, "just in time to make everyone feel bad about their Christmas present."

coder12
Dec 8, 2011, 12:54 PM
Cool! I would love this, especially since it is so early in my semester for school :)

billchase2
Dec 8, 2011, 12:58 PM
Ah, the upgrade for my iPad 1. Looking forward to it!

MacDarcy
Dec 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
The A6 and a retina display would be perfect, and really go a long way in making the ipad a viable video/photo editing tool on the road. Me likey.

But will the A6 be ready by February? Wasn't there a rumor that it wouldn't be ready until the summer?

damir00
Dec 8, 2011, 01:01 PM
Sooner than I would have expected. Nobody else is going to have screens like that for a long time, and they will make even more of a difference at iPad size than they did at iPhone size.

Really looking forward to this, hope it's true!

kiljoy616
Dec 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thicker than the iPad 2 is an oxymoron and Apple will never do that. The same maybe but thicker not going to happen, out in Feb would love if it was true but not going to hold my fingers cross. But if it is I am ready for it. White HD iPad come to daddy. :D

HobeSoundDarryl
Dec 8, 2011, 01:04 PM
Having seen this same basic rumor (about retina) for what- about 12 years now;)- do we really think that at least some of the iPad developers haven't already done a lot of the work to be ready? I'm somewhat surprised that one of them hasn't already rolled out an "ipad3 ready" bit of marketing just for the publicity.

Wasn't the iPhone screen rez doubling a bit of a surprise which contributed to why it took a while for developers to adapt? However, now that the "simple model" of just doubling the horiz and vert pixels is established, can't we imagine that developers have already prepared for that? I would think the day an iPad comes out with "retina" is the same day a bunch of "retina ready" apps are made available in the store.

Secondly, if this cheap device is going to get that level of screen resolution in a smallish screen, are the next gen of Apple laptops going to do even better? Would it really make sense for an (maybe $499 or so) iPad 3 to sport 2048x1536 while a $2499 Macbook Pro 17" is capped out at 1920x1200? Does this advance in screen resolution on the iPad imply that maybe new laptops are going to get up into 27" iMac screen resolutions... or more?

ThunderSkunk
Dec 8, 2011, 01:04 PM
Who'd want to buy someone an iPad for christmas when a month or so later there's going to be an improved version out for the same $?

...oh. People not paying attention.

...which helps clear out the old stock. Makes sense I guess. ...kinda sucks though.

bushido
Dec 8, 2011, 01:06 PM
with the resell value of apple products im hoping i call sell my 64 GB iPad 2 for the price of a 32 or 16 GB iPad 2 model and use the money to buy a lower space iPad 3 ^^

MacDarcy
Dec 8, 2011, 01:10 PM
Who'd want to buy someone an iPad for christmas when a month or so later there's going to be an improved version out for the same $?

...oh. People not paying attention.

...which helps clear out the old stock. Makes sense I guess. ...kinda sucks though.

Yup. It makes PERFECT sense for Apple. They have always updated the iPad in March. I think the iPad 3 may be announced in Febraury, but most likeyly it'll be available in March or later. But who the heck knows!

A few more months is not THAT long of a wait. :-)

BC2009
Dec 8, 2011, 01:13 PM
I believe the iPad 3 will not release to May/June. It just makes sense to move it closer to the middle of the year to lessen the impact of competitors (like Amazon's Kindle Fire) releasing closer to the holiday shopping season.

If they wait for June then they have a chance of getting 4G into the iPad 3 and they will assuredly have the A6 ready by then. Although, I believe Qualcomm's road map shows the LTE/GSM/CDMA-all-in-one chip won't be ready until mid next year so even that is cutting it close for LTE support.

Releasing in February just after the holiday shopping season is a bit nuts. Even Late-March/Early-April of last year was a bit too close to the previous holiday season.

Now that iPhone has shifted to the fall release, it only makes sense to do iPad in the summer (assuming Apple wants to resume the once-per-year release cycle).

Anyway, if it releases in February and still has the A6 and 4G LTE then I will be amazed.

hcho3
Dec 8, 2011, 01:17 PM
Apple...

I want it now. Release it now.

MacDarcy
Dec 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
I don't think a Feb/March release is so shocking....um...especially since BOTH the original iPad & the iPad 2 were released in March. Durp! :-P

Seriously. Apple doesn't need to listen to armchair QBs like us telling THEM when they SHOULD release their products. They didn't become the richest company in the world not knowing when to release products. :-)

Dagless
Dec 8, 2011, 01:26 PM
If this is real, I'd love to know how they've pulled it off. That's a very high resolution that modern computers have a hard time with, performance-wise. Will demanding apps/games be locked to a smaller resolution I wonder?

If anyone can do this it's Apple. I just want to know how!

ECUpirate44
Dec 8, 2011, 01:27 PM
These iPad 3 rumors are making me reconsider having one again. :cool:

Enjoy what you have :rolleyes:

teng029
Dec 8, 2011, 01:28 PM
Maybe someone can fill in the missing parts. It's one thing to run a high resolution of 960x640 on a 3.5 inch screen using a low powered GPU, but it is entirely another story to be able to run a resolution of 2048x1536 on a 10 inch display. To give it some perspective, Apple's 27 inch displays run at 2560x1440 and requires a fairly powerful discrete graphics chip to do so.

I'm curious to see what this miracle GPU would be that would somehow be capable of supporting a 2048x1536 resolution. The other part of this problem is battery life. Considering the relatively small size of the iPad, I'm also curious what battery would be used to run this configuration.

jkichline
Dec 8, 2011, 01:29 PM
Sounds good.

How and/or why do you figure that? I'm a developer and I can tell you that it will take me about a day to prepare my pretty large app for a retina iPad. This is because all of my artwork is already in Retina thanks to iPhone 4.

Also, Apple is NOT going to release something that is slower. For games, it is very likely that the device will just scale a lower res OpenGL layer which will probably still look amazing on that screen.

tylerk36
Dec 8, 2011, 01:30 PM
If it's real then it will change the portable devices standards once again. The iPad 3 will keep Apple ahead of the competition for some time.

dagamer34
Dec 8, 2011, 01:36 PM
How did you jump to the conclusion that iPad 3 will be slower than iPad 2? I'm curious.

Wouldn't this only be the case if the A6 is generally the same architecture as the A5? If it's using a new more modern architecture like that used in Samsung's recently announced Exynos 520 SOC (dual-core Cortex A15 architecture), then iPad 3 should be just as fast if not faster than iPad 2.

Dual core Cortex A15 chips won't come out until late 2012, too late to be used in the iPad 3. I also think quad core isn't that great in a tablet, since there aren't a lot of background tasks and most apps aren't that well multi-threaded (if they even are at all).

I'd argue for a faster dual core Cortex A9 running at 1.5Ghz (a 50% CPU bump), which makes for a better transition to a dual core Cortex A15 for a hypothetical iPad 4. Faster dual core outperforms quad core most of the time because most apps are not and do not need to be multi-threaded (it's a lot of work for minimal benefit for your typical app).

Do expect the GPU to be bumped again, as we're talking about above 1080p HD resolutions here. I expect to see the MP4 variant of the PowerVR SGX 543 chip (iPad 2 currently uses MP2 variant), much like what's in the Playstation Vita, though with even higher clocks as well.

easy4lif
Dec 8, 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm definitely buying 2

dagamer34
Dec 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
How and/or why do you figure that? I'm a developer and I can tell you that it will take me about a day to prepare my pretty large app for a retina iPad. This is because all of my artwork is already in Retina thanks to iPhone 4.

Also, Apple is NOT going to release something that is slower. For games, it is very likely that the device will just scale a lower res OpenGL layer which will probably still look amazing on that screen.

For people that think ahead, they should have made all of their iPad artwork Retina ready as soon as the iPhone 4 was announced. It was a logical no-brainer at that point, especially for apps that started development after it was released!

However, for some reason, companies want to drag their feet as long as possible. It's odd that indie developers adapt to these changes faster than big companies do (my app was Retina ready on the iPhone 4 the day it was released). It literally did take a year for almost all apps I cared about to support the Retina display, which is sad because using a non-Retina app on a Retina display is an awful experience!

unclejuicyjoe
Dec 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
damn who wants my iPad 2?

This was my main reason not to buy ipad 1 or 2. The screen just isn't there yet. Hopefully iPad3 will get it right...

dagamer34
Dec 8, 2011, 01:43 PM
Maybe someone can fill in the missing parts. It's one thing to run a high resolution of 960x640 on a 3.5 inch screen using a low powered GPU, but it is entirely another story to be able to run a resolution of 2048x1536 on a 10 inch display. To give it some perspective, Apple's 27 inch displays run at 2560x1440 and requires a fairly powerful discrete graphics chip to do so.

I'm curious to see what this miracle GPU would be that would somehow be capable of supporting a 2048x1536 resolution. The other part of this problem is battery life. Considering the relatively small size of the iPad, I'm also curious what battery would be used to run this configuration.

For the most part, 99% of what is done on the iPad is 2D drawing, which requires a linear increase in performance. 3D on the other hand is geometric as each pixel is rendered over several times before getting the final picture. I predict we'll see 3D games like Infinity Blade 2 continue to run at 1024x768 and use anti-aliasing to cover up any imperfections.

Chupa Chupa
Dec 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
Sacrificing a couple mms of thickness for a better screen is worthy decision as long as it doesn't also increase weight. Increasing weight is unacceptable.

oneMadRssn
Dec 8, 2011, 01:45 PM
Anyone else getting flashbacks to the G3/G4/G5 Mac days when people talk about and compare the A4/A5/A6 iDevice chips? Oooh some things never change.

MacDarcy
Dec 8, 2011, 01:47 PM
This was my main reason not to buy ipad 1 or 2. The screen just isn't there yet. Hopefully iPad3 will get it right...

I bought an iPad 1 when they first came out with the unlimited 3G from AT&T and have enjoyed it for nearly 2 years now. Love Love LOVE it. But i held off getting the iPad 2 to wait for the iPad 3. I can wait another few months. :-)

chrmjenkins
Dec 8, 2011, 01:54 PM
Dual core Cortex A15 chips won't come out until late 2012, too late to be used in the iPad 3. I also think quad core isn't that great in a tablet, since there aren't a lot of background tasks and most apps aren't that well multi-threaded (if they even are at all).

Not true. Samsung's Exynos 5250 will launch in Q2 of next year on 32nm node. If Apple stays with Samsung, they could do the same. Historically, they've launched equally or before comparable Samsung SoCs built on the same node. (A4 beat Hummingbird, A5 beat Exynos 42xx in US launch).

Do expect the GPU to be bumped again, as we're talking about above 1080p HD resolutions here. I expect to see the MP4 variant of the PowerVR SGX 543 chip (iPad 2 currently uses MP2 variant), much like what's in the Playstation Vita, though with even higher clocks as well.

I disagree. That's pushing the power envelope without claiming anything back to save battery. I think the next move is to either shrink the 543 and clock it up or make the jump to Rogue cores.

I don't think a Q1 launch is likely given the availability of 32nm/28nm. Apple is pretty much running the tablet game right now, so I could see a February launch if they prioritized getting a retina iPad over everything else, but the benefits of waiting only a few months for a 28nm/32nm node to ramp up are hard to ignore from a battery standpoint, especially since you're talking about a display that is likely more power hungry.

unclejuicyjoe
Dec 8, 2011, 01:54 PM
I bought an iPad 1 when they first came out with the unlimited 3G from AT&T and have enjoyed it for nearly 2 years now. Love Love LOVE it. But i held off getting the iPad 2 to wait for the iPad 3. I can wait another few months. :-)

I've waited this long, I can wait for the 3 to hit. I can now maybe see a place in my world for the use of an ipad, that's the biggest factor in all of this. Plus the longer I wait, like with everything, the cheaper, faster, lighter, the ipad gets....

macinnv
Dec 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
They said February last year too. I think it will be closer to March or April.

11thIndian
Dec 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
Sounds good.

Why would it be slower? With the A6 processor inside it will likely meet or exceed the performance of the iPad 2 at the new resolutions.

Also, any developer worth his salt is already building apps with the new resolutions in mind, so chances are you'd see lots of developers ready with "Retina" updates to iPad apps on launch day.

Though I think it's fair to say that if anything is going to stay static, it will be battery life- though not knowing the energy efficiency of the display, or the A6- even that's not a guarantee.

Caliber26
Dec 8, 2011, 01:59 PM
To quote Seth Meyers from the iPad 2 launch, "just in time to make everyone feel bad about their Christmas present."

LOL, I remember that very well. SNL Weekend Update news segment. :D

11thIndian
Dec 8, 2011, 02:01 PM
When Gardner says, the iPad 3 will have "double the resolution" of the iPad 2, doesn't he mean quadruple? I don't think doubling the resolution is as big a problem - quadrupling is a massive difference.

Or have I misunderstood the situation?

It depends how you phrase it. You're DOUBLING the resolution (horizontally and vertically), but you're quadrupling the number of pixels. So both terms are correct.

vincenz
Dec 8, 2011, 02:04 PM
I don't know how I'm going to be able to resist the iPad 3 if these rumors come true.

andiwm2003
Dec 8, 2011, 02:04 PM
Sounds good to me if it is true at all. However there was a rumor that the A6 is only available in mid summer.

The higher resolution shouldn't be a big problem because even an A5 should be able to scroll a pdf at reasonale speed.

And for games it's not a problem because they can run at 1024x768 as before and just be upsized. They only would be a bit pixelated but that doesn't matter much.

It's the serious applications like photos or reading pdf's with pictures and graphs that need the high res. But those are mostly static and the A5 should handle those just fine.

JHankwitz
Dec 8, 2011, 02:09 PM
So it won't have 4G, if this is true... Correct? Cuz they don't have the radios out yet

Radios? What radios? Most users buy the Wi-Fi versions anyway. I'm still trying to figure out why people need 4G anyway?

----------

Apple...
I want it now. Release it now.

OK children, they can't release what they don't have.

smulji
Dec 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
Not true. Samsung's Exynos 5250 will launch in Q2 of next year on 32nm node. If Apple stays with Samsung, they could do the same. Historically, they've launched equally or before comparable Samsung SoCs built on the same node. (A4 beat Hummingbird, A5 beat Exynos 42xx in US launch).

I disagree. That's pushing the power envelope without claiming anything back to save battery. I think the next move is to either shrink the 543 and clock it up or make the jump to Rogue cores.

I don't think a Q1 launch is likely given the availability of 32nm/28nm. Apple is pretty much running the tablet game right now, so I could see a February launch if they prioritized getting a retina iPad over everything else, but the benefits of waiting only a few months for a 28nm/32nm node to ramp up are hard to ignore from a battery standpoint, especially since you're talking about a display that is likely more power hungry.

you've hit the nail right on the head.

That is why the February rumors don't make sense unless one assumes the A6 is just a 28nm version of the A5 and nothing more. If the A6 is a true next gen artechitecture based on the Cortex A15 CPU / Rogue GPU then I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 3 is released in the summer.

If the iPad 3 does release early next year, I wouldn't be surprised if it is nothing more than an iPad 2 with Retina Display, 1GB of RAM, & LTE capability.

Yumunum
Dec 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
Radios? What radios? Most users buy the Wi-Fi versions anyway. I'm still trying to figure out why people need 4G anyway?

Whatever low-power LTE radios were supposed to come out some time in 2012... A wi-fi tablet is a useless tablet (okay, that's my opinion :P) 3G is slow - especially on CDMA carriers.

torbjoern
Dec 8, 2011, 02:14 PM
Whatever low-power LTE radios were supposed to come out some time in 2012... A wi-fi tablet is a useless tablet (okay, that's my opinion :P) 3G is slow - especially on CDMA carriers.

Who needs 3G on the iPad if you can tether with a smartphone?

JHankwitz
Dec 8, 2011, 02:17 PM
It depends how you phrase it. You're DOUBLING the resolution (horizontally and vertically), but you're quadrupling the number of pixels. So both terms are correct.

Reviewing the national math test scores that just came out, I can see how this my be a hard concept to understand for todays kids.

CJM
Dec 8, 2011, 02:21 PM
Well surely it's going to need a chip powerful enough to at least play 1080p video and that usually requires something pretty decent.

JHankwitz
Dec 8, 2011, 02:22 PM

How much faster do you think 4G will be in practical use? I think you're in for a broken heart when you finally get it.

Yumunum
Dec 8, 2011, 02:22 PM

Cuz you'd kill your smartphone's battery within hours, and have to connect your iPad/turn on your iPhone whenever you wanted to get on the Internet, thus making the iPad more of a pain than it would be to just use your iPhone?

yongren
Dec 8, 2011, 02:24 PM
Good grief, that's a lot of pixels.

Kauai
Dec 8, 2011, 02:24 PM
How much faster do you think 4G will be in practical use? I think you're in for a broken heart when you finally get it.

My iPhone 4S on Sprint Vs. my SGSII see's a massive difference. Usually 8-12mbps Vs. 1mbps-600kbps.

vandrv
Dec 8, 2011, 02:26 PM
I can guarantee this rumor is true. I just bought an Ipad 2 yesterday. I'm wondering if I should just return it and wait or use it and sell it when the new one rolls out. Any suggestions?

Veinticinco
Dec 8, 2011, 02:28 PM
So glad I've been holding out on buying a 2.

Hope this is true cos ME WANT COOKIE!:D

Ditto and :D

Kauai
Dec 8, 2011, 02:30 PM
I can guarantee this rumor is true. I just bought an Ipad 2 yesterday. I'm wondering if I should just return it and wait or use it and sell it when the new one rolls out. Any suggestions?

Considering how well the iPads retain their value, I say get the 2 and sell it a few days or a week before they announce the 3.

smulji
Dec 8, 2011, 02:34 PM
Well surely it's going to need a chip powerful enough to at least play 1080p video and that usually requires something pretty decent.

The A5 processor in the iPad 2 & iPhone 4S can handle 1080p quite nicely actually.

512ke
Dec 8, 2011, 02:36 PM
Worst rumor for Apple ever. They're already soft on iPad sales. Now ppl won't buy them for the holidays. They'll hold off until early next year to get the iPad3. I'm surprised Apple doesn't pressure MR to pull this post.

Chupa Chupa
Dec 8, 2011, 02:38 PM

Because time is money & everyone wants to surf the web as fast as possible, plus 4G data is no more expensive than 3G data.

Worst rumor for Apple ever. They're already soft on iPad sales. Now ppl won't buy them for the holidays. They'll hold off until early next year to get the iPad3. I'm surprised Apple doesn't pressure MR to pull this post.

People obsessed with Apple already know the basic launch periods. This is hardly an informative rumor. Plus people who are gifting can't wait till Feb. Worst case they give an Apple GC. As for Apple pressuring to have the post removed -- there is no secret being exposed here. It's just speculation. Apple can't do anything about that.

Tiger8
Dec 8, 2011, 02:46 PM
Sounds good.

Slower???? A year for developers to catch up????? Really? What is this 1992?

notjustjay
Dec 8, 2011, 02:50 PM

People who don't have smartphones, for starters.

jwhite878
Dec 8, 2011, 02:59 PM
Good God no more analyst reports.

pubwvj
Dec 8, 2011, 03:14 PM
Waste of processing power and battery. By increasing the resolution it is going to take more processing capacity devoted to the display and that's going to shorten battery life. I would rather have more processing power and more battery life.

bushido
Dec 8, 2011, 03:20 PM
Cuz you'd kill your smartphone's battery within hours, and have to connect your iPad/turn on your iPhone whenever you wanted to get on the Internet, thus making the iPad more of a pain than it would be to just use your iPhone?

thats what the auto connect is for.

whenever im outside of wifi range and unlock my ipad it auto connects to the iphone without doing anything. not that much of a hussle

plus when isnt wifi avab anyway unless ur stuck in the woods

andrewsd
Dec 8, 2011, 03:23 PM
My iPhone 4S on Sprint Vs. my SGSII see's a massive difference. Usually 8-12mbps Vs. 1mbps-600kbps.

Are they both on Sprint because my iPhone 4 that is on at&t is usually way faster then "Imbps" I usually average between 2.5 and 4 Mbps with the lowest ever being about 1.5. 4g would be nice but if I'm. It in a 4g area then I wont be to thrilled with paying more $ if they choose to charge more for 4g. I'll ne all on board with the 4g wagon when it's as readily available as 3G is.

Just my two worthless cents.

I will defiantly welcome the new screen though and I really think March is more realistic just due to the fact I feel that February is too close to the holiday season but we will have to wait and see.

gnasher729
Dec 8, 2011, 03:23 PM
For the most part, 99% of what is done on the iPad is 2D drawing, which requires a linear increase in performance. 3D on the other hand is geometric as each pixel is rendered over several times before getting the final picture. I predict we'll see 3D games like Infinity Blade 2 continue to run at 1024x768 and use anti-aliasing to cover up any imperfections.

Anti-aliasing on an iPad 2 calculates color values at 1024x768 resolution, but the geometry at double resolution 2048x1536, and then shrinks the double resolution image down to normal resolution. On an iPad with double resolution, you can just drop the step where the image is shrunk, and get a slightly better image (sharper where edges of different objects meet) at slightly less cost.

And for games it's not a problem because they can run at 1024x768 as before and just be upsized. They only would be a bit pixelated but that doesn't matter much.

Slightly better than on 1024x768 actually. It would only look pixelated if Apple built a 20 inch iPad.

tranceformav2
Dec 8, 2011, 03:27 PM
Ditto and :D

lol.. You know that!

Just want it to happen now!:cool:

Fazzy
Dec 8, 2011, 03:54 PM
I don't mind the next iPad being slightly thicker, but it would be cool if they could reduce its weight. Not saying the iPad has ever been heavy or anything :p

Actarus
Dec 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
Retina display... it's amazing how marketing works :rolleyes:
An absolutely non-needed resolution for such a small device. Tv's with 1080p have already outstanding picture. But well, this trick works for apple.

torbjoern
Dec 8, 2011, 04:07 PM
Retina display... it's amazing how marketing works :rolleyes:
An absolutely non-needed resolution for such a small device. Tv's with 1080p have already outstanding picture. But well, this trick works for apple.

Retina display is not one specific resolution. The res depends on how close the device is held to the eye under normal use. After having used an iPhone 4 for more than a year, the iPad 2 display looks a bit grainy and pixelated in comparison, even though I keep the iPad further away than the iPhone.

TheMirrorsTruth
Dec 8, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'm surprised Apple doesn't pressure MR to pull this post.

Maybe if the site were MacFacts.com...

randfee2
Dec 8, 2011, 04:14 PM
if they would only add a precise digitizer/pen input, the iPad would rock the decade... but without being able to use it as a real note- & sketch-pad it's just a toy. :(

rmwebs
Dec 8, 2011, 04:25 PM

Take a look at my updated post. You're assuming the A6 is ready, there are no indications to suggest it is.

----------

Your artwork is not 'in retina' for one thing 'retina display' is an Apple marketing term for a screen with a high pixel density, not some piece of technology.

You have art work at 320x480 for standard/older iPhone and iTouch models, and then 640x960 for your iPhone4(s) 'retina' display. Thats not the same as having 2048x1536, which is what the iPad retina display would be. So no, you're app isn't ready - you need to add another set of images in there 2x the size of your iPad images, otherwise they will look crummy on the new screen.

For small apps, sure its a days work. For games and apps with lots (i.e 1000+) of images, its a ball ache.

Big D 51
Dec 8, 2011, 04:27 PM
I hope so.

MacDarcy
Dec 8, 2011, 04:29 PM
if they would only add a precise digitizer/pen input, the iPad would rock the decade... but without being able to use it as a real note- & sketch-pad it's just a toy. :(

Dude....i just bought the wacom bamboo pen specifically for the ipad, and it ROCKS. I sketch alot, and drawing with my fingers was a drag, and the pogo sketch sucked in my opinion. It's kinda pricey for a stand alone device ($35) but it is the most accurate and detailed pen for the ipad out there. Not only for drawing, but for writing too.

GorgonPhone
Dec 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
awww poor ipad 2 buyers are about to cry...lol ii told them..

David085
Dec 8, 2011, 04:47 PM
Can't wait until February to get my hands on the iPad 3 if rumors are true

OneOkami
Dec 8, 2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting I just read about this:
http://gizmodo.com/5866404/bgr-samsungs-making-a-giant+sized-retina-screen-galaxy-tab

Basically the rumor is that Samsung is prepping an 11.6-inch retina display-equipped Galaxy Tab to be revealed in February.

bushido
Dec 8, 2011, 04:52 PM
awww poor ipad 2 buyers are about to cry...lol ii told them..

and the 3rd buyer will cry when the 4th comes out and so on. thats "life"

Abazigal
Dec 8, 2011, 05:16 PM
I think we need to give Apple more credit that they will do more than just slapping a high-res display on an existing ipad and marketing it as is. Once they realise it will run more slowly (as claimed by the 2nd poster), I am sure they will find a way to get around this (I don't know how, not being tech-inclined). The end result should not be any slower than the existing ipad2. :)

Mr. Gates
Dec 8, 2011, 05:17 PM
Samsung will beat them to the punch

iWaldo
Dec 8, 2011, 05:23 PM
I knew this would happen as soon as I ordered my iPad 2.

You're welcome, everyone :p

TrentS
Dec 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
I've been looking at lots of other tablet brands lately, and I'm beginning to like the sleeker rectangular shaped ones. The Asus has a very nice 10.1" tablet with nice front facing stereo speakers. The Archos will soon be coming out with a 1.5 Ghz, 10" tablet with a removable 3G stick that has a pay-as-you-go plan.

So if the iPad 3 is not all I hoped it would be, I might spring for one of the Asus tablets or a nice Archos 3G equipped tablet instead.

Things I'd like to see in the iPad 3: Better primary camera with 1080P video. A more of a rectangular design. A built in projector. A built in FM radio, or FM transmitter. The option to use Flash ( We should have the option to use or not to use it ). 3D capability. Make the screen an instant scanner ( I'm dreaming here ), and make the back of it one big solar panel, to give the battery an extra boost.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Compile 'em all
Dec 8, 2011, 05:57 PM
Thicker than the iPad 2 is an oxymoron and Apple will never do that. The same maybe but thicker not going to happen, out in Feb would love if it was true but not going to hold my fingers cross. But if it is I am ready for it. White HD iPad come to daddy. :D

Agreed. I don't know why you were downvoted. Making a product thicker is very un-Apple. Can you imagine if the engineering team came to Jobs and told him "yeah, just this one problem. The iPad 3 will be thicker than the iPad 2"?

MacDarcy
Dec 8, 2011, 06:22 PM
If Apple does make it thicker to accomadate a better battery to power the Retina display I DOUBT anybody is gonna mind. I mean come on people....and besides, we are talking friggin millimeters thicker. It's not like it's gonna be thick as a brick. Durp!

superduperdom
Dec 8, 2011, 06:47 PM
Oh please pretty please yes, let it be true. I want it now. I have iPad 1 and I want to upgrade soon or I'll explode into
oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium,phosphorus
and some trace elements.
Then I can have 2 iPads in two flavours, one jailbroken and one not.

Detlev_73
Dec 8, 2011, 07:16 PM

----------

OK children, they can't release what they don't have.

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree with you. Ever heard of the saying "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Even in major cities there are HUGE gaps in free wifi. Even in airports, I've been lured by their websites saying they have wifi access only to find out that they charge you for access. It's SUPPOSED to be free.

Now when American carriers accept the fact they can't shaft their customers, by disallowing access to a single device's data plan to be shared over multiple devices even though one's paid for it, this scenario won't be a problem.

godslabrat
Dec 8, 2011, 07:21 PM
Time for a price drop too. It won't have to be a lot, but the cost of entry should be lower than $500 in the third generation of hardware.

concernedone
Dec 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
I love love my iPad 2! :) My mother does too since she isn't too much of a techy person.

So, if this iPad 3 comes out, I'll buy that and give my mother my old one. Win-win situation right there!

Nostromo
Dec 8, 2011, 07:44 PM
Curious about the new display.

Hopefully, Apple will drop the low storage options, and start it out at 64Gb.

There can be a premium model with 128 Gb storage.

Sankersizzle
Dec 8, 2011, 07:52 PM
GOD DAMMIT, I just ordered an iPad 2 today -_______-".

jca666us
Dec 8, 2011, 08:24 PM
Sounds good.

Edit: to the 26 people who down voted this, it will be slower because there is currently no faster CPU on offer to Apple than the existing A5. You're all making an assumption that the A6 will be ready, despite most sources saying it wont. You take an iPad 2 and slap a 'retina' screen on it and its got to do 4x the work...thats fact, not opinion.

There's no A6 until Apple announces one.

The ipad3 will smoke the current iPad.

smulji
Dec 8, 2011, 08:37 PM
Take a look at my updated post. You're assuming the A6 is ready, there are no indications to suggest it is.

----------

Your artwork is not 'in retina' for one thing 'retina display' is an Apple marketing term for a screen with a high pixel density, not some piece of technology.

You have art work at 320x480 for standard/older iPhone and iTouch models, and then 640x960 for your iPhone4(s) 'retina' display. Thats not the same as having 2048x1536, which is what the iPad retina display would be. So no, you're app isn't ready - you need to add another set of images in there 2x the size of your iPad images, otherwise they will look crummy on the new screen.

For small apps, sure its a days work. For games and apps with lots (i.e 1000+) of images, its a ball ache.

I should've made myself more clear. I'm not assuming the A6 is ready. I'm assuming that Apple will release the iPad 3 only when the A6 is ready. Again, assuming the A6 is based on the next-gen Cortex A15 CPU / Rogue GPU architecture, then we won't see the iPad 3 until summer earliest.

If this rumor is true & Apple releases iPad 3 in February, then I agree with you the iPad 3 will be nothing more than an iPad 2 + Retina Display + 1GB RAM + LTE. It will still retain the A5 processor but shrunk to 28nm or 32nm to improve battery performance.

Bigchef89
Dec 8, 2011, 08:40 PM
You guys are awesome with your apple dedication, I'm on a ipad2 I love it so I'm not bashing, but one of the biggest consumer compromises just happened and you feel ok with something new from them? I love anything IT related so I'm not bios, but it seems all my stuff I got from apple was never really field tested I guess? iMac, bad screens hard drives oh and yeah for me I got the one with the messed up logic boards apple wouldn't recall and just throttled down the speeds. I'm pretty good with Linux I know not the same but has apple ever cared about drivers? My log files are like books, and apple told me don't worry that's normal. Business wise they are awesome, but they need to either stay on the phone/pad route or bring back the macs that I used to see that were 3 mortgage payments. And if you bought a iPad2 you didn't mess up this is my computer now I think it's awesome, minus the connections that are coming into it or the data it's sending haha, new screens scare me it didn't happen on my iMac but on this I'm starting to get that yellow tint.

DroidRules
Dec 8, 2011, 08:40 PM
Agreed. I don't know why you were downvoted. Making a product thicker is very un-Apple. Can you imagine if the engineering team came to Jobs and told him "yeah, just this one problem. The iPad 3 will be thicker than the iPad 2"?

Yeah, they might have a problem asking steve because he's dead..... time to stop asking what steve would do. IF it's thicker but offers better battery life isn't that a good trade off? I mean what are we talking 1-2 mm? If that is that big a deal to you and others that said don't make it thicker than you really have issues, and I don't mean with a thicker iPad 3.

I bought a one when the 2 came out for $300 so I'll prob buy the 3 unless I can get a 2 for the same price. Kids have pretty much taken over our iPad so need one for the adults lol. IF the 2 isn't discounted like the iPad was, I'll pick up the 3.

If Apple does make it thicker to accomadate a better battery to power the Retina display I DOUBT anybody is gonna mind. I mean come on people....and besides, we are talking friggin millimeters thicker. It's not like it's gonna be thick as a brick. Durp!
Guess I should of kept reading before I responded lol.

zigzagg321
Dec 8, 2011, 08:43 PM
I would not care if the 3 was thicker. If it needs to be thicker to better, so be it.

I know my gf is going to be pissed because she just bought an ipad2 the other day.

jca666us
Dec 8, 2011, 08:50 PM
Waste of processing power and battery. By increasing the resolution it is going to take more processing capacity devoted to the display and that's going to shorten battery life. I would rather have more processing power and more battery life.

Hmmmm...let's see - if the A6 is more capable and more power efficient, and the display consumes less power, which is rumored to be an IGZO display, then I don't see why battery life or processing power would be diminished at all.

Detlev_73
Dec 8, 2011, 08:55 PM
I would not care if the 3 was thicker. If it needs to be thicker to better, so be it.

I know my gf is going to be pissed because she just bought an ipad2 the other day.

Didn't you tell her that you are a MR member? Surely you must have mentioned the ongoing developments in the last few months.

iChrist
Dec 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
Sounds good.

Wow, troll can't imagine that Apple will address this simple issue and have chip ready. Go home, we know you from your troll posts.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::apple::apple:

----------

GOD DAMMIT, I just ordered an iPad 2 today -_______-".

Ha. Ipad2 is same as ipad1. Why wait so long to get one? Why wait till end of product cycle?

Strange.

:apple:

smulji
Dec 8, 2011, 10:36 PM
If history is anything to go by, going from the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4, there was a bit of a performance hit, at least from a GPU perspective but battery life on the iPhone 4 was much better even with the Retina Display.

So having a Retina Display is no guarantee of worsening battery life. Performance, yes, but again that's assuming Apple sticks with the A5 processor.

happyslayer
Dec 8, 2011, 11:59 PM
Yay, just sold my iPad2 a little over 7 hours ago! Bought a Kindle Fire to hold me over till iPad3. Very nice! I do hope it's really February.

macgeof
Dec 9, 2011, 12:37 AM
Things I'd like to see in the iPad 3: Better primary camera with 1080P video. A more of a rectangular design. A built in projector. A built in FM radio, or FM transmitter. The option to use Flash ( We should have the option to use or not to use it )...

Sorry, but Flash on mobile is now on its way out...

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

Even if Apple changed their stance, Adobe is pulling mobile Flash Player development, so this just ain't gonna happen

torbjoern
Dec 9, 2011, 01:09 AM

That iPad she bought will still be the same after the update. If retina display is that important to her, she shouldn't have bought the iPad 2.

Jensend
Dec 9, 2011, 01:22 AM
but it is entirely another story to be able to run a resolution of 2048x1536 on a 10 inch display. To give it some perspective, Apple's 27 inch displays run at 2560x1440 and requires a fairly powerful discrete graphics chip to do so.
The 30" cinema display came out in 2004, and video cards could support two of them.

The iPad 3 will only need to support about one third the resolution that desktops chips from 8 years ago could....

3D gaming will be tough, sure... even the Playstation 3 and XBox 360 only run games such as the Modern Warfare series at 1024 x 600.

mrxak
Dec 9, 2011, 01:45 AM
I'm new to the whole retina display, only just got it with my new 4S. I am never going back to larger pixel screens on my mobile devices. Never. This thing has spoiled me. Big screens for computers, fine, but I won't be buying any iPad until it has retina. So, hopefully the new one has it. Hopefully also it's lighter and cheaper than the previous models.

If it's all three things, I won't be able to resist. If it's only one or two, I may be waiting for the iPad 4.

torbjoern
Dec 9, 2011, 02:49 AM
I am never going back to larger pixel screens on my mobile devices. Never. This thing has spoiled me. Big screens for computers, fine, but I won't be buying any iPad until it has retina.

I used to think likewise, but IMO the iPad 2 has a very good display despite its pixel size. I'm hoping to get one for Christmas.

mrklaw
Dec 9, 2011, 04:16 AM
I want an A6 with 1GB ram. Retina display for kindle app, zinio etc, but letting games choose to run in ipad 1 resolutoin (1024x768) scaled up, to allow them to be even faster and more gorgeous

Lesser Evets
Dec 9, 2011, 04:18 AM
At this time it is all dependent on the A6 chip's release and development. When the A6 is ready to produce, the iPad3 is ready to roll. February might be a reveal, but I doubt the iPad3 will sell until April or later.

mrklaw
Dec 9, 2011, 04:35 AM
I think we need to give Apple more credit that they will do more than just slapping a high-res display on an existing ipad and marketing it as is. Once they realise it will run more slowly (as claimed by the 2nd poster), I am sure they will find a way to get around this (I don't know how, not being tech-inclined). The end result should not be any slower than the existing ipad2. :)

'shouldn't be any slower than ipad 2' isn't a very catchy marketing slogan :P

Although its possible they push retina this gen, and power next gen (ipad 4), that would be personally disappointing for me as I'm more interested in games than the kind of print type media that would benefit from retina.

usptact
Dec 9, 2011, 04:48 AM
February? Then it will be released in March.