Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitterlogo-150x150.jpg

Twitter has announced a complete redesign of its website and apps, starting with new mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Today we introduce a new version of Twitter. We've simplified the design to make it easier than ever to follow what you care about, connect with others and discover something new. You'll see this new design both on Twitter.com and mobile phones, so that you'll have a familiar experience any time, anywhere.
The Twitter 4.0 app has four main navigation tabs:

twitter-primitives-4up.png

- Home is where you start from: a personal collection of Tweets from the sources you care about. The Tweet details show rich information such as replies, retweets and embedded images.

- Connect is the place to see who followed or mentioned you, retweeted or favorited one of your Tweets. It's where you keep the conversation flowing.

- Discover is where you can tap into the stories and trends people are talking about in your world. You can also find friends, browse interests, and explore hashtags here.

- Me puts you and your interests front and center. From here you can exchange Direct Messages with your followers.
twitterscreen.jpg

Twitter 4.0 is available for iPhone, free on the App Store [Direct Link]. An updated iPad app will be coming down the road.

Article Link: Redesigned Twitter Starts With New iPhone App

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
I wondered why I was suddenly getting twitter follow requests, when I don't even use it.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I know I've been hiding under a rock but did Twitter kill off Tweetdeck for mobile? Their website doesn't even mention iphone versions.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Tweetdeck is still around - I use it on my iPad.

----

Didnt twitter just get a major redesign like 8 months ago?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
No way to change the font size that I can find. Boooooo :(

I couldn't find it either. I can't blame Loren Brichter for quitting Twitter. This redesign isn't the worst thing I've seen, but they ripped the guts of what made Tweetie so great right out of this app. Removing the swipe gesture was not a smart move. Adding extra taps to get to things is never a good design move.

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

A lot of people are complaining, but I like the new interface better.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

kylebshr said:

A lot of people are complaining, but I like the new interface better.

Same hete

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
I know I've been hiding under a rock but did Twitter kill off Tweetdeck for mobile? Their website doesn't even mention iphone versions.

TweetDeck is still available in the App store, granted the new version sucks IMO, I miss the old Design and UI :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This is really cool—like microblogging itself!

I can’t wait to figure out why on earth I need Twitter, sign up for an account, download this app, and check out the new direction! :)

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
i like it aside from the huge blue bar at the top, waste of space, should have put the new tweet in the bottom bar and left more space for the tweets. i know it was at the top before but was it as big? or does it just stick out cause its bright blue?

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I liked that it syncs accounts with your contact lists but otherwise, it was slow and not attractive. Tweetie it ain't anymore. Sticking with Tweetbot.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I think the new layout is much easier to use than the previous. It's very easy to see replies to a tweet from the single tweet view. Also I like the new connect tab, makes it simple to see all interactions and not just mentions.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Very poor use of limited iPhone screen space. Not impressed.

Needs font size option amongst other space saving/efficiency preferences.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Am I the only wondering why they haven't updated the Twitter for Mac app, as well as? :confused:

As for the app, I need more time to make my mind up, but I think looks good so far. Why they removed the swiping gestures, I don't know.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Based on what people here are saying and the screenshots, it looks like I have another app I won't be updating on my iPod.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I couldn't find it either. I can't blame Loren Brichter for quitting Twitter. This redesign isn't the worst thing I've seen, but they ripped the guts of what made Tweetie so great right out of this app. Removing the swipe gesture was not a smart move. Adding extra taps to get to things is never a good design move.

To get back to the front of your timeline, just tap the home tab (even if you're already on the home tab)

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
No way to change the font size is a FAIL. It looks cool but so much of the screen is wasted since it's unused. Who cares about borders and outlines? Just give me the most content that can fit on the already small handheld sized screen!

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Generally good overall, with the exception of:

* Finding myself able to only access one of my accounts, until I figured out how to "switch" accounts.
* "Discover" sucks. As with the right-hand sidebar sections of the main Twitter website, any part of any application which tries to A.I. match me (ie: random shuffle) with other people is annoying. And having a 1/4 of the toolbar dedicated to something I'll never use and don't want and can't turn off makes it all the more annoying. I follow who I want to follow; mostly as a substitute for RSS.

Otherwise, overall not a bad redesign.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
They're probably just spam accounts anyways.

I had 3-4 spammers start following me today. I quickly blocked them before they could fire off something that tagged me. So frigging annoying.

As for the app redesign, I suppose its OK for someone with a single Twitter account, but I manage my own plus one other for work purposes. Its a little trickier now to switch between accounts. The one thing I was really hoping they'd add to the old version was a "flag" on which account had pending notifications. Looks like that ain't happening for sure now. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.