PDA

View Full Version : Redesigned Twitter Starts With New iPhone App

MacRumors
Dec 8, 2011, 02:36 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/redesigned-twitter-starts-with-new-iphone-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/twitterlogo-150x150.jpg

Twitter has announced a complete redesign (http://blog.twitter.com/2011/12/lets-fly.html) of its website and apps, starting with new mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Today we introduce a new version (http://fly.twitter.com/) of Twitter. We've simplified the design to make it easier than ever to follow what you care about, connect with others and discover something new. You'll see this new design both on Twitter.com and mobile phones, so that you'll have a familiar experience any time, anywhere.The Twitter 4.0 app (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/tweetie-2) has four main navigation tabs:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/twitter-primitives-4up.png

- Home is where you start from: a personal collection of Tweets from the sources you care about. The Tweet details show rich information such as replies, retweets and embedded images.

- Connect is the place to see who followed or mentioned you, retweeted or favorited one of your Tweets. It's where you keep the conversation flowing.

- Discover is where you can tap into the stories and trends people are talking about in your world. You can also find friends, browse interests, and explore hashtags here.

- Me puts you and your interests front and center. From here you can exchange Direct Messages with your followers.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/twitterscreen.jpg

Twitter 4.0 is available for iPhone, free (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/tweetie-2) on the App Store [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/app/twitter/id333903271?mt=8)]. An updated iPad app will be coming down the road.

Article Link: Redesigned Twitter Starts With New iPhone App (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/redesigned-twitter-starts-with-new-iphone-app/)

Joe-Diver
Dec 8, 2011, 02:41 PM
I wondered why I was suddenly getting twitter follow requests, when I don't even use it.

dthmtlgod
Dec 8, 2011, 02:44 PM
No way to change the font size that I can find. Boooooo :(

DJAKO
Dec 8, 2011, 02:45 PM
I wondered why I was suddenly getting twitter follow requests, when I don't even use it.

They're probably just spam accounts anyways.

AppleDroid
Dec 8, 2011, 03:01 PM
I know I've been hiding under a rock but did Twitter kill off Tweetdeck for mobile? Their website doesn't even mention iphone versions.

rmwebs
Dec 8, 2011, 03:02 PM
Tweetdeck is still around - I use it on my iPad.

----

Didnt twitter just get a major redesign like 8 months ago?

GollumBoy
Dec 8, 2011, 03:07 PM
Got new app, but website hasn't changed.
Guess it takes a while - looks great the new design though from the pictures.

rwilliams
Dec 8, 2011, 03:10 PM
No way to change the font size that I can find. Boooooo :(

I couldn't find it either. I can't blame Loren Brichter for quitting Twitter. This redesign isn't the worst thing I've seen, but they ripped the guts of what made Tweetie so great right out of this app. Removing the swipe gesture was not a smart move. Adding extra taps to get to things is never a good design move.

kylebshr
Dec 8, 2011, 03:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

A lot of people are complaining, but I like the new interface better.

starbird
Dec 8, 2011, 03:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Same hete

bgtrack
Dec 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
I really love this redesign...they made it a lot easier to view everything that is going on.

Edge1978
Dec 8, 2011, 03:32 PM
I know I've been hiding under a rock but did Twitter kill off Tweetdeck for mobile? Their website doesn't even mention iphone versions.

TweetDeck is still available in the App store, granted the new version sucks IMO, I miss the old Design and UI :(

nagromme
Dec 8, 2011, 03:57 PM
This is really cool—like microblogging itself!

I can’t wait (http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/files/2011/03/say_tweet_again.jpg) to figure out why on earth I need Twitter, sign up for an account, download this app, and check out the new direction! :)

i hate phones
Dec 8, 2011, 03:58 PM
i like it aside from the huge blue bar at the top, waste of space, should have put the new tweet in the bottom bar and left more space for the tweets. i know it was at the top before but was it as big? or does it just stick out cause its bright blue?

Randman
Dec 8, 2011, 04:09 PM
I liked that it syncs accounts with your contact lists but otherwise, it was slow and not attractive. Tweetie it ain't anymore. Sticking with Tweetbot.

mactmaster
Dec 8, 2011, 04:43 PM
I think the new layout is much easier to use than the previous. It's very easy to see replies to a tweet from the single tweet view. Also I like the new connect tab, makes it simple to see all interactions and not just mentions.

SoGood
Dec 8, 2011, 07:08 PM
Very poor use of limited iPhone screen space. Not impressed.

Needs font size option amongst other space saving/efficiency preferences.

buckers
Dec 8, 2011, 08:03 PM
Am I the only wondering why they haven't updated the Twitter for Mac app, as well as? :confused:

As for the app, I need more time to make my mind up, but I think looks good so far. Why they removed the swiping gestures, I don't know.

Sankersizzle
Dec 8, 2011, 08:04 PM
This is actually quite a big step up from the already stellar previous app.

bruceleroy
Dec 8, 2011, 08:38 PM
Dont like it and there is no way to tell if ppl are follwing you back or not

Slix
Dec 8, 2011, 10:52 PM
Based on what people here are saying and the screenshots, it looks like I have another app I won't be updating on my iPod.

DavidLeblond
Dec 8, 2011, 10:55 PM
I couldn't find it either. I can't blame Loren Brichter for quitting Twitter. This redesign isn't the worst thing I've seen, but they ripped the guts of what made Tweetie so great right out of this app. Removing the swipe gesture was not a smart move. Adding extra taps to get to things is never a good design move.

To get back to the front of your timeline, just tap the home tab (even if you're already on the home tab)

chairguru22
Dec 8, 2011, 11:27 PM
No way to change the font size is a FAIL. It looks cool but so much of the screen is wasted since it's unused. Who cares about borders and outlines? Just give me the most content that can fit on the already small handheld sized screen!

batchtaster
Dec 8, 2011, 11:28 PM
Generally good overall, with the exception of:

* Finding myself able to only access one of my accounts, until I figured out how to "switch" accounts.
* "Discover" sucks. As with the right-hand sidebar sections of the main Twitter website, any part of any application which tries to A.I. match me (ie: random shuffle) with other people is annoying. And having a 1/4 of the toolbar dedicated to something I'll never use and don't want and can't turn off makes it all the more annoying. I follow who I want to follow; mostly as a substitute for RSS.

Otherwise, overall not a bad redesign.

drummingcraig
Dec 8, 2011, 11:37 PM
They're probably just spam accounts anyways.

I had 3-4 spammers start following me today. I quickly blocked them before they could fire off something that tagged me. So frigging annoying.

As for the app redesign, I suppose its OK for someone with a single Twitter account, but I manage my own plus one other for work purposes. Its a little trickier now to switch between accounts. The one thing I was really hoping they'd add to the old version was a "flag" on which account had pending notifications. Looks like that ain't happening for sure now. :mad:

redgaz26
Dec 9, 2011, 01:58 AM

On the old version on a profile you choose @ and seen all tweets to that person. Used it a lot. Anyone know if you can still do that as I can't find it.

firestarter
Dec 9, 2011, 08:51 AM
There new design is pretty, but does a lot less.

I can now only see about 4 tweets on the main page, and I can't select a smaller font. It's getting really annoying to have to scroll all the time to keep up with people's updates.

tranceformav2
Dec 9, 2011, 11:47 AM

Absolutely, its a lot cleaner and has more features :)

nburwell
Dec 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
I downloaded it yesterday to see what all the hoopla was about. I like the redesign, yet my biggest gripe is that they still have not introduced RT with comment. I really hate the quote tweet feature. I'm going to continue test driving this into the weekend. I usually use Tweetbot as my Twitter app, so we'll see how I like it come Sunday night. I'm sure I will end up going back to Tweetbot.

Grudge
Dec 9, 2011, 05:56 PM
Does anybody know if it is possible to install the 3.5.1 twitter app from somebody else on my iPhone? I just downgraded from 4.0 to 3.3.6 by reinstalling it via iTunes but the app crashes from time to time so I'd prefer 3.5.1.

Thank you.

Flash SWT
Dec 9, 2011, 09:12 PM
I think this is a real step backwards for users with multiple accounts. It is now a lot more difficult to switch between them, it used to be very simple/quick.

firestarter
Dec 9, 2011, 09:20 PM
I've just switched to Tweetbot - and it's so much better it's unreal.

Strongly recommended!

JuBe
Dec 9, 2011, 09:25 PM
I downloaded it yesterday to see what all the hoopla was about. I like the redesign, yet my biggest gripe is that they still have not introduced RT with comment. I really hate the quote tweet feature. I'm going to continue test driving this into the weekend. I usually use Tweetbot as my Twitter app, so we'll see how I like it come Sunday night. I'm sure I will end up going back to Tweetbot.

Isn't that just the "Quote" option for retweeting?

JuBe
Dec 9, 2011, 09:27 PM
Is it no longer possible to modify the Lists? I determined that I had added a few comedians that aren't actually funny to a comedy list. Now I can see the list, but I can't figure out how to remove people from it.

tablo13
Dec 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
Very poor use of limited iPhone screen space. Not impressed.

Needs font size option amongst other space saving/efficiency preferences.

Yep. Unnecessary borders, way too big profile pictures (bigger than Facebook actually)....

I can't figure out how to get the new design on desktop. I've tried reinstalling Twitter for iPhone, nope. Removing my account in Settings and reinstalling Twitter for iPhone, nope. I only saw the new login and logout screen once.

iDeviceBlogger
Dec 11, 2011, 09:19 PM
Looks a lot better than before, but I don't think it's enough to make me switch from some of the 3rd party apps.

anti_
Dec 12, 2011, 01:11 AM
Streamlined and very clean interface. I only wish there was a bit more customization. For example, to auto-scroll to the first new mention after you refresh. A bit annoying that I'm constantly tapping the top bar to scroll up when the app and I both know that I opened the app from the notification bar to see said mention.

roadbloc
Dec 12, 2011, 04:52 AM
I don't like it.

Scoop24
Dec 12, 2011, 05:07 AM
Tweetbot had me hooked from day 1... New twitter looks nice tho.. But Tweetbot still the cream for me.

The Phazer
Dec 12, 2011, 05:47 AM
It's awful. What have they done?

Phazer

nburwell
Dec 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
After using the redesigned Twitter app on my phone over the weekend, I went back to Tweetbot. I guess since I have used Tweetbot since it was released, I'm used to its features. Plus, I feel that Tweetbot is more polished than the official Twitter app. Valiant effort Twitter, but no thanks.

HabSonic
Dec 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
Is there a way to view other people mentions or they removed this feature completely?

tablo13
Dec 12, 2011, 10:14 PM
Is there a way to view other people mentions or they removed this feature completely?

Search the username?

HabSonic
Dec 13, 2011, 11:51 AM
Search the username?

Yea, but this is far from a good solution for me. You can't copy the name of the person from his profile page, the app doesn't remember your search and there's no autocomplete feature.

This new version is a major step back on so many different levels.

adityashah1989
Dec 14, 2011, 04:49 PM
Is there to add/remove people from lists on the new twitter app? Can't figure it out. Sucks if they removed this vital feature.

Multiple accounts is ruined! So many taps for such a simple function.

tablo13
Dec 15, 2011, 09:08 PM
Direct messages: swipe left on "Me" icon
Multiple accounts: swipe up on "Me" icon

anti_
Dec 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
Direct messages: swipe left on "Me" icon
Multiple accounts: swipe up on "Me" icon

reversed.

swipe up for DMs
swipe left for Accounts

clark85
Jan 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
I've seen mixed emotions about the new twitter app. I have not yet been using twitter on my iPhone yet and while I was browing I found this statistic showing that most people actually not use Twitter on their iPhone (http://www.statista.com/statistics/188736/percentage-of-us-iphone-users-on-twitter-by-selected-states/) .

Is it worth giving the app a shot? Obviously most people here did give it a try already.