PDA

View Full Version : Jawbone CEO Offers Full Refund to UP Wristband Purchasers, Halts Sales

MacRumors
Dec 8, 2011, 03:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/jawbone-ceo-offers-full-refund-to-up-wristband-purchasers/)

Jawbone's $99 UP wristband is designed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/03/jawbones-up-wristband-tracks-activity-movement-and-sleep/) to track users activity, sleep, and food intake to "encourage healthier living". However, it appears the wristband -- released in early November -- has not been well-received.

The situation is so bad, with so many disappointed customers, Jawbone CEO Hosain Rahman has offered all Jawbone purchasers a "no questions asked guarantee" in a letter (http://www.jawbone.com/up/guarantee) posted on Jawbone's website. The product seems to have been temporarily pulled from most retailers, including the Apple Online Store (http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7087LL/A/up-by-jawbone), Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Jawbone+-+UP+Band+(Medium)+-+Black/3116047.p?id=1218378592556&skuId=3116047), and AT&T (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku5380241).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/jawbonewristbands.jpg

For most of you, this program is simply meant to offer peace of mind. Please continue to enjoy your UP band and keep sharing your experience with us. If you encounter any problems with your UP band, contact Jawbone directly for your choice of a replacement and/or refund under this program. It's that simple.

Jawbone remains deeply committed to addressing all issues with UP, investing in the category and giving our customers the tools to live a healthier life. We've temporarily paused production of UP bands and will begin taking new orders once these issues have been sorted out. In the meantime, we'll continue to release app updates for existing users.Any purchaser of a Jawbone UP can get a full refund on the device, and can keep the wristband. The refund website (http://jawbone.com/uprefund) goes live December 9th.

Article Link: Jawbone CEO Offers Full Refund to UP Wristband Purchasers, Halts Sales (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/08/jawbone-ceo-offers-full-refund-to-up-wristband-purchasers/)

crisss1205
Dec 8, 2011, 03:28 PM
I was so close to buying one, should have done it!

LimeiBook86
Dec 8, 2011, 03:30 PM
I never really looked into this product. I'm curious to know what all the issues were with the product that would cause the company to refund the item and stop producing them. :confused:

Cougarcat
Dec 8, 2011, 03:34 PM
I never really looked into this product. I'm curious to know what all the issues were with the product that would cause the company to refund the item and stop producing them. :confused:

According to the letter,

With your help, we’ve found an issue with two specific capacitors in the power system that affects the ability to hold a charge in some of our bands. We’re also fixing an issue with syncing related to the band hardware.

It's temporary. They will start producing them again once they fix the problems.

LimeiBook86
Dec 8, 2011, 03:35 PM
According to the letter...

Well that makes sense then. Thanks for the info. :)

ChrisH3677
Dec 8, 2011, 03:43 PM
Phew! When I heard about these i was worried maybe i shoulda got one instead of my FitBit. It is a shame though, they are a nifty device.

cognetic
Dec 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had one for a little over a week and really love it! I've been tracking meals, sleep, and activity in an intense diet, exercise, and lifestyle change prompted by medical condition. It's very accurate for mileage with swimming but doesn't accurately interpret the data... Dead on for walking, sleep, and upper body workout.

Only drawback was unexpected and random mode change, failure to sync, and odd battery discharge pattern.... All started happening after 6.5 days of use.

No worries though because both email and phone support helped to quickly guide reset, diagnostics, and offered overnight replacement!

This is the best device concept I've found. I do wish it was compatible with Virgin HealthMiles corporate program and made a plug at both businesses for the partnership.

-cog-

Edit to add=> I'm suspect that the issue might be software related as there is some correlation with restarting UP app, restarting iPhone 4S, and sync recovery.... Memory leak, audio/data headset jack dll??

baryon
Dec 8, 2011, 04:13 PM
It's a 99-dollar bracelet that vibrates from time to time, reminding you to get up from your chair. Of course people are disappointed, I could just set my wristwatch to beep every hour, for free.

spazzcat
Dec 8, 2011, 04:20 PM
It's a 99-dollar bracelet that vibrates from time to time, reminding you to get up from your chair. Of course people are disappointed, I could just set my wristwatch to beep every hour, for free.

It does a little bit more then that, but ok...

fishmoose
Dec 8, 2011, 04:22 PM

That's not really all it can do. It can do a lot more than that.

Battlefield Fan
Dec 8, 2011, 04:32 PM
I went through 3 bands in 30 days. It's a terrible product. It's expensive for what it can do and it seems awesome but I grew tired of it after just a month.

Even when it does come back out I'd suggest that people not buy it.

Stewie
Dec 8, 2011, 04:51 PM

They just stopped working. For many people even the 2nd or 3rd replacement did the same thing. Mine quit working after 11 hours.

Also they do a terrible job of tracking my sleep and I question the accuracy of the number of steps it says I am taking.

I am glad I will now be getting this POS of free.

Force332
Dec 8, 2011, 05:10 PM
I think the wristband is a great idea that just hasn't yet been executed properly.

My girlfriend and I each bought one when they came out and we both returned ours about a week and a half ago. After having it for about two weeks, the button stopped working to switch between the different modes. I had some battery issues as well. Also, IMO, the food tracker as it stands is pretty much worthless. We stopped the whole taking a picture of our food about two days into having it. The food tracker needs more detail than just, "how do you feel?" We both also found the pedometer's accuracy to be a little questionable. Checking out your sleep pattern was neat the first few times but then it kind of became, "so what?" I tried the smart alarm feature that tries to wake you up in the optimum state and I found to be no more alert or rested than before. In fact, I frequently went back to bed for the remaining 20 minutes or so before my real alarm went off because I really just wanted to sleep.

When mine broke, we ultimately decided that while it did have some neat features, like the social challenges, it wasn't yet worth it to pay the $99 each. Depending on how this product improves, I may want it in the future. (Ability to sync via Bluetooth please!) Overall, like I said, I think the idea has a lot of potential, but in is current stage isn't quite good enough. I am happy to see they know this and that they are working to improve!

evilyankeefan
Dec 8, 2011, 05:53 PM
Though I was on my 2nd one which just happened to croak last nite, I like the device. It was my day tracking activity device. Yeah the food tracking and the iOS app itself needed improvement. Sleep complemented the Zeo I had.

What really got me going was the integration with DailyFeats where you get points for doing stuff and after a while you can redeem it for rewards. Takes a while to get stuff, but if I'm going to do things it can sort of pay itself off (eventually).

What Jawbone did was commendable even though the product was just not ready. Hopefully they will take their time & make the product better before releasing it again. I think they got a winner on their hands. They just started horribly with it.

Dagless
Dec 8, 2011, 06:48 PM
First I'm hearing of this thing. But I have to say... if they fix the problems and sell them in the UK I'll definitely buy one, maybe more as gifts. Sounds like (in theory) a cool little gadget.

davepilgrimus
Dec 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
Wow this is really surprising. The people that I know that have used this device love it.

thespazz
Dec 8, 2011, 07:52 PM
I don't think I've driven to Target faster than I did after reading that post...

Bought two for me and my bro!

Amazing Iceman
Dec 8, 2011, 09:22 PM
I should have done that!!!
Grrr!!!
I'll try in the morning..
Sooo... what exactly is wrong with it?

Carlanga
Dec 8, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have one & will ask for the cash :)

I went today to the mall and asked about them and was told they could not sell them due to defects and product will be returned (same answer from 3 separate AT&T corporate owned stores in the mall), RadioShack had none and BB neither or were removed. What they told me at AT&T was that they were ordered to removed them from sale STAT so GL to anyone wanting to get one for free. The coupon conditions state that it needs to have been bought from one of their retail partners but since no receipt is needed just the serial I don't see a problem with it if you get one form somewhere else.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Dec 8, 2011, 11:09 PM
It's temporary. They will start producing them again once they fix the problems.

They claim to know what the issue is in their release yet on their site they make it clean that they don't know when it will return so it sounds like they don't actually know what the problem is.

I went out and got one earlier today just as Best Buy was pulling them when I read the release on another site.

skellener
Dec 8, 2011, 11:16 PM
I had ordered one for my brother's B-Day. It arrives tomorrow. Crap, now what do I do.

drummingcraig
Dec 8, 2011, 11:42 PM
I had ordered one for my brother's B-Day. It arrives tomorrow. Crap, now what do I do.

Assuming you ordered it before the announcement you could:

Give it to your brother anyhow and get your money back.
Give it to your brother along with $99 (which you'll get back from the refund) so he can replace it when it breaks.
Return it and get your money back.

Just decide what works best.

japanime
Dec 9, 2011, 01:47 AM
This is the second time I've went for a product that Leo Laporte has gushed about during his broadcasts on the TWiT network — the other one was the Drobo mass-storage system.

Both turned out to be absolutely terrible products.

Makes me wonder if Leo really tries out these products before he begins telling his audience how they are the best things since sliced bread, or if it's just all about the advertising dollars.

baryon
Dec 9, 2011, 04:29 AM

Well that's all that was talked about in their video, other than monitoring your food intake, which is basically "type in what you ate in your phone, and we'll ask you how you feel about it 3 hours later, and your response will determine how you feel about it", which is hardly a feature of the bracelet. Also, yeah, it monitors sleeping habits, but it won't wake you up based on your sleep patterns or anything like that "Sleep Cycle Alarm" app, so it doesn't really "do" anything other than make statistics about an accelerometer, which your phone could easily do, since it already has an accelerometer and it's already in your pocket anyway.

Peterkro
Dec 9, 2011, 04:31 AM
Received mine on 28th November worked well and was extremely useful to me,dead as a dodo yesterday.Seems Jawbone dropped a massive bollock with this,surely normal testing would have picked up the faulty capacitors.

GenesisST
Dec 9, 2011, 06:36 AM

It seems to me that it was meant to replace good judgment... Now, that is a real nice feature. Not having to think about simple things.

Can it tell you when you need to go to the bathroom, because I hate relying on my bladder and bowels to avoid making a mess.

How about that pesky stomach that needs food?

foodog
Dec 9, 2011, 06:50 AM
I thought about this but held off to see what the reviews are like.

Stewie
Dec 9, 2011, 08:38 AM
This is the second time I've went for a product that Leo Laporte has gushed about during his broadcasts on the TWiT network — the other one was the Drobo mass-storage system.

Both turned out to be absolutely terrible products.

Makes me wonder if Leo really tries out these products before he begins telling his audience how they are the best things since sliced bread, or if it's just all about the advertising dollars.

I vote for dollars first, followed by he really has no clue.

MacVixen
Dec 9, 2011, 08:42 AM
I am on my 3rd one now since I got my first one on release day. I was just going to return it - as others have said, it's a cool concept but the execution isn't always all that great and 3 bands in 45 days is ridiculous. But I'm pleased with this offer from jawbone - at least they are stepping up and admitting there is a problem. Their offer to essentially let every single person that purchased one get a refund is great and has helped jawbone's reputation (at least in my eyes).

Battlefield Fan
Dec 9, 2011, 08:53 AM

return it. seriously

joeazariah
Dec 9, 2011, 09:05 AM
I hope that it is a temporary setback. On paper the product looked promising. The product concept is appealing and if it worked as I hoped that it would, it would have appealed to all levels of users.
I was looking to get one, however I will wait for the improved version.

MacVixen
Dec 9, 2011, 09:10 AM

If you ordered it from jawbone your ordered will be cancelled according to the email.

TaylorClark
Dec 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
Am I the only one who have had a good experience with this product?
I got mine on the 18th of November, and it's working great! Have used it everyday 24/7 and have only had to charge it twice!

It Syncs fine to my phone, and I have found that it tracks my steps and sleep pretty accurately!

ZBB
Dec 9, 2011, 10:28 AM
I got mine on the 18th of November, and it's working great! Have used it everyday 24/7 and have only had to charge it twice!

It Syncs fine to my phone, and I have found that it tracks my steps and sleep pretty accurately!

We ordered a pair of them in mid Nov. My wife and I have now been using them with no problems for coming up on 3 weeks.

Overall, its a great product. It would be nice to be able to calibrate it (it appears to overstate the steps).

But we had heard the complaints of them dieing. I think the steps Jawbone are taking are amazing -- costly to them, but showing that they stand behind the product.

They claim to know what the issue is in their release yet on their site they make it clean that they don't know when it will return so it sounds like they don't actually know what the problem is.

I read that differently. It appears that they have identified the cause of the failures (or at lease many of them) -- but they are pulling the product until they can make the necessary engineering, sourcing and production process changes to avoid those failures continuing on new units produced...

anubis72
Dec 9, 2011, 10:35 AM
So when's Apple gonna replace my iPhone 4 with virtually the same problems. Nah, I'm just joking.

RustyIron
Dec 9, 2011, 11:43 AM
I had three of them, and finally got my money back. My big issue was the loose cap. It kept falling off and getting lost.

Functionality was very limited compared to similar products, but the bracelet is a much more attractive package than an armband. But for a hundred bucks, attractiveness does not offset limited functionality and defective design.

NakedPaulToast
Dec 9, 2011, 12:23 PM
I don't think I've driven to Target faster than I did after reading that post...

Bought two for me and my bro!
I think this is sad.

Jawbone has done something extraordinary, something very rarely seen nowadays. You pile more expense onto them for their generous compensation offer.

M87
Dec 9, 2011, 09:02 PM
I think this is sad.

Jawbone has done something extraordinary, something very rarely seen nowadays. You pile more expense onto them for their generous compensation offer.

What exactly do you think Jawbone is going to do with a bunch of broken/likely to break bracelets?

NakedPaulToast
Dec 10, 2011, 12:25 AM
What exactly do you think Jawbone is going to do with a bunch of broken/likely to break bracelets?
It doesn't matter what they do with them.

But they shouldn't have to be paying scammers the full retail cost.

cognetic
Dec 10, 2011, 12:10 PM

I've had a great experience with mine despite the sudden hardware failure and look forward to the recovery of the product & design. We have a very large, national corporate wellness incentive program and this type of device is exactly what our employees will love. My trial is more than personal as we look to enhance our workforce with life-health-balance programming. The existing pedometer design and/or Polar-traditional biometric is limited and this platform improvement gives more dimension in sustaining lifestyle and well behaviors for the masses - it's uniquely trackable, has a virtual log component via iPhone which people love, and (for now) simply graphs relevant indicators.

Jawbone is a great company and it's companies like this I choose to endorse. I have no financial interest other than what I pay for high-performing products to enhance & entertain my busy life. :apple:

-cog-

jaw04005
Dec 10, 2011, 05:05 PM
Well I've had two that died. The second was a replacement that was sent overnight directly from Jawbone. They are supposed to send me another replacement, but I went ahead and applied for the $150 Jawbone store credit anyway. I think ill get a Jambox.

Apparently, you keep the Up anyway and they'll continue to support you.

The product has its flaws even when working, but the lack of proper QA is going to cost Jawbone dearly. I'm glad they're owning up.

theBB
Dec 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
The sign of a good company is in how they respond when things go wrong. I don't have the Jawbone UP, but we own two products from Jawbone at home. Everything I sense or read about them points to well-run company with well -designed products and good customer service. Well, they just gotta make sure these types of product failures are rare. :)

ZBB
Dec 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
We ordered a pair of them in mid Nov. My wife and I have now been using them with no problems for coming up on 3 weeks.

I guess I jinxed myself with the above post. The day after posting, my UP died. About 4 days after charging it was not responding and nothing happened when plugged in to charge.

Jawbone sent me a replacement, but the replacement is now only holding a charge for just over a day (10 days after receiving it).

My wife's UP is also not holding a charge now. That's 3 out of 3 failures...

Time to call jawbone again for 2 more replacements. But I'll be happy to receive the refund check in another few weeks...

TheMacDanny
Jan 1, 2012, 01:27 AM
The link to the "letter" or guarantee is indirect and not available from anywhere within the site. Opaque, the opposite of transparent.

jaw04005
Jan 8, 2012, 08:38 PM
Anyone received their refund or store credit from Jawbone yet?

Edit: Got mine today. $150 nice.