PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Win7 from old MBP to MBA 2011 - Won't Boot

GJSchaller
Dec 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
I have a client with an older MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo model from around 2006-2007. It had a complete system board failure, and rather than repair it, he bought a 2011 MBA (Top of the line, with an i7, 256GB drive, etc.).

The old MBP was running Windows 7 via BootCamp. I was able to extract the drive from the carcas of the beast, hook it up to an external SATA mount, and make an image of the Windows partition using Winclone.

From there, I restored the image onto the MBA, after partitioning the drive using the Boot Camp assistant. Windows boots, but a few seconds in, gives the dread BSoD, and reboots. The BSoD doesn't stay up long enough for me to see what the error is.

The same issue happens in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc. I imagine there's a driver missing that needs to be updated, but I can't tell which one to load, and the Boot Camp CD that the helper created has everything packaged - I'd need to extract them all by hand to make them available for the Windows Repair tool.

Anyone had any luck moving a Windows 7 image from older hardware onto a 2011 MBA? How did you accomplish it?

Thank you!

goMac
Dec 8, 2011, 04:31 PM
I don't think you're supposed to be able to do this necessarily with Windows. Assuming it boots, it's going to be mad about being licensed to the original machine. Re-install seems like the safest bet, but keep in mind if your copy of Windows is OEM, you can't transfer it to the new machine at all, even with a re-install.

GJSchaller
Dec 8, 2011, 04:38 PM
Licensing won't be an issue, we have a KMS for our company.

joec1101
Dec 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
Winclone doesn't work. Period.

Clean install is your best bet. Then copy all the data files over.